test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The Arena of Sompek is returning as the final piece of our Free Tier 6 Ship Event - and we've made changes to it to make it easier to face daily! Read on:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11222513

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    While the Event is active, only one version of the TFO will be accessible. This version of the Arena of Sompek automatically completes upon defeating the first mini-boss at Wave 7, at which point all related rewards will be granted and the operation is considered complete, and no additional waves will spawn. You must complete Wave 7 to earn your Featured TFO Commendation and Coupon Progress Tokens.

Ok this is a pretty stupid change.

You guys are basically encouraging players NOT to play the mission when it is a featured event.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Looks like stopping after the 5th wave (now the 7th) really is the way it's meant to be played.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    What's the deal with the dates? It says starting August 1st...I assume it's supposed to be Thursday the 8th?

EDIT: Nevermind it was changed.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    PLEASE EDIT this change. This is VERY confusing.

What does this means:
    Once the Event has ended, the above version of the TFO will become disabled and an “Infinite” version of Arena of Sompek will become available in its place.

What triggers it? completing the 14 day requirement or NOT available this time around? I could care less for the shinies but want to skip to the UNTIMED event. Why would I have to wait for the 14 day requirement? This is not only very confusing but naive to say the least. Please cascade to whoever design this part of the game.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Temporal mechanics... meh. Poor Daniels. Still wrong date at the end of the article. B)

Edit: just changed, thanks :)
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Good change regarding the event specific version. There were too many debates about how best to play the scenario during the event. This will remove that ambiguity. It also means that those who do want to go for the achievements can do so at any time they like (other than when the event is in play), removing the urgency there.

Nice move.
    Good change regarding the event specific version. There were too many debates about how best to play the scenario during the event. This will remove that ambiguity. It also means that those who do want to go for the achievements can do so at any time they like (other than when the event is in play), removing the urgency there.

Nice move.

The only reason there were debates was because some people were too dumb to realise that players active in the untimed version were more likely to want to get as far as possible, whereas that was likely different for those in the max-20-min versions…

The whole change would have been unnecessary if some people could actually be bothered to think before they act.

This 'fix' thus doesn't solve the problem because the problem wasn't that there were two different versions of the event which is now reduced to one.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • kenlbenkenlben Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    As for the new Section 31 Phaser Rifle how do you get it if you have completed the event already. I read the article and didn't see anything about it but I could have mis-read it or missed it
    The solution to that 'problem' would have been to put a giant marker in front of the queues. PLAY THIS IF YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT THE REWARD!

And perhaps also some form of punishment for those who don't move after round 5 while playing the untimed version, after one or two punishments it should be clear even to the most... stubborn kind of players that they should queue up for the timed mission if they want to die after round five.

That would have been the logical solution. Not simply make the better part of the mission basically unavailable when the complete opposite thing (the thing being available) should be happening.

It's impressive that, after all these years, they somehow still manage to make decisions that are more ridiculous than previous ones. Forgive me the critical attitude here, but after many good decisions that were taken recently, this one simply makes no sense.

> @kenlben said:
    > As for the new Section 31 Phaser Rifle how do you get it if you have completed the event already. I read the article and didn't see anything about it but I could have mis-read it or missed it

You have to play and get 14 vouchers for this go around before it becomes available to you. Each time they bring it back you still have to earn the new reward.

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Redacted - Wasting my time posting to the forums nothing good ever comes of it.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    • “The failure condition of having all players dead simultaneously has been removed from the Event version of the map.
    • This condition remains on the “infinite” version of the TFO only.
    It is our hope that these changes will make the Event experience a cleaner and more enjoyable one.
    Removing all sense of accomplishment and challenge makes it less enjoyable. This was one of my favourite events but you just removed everything that I found makes it great and fun to run during the course of an event. For me auto win events like this are not enjoyable, not fun and not rewarding to play.

Please go back to having some events and content that has a feeling of accomplishment and feeling of reward once completed. I am not convinced these auto win super easy events are the right direction to go for long term player retention.

Couldn’t you make two versions? The easy auto pass how it is now. Then a harder optional version which give the same reward at wave 7 but extra reward and chance to fail for those that like a challenge.

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I think that this is going to be the Event version going forward and they are adding the Arena of Sompek to the regular list of queues. At least, that's the impression I get.

But then again the post is so poorly written it could mean just about anything.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    If they run a bonus coupon progress weekend, I am running this once... If not, then twice...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    I might actually fire one or two shots and then go AFK while I let my team continue the other six rounds. A thing I would never even have considered doing before.

But it is basically what Cryptic appears to want us to do. We're not even allowed to try and get beyond the most basic of basics. So why bother at all then?

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    wait - are the phoenix boxes available yet for the weekend vouchers?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

> @sheldonlcooper said:
    > wait - are the phoenix boxes available yet for the weekend vouchers?

I don't know, but I wish Phoenix would come back.

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    This reads like Breach, in that the 'event' version is trimmed and redone to the point of being a different creature while the perennially available version is the full version.

I like these changes, since it means everyone will be playing by the same rules during the event, and those that want to push for achievements will have as long as they like after the event rather than having to cram it into a 21-day window.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I don't mind these Arena of Sompek changes. It seems that it increases the base-rate needed for completion slightly but allows a lot more accessibility for more players. Then once the basic Sompek has been completed still allowing the rank up as high as you can go in Sompek too for players that enjoy that challenge.

I was hoping the rifle was going to be like the new Temporal Warships where it would be the energy type based off of faction, since you know the technology exist apparently, or at least disruptor to counter the dual phaser pistols but that's minor I suppose.

I'm looking forward to this to earn the rifle, the extra benefits, & most importantly finishing out the free T6 coupon.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Your Last Chance at a Free Ship!

Is that title implying if you haven't started it already you will miss it completely? Or will the T6 free ship vouchers/coupons carry over when it returns another time? Bit confused.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Your Last Chance at a Free Ship!

Is that title implying if you haven't started it already you will miss it completely? Or will the T6 free ship vouchers/coupons carry over when it returns another time? Bit confused.

I'd kinda like to know this as well. Along with what the OP is asking, what does this mean for those of us who already completed getting all of the vouchers earlier? Will we still be getting vouchers to go for another coupon at some point in the future, or is there some sort of alternate option?
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    The Arena of Sompek is returning as the final piece of our Free Tier 6 Ship Event - and we've made changes to it to make it easier to face daily! Read the details in this blog entry.
    Fixed, because the good ambassador apparently needs a refresher on BBCode. Posting naked HTML is a touch unprofessional.

Ships may take the glory, but it's warriors who take the real estate. It's good to have the Arena back for another round, but there're a few things I would say.

First, with respect to the replacement of a timed version... I think that somewhat of a disappointment, given that there was challenge to be had in seeing how many rounds could be cleared in fifteen minutes.

Second, if I understand this correctly...
    Once the Event has ended, the above version of the TFO will become disabled and an “Infinite” version of Arena of Sompek will become available in its place. This scaling challenge allows the boldest captains to test their mettle against unending waves of enemies at ever-increasing difficulties. Prizes for this version remain unchanged from those previously available on the “Untimed” version of Arena of Sompek.
    ...it means that, like CC, Sompek will be available to test players year-round; that is a good thing.

Now, since we're talking about a holodeck exercise, surely it can't be that difficult to have multiple possible arenas? Imagine if there's a pool of X layouts, each with their own hazards, with one being chosen at random for each run. A variant would have a new map chosen after each boss, with no duplicates possible until each possible map has been chosen once.

Lastly, seeing as this is the last TFO for the free T6 ship event... do not summarily eliminate any extra vouchers people might have. Let folks keep them for the next event, and (just in case) allow them to be turned in for marks/R&D material/etc.
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Since this is the final event that will offer t6 ship tokens and I CANNOT make up 3k by playing daily and combining them with what I already have, I won't bother this time. Til I get more info!

Ps: give us an update on weekend event/phoenix boxes. You're currently alienating the player base by keeping us in the dark about these things.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I liked the weekend ones... but as is an event, i like those changes, i dont like to be forced to stay for too long in a TFO, whit the limited amount of time i have to play... from time to time, i like a challenge, but i have to play this too many times to waste so much time on this TFO every day
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • xenovitaxenovita Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    ok guys, so again, I have 1200 points (i recently returned to the game), will I be able to get enough points to get the free ship?

Thanks for your response.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    xenovita wrote: »
    ok guys, so again, I have 1200 points (i recently returned to the game), will I be able to get enough points to get the free ship?

Thanks for your response.

I think, maybe, yes? I'll try and break it down. And I'm sure if my numbers are off someone will correct me.

The buyout, IIRC, is for 500 points and 10 Event Vouchers, that'll cost you 1k Zen, maybe less as they have had sales for them before while events were running.

And getting 50 points per day you run the event (not counting bonus weekends, which I'm sure they'll do) for 21 days will get you another 1050.

You need 3000, so your 1200+500 from the buyout gets you to 1700. Add that to the 1050 for playing every day and you'll get to 2750. So 5 days of bonus points on top of all of that and yes, you can get enough.

That is a LOT to do, and I won't say whether it's worth it or not as everyone has their own opinion when it comes to things like this. But it is apparently possible.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I like the change to the Arena, now people who just want to get their token won't interfere with the endurance people and vice versa. No more asking in chat for 5'n'Die teams. :D

So the infinite people do the 7 round 'warm up' battle then they can queue for the 'real' Arena.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They probably could've done two and make only the limited one give you the event rewards. I won't be able to beat my last record now that there's only a limited one.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Here is what is going on:

Sompek EVENT is 21-day, and is a 7 Round and done TFO. At the end of the tipping point in the 7th Round the TFO is completed and you get your Rewards, which includes the T6 Ship Coupons (50 per day unless a Bonus Weekend then 100 a day), 1 Featured TFO Commendation and other sundry Marks and Dilithium. The TFO will not FAIL if all participants are dead simultaneously.

14 successful days completed in the Sompek EVENT and you get your EVENT Rewards, which includes the Rifle Account Unlock, 50k Dilitium, 500 Fleet Marks, and a 250 Marks Choice Box (which will include Discovery Marks) for the Character that runs it. Also three Account Bound TFO Reward Boxes.

They will be selling a C-Store TFO Commendation Bundle, which will include 10 Featured TFO Commendations, 500 T6 Ship Coupons, and 1 Ultimate Upgrade Token. For the first Weekend it will cost 800 Zen, thereafter 1,000. One per Account for this EVENT.

After the 21-day Sompek EVENT is over, the Unlimited Round Sompek TFO will be added to the normal TFO list. Run it as any other TFO and play as many Rounds as you can until your eyes bleed. If all participants die simultaneously in the normal Sompek the TFO is over.

If you had any of the old Weekend Event Vouchers, they are now worthless as it is after August 1st. They told you this in June.

Sompek will now be either a Featured TFO Event or a normal TFO availible anytime. It will nevermore be a Weekend Event.

There will probably be TWO Bonus T6 Ship Coupon Werkends during this EVENT.

The MAXIMUM number of T6 Ship Coupons you could get during this EVENT is 2,050. If you don't have at least 950 T6 Ship Coupons before the EVENT starts you will NOT be able to get the Free T6 Ship Token, PERIOD.

500 from the C-Store Bundle
    1,000 (10 days) from two Bonus Weekends that you must do early on Thursday after patching and ensure you have timed it right to be able to do it on the Monday before the Bonus Weekend expires.
    550 for Normal daily runs for the other 11 days of the EVENT.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns