test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things STO needs next

Comments

• worf12worf12 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I would like to see a fleet exter class. Many other ships have a fleet version, even the Nova class.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Those species went extinct/mutually annihilated each other during Earth's Middle Age (Picard notes Earth was using Crossbows). Any remaining vessels adrift are aged decaying hulks. That aside, the chances of Cryptic negatiating to use effects and music from BSG in STO are so low as to be effectively non-existent.

I often hear the sound effects from the 1980s BSG. Not sure where the Devs got their hands on them, but they are distinctive to BSG and Buck Rodgers series. Here is one sample that I sometimes hear in TFOs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7s47zp6yaA

Imagine that first sound, but rapid fire and in space combat rather than ground combat. I never did discover which sets use those sounds, so I'm guessing it's from some Fleet Set I do not have access to.

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Those species went extinct/mutually annihilated each other during Earth's Middle Age (Picard notes Earth was using Crossbows). Any remaining vessels adrift are aged decaying hulks. That aside, the chances of Cryptic negatiating to use effects and music from BSG in STO are so low as to be effectively non-existent.
    I often hear the sound effects from the 1980s BSG. Not sure where the Devs got their hands on them, but they are distinctive to BSG and Buck Rodgers series. Here is one sample that I sometimes hear in TFOs.
    Imagine that first sound, but rapid fire and in space combat rather than ground combat. I never did discover which sets use those sounds, so I'm guessing it's from some Fleet Set I do not have access to.
    If I was to guess, I'd guess it comes from a royalty free archive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I would like the sound of the Battlestar Pegasus flying between the two Baseships in intense combat. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    OP, you mean things you want STO to have next and not necessarily what STO needs. Please learn the difference between need and want. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    What STO Wants to Need Next:

How about an update to the Deep Space Encounter (or the addition of a similar mechanic) called Distress Call which could take place either in space or on the ground?
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I hope the storyline will involve Control.

At least with such an enemy we can finally look forward again, instead of going back in time, fighting enemies in fights we already know the outcome of. Fighting Klingons is pretty pointless, especially in STO which has already set out a different path for Fed-Klingon relations.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Quite likely, yes. It was widely used in BSG, was also heard in Star Wars back in '77, and ISTR that being in quite a number of low-budget sci-fi flicks in the '80s.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    the game does not need more ships and gear there is enough going around to waste money on . it needs a real effort into episodes instead of this half hearted one every three months or so . and make admiralty more meaning full . let events happen as you play so you need to respond with your ships within a given time frame that offers decent awards for being successfull on higher difficulties . the current campaigns are like a lengthy tutorial with no meaning .and seriously TFO have gotten boring lately to many over powered modules one shoting npc cruisers etc . and last but not least find a way to disable keybinds for pvp . i know people love them them in pve but they make pvp a farce ,
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    worf12 wrote: »
    I would like to see a fleet exter class. Many other ships have a fleet version, even the Nova class.
    That is already available at fleet level via the Temporal Light Cruiser. You'll likely not see a separate version via a fleet purchase.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Constitution-class_Temporal_Light_Cruiser

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Having now finished all the missions and all the TFOs I find that all there is to do is grind spec points and fill my reputations to make my ship more powerful so that I can repeat the same missions a little bit easier. If that's all there is to this game then it's pretty shallow and barely scratches the surface of what Star Trek should be about. Of course we used to have the foundry for that, I understand there were thousands of new adventures to play, some of them very good, but now that's gone the only thing left is to grind and replay and space barbie.

So a big vote from me for a proper exploration system.

Have you done this for more than one faction sub-type? The Romulans and KDF have a lot of unique story episodes before they merge into the shared episodes. TOS Federation captains only have a few unique episodes ( :( ) but they're good.

Also, ground combat plays differently for tactical, science, engineering captains because of the different kit modules and career skills. More so than with ships where only the career skills change.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Quite likely, yes. It was widely used in BSG, was also heard in Star Wars back in '77, and ISTR that being in quite a number of low-budget sci-fi flicks in the '80s.

A vid I just came across about the creation of the 70s sci-fi sound effects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_hsw3AZcs

Edit - And some more late 70s, early 80s sci-fi sound effects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCkFhbvqRGM

Also, I realize I've moved off from the OP topic at this point. :/
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    what i would like to see in STO is more ground adventure zones. I personally like to play with my away team. Even if the rewards are not really interesting, I like to do the dailies on nimbus, because it is the only place where I can play with my full away team, the dyson bz is great too, but limited. they could extand nimbus.

STO has forgotten that the star trek franchise is not about ships but peoples, ships are only a tool. when I create a character, I imagine also a story for her/him, the ships are only an accessory; i could even use a funny flying bathtub.

the dps race for me is a nonsense (but if players like that, i'm happy for them), this is why i don't buy ships for the traits, consoles, in fact i stopped to buy ships, because i have enough ships, and it costs 1 arm and 1 leg to create different builds.

if the devs could add in the cstore in addition to the ships more little things to buy (weapons, clothes, uniforms etc), that would be a good thing, not at 500 zen!! and stuff with a good quality; I made the mistake to buy the khorath uniform (200 lobi!!!), and this uniform is a piece of sh.. , it is impossible to make something more ugly than that.

the other thing that could be improved, is the UI; for example, that would be interesting of having the throttle bar horizontally.

+ more thing to do, not only moving sliders or pushing buttons.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,496 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Fleshing out the gamma quadrant and making the Dominion an actual demi-faction like the Romulans instead of just a fancier than usual single race unlock (and unfortunately a very niche race that not everyone can stand to play at that). Even just adding Vorta and "alien" as normal leveling character options to go with the jumpstarted hornytoads would be a vast improvement. Re-running the gamma recruit event with the other races available would undoubtedly raise the participation in it considerably over the lukewarm reception it got with just the Jem'Hadar.

As it is, the "gamma quadrant" is nothing but a single battlezone like Gon'cra chopped up and spread around an otherwise empty small sector map. There is a lot of potential there for new missions and other stuff, like a Dominion "home" spot like ESD, Mol' Rihan/Flotilla, and Qo'noS instead of having to make do with just a room in the "Switzerland" spot of the game, DS9.

In fact, bringing Vorta in as a playable race and playing up their intelligence/sabotage aspects with a mini arc or standalone scenario or two could help give science a badly needed shot to get it back in the spotlight with the other two classes. The popularity of "Quark's Lucky Seven" shows the potential of intricate intelligence-operation style missions that the Vorta would really shine in.

That "spy novel" atmosphere would give the Dominion the feel it had in DS9 leading up to the war and really bring out its unique characteristics. The basic Federation tone is networking and exploring, Klingons are all about honor and warrior code, the Romulan faction tone is survival, and the current Dominion one is....nonexistent.

That brings up another point too, similar to the faction-aware dialog thing. If it is possible in the game engine to have hooks that react to personal or racial traits (like telekinesis, telepathy, the various resistances and whatnot) and make little changes in the scenarios depending on those traits it would help in keeping things fresh and encourage trying out more of the traits instead of just the same set from alt to alt like a lot of people seem to do judging by the talk in zone chat and whatnot. It does not even have to be really noticeable and in the foreground, even subtle background ques changing from one run-through to the next (or from doing it with different captains) can do wonders in making things seem less static even if the player does not consciously notice them.
    Last sentence was not needed at all.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    M'ress hairstyles for our kitty cats

GesGayI.jpg
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,496 Arc User
    I have been playing MMOs since WoW was the only one. I have played dozens of them and each and every one from WoW to ESO at endgame is repeating missions, there are no exceptions. All your irrelevant sidetracks are discarded as the irrelevancies they are.

Just as a point of clarity, WoW was never "the only" MMO. Ignoring the text-only and 2D ones, the first 3D MMO was Meridian 59 which came out in the fall of 1996. There were a lot of boxed games that had MMO functionality, and some were set up for both LAN and internet (or even direct dialup to services like AOL) like the first Neverwinter Nights and a few others.

Even if you ignore the internet-connected boxed games and just go with the downloadable ones Everquest came out in the spring of 1999 about five years before WoW came out in late 2004.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I have been playing MMOs since WoW was the only one. I have played dozens of them and each and every one from WoW to ESO at endgame is repeating missions, there are no exceptions. All your irrelevant sidetracks are discarded as the irrelevancies they are.

Just as a point of clarity, WoW was never "the only" MMO. Ignoring the text-only and 2D ones, the first 3D MMO was Meridian 59 which came out in the fall of 1996. There were a lot of boxed games that had MMO functionality, and some were set up for both LAN and internet (or even direct dialup to services like AOL) like the first Neverwinter Nights and a few others.

Even if you ignore the internet-connected boxed games and just go with the downloadable ones Everquest came out in the spring of 1999 about five years before WoW came out in late 2004.
    Everquest didn't just come before WoW but it was also a major influence to WoW. A lot of the devs were Everquest players and could see what did and didn't work in there and this is not speculation as the developers have admitted it freely and aren't trying to hide the influence.

While the Warcraft IP does predate Everquest Warcraft 1-3 were RTS games, so while the story elements for WoW came from the previous games, a signifigant portion of the game mechnics were influence by Everquest.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    what i want also less random TRIBBLE. I want to craft the stuff that i need even if it takes a week. In this game everything is random, as a player, I would like to be able to do my choices.

Even the mission reward can be random, with 1 of my new toon, I have done already 7 times "uneasy ally", for having a kit with kperf. At this point, i'm just disgusted.

This discussion has been closed.