test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geko's comment that the next update would "change the face of the game", explained

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Think it could be as simple as moving on from Discovery themed stuff (I include Awaken in that because it still draws its stuff from Discovery), which would make those players that don't like Discovery very happy. Moving onto the Mirror Leeta Finishing arc for now would achieve that. Actually if that is the last mirror leeta arc that would also make those who dislike her happy too, because we would move on from her (personally I like her). Maybe even Sela's story wraps up once and for all.

I'm pretty sure Sela's story is wrapped, sure she's alive and in custody instead of dead, but it seems she's content in staying where she is and not escaping essentially removing her from the story.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There was not enough XP to get us to the next mission, so we had to grind like hell to even play the next story mission.

And even that was only a problem for those toons which were at the time at level 50 and had played everything (which obviously were a lot, not saying that the complaints were unfounded). If you leveled a toon up normally you'd have been way past the requirements when going for the delta missions. So a self solving problem in the end.

Again, not saying that complaints weren't in order, but the constant whining and using one out-of-context quote by one dev over years may have been overdoing it a little. (Also the "people using memes think they're clever" problem, some thought just repeating this quote would be hilarious made me get slightly allergic to it.)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Again, not saying that complaints weren't in order, but the constant whining and using one out-of-context quote by one dev over years may have been overdoing it a little. (Also the "people using memes think they're clever" problem, some thought just repeating this quote would be hilarious made me get slightly allergic to it.)
    Also taking the quote out of context made it meaningless. The quote was in the context of the profitability of the Delta Ops bundle. Apparently it was the most profitable bundle ever when it was released.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The problem is people kept locking onto mechanics changes. EVERY time it was pointed out that it was Story based... NOPE! Lets talk about mechanics!

Geko said

"Next year's story arc, it's more than just a story arc, it's going to change the face of the game.... I'm not going to play 100 questions with you on what is going to change, but we are changing something significant."

When someone like Geko goes out of his way to state it's not just about the story, but something game-face changingly major, then I can't really say I blame myself, and others, for thinking it is, indeed, not just about the story.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The problem is people kept locking onto mechanics changes. EVERY time it was pointed out that it was Story based... NOPE! Lets talk about mechanics!

Geko said

"Next year's story arc, it's more than just a story arc, it's going to change the face of the game.... I'm not going to play 100 questions with you on what is going to change, but we are changing something significant."

When someone like Geko goes out of his way to state it's not just about the story, but something game-face changingly major, then I can't really say I blame myself, and others, for thinking it is, indeed, not just about the story.

It is odd that he clearly said it wasn't just a story change.. and now.. it's just a story change.

Likely, they had something planned that was scrapped.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Geko said

It is odd that he clearly said it wasn't just a story change.. and now.. it's just a story change.

Likely, they had something planned that was scrapped.

I’m telling you mate, we only end up getting a new loading screen picture and considering how long it takes to load some maps at the moment it will literally change the face of the game. :p
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Nevermind the fact that that quote, taken out of context, stops right before where he clarifies, in the same interview, that the way the game is played (i.e. mechanics) is not changing.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    On this I prefer to just wait and be surprised. I'll be on Vacation during the last two weeks of August so I'll be getting back at right about the right time. :)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Nevermind the fact that that quote, taken out of context, stops right before where he clarifies, in the same interview, that the way the game is played (i.e. mechanics) is not changing.

IF you are referring to the full quote posted in the OP, you are incorrect. He did not say "the way the game is played (i.e. mechanics) is not changing". He said he game wasn't A: going to a new platform or B: getting bridge combat. Him specifying that those 2 things weren't happening is not the same thing as saying "the way the game is played is not changing".

Again. I feel that need to say I honestly don't care about this and only posted this thread for people who don't read reddit. The only part of it I do care about is people saying wrong things that aren't true. So that includes 2 groups:

1) people who claim Geko said mechanics were changing (he never used that term), and

2) people who claim it was always completely clear this was only about a story change. Geko specifically said it was more than a story arc and a significant change.

BOTH of those groups of people are wrong and neither have any moral superiority in this discussion.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2019

IF you are referring to the full quote posted in the OP, you are incorrect. He did not say "the way the game is played (i.e. mechanics) is not changing". He said he game wasn't A: going to a new platform or B: getting bridge combat. Him specifying that those 2 things weren't happening is not the same thing as saying "the way the game is played is not changing".

Again. I feel that need to say I honestly don't care about this and only posted this thread for people who don't read reddit. The only part of it I do care about is people saying wrong things that aren't true. So that includes 2 groups:

1) people who claim Geko said mechanics were changing (he never used that term), and

2) people who claim it was always completely clear this was only about a story change. Geko specifically said it was more than a story arc and a significant change.

BOTH of those groups of people are wrong and neither have any moral superiority in this discussion.

"Next year’s story arc, its more then just a story arc, its going to change the face of the game…. I’m not going to play 100 questions with you on what is going to change, but we are changing something significant in the game as a result of the arc we are telling"

To me the above says 1. The change happens next year(not 2019) 2. The change comes as a result of the story but has bigger extensions into the game changing something significant but 3. As he cleared out later not the very core of the gameplay and 4. he hopes to make a group that was previously unhappy, at least happier

Generally speaking I do recommend hearing after that phrase too on the podcast and his tweet later clarifying it was mostly story based. But obviously it wont be only story based - just some extensions come as part of a story
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    To me the above says...

That's your personal interpretation, and since you framed it that way that's fine. It's completely fine to say what you think something means. What's not fine is claiming he said something he didn't, which both of the groups I listed above are (or were) doing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    To me the above says...

It's completely fine to say what you think something means. It's not fine to claim he said something he didn't, like both of the groups I listed above are (or were) doing.

I dont think many people did hear the full podcast or at least the part from 1h 12 mins to the end. Unfortunately most people are bored to listen in full

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I'm goingto venture a radical opinion and go with "they undestroy Romulus" and everything about the Romulan faction will change as a result.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    I'm goingto venture a radical opinion and go with "they undestroy Romulus" and everything about the Romulan faction will change as a result.

More likely they're tweaking and retconning some of the "Path to 2409" backstory for STO to bring it closwer in line to whatever will be happening in the first season of CBSAA's upcoming "Star Trek: Picard" series.
    And if you watch the ST: P Trailer, Romulus is most definitely destroyed in the Star Trek Prime TV and Film Universe; and ST: P will be covering some of what Picard did after that event. So, no I doubt STO is going to 'undestroy' Romulus.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    "the face of the game" can be taken to mean almost anything -- game mechanics, tier 7 ships, playable Borg cubes, Horta playable race like Trendy promised us. Or just the political situation in the galaxy, such as the universal alliance happening right now not in 100 years.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We all go back to 2150 and start playing from there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

Oh gosh I hope not.

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    I am honesty expecting one of these changes will be updating the timeline. Specifically changing it up so we arent in 2410/2411 at this stage in the story but more like 2415/2416. So basicallt spacing things out better when they happen.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yet another "Geko said" whine-a-thon? Really? :disappointed:
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    foxman00 wrote: »
    I am honesty expecting one of these changes will be updating the timeline. Specifically changing it up so we arent in 2410/2411 at this stage in the story but more like 2415/2416. So basicallt spacing things out better when they happen.

I actually would like them to do this. Its stupid that its been stagment. Would make roleplaying easier for sure. So I do hope they update the timeline to spread it out.
    "the face of the game" can be taken to mean almost anything -- game mechanics, tier 7 ships, playable Borg cubes, Horta playable race like Trendy promised us. Or just the political situation in the galaxy, such as the universal alliance happening right now not in 100 years.

Someone had actually promised Horta as playable race?
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I'd probably take it as the same kind of hyperbole as describing Discovery captains as "An entirely new faction" in the 'Awakening' blog.

Yeah, that struck me a bit...because it isn't even relatively true.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

Someone had actually promised Horta as playable race?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9890613-star-trek-online:-new-playable-species-horta!

I've been waiting over 3 years now :( . NO KILL I !!

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Trendy was awesome.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Trendy was awesome.

Aye, that she was.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I think we can agree on that. She probably still is though, just at some other job.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
This discussion has been closed.