test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Awakening - Elachi Involvement

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,377 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11218993?fbclid=IwAR30PLBOM6lo3hC2-KWFHpx0OKyKQ7AjT0H8xu1PjzDVXapQBj69yicFUzc
Interesting to read the details of this game update, which whilst announced on Bookface hadn't been posted on the forum at the time of this post.

What surprises me here is that the Elachi are returning as antagonists. Do they have free will now? Is T'Ket still an influence? And how would our Romulan friends feel about having to protect them?

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 5,901 Arc User
    Yeah ... uhmmm ... TRIBBLE the Elachi. I'm fine with leaving them to die.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,377 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

To be honest, with there being temporal shenanigans involved (J'ula) I'm surprised the Tholians haven't gotten involved

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Arent elachi technically humanoid shaped space fungus lifeforms? I guess it has to do with the mycelium energy J'Ula uses but yes it is a surprise. I am also wondering what elachi ship we will win. A dread, carrier or sci might be good since there is an abudance of pure tactical ships and from cruisers/battlecruisers
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

Yeah, haven't forgotten the stuff they pulled off. Like, let's ask the Tzenkethi if they have some spare protomatter torpedos. Thre shouldn't be a shortage now that they don't need them for hurq swarms anymore.
  • orpheusjmorpheusorpheusjmorpheus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    They updated the Elachi NPC ships’ subspace jump animation with the Disco spore jump effect awhile back. I thought it was just a glitch, but it was probably in preparation for this update.

In any case, color me intrigued. I like the Elachi as antagonists. The non-Romulan factions don’t get to see a lot of them in the main storyline.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,461 Arc User
    earn a T6 ship? so another event ship.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11218993?fbclid=IwAR30PLBOM6lo3hC2-KWFHpx0OKyKQ7AjT0H8xu1PjzDVXapQBj69yicFUzc
    Interesting to read the details of this game update, which whilst announced on Bookface hadn't been posted on the forum at the time of this post.

What surprises me here is that the Elachi are returning as antagonists. Do they have free will now? Is T'Ket still an influence? And how would our Romulan friends feel about having to protect them?

I thought they always had free will, they were simply being manipulated by the Iconians.

Makes sense they are being used again for two reasons: 1) They were always a creepy, good villain. 2) The whole 'mushroom' drive thing ST:D is pushing is right up their alley. ;)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,048 Arc User
    Honestly I suspect it could be a matter of "lesser of 2 evil" when in comes to protecting the elachi, meaning we're not gonna just forget what they did but what J'Ula is trying is so much worse that allying with the elachi to beat her is a better option then holding a grudge and letting the elachi die.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,019 Arc User
    The Elachi never didn't have free will, they willingly served the Iconians, and not just T'ket either.

And who says we are having to protect them? We don't give two flips about the Elachi, our actions only help them by relation.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,032 Community Moderator
    I do find it interesting that the Elachi are appearing again.
    We know the Elachi have been active since at least the 2150s as well. So they have been around. The question is... when they're not serving the Iconians, what are they doing?

Maybe we're gonna find out.

As for their connection with Mycelial tech... I wonder if some of their own tech is Mycelial based.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,808 Arc User

"You ask why we must cleanse the xenos. I will tell you. The filth of the alien and the witch must be exterminated to preserve the purity of the Human race, lest we degenerate into abomination."
    -Witch Hunter Tyrus at the Conclave of Vera.

Yeah I don't like the Elachi too much either, they must be purged by the Emperor's holy light
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Well, I dont like Elachi but I sort of like their ships, so not too bad
    • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,869 Arc User
      edited August 2019
      Ehh, I am bored of the Elachi.
      Post edited by avoozuul on
      Um... we haven't seen the Elachi for a long time though. Other than the odd Elachi Alert, we don't see really see them after the Iconian War. They just kinda... poofed.
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      edited August 2019
      I am bored of them because I've replayed the episodes involving them on quite a few toons including the queues with them, in fact I don't think I ever found them interesting from the start.
    • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,817 Arc User
      > @lordmerc22 said:
      > Arent elachi technically humanoid shaped space fungus lifeforms? I guess it has to do with the mycelium energy J'Ula uses but yes it is a surprise. I am also wondering what elachi ship we will win. A dread, carrier or sci might be good since there is an abudance of pure tactical ships and from cruisers/battlecruisers

Given the change to Flight Deck Cruisers to Flight Deck Carriers perhaps it will be an FDC.
      So I guess they are going back to the model where they give away ships from doing episodes?
    • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,048 Arc User
      avoozuul wrote: »
      So I guess they are going back to the model where they give away ships from doing episodes?

I'd guess the new ship will be a featured TFO/Episode reward for a timed event.
      edited August 2019
      That's what I meant at least in regards to episode rather than queue.
    • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,076 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »

As for their connection with Mycelial tech... I wonder if some of their own tech is Mycelial based.

Hmm... I'd like that connection. :o
      animated.gif
      Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
      felisean wrote: »
      teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
      Bring it on
      coldnapalm wrote: »
      wishful thinking is not really a reliable source
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,230 Arc User
      lordmerc22 wrote: »
      Arent elachi technically humanoid shaped space fungus lifeforms? I guess it has to do with the mycelium energy J'Ula uses but yes it is a surprise. I am also wondering what elachi ship we will win. A dread, carrier or sci might be good since there is an abudance of pure tactical ships and from cruisers/battlecruisers
      If you condense the stuff the Elachi do in the Romulan Republic story down to a paragraph.... they don't actually feel malevolent. The stuff they do is over the top horrible, but you never get a sense of WHY they do it at all. Were they desperate to survive? Were they callous aggressors? We literally have no idea. But here's that paragraph...

Early on we see the Elachi attack several planets with Romulan and/or Reman refugees living on them. They mostly abduct people, and it's later shown that these people are being used as raw material to grow new Elachi. Since Elachi are fungus people, apparently they reproduce by growing a fungus colony on a humanoid body. The #1 unanswered question is where they LIVE. We don't know of a single planet controlled by the Elachi. Was the space station that the Romulan Republic destroyed their replacement for a home world? It's the only place where we've seen the Elachi method of reproduction in action.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      If you condense the stuff the Elachi do in the Romulan Republic story down to a paragraph.... they don't actually feel malevolent. The stuff they do is over the top horrible, but you never get a sense of WHY they do it at all. Were they desperate to survive? Were they callous aggressors? We literally have no idea. But here's that paragraph...

Early on we see the Elachi attack several planets with Romulan and/or Reman refugees living on them. They mostly abduct people, and it's later shown that these people are being used as raw material to grow new Elachi. Since Elachi are fungus people, apparently they reproduce by growing a fungus colony on a humanoid body. The #1 unanswered question is where they LIVE. We don't know of a single planet controlled by the Elachi. Was the space station that the Romulan Republic destroyed their replacement for a home world? It's the only place where we've seen the Elachi method of reproduction in action.

I also remember in a episodes the translations of elachi communication where abducted people were called like cattle or something like that. Its been a long time since I played the romulan/reman storyline though
    • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
      To be honest, with there being temporal shenanigans involved (J'ula) I'm surprised the Tholians haven't gotten involved
      I was thinking an Undine vs Tholian story would be interesting. A pan-dimensional conflict between two alien, enigmatic species, centered around multiple realities that would peripherally involve our factions. The Undine drawing us in as a pawn to distract the Tholians in their conflict. An opportunity to see a little more of the culture of these strange beings without revealing too much of their true motivations.

A conflict with the Undine could explain why the Tholians are not more active in preventing temporal shenanigans.
      I would like to see the vaadwaur fight the nah'kuhl.
      edited August 2019
      redvenge wrote: »
      I was thinking an Undine vs Tholian story would be interesting. A pan-dimensional conflict between two alien, enigmatic species, centered around multiple realities that would peripherally involve our factions. The Undine drawing us in as a pawn to distract the Tholians in their conflict. An opportunity to see a little more of the culture of these strange beings without revealing too much of their true motivations.

A conflict with the Undine could explain why the Tholians are not more active in preventing temporal shenanigans.

its a bit irrelevant but I always thought out the Tholian-Nahkul conflict got caused through a paradox that created a vicious circle

To explain, at some point tholians steal tox uthat with upper goal to ravage nahkul star

then at some point nahkul travel to the past to try kill a Tholian queen and all her colony - they almost succeed and only the Queen survives who sends a message to all frequencies and then rams(and suicides like that) the nahkul ship

If you think it in chronological order a vicious paradox circle was created:

1. Tholians lose a Queen and a colony and they know Nahkul did it <-- it happened through an incursion but its still in the PAST. Result of this is Tholians develop a hatred and want revenge on Nahkul

2. Tholians get the revenge in the present through Tox Uthat usage on their star ravaging their homeworld

3. Nahkul develop a hatred for Tholians(for the ravaging of their star) and the Federation(for practically not doing anything to prevent or correct it - even when Tox Uthat is recovered, there is no effort to use it to restore their star).

4. Because of the hatred towards the Tholians, the Nahkul do the incursion and number 1 happens - vicious circle

Also as result of all you got Tholians hating and mostly fearing time travellers - and treating all of them as enemies and you got Nahkul trying to time travel in effort to restore their home star. Both species motivations could lead into more arcs in the future
    • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 35,845 Arc User

well, they clearly have one now, given the blog mentions an elachi homeworld​​
      Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

RIP Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks & Calvin Munerlyn

blacklivesmatter.png

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,292 Arc User
      It's in the south of France. Some pigs sniffed them out. :)
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
      Judge Dan Haywood
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,230 Arc User

well, they clearly have one now, given the blog mentions an elachi homeworld​​
      I wonder if Cryptic is gonna say it's in the Mycelial network? The Elachi HW is mentioned as being threatened by the same things that threaten the Mycelial network. Also it'd explain why the Elachi don't live in normal space.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,019 Arc User
      edited August 2019
      I wonder if Cryptic is gonna say it's in the Mycelial network? The Elachi HW is mentioned as being threatened by the same things that threaten the Mycelial network. Also it'd explain why the Elachi don't live in normal space.
      This would be my guess. Does makes you consider, if the Elachi use mycelial tech, and are allied with the Iconians, how much about Mycelial tech do you think the Iconians knew about/had access to?

Though Iconian Gateway tech is a superior technology, so I guess they probably didn't care.
      Most likely enough to know "don't muck with it". Spore Drive was fine because it was just basically surfing the Network. But then we have what the Terrans did, which threatened the multiverse. If the Elachi have some kind of connection to the Network or Mycelial tech... then they probably know about Discovery and Starfleet's experiments with it, as well as the Terrans attempt at using it as a power source.