test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Awakening Appears September 10th!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
We're headed back to 2410, and we're bringing Anthony Rapp with us! Our multi-part #AgeofDiscovery expansion is complete, and on September 10th, the Awakening begins!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11218993

Comments

• novusspesnovusspes Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Oh please no, no, no!
    Even more Discoverystuff dragged into the 25th century.
    Sounds it is basically another Discoverystoryarc.
    And that ugly comic book ship...
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    novusspes wrote: »
    Oh please no, no, no!
    Even more Discoverystuff dragged into the 25th century.
    Sounds it is basically another Discoverystoryarc.
    And that ugly comic book ship...

They already mentioned in the story that J'ula would be a thing during the Age of Discovery expansion, this is continuing that thread. The rest of the Discovery stuff is finished for now. We are back in the year 2410 and not in the past, which is where the DSC episodes were set in and were holographic simulations for those who were Federation, KDF, and Romulan. It is not another Discovery story arc.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Can we go play with the Breen now? or the Tholians? or the Undine?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    This sounds exciting! Looking forward to it!
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    It's impressive how in the span of a few months in-game, we went from "what are you talking about, there is no record of any USS Discovery?" according to season 2 to "here's all you need to know about what happened in 2256 and 2257 and all its secret tech, including from Section 31 despite the galaxy being mostly at peace expect for two crazy time-displaced ladies, team up with this hologram of the LEGENDARY Paul Stamets we somehow found brain patterns of somewhere!"
    In addition, there will be a Mycelial Event coming which allows you to earn a new T6 Elachi ship by completing the new episode, patrols and TFO. Additional details will be released in the days leading up to Awakening’s launch on September 10th.
    Oh yaaaaaaaaay, another grind for a ship. It's been quite a while since we had that.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    they had already put in large amounts of discovery content long before the S2 finale aired and that lockdown on speaking of discovery, her crew, her tech, the mycelial network went into effect...you can't close pandora's jar (yes, it was actually a jar and not a box) after it's been opened​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    they had already put in large amounts of discovery content long before the S2 finale aired and that lockdown on speaking of discovery, her crew, her tech, the mycelial network went into effect...you can't close pandora's jar (yes, it was actually a jar and not a box) after it's been opened​​

My TOS, DMDx4, with crit/dmg Phaser 1 has her name on it. >:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    If Staments and his ship along with it's advanced tech was "lost" according to Star Fleet history, then how could this hologram exist? Wasn't revealing anything about Discovery supposed to be considered treason?

Used to be a time I defended this game even in it's darkest hours, now I find myself playing less and less all the time. Here's hoping Cryptic can get off the Disco ball and focus on something else for awhile.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Sounds interesting.
    Surprised there is also a new Tier 6 Event ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Hooray for Stamets!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Gatekeeping, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Yay, no more 'historical recreations'. While I do appreciate that format vs more of the overused time travel gimmick. It does make things less immersive as a storyline since things are, ya know, not actually happening. ;)

Now if we can just wrap up this storyline and get back to the aborted Jemmy/Hur'q one we were in the middle of...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    If Staments and his ship along with it's advanced tech was "lost" according to Star Fleet history, then how could this hologram exist? Wasn't revealing anything about Discovery supposed to be considered treason?

Used to be a time I defended this game even in it's darkest hours, now I find myself playing less and less all the time. Here's hoping Cryptic can get off the Disco ball and focus on something else for awhile.

Yawn. In the 23rd century of TOS it was a surprise to teh Federation that Romulans looked like Vulcans. In the 24th century, it's no big deal. It's 160 years after the events the U.S.S. Discovery participated in, so yeah, I don't have a problem thinking perhaps what was classified in 2257 is no longer classified or that big a deal in 2410.

And hell, STO added TONS of TRIBBLE from the worst Star Trek series to air (aka Star trek: Voyager); so what's the big deal? By comparison they've hardly added a similar amount from ST: D.

But hey don't fret - Next year I'm sure we'll see nothing but additions from ST: P (you know, Star Trek: Picard) so all you TNG affecianodos will get even more from your favorite series, while us TOS fans are kicked to the curb yet again. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    It's impressive how in the span of a few months in-game, we went from "what are you talking about, there is no record of any USS Discovery?" according to season 2 to "here's all you need to know about what happened in 2256 and 2257 and all its secret tech, including from Section 31 despite the galaxy being mostly at peace expect for two crazy time-displaced ladies, team up with this hologram of the LEGENDARY Paul Stamets we somehow found brain patterns of somewhere!"
    In addition, there will be a Mycelial Event coming which allows you to earn a new T6 Elachi ship by completing the new episode, patrols and TFO. Additional details will be released in the days leading up to Awakening’s launch on September 10th.
    Oh yaaaaaaaaay, another grind for a ship. It's been quite a while since we had that.

I'm personally looking forward to a new free T6 elachi ship! I'll probably even spend a few bucks to get ship slots for it!

• oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User

Yawn. In the 23rd century of TOS it was a surprise to teh Federation that Romulans looked like Vulcans. In the 24th century, it's no big deal. It's 160 years after the events the U.S.S. Discovery participated in, so yeah, I don't have a problem thinking perhaps what was classified in 2257 is no longer classified or that big a deal in 2410.

And hell, STO added TONS of TRIBBLE from the worst Star Trek series to air (aka Star trek: Voyager); so what's the big deal? By comparison they've hardly added a similar amount from ST: D.

But hey don't fret - Next year I'm sure we'll see nothing but additions from ST: P (you know, Star Trek: Picard) so all you TNG affecianodos will get even more from your favorite series, while us TOS fans are kicked to the curb yet again. ;)

That's because the Romulans made themselves known by blowing Earth outposts straight to hell. And it was explained in "Balance or Terror" why nobody knew what the Romulans looked like prior to that incident. The reasons had nothing to do with "being classified".

Finally, if you think Voyager was worse than Discovery, I have some beautiful, tropical beachfront property in the middle of the Sahara I want to sell you. Cheap.

Few months? Discovery was classified in 2258, and it lasted until 2410. Which is 152 years.
    Because it's quite suspicious Section 31 and Starfleet Intelligence didn't talk about that during the last days of the Iconian War. A multiversal fungus network with Section 31 tech may have been useful. So for me, it was declassified recently, just before J'Ula showed up.

And yes, I'm well aware it's because the STO writers didn't know about Discovery and even less how season 2 would end, back then. But since real life writes the plot and the devs didn't even wait long enough to know what would happen, it ended up causing several issues in hindsight and continuity.
    #TASforSTO
  • stoyozstoyoz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Meh. I don't really like the Discovery story arc. Over a year of it is more than enough for me. I hope it'll be over soon.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    The DIsco story arc so far has been amazing, PLEASE don't ruin it with a poorly conceived Holo Stamets! Either you include a piece of dialogue (optional even for people who don't care) of how they got a sentient holo version, or make it the real deal. You could totally pull another Enterprise C and say something happened to Discovery on route to the future. Or hell, since Ja'Ula is from the past, just have Daniels pick up Stamets from the future to help us in 2410!

I hope the Abrokening doesn't shortly follow.
    edited July 2019
    So for me, it was declassified recently, just before J'Ula showed up.
    It was declassified after J'Ula showed up, because she brought spore tech with her, as I said.
    Explain how the Crossfield refit was revealed with the spore drive before J'Ula showed up in the 25th century, then. In fact, the Discovery lockbox blog talks about that during the events of Emergence:

"With new threats on the horizon, oftentimes new tactics and equipment are needed to give you the edge in battle - even if they're from the past. As part of a recent effort to ensure that secrets and discoveries are not lost to time, scientists have been working on much of the top-secret technology pioneered on and around the U.S.S. Discovery. Their effort has revealed that many of these inventions can be combined with cutting edge technology to bring powerful new tactics to forefront of any conflict in a blink."

Also, about Awakening, it's not shown in the blog, but Star Trek.com shows one of the ships -a collab with IDW Comics- being released with the expansion:
    stol2.jpg
    #TASforSTO
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    There is no Crossfield refit.

With the arrival of J'Ula and basically blowing the existance of Mycelial tech into the open, the old classified files were dug up, which include the specs for the Crossfield class. In a way the in game Crossfields are no different than the NX replicas we had before. Replicas using modern 25th Century tech with an older asthetic. Kinda like a Model T but with a modern engine under the hood.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    the first wave of discovery stuff came out BEFORE j'ula was ever a thing​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.