test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Did Star Trek: Picard rip off an idea from Brian Fuller ?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://youtu.be/vvp0UBkI3nk

https://youtu.be/xoD4O5jLtG0

If so I feel bad for him. Give credit where credit is due.

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I ignore those channels for good reason
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      > @theraven2378 said:
      > I ignore those channels for good reason

That doesn't answer the question .
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      Nerdrotic is not a channel I would trust
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
        Oh god... are we gonna start attacking ANOTHER show because some YouTuber said something? *facedesk*
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      • Options
        jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
        Yeah, yeah, everything is "stolen" from someone else. Like, HG Wells' War of the Worlds had aliens landing on Earth and coming out of their spaceship to meet humans, just like in First Contact, so First Contact is a Wells ripoff, right?

<rolleyes.gif>
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        By definition, CBS cannot have stolen anything. Any show concepts he created while he was working for CBS on DSC would have contractually become CBS's property. You can't steal from yourself.

Stop watching Midnight's Edge, you'll be smarter. He and Doomcock are the Alex Joneses of Star Trek.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • Options
        markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        Doomcock literally has one video worth watching, and that's the one where he got an interview with Abdin, simply because he managed to get Abdin to candidly talk about why he filed a case. Only worthwhile one.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • Options
        theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
        The title of this thread is a question and the OP, Lordgyor, never claimed anything as a statement of fact in regards to that question.

Naturally out come the torches and pitchforks.

If there were not rules against trolling...
      • Options
        khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
        Well when you use sources known to make stuff up you should expect a little push back.

However as mentioned...if he created the show or concept while working for CBS his contract would say that everything he creates while under contract to CBS...Star Trek related belongs to CBS. If this is true.
        Your pain runs deep.
        Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
      • Options
        theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
        khan5000 wrote: »
        Well when you use sources known to make stuff up you should expect a little push back.

However as mentioned...if he created the show or concept while working for CBS his contract would say that everything he creates while under contract to CBS...Star Trek related belongs to CBS. If this is true.

As no assertion was made, the OP was not using those sources to support a claim but rather as a basis for the question that was asked.

On your second point, I agree. Even if the idea was offer while not under contract with CBS what is Mr. Fuller able to do? Write Jean-Luc Picard into a new IP called Space: The Other Side of Guilt and Fad Diets? I think not. Though he could use the idea with different characters. As Jonsills suggested just about every story element already exists. It's just a matter of how they poor out of the blender.
      • Options
        lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
        starswordc wrote: »
        By definition, CBS cannot have stolen anything. Any show concepts he created while he was working for CBS on DSC would have contractually become CBS's property. You can't steal from yourself.

Stop watching Midnight's Edge, you'll be smarter. He and Doomcock are the Alex Joneses of Star Trek.

To be fair, that isn't necessarily true. It really depends on what the contract says about who owns what in terms of development. There are many cases in start trek of ideas and such being dropped because a writer retained the rights to a character for example. Thats how voyager ended up with tom paris and not nick locarno. Too many royalty requirements involved. Same with ferasan in sto

Same thing goes for programmers in development jobs. You have to be real careful about what you sign when you're doing a programming job. Some companies will try to royally TRIBBLE you over if you don't

Also, alex jones was right about the frogs ironically, so best not to point too many fingers at him
      • Options
        Also, alex jones was right about the frogs ironically, so best not to point too many fingers at him

Something something broken clock.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
        In general its a good idea to avoid Midnight's Edge. A lot of hate and ranting, but nothing to back it up except conspiracy theories that actually have no weight behind them. All bark, no bite hype trains, poison the well before anyone can even try it stuff.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      • Options
        mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        As so often with a controversial sounding headline posed as a question, the answer is simple:

No.

One can try to put that No in a 15 minute video so it can be properly monetized by youtube standards, but if you got a real job, you probably can do it with the above reply.
        Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • Options
        lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
        For the last time, there was no royalty conflict over Locarno.

Yes there were. It was a spec script originally that bought from the writer. The price the production company paid was for one episode. If they were to use an original character the writer created for that episode they would have to pay a royalty fee and, in the case of using them as a main character in a new series, a creator credit as well. Needless to say they were not willing to provide either of those and thus created a similar character, to get around those requirements

Lets not forget a very similar situation happened with enterprise, as t'pol was originally supposed to be t'pau. An idea that was binned before too long for the same reasons. and the same would happen in regards to cryptic if they suddenly decided to produce a new star trek series centered around romulans that included hakeev, for instance. Cryptic owns the rights to that character, as its their original creation
        Berman simply decided that Locarno was an unlikable character because he betrayed Wesley

Er...What? He did nothing of the sort. If anybody betrayed anybody it was wesley betraying the rest of the (lying) squadron members. Not to say he wasn't right to do so. All nick said was to keep his mouth shut and stick to the 'its your word against theirs' line. That isn't betraying him. They are practically the same character personality wise. If anything you tom paris should be the unlikable one, given he's a petty criminal who joined what amounted to a terrorist organization vs someone who screwed up a flight maneuver that got someone killed by accident and tried to protect the rest of the squadron members (and did at the cost of his own expulsion in the end)
        This urban legend about some mythical royalty issue has been debunked by all of the writers involved.

People lie, people change stories and i've flat out seen tv interviews that say the opposite over the years. Nobody wants to admit to trying to skirt around things like that, its not exactly a good thing to admit to professionally.
        As for jones, if he has ever been right about anything (which I have seen no proof of ever) then it was either accidental or he made the story happen. Nothing else.

He was right about the frogs, he just said it in a sensationalized way, with the 'they're turning the fogs TRIBBLE' stuff. Fundamentally he turned out to be right. tldr is there are increasing incidents of that whole 'frogs can change sexes' stuff going on because of exposure to various drugs, hormones and all that other TRIBBLE people foolishly flush down their toilets instead of disposing of it properly and exposure to some of those chemicals triggered their own natural biological abilities artificially. Unfortunately water treatment plants don't currently filter most such chemicals out of the water supply so it can get into drinking water and waste water that animals and plants get exposed to. But thats a whole other topic. City water is awful enough in alot of places without doing stuff like that
      • Options
        jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
        Jones' claim, dear boy, had nothing to do with the known ability of frogs to change gender under certain environmental pressures (an ability exploited by Michael Crichton in the novel Jurassic Park, where the dinosaurs' designers filled in gaps in DNA sequences with DNA from giant African frogs); he was insisting that frogs were turning g.ay, not changing genders, because of "chemtrails". In other words, no, he wasn't right about that. (He was, however, very loud about it, to the point that even I was aware of the specific stupid claim.)

And Nick Locarno lied about his teammate's death, and persuaded the rest of the squadron to lie right along with him (or just shut up if they couldn't actually lie), in order to protect his own sterling TRIBBLE. Had Paris been a similar person, he wouldn't have been in that rehab facility alone; everyone he betrayed but who went along would have been right there with him. (Also, he'd probably have jumped ship at the first primitive planet where he could set himself up as a god, because "doing the right thing" didn't seem to be in Locarno's vocabulary. Paris, on the other hand, was essentially a good person whose father had left him with some bad habits.)
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
        CBS might very well have used one of Fuller's miniseries pitches for the Picard show, but since they were all a package for the anthology series that was cut down to just one of the stories lengthened out into a conventional series (Discovery) it would not be "stealing" exactly (though I suppose some case could be made out of it if Fuller decided to deep six his career to do it).

Fuller seems to not be concerned about it, and rightly so since it is not exactly an unknown thing in Hollywood. In fact, most contracts like that have option clauses so it would not make any real difference if they used the pitches serially in the same anthology series or in parallel in related spinoffs, he would get paid the same either way. Also, the series has not come out yet and details about who gets credit for what are not always announced beforehand, so he very well may share the credits when it comes out.

Right now there is not enough hard data on it for this to be anything but a tempest in a teacup.
      • Options
        > @theboxisred said:
        > The title of this thread is a question and the OP, Lordgyor, never claimed anything as a statement of fact in regards to that question.
        >
        > Naturally out come the torches and pitchforks.
        >
        > If there were not rules against trolling...

Thank you. I don't trust everything Midnight's Edge says which is why I'm asking around. They are right all the time and they aren't wrong all the time, the truth in between.

I honestly did not expect so many people to freak out over this. Its either false or true, but fixable.

And they do have a source, a friend if Brian Fuller's who they show video footage of, so the ultimate source is not midmight's edge.
      • Options
        markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        azrael605 wrote: »
        For the last time, there was no royalty conflict over Locarno. Berman simply decided that Locarno was an unlikable character because he betrayed Wesley. Nothing more or less. This urban legend about some mythical royalty issue has been debunked by all of the writers involved.
        I saw him quoted as calling Locarno "unredeemable". Mainly because it was recklessness that caused the fatal "accident". Locarno knew the potential for disaster, but did it anyways.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • Options
        > @azrael605 said:
        > > @lordgyor said:
        > > > @theboxisred said:
        > > > The title of this thread is a question and the OP, Lordgyor, never claimed anything as a statement of fact in regards to that question.
        > > >
        > > > Naturally out come the torches and pitchforks.
        > > >
        > > > If there were not rules against trolling...
        > >
        > > Thank you. I don't trust everything Midnight's Edge says which is why I'm asking around. They are right all the time and they aren't wrong all the time, the truth in between.
        > >
        > > I honestly did not expect so many people to freak out over this. Its either false or true, but fixable.
        > >
        > > And they do have a source, a friend if Brian Fuller's who they show video footage of, so the ultimate source is not midmight's edge.
        >
        > To the best of my knowledge the only subject Midnight's Edge has ever been even in the solar system of right about was the existence of the Abdin case, and the only reason they were is because they convinced the poor fool to file the suit. That is it, nothing else. Kurtzman is not fired, the Picard test screenings were not disastrous, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Calling Abdin a fool is uncalled for .
      • Options
        lordgyor wrote: »
        azrael605 wrote: »
        To the best of my knowledge the only subject Midnight's Edge has ever been even in the solar system of right about was the existence of the Abdin case, and the only reason they were is because they convinced the poor fool to file the suit. That is it, nothing else. Kurtzman is not fired, the Picard test screenings were not disastrous, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Calling Abdin a fool is uncalled for .

Not so much. First off, his pro bono lawyers didn't even file suit against the correct part of CBS the first time around.

As for the rest, there's this takedown of the complaint that @duncanidaho11 made a few months back.
        angrytarg wrote: »
        I don't think they got a case, as you have to very deliberately and selectively pick on things that might resemble DSC, the trailer meant to showcase the game has little resemblance to the show.​​

It was also released July, 2017; the same month CBS debuted the extended Discovery trailer which included scenes involving the Tardigrade. :/

Also, if you look at the development thread for the game, this trailer has little to do with most of what's been shown for said game (I did a little research when this came up in the main Age of Discovery thread.) It should be noted that:
        • The game has yet to be released or publicly tested. Development started a few years ago (under the name "Epoch") with infrequent updates marking progress. What we have are individual frames, test animations, and vague trailers on youtube (of disconnected tone and content.) Only one item (the July 2017 trailer) includes a Tardigrade as more than just a logo. Prior: the dev was posting Egyptian architecture, market stalls, nude cave diving, a questionable shower scene, a bit with an old man in a brown robe (venerable monk?), abstract wormhole FX (including what appears to be another plane of reality) generic sci-fi interiors, and some verdant green exteriors. If replication had been attempted during DSC's production, it would have been impractical to anticipate where the game would go with its July trailer (nothing I've found foreshadowed the presence of large Tardigrades or their direct involvement with FTL travel, the focus was on sci-fi ancient Egypt and generic space settings.)
        • The "Stamets" is a Kirk-style lead who happens to be a botanist (his background may be providing context but it doesn't appear core to his actions or interactions. There is very little dialog available.) Early descriptions state that he has a girlfriend and some trailers show him interacting with a cat in space (which we can presume is his.)
        • The "Burnham" is the communications officer, a la Uhura, and doesn't appear to have much involvement beyond that role.
        • The "Culver"...this is an ergregious comparison with Discovery. He's a white guy with a brown beard (filling in what appears to be a Bones-esque friendship with the lead), it's a very select piece of "shadowy" animation (posted after Cruz was cast) that's being used in the comparison videos.
        • The "Tilly," a member of another team. She has red hair and its very difficult to say whether she only appears in one scene (where she's piloting a two-seat space fighter) or adopts a much larger role in the game (one can infer a rival team dynamic with frequent contact but I don't think that's been established yet.)
        • There are many other characters showcased in the game of equal or greater prominence, each primarily distinguished by hair color (for the sake of the main game's rendering capabilities.) It's worth noting because the game is casting a wide net, making incidental similarities more likely.
        • The setting is Egypt 20,000 BC, following the Stargate mold of imagining that to be the product of an ancient space-faring culture.
        • The sci-fi interiors also seem inspired by the Daedalus, circa Stargate SG-1 (though "generic modern sci-fi" including Aliens, the Expanse, Starship Troopers, and Halo would also do.)
        • The "spores" segment is a wormhole scene posted Aug 2015, sans Tardigrade. It does, however, resemble a Stargate portal (rendered as a sphere of moving dots to resemble the ripple effect at a glance.)
        • The plot seems to be a re-imagined Dune prequel, including the formation of deserts in the title locations and Tardigrades standing in (apparently) for both Guild Navigator and Sandworm (blue also matching the deep blue of spice saturated eyes). The connection between works is very directly established with the dev lifting the intro from the 1984 Dune movie for one of his trailers.

Now to do all this as an indie project is a technical accomplishment (though it remains to be seen whether the dev is building a coherent narrative, realizing characters, and coupling that to a complimentary tone; there's been very little dialog posted) but there's still no getting around the fact that this is derivative work. In detail, it doesn't resemble Discovery and any vague similarities either follow from convergent evolution (placing Tardigrades as a pop-science stand-in for alien life [following notable NASA experiments and evangelization by Tyson in Cosmos 2.0), because look at the thing) or genre trends and archetypes (with the Tardigrades game sticking to them and Discovery [in the case of characters] subverting them].)

I don't blame the dev in this, because from comments I've seen he's been surrounded by an echo chamber that's bought into the "CBS stole your work" narrative (without checking the precise dates) and that's a very unusual place to find yourself in while working on a project like this. I do blame those who publicized the issue without doing due diligence in research, they've "taken the side" of an indie dev and tacitly encouraged a lawsuit without appreciating, in full, what that is objectively up against simply to fulfill a dramatic narrative. Win or lose, they're entertained.

Or said another way, people who don't like DSC (which is a valid reaction) are trying to use Abdin to kill the show (which is not).

The basic inspiration for DSC's tardigrades, as well as the character of Paul Stamets, actually came from 2010s biology research. There is a real-life mycologist named Paul Stamets who has spent most of his career studying the transmission of molecules between plants along fungal mycelia. Meanwhile the tardigrade stuff was borrowed from a 2014 scientific paper that has since been disproven (it turned out it was an FTL neutrino-style mistake in data collection).

The show and game probably entered pre-production at about the same time. Drawing from the same source is not plagiarism, it's divergent evolution.
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
        > @starswordc said:
        > lordgyor wrote: »
        >
        > azrael605 wrote: »
        >
        > To the best of my knowledge the only subject Midnight's Edge has ever been even in the solar system of right about was the existence of the Abdin case, and the only reason they were is because they convinced the poor fool to file the suit. That is it, nothing else. Kurtzman is not fired, the Picard test screenings were not disastrous, etc etc etc ad infinitum.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Calling Abdin a fool is uncalled for .
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Not so much. First off, his pro bono lawyers didn't even file suit against the correct part of CBS the first time around.
        >
        > As for the rest, there's this takedown of the complaint that @duncanidaho11 made a few months back. duncanidaho11 wrote: »
        >
        > angrytarg wrote: »
        >
        > I don't think they got a case, as you have to very deliberately and selectively pick on things that might resemble DSC, the trailer meant to showcase the game has little resemblance to the show.​​
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > It was also released July, 2017; the same month CBS debuted the extended Discovery trailer which included scenes involving the Tardigrade. :/
        >
        > Also, if you look at the development thread for the game, this trailer has little to do with most of what's been shown for said game (I did a little research when this came up in the main Age of Discovery thread.) It should be noted that:
        > * The game has yet to be released or publicly tested. Development started a few years ago (under the name "Epoch") with infrequent updates marking progress. What we have are individual frames, test animations, and vague trailers on youtube (of disconnected tone and content.) Only one item (the July 2017 trailer) includes a Tardigrade as more than just a logo. Prior: the dev was posting Egyptian architecture, market stalls, nude cave diving, a questionable shower scene, a bit with an old man in a brown robe (venerable monk?), abstract wormhole FX (including what appears to be another plane of reality) generic sci-fi interiors, and some verdant green exteriors. If replication had been attempted during DSC's production, it would have been impractical to anticipate where the game would go with its July trailer (nothing I've found foreshadowed the presence of large Tardigrades or their direct involvement with FTL travel, the focus was on sci-fi ancient Egypt and generic space settings.)
        > * The "Stamets" is a Kirk-style lead who happens to be a botanist (his background may be providing context but it doesn't appear core to his actions or interactions. There is very little dialog available.) Early descriptions state that he has a girlfriend and some trailers show him interacting with a cat in space (which we can presume is his.)
        > * The "Burnham" is the communications officer, a la Uhura, and doesn't appear to have much involvement beyond that role.
        > * The "Culver"...this is an ergregious comparison with Discovery. He's a white guy with a brown beard (filling in what appears to be a Bones-esque friendship with the lead), it's a very select piece of "shadowy" animation (posted after Cruz was cast) that's being used in the comparison videos.
        > * The "Tilly," a member of another team. She has red hair and its very difficult to say whether she only appears in one scene (where she's piloting a two-seat space fighter) or adopts a much larger role in the game (one can infer a rival team dynamic with frequent contact but I don't think that's been established yet.)
        > * There are many other characters showcased in the game of equal or greater prominence, each primarily distinguished by hair color (for the sake of the main game's rendering capabilities.) It's worth noting because the game is casting a wide net, making incidental similarities more likely.
        > * The setting is Egypt 20,000 BC, following the Stargate mold of imagining that to be the product of an ancient space-faring culture.
        > * The sci-fi interiors also seem inspired by the Daedalus, circa Stargate SG-1 (though "generic modern sci-fi" including Aliens, the Expanse, Starship Troopers, and Halo would also do.)
        > * The "spores" segment is a wormhole scene posted Aug 2015, sans Tardigrade. It does, however, resemble a Stargate portal (rendered as a sphere of moving dots to resemble the ripple effect at a glance.)
        > * The plot seems to be a re-imagined Dune prequel, including the formation of deserts in the title locations and Tardigrades standing in (apparently) for both Guild Navigator and Sandworm (blue also matching the deep blue of spice saturated eyes). The connection between works is very directly established with the dev lifting the intro from the 1984 Dune movie for one of his trailers.
        >
        >
        > Now to do all this as an indie project is a technical accomplishment (though it remains to be seen whether the dev is building a coherent narrative, realizing characters, and coupling that to a complimentary tone; there's been very little dialog posted) but there's still no getting around the fact that this is derivative work. In detail, it doesn't resemble Discovery and any vague similarities either follow from convergent evolution (placing Tardigrades as a pop-science stand-in for alien life [following notable NASA experiments and evangelization by Tyson in Cosmos 2.0), because look at the thing) or genre trends and archetypes (with the Tardigrades game sticking to them and Discovery [in the case of characters] subverting them].)
        >
        > I don't blame the dev in this, because from comments I've seen he's been surrounded by an echo chamber that's bought into the "CBS stole your work" narrative (without checking the precise dates) and that's a very unusual place to find yourself in while working on a project like this. I do blame those who publicized the issue without doing due diligence in research, they've "taken the side" of an indie dev and tacitly encouraged a lawsuit without appreciating, in full, what that is objectively up against simply to fulfill a dramatic narrative. Win or lose, they're entertained.
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Or said another way, people who don't like DSC (which is a valid reaction) are trying to use Abdin to kill the show (which is not).
        >
        > The basic inspiration for DSC's tardigrades, as well as the character of Paul Stamets, actually came from 2010s biology research. There is a real-life mycologist named Paul Stamets who has spent most of his career studying the transmission of molecules between plants along fungal mycelia. Meanwhile the tardigrade stuff was borrowed from a 2014 scientific paper that has since been disproven (it turned out it was an FTL neutrino-style mistake in data collection).
        >
        > The show and game probably entered pre-production at about the same time. Drawing from the same source is not plagiarism, it's divergent evolution.

He isn't going to kill it, its more likely to settle out of court.
      • Options
        edited July 2019
        lordgyor wrote: »
        He isn't going to kill it, its more likely to settle out of court.

Re-read the post. I said that people who hate the show are trying to use Abdin to kill it.

And no, the most likely result is the case is thrown out because the resemblance between the two works is superficial at best.
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
        edited July 2019
        I'm hoping for "Dismissed with Prejudice", like the lawsuit Harmony Gold tried to do against Hairbrained Schemes over some of the mech designs in Battletech.

the "with prejudice" stipulation means you can't try to sue them again for the same thing. And since this so called case is so broad... a Dismissed with Prejudice resolution would effectively end this right then and there.
      • Options
        smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
        A big corporation ripping someone off?

NEVER! >_>;
        dvZq2Aj.jpg
      • Options
        A big corporation ripping someone off?

NEVER! >_>;

*Sigh.* Let's go through this again:
        • Do big corporations rip people off? Yes. Just look at US health insurance.
        • Is there any evidence that CBS specifically ripped Mr. Abdin off? No.

Does your mushroom-ravaged brain comprehend the difference now?
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png