test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PICARD and "Short Treks" season 2 Comic Con tailers

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > Where do you think the possibility of Hugh being leader of the Free Borg (Cooperative) came from?

The trailer does seem to have some STO influences .
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Oh my god - I am SO happy to see that I am not alone! I'd refrained from voicing my opinion on the trailer as most of the comments I've seen have been 'hype hype hypey hype!!"

This trailer did nothing for me. The Borg? Done to death, and am sick of almost every series having to fall back on them in an attempt to hype things up; the Borg have become a masterclass in how not to use villains in a continuing narrative.
    The cameos? Nice - but at this rate Picard will turn out to be a supporting character in his own show.
    The same could be said of Klingons, Romulans or even the Ferengi. Defeated Borg could be used to create some interesting story lines about trauma, loss and re-integrating into society. A parallel of many war stories with the interesting twist that the soldiers are also the innocent civilians.

But what you will probably get is "oh noes, da Borgs is gonna assimulated EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, EVERYWHEN because FEDERATION MANS IS STUPID!" so lots of mindless action occurs culminating the NCC 1701-A shows up and spits out a gazillion fighters to try and stop the STUPER DUPER MEGA ULTRA CUBE, but Lady Chosen One will get her gundam suit and hand-wave away the Borg (and any sense of tension or stakes).
    And yeah, Robot the Sidekick never did anything for me either. I'll quote what CBR said regarding him, as it mirrors how I feel:
    "I know, I know: This is like saying that I hate Santa Claus, isn't it? But Data never really did anything for me beyond provide deus ex machinas and annoy me. We'd seen the "What does it mean to be... human?" thing before with Spock (and, weirdly enough, again with Ilyaprobe in The Motion Picture... Hmm), and Brent Spiner's portrayal shifted from naive to oddly smug somewhere during the show's run, making him all the more irritating ".
    I've had to defend this position a few times over the years; there seems to be this common thought that it's somehow wrong to dislike Data. But I don't like him and I never did.
    I prefered the Doctor from Star Trek:Voyager. He was a program that was expanded and improved to meet the needs and slowly became independent, but still suffered the limits of being a program. (Voy "Latent Image"). I enjoyed his character arc and he remains one of my favorite Star Trek characters.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is still the Children of Khan that Cryptic has ignored for years.
    At this point, if they did the Children of Khan, I suspect it would be more of a 3 episode mini-arc, rather then the more typical 8 mission arc we see now.

That is honestly what I suspect Cryptic would ever do if they ran out of larger arcs to tell. Start doing much smaller two parter missions to deal with some of the cooler things from Trek canon that aren't large enough to get a full 8 mission arc in STO. Things like a Sheliak two parter, or a Children of Khan 3 parter, just throw them all in one journal tab called "The continuing mission" have it be set after all the other arcs in the game as a sort of "now that the galaxy has been saved from all the bigger threats, here's some smaller problems going on"

And what is wrong with that? Star Trek episodes have usually followed the alien of the week or two-parter episodes. Not every mission has to belong to some large arc that deals with some alien threat that wants to destroy the Federation.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    One of @darkbladejk's testing guys spotted something interesting in the trailer.
    UIGIdwt.jpg

Look closely at the map in the upper right corner. Look familiar?

EDIT: NVM, that's what I get for not reading through the thread before posting...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, it's the star charts map - which was already brought up last week​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    starkaos wrote: »
    And what is wrong with that?
    Nothing, nor did I ever say there was.

I was simply pointing out that, if it was done, it likely wouldn't fall into the narrative style STO has used since it began, and thus, likely wouldn't classify as the same kind of "story" Al was talking about.

Suspect has negative connotations. So if I suspect something to happen, then it is something negative. I suspect this politician will cause World War III sounds right compared to I suspect this politician will bring about world peace.
    > @reyan01 said:
    > At this point I'm just sick of seeing Robot the Sidekick's fat face pop up in every other post on Bookface.

Dude, that is mean.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    People also pointed out that the red planet all the Romulan ships were flying too is Mars, they even matched up numerous geographical features. Mars seems to have been given to the Romulans as a refugee world.

That doesn't make any sense at all. They're not going to turn over a core planet that is home to the most important shipyard they have to a bunch of refugees. They would have to be idiots to do something like that
    Where do you think the possibility of Hugh being leader of the Free Borg (Cooperative) came from?

Descent. Where do you think STO got the idea from in the first place?
    It would be great if they did, even if live-action limitations change the look a bit (a forest of glowing ferns would be a hard thing to locate for filming...)

That would be easy enough to find....just film those scenes around chernobyl
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »

When I saw the name "countdown" I thought 'huh, I've already read that and that was an interesting Picard story'. But apparently this is a different/new one.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It would be great if they did, even if live-action limitations change the look a bit (a forest of glowing ferns would be a hard thing to locate for filming...)
    That would be easy enough to find....just film those scenes around chernobyl
    NAh RL isn't like Fallout. Chernobyl is actually very normal looking.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    it actually looks BETTER than normal - radiation is apparently good for environmental growth...just not for people​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > lazarus51166 wrote: »
    >
    > That doesn't make any sense at all. They're not going to turn over a core planet that is home to the most important shipyard they have to a bunch of refugees. They would have to be idiots to do something like that
    >
    >
    >
    > Who says they are turning it over entirely? All they would have to do is give Romulans the lower half or w/e.

I don't think they are turning it over to Romulans so much as accepting Romulan refugees.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2019
    At this point I'm just sick of seeing Robot the Sidekick's fat face pop up in every other post on Bookface.

That's not Robot, that's Mark Zuckerberg. The difference is one of them is trying to become human.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    At this point I'm just sick of seeing Robot the Sidekick's fat face pop up in every other post on Bookface.
    That's not Robot, that's Mark Zuckerberg. The difference is one of them is trying to become human.​​
    And the other wants to become part of Skynet. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @lordgyor said:
    > > @ltminns said:
    > > Where do you think the possibility of Hugh being leader of the Free Borg (Cooperative) came from?
    >
    > The trailer does seem to have some STO influences .

I noticed that too.
    artan42 wrote: »
    And the other wants to become part of Skynet. :p

I never knew that Mark Zuckerberg wants to become part of Skynet.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Skynet is already here, it is Disney. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    disney is not the one spearheading AI development​​

#LegalizeAwoo

> @azrael605 said:
    > > @lordgyor said:
    > > > @somtaawkhar said:
    > > > lazarus51166 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > That doesn't make any sense at all. They're not going to turn over a core planet that is home to the most important shipyard they have to a bunch of refugees. They would have to be idiots to do something like that
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Who says they are turning it over entirely? All they would have to do is give Romulans the lower half or w/e.
    > >
    > > I don't think they are turning it over to Romulans so much as accepting Romulan refugees.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > The Romulans are not going to be living on Mars, they might fly the rescue armada to the Sol system initially and fly past Mars but they won't be staying there.

How do you know that?
    > @azrael605 said:
    > 1. Mars has been populated by humans since the 21st century.
    >
    > 2. Mars is the home of Starfleet's main shipyard.
    >
    > 3. Romulans moving to Mars would neccessitate their joining the Federation, a society that has centuries of institutional hatred directed at it by the Romulan Senate through propaganda disseminated to the population. It would also rob Romulans of their independence.
    >
    > 4. Outside of individuals who say may join Starfleet without being a Federation citizen (like Rom, or the Benzite that outscored Wesley), or a few immigrants, most Romulans will want to follow their ancestors path and find a new world of their own, on their own. They may have learned to accept help finally, but they are not going to allow their people to become planetless refugees.
    >
    > 5. Kristen Beyer and Michael Chabon are running this, not Uwe Boll.

It's not every Romulan, just a group of Refugees, which makes them immigrant. Some Romulan refugees join the federation not all of them or their colonies.

I have no idea who Uwe Boll is.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I have no idea who Uwe Boll is.

Be thankful that you don't. He is a terrible movie director that created video game movies like Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, Far Cry, and Postal.