test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS/Viacom Merger Announcement Expected Soon – Star Trek Re-Unification Cited As Factor (August 8th)

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Considering the fact that the finale had Riker and Troi in their TNG uniforms, about to deal with the Pegasus...
    I'd say the Xindi event happened.

That is the worst ending that any Star Trek series could ever have. Is all of Enterprise just a holographic simulation or just the series finale? If all of Enterprise is just a holographic simulation, then every single event in Enterprise is suspect. Did the Temporal Cold War actually happen or did Riker just add it to his hologram program to make it more interesting. It is almost as bad as the entire season is just a dream from the Dallas series from the 1980s.

All that can be said for certain is that Riker experienced a holographic simulation of the series finale, but there is no proof that he experienced every single episode of Enterprise as a holographic simulation.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    My take is that Riker was watching the holodeck equivalent of a history book :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Oh boy... giant corporations merging together to make an even gianter corporation. Yaaay, that's not disconcerting at all... I wonder how long until Disney owns Star Trek as well as Star Wars?
    Erm, this is actually one former giant corporation reforming into its former self, not the conglomerating that you fear. It's a bit more like hearing that, say, Microsoft is going to welcome 343 Studios back into the fold, and becoming concerned that this means all computer software companies are consolidating into one.

And the point about that terrible finale is that since it takes place after the Xindi incident, and since the William T. Riker we knew on TNG was observing the events, therefore the Xindi incident took place in the Prime timeline. Either Daniels is able to "violate" those "rules" of time travel that were being so confidently promulgated before, or none of the people killed in the attack were of any importance whatsoever to the timeline. I'm not saying which is correct, I'm just presenting the alternatives.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Or when time travel is involved, there is no such thing as a Prime Timeline just a bunch of different timelines that may or may not exist anymore.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering the fact that the finale had Riker and Troi in their TNG uniforms, about to deal with the Pegasus...
    I'd say the Xindi event happened.

That is the worst ending that any Star Trek series could ever have. Is all of Enterprise just a holographic simulation or just the series finale? If all of Enterprise is just a holographic simulation, then every single event in Enterprise is suspect. Did the Temporal Cold War actually happen or did Riker just add it to his hologram program to make it more interesting. It is almost as bad as the entire season is just a dream from the Dallas series from the 1980s.

All that can be said for certain is that Riker experienced a holographic simulation of the series finale, but there is no proof that he experienced every single episode of Enterprise as a holographic simulation.

The producers and writers did the series ender that way in order to leave the possibility open for the series to continue if they could convince Moonves to allow it at the last second. The holodeck simulation made it easy to ignore by saying it was the "official" record but not what "really" happened.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    And hopefully CBS All Access stuff can get canonical stuff instead of exclusively Kelvin *ahem* things.

no, what you'll see is jjtrek becoming canon and TOS will be dumped. I can see this MERger being a mistake

Aww, bless. All TV shows and films are canon. The Kelvin Timeline films (look, no mention of a part time director) already are, as is TOS. That's not going to change, CBS own the IP, not Paramount and they're not going to remove the first of their series' in favour of a defunct film series. Do people think things through before posting or do you just like the sound of moronic conspiracies too much to have a wee bit of a think?
    So you actually think that killing millions of people during the Xindi incident wouldn't cause any change to the timeline when they weren't supposed to die in such an incident? With millions of people dying in one incident, then there is no way to know which changes to the timeline have happened, but the effect would be severe. Billions of people would never be born and Billions other would exist that weren't supposed to exist. Technologies would be delayed or be available at an early date. Certain events would never happen while other new ones would be created.

Nope. It happened in the Prime Timeline. The Xindi are a event that already happened as TNG interacts with ENT as a historical event. Itt's Daniels that's from a different timeline.
    To think that the people, technology, and events in the other Star Trek series wouldn't be affected by killing millions of people during the Xindi incident is incredibly short sighted. Daniels' timeline has changed immensely from the actions of Enterprise. So either Daniels' timeline is a previous timeline before the events of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager where the Xindi incident happened in those shows or Daniels' Timeline is the timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager where the Xindi incident never happened in those shows.

Again with your made up rules. It's not about the number of people killed, it's about changes to the timeline. Next to nobody died on the Kelvin and that timeline was spun off simply by the existence of Nero and Spock in the past. Stop making stuff up as you go along. That's the writer's jobs.
    Or when time travel is involved, there is no such thing as a Prime Timeline just a bunch of different timelines that may or may not exist anymore.

Oh really. So TOS-DS9 are not the Prime Timeline that ENT and DSC are somehow different from. Make up your mind.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Discovery had so much potential with their Spore Drive, but its potential is hardly ever used. Discovery could have been used to explore the multiverse, but all we see is the Mirror Universe which has been done in Enterprise, TOS, and DS9. Turning Discovery into Star Trek: Sliders would have been fun since it could have shown various What If scenarios.

I feel the law suit against CBS from Anas Abdin is legit, hence why the spore drive/tardigrade is no longer being used.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Oh boy... giant corporations merging together to make an even gianter corporation. Yaaay, that's not disconcerting at all... I wonder how long until Disney owns Star Trek as well as Star Wars?
    Erm, this is actually one former giant corporation reforming into its former self, not the conglomerating that you fear. It's a bit more like hearing that, say, Microsoft is going to welcome 343 Studios back into the fold, and becoming concerned that this means all computer software companies are consolidating into one.

Why did it split?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Actually smoke... the Spore Drive works, but is not viable for widespread use, let alone actually legal by Federation Law. Also that little detail of potentially jumping into another universe if your coordinates are off.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Discovery had so much potential with their Spore Drive, but its potential is hardly ever used. Discovery could have been used to explore the multiverse, but all we see is the Mirror Universe which has been done in Enterprise, TOS, and DS9. Turning Discovery into Star Trek: Sliders would have been fun since it could have shown various What If scenarios.
    I feel the law suit against CBS from Anas Abdin is legit, hence why the spore drive/tardigrade is no longer being used.
    That or they were never planning for it to be a series staple. Seriously, Abdin's lawsuit really doesn't have any evidence.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Why did it split?
    Well, according to the info I've been able to quickly Google, Viacom started life as CBS Films, but in 1971 was divested into its own company due to new FCC regulations forbidding networks from owning syndication companies.

(Also, just to make things that little bit more complicated, in 1994 Viacom merged with Paramount Communications, the parent company of Paramount Picures.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    That or they were never planning for it to be a series staple. Seriously, Abdin's lawsuit really doesn't have any evidence.

Evidence in an IP case is not always straightforward since it is an idea and not an action like a break-in or whatever. They go by similarity mostly, which there is a lot of, but also by degrees of contact (of which there is no direct contact but Abdin's project was published on the web so while a bit obscure the details of it were available). On the other hand, the fact that it was published establishes a clear timeline and the game background was up before the development of the show. Similarity evidence is plentiful in the case, the means is there too since it was published. It is the motivation (as in was it a knowing, intentional theft or just two people having the same idea) that is questionable, and these cases usually come down to that very slippery factor.

The thing is, parallel development of ideas has produced that degree of similarity before (though it is very rare) so CBS could be right. On the other hand, Hollywood has a bad track record of stealing ideas. It all boils down to word-against-word, and very often it is the "little guy" that gets the short end of it.

Of course, aside from guilt or innocence, it is quite possible that the suit has put spore drive on the back burner to avoid putting too many eggs in a troubled basket. Moving to back off from the contested content themselves makes a cease and desist order less likely to happen, and CBS would not want even the possibility of the series being put on a forced hold by judicial ham-handedness.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

It was used several times in the last season of Discovery, and they took no steps in the story to make it go away. The only reason it's not being used right now is because Discovery is between seasons.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    See, that's the thing, Smoky - the law isn't about how you "feel", and so far it would appear that Abdin has been unable to uncover so much as a single piece of evidence during discovery that would bolster his claim. This isn't some sort of "David and Goliath" thing, this is more like the Bundy clan taking over that wildlife refuge in Oregon and thinking that would be their launchpad to overthrowing the US government. The "little guy" here is in the wrong, and is stupid to think that sheer bravado and bluster is all that's needed to take down a multinational company.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Discovery is Prime timeline, always has been, not only is it all canon, nothing in it is Kelvin timeline.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It can be debated that Discovery is not part of the Prime Timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager due to the extensive amount of time travel in Enterprise, but Discovery is definitely not part of the Kelvin Timeline.

Sigh, fans don't decide that, nothing does except what the IP owner says.

Discovery is part of the Prime timeline which is not part of the Kelvin timeline or original timeline.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Discovery is Prime timeline, always has been, not only is it all canon, nothing in it is Kelvin timeline.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It can be debated that Discovery is not part of the Prime Timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager due to the extensive amount of time travel in Enterprise, but Discovery is definitely not part of the Kelvin Timeline.

Sigh, fans don't decide that, nothing does except what the IP owner says.

Discovery is part of the Prime timeline which is not part of the Kelvin timeline or original timeline.

Mostly right, except for the TOS part. TNG, DS9, and ENT all had detailed references to TOS, and the others had mentions so TOS is definitely part of the Prime timeline.

As for the DSC and Kelvin timeline having things in common, there actually is quite a bit between them (the stupid useless windows instead of a mainscreen being the most glaring one) but they are clearly not on the same timeline with each other as the events differ too much.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @jonsills said
    >... or none of those millions were important enough to the future...

Well, duh, they were from Florida you know. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > trygvar13 wrote: »
    >
    > Discovery is part of the Prime timeline which is not part of the Kelvin timeline or original timeline.
    >
    >
    >
    > This is 100% false.
    >
    > The Prime Timeline is the original timeline, and the ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY timeline has been referred too as such since the Kelvin Timeline films came out.

Only 50% False. Discovery in not part of the Kelvin Timeline. Don't exaggerate.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    > I feel the law suit against CBS from Anas Abdin is legit, hence why the spore drive/tardigrade is no longer being used.

Thirty five years ago, can't remember exactly where or when, Les Moonves stole the plans for the Spore Drive/Tardigrade after drugging Mr. Abdin. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Evidence in an IP case is not always straightforward since it is an idea and not an action like a break-in or whatever. They go by similarity mostly, which there is a lot of, but also by degrees of contact (of which there is no direct contact but Abdin's project was published on the web so while a bit obscure the details of it were available). On the other hand, the fact that it was published establishes a clear timeline and the game background was up before the development of the show. Similarity evidence is plentiful in the case, the means is there too since it was published. It is the motivation (as in was it a knowing, intentional theft or just two people having the same idea) that is questionable, and these cases usually come down to that very slippery factor.
    Yes, VERY publicly available, as he published a blog detailing the development history. The tardigrade stuff wasn't in the original release. In fact the game was called "Epoch" and tardigrades weren't mentioned at all.

Also the similarities with the characters are so paper thin you could find equally valid similarities with most TV shows. Which really doesn't help his case at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    And then there's the issue of him ripping off other franchises for stuff. So odds are that's going to attract the attention of other IP owners.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    And then there's the issue of him ripping off other franchises for stuff. So odds are that's going to attract the attention of other IP owners.
    Yeah it's a case of "men who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Ignoring a fan production is easy when the fan production sits in the corner quietly. When they get obnoxious and start making noise... not so much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah it's a case of "men who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Ignoring a fan production is easy when the fan production sits in the corner quietly. When they get obnoxious and start making noise... not so much.

I think he still needs to make some money to be worth pursuing with more than a Cease & Desist.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Sigh. "Timelines" aren't determined by visuals, but rather by history. Either that, or TMP isn't part of the "Prime timeline" because they didn't have any pictures of the NX Ent on their rec deck, but did have an image of something with a hoop around it that was never used in any show.

DSC is part of the Prime Timeline, which differs from ours in 1968 (as in our timeline, nobody ever tried to put a nuclear-weapons platform in orbit; instead, the Outer Space Treaty forbade this, which is one of the two main reasons the Orion drive was never fully developed). The Kelvin Timeline splits from the Prime with the destruction of USS Kelvin by the Nerada; this rather unexpected event led to a more militarized version of Starfleet, and a version of Section 31 that was powerful enough to have its own Jupiter Station for development of warships.

Don't get hung up on the visual representations you see on the screen, or you're going to have to conclude that TOS itself leaves the Prime Timeline in season 2 when they change from the velour shirts to something that didn't shrink every time it was washed. (Not to mention when the back of the nacelle changed from a round bump to a grille; I don't think that one was even consistent.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Don't get hung up on the visual representations you see on the screen, or you're going to have to conclude that TOS itself leaves the Prime Timeline in season 2 when they change from the velour shirts to something that didn't shrink every time it was washed. (Not to mention when the back of the nacelle changed from a round bump to a grille; I don't think that one was even consistent.)

Actually it was the other way around, the grilles were part of the 2250s era nacelles along with the shock needles on the bussards. When they went back and lit the model they removed the needles from the front and the grills on the back (the grills were not only rather boring looking, they sometimes threw artifacts in the compositor) with the spheres.

The reason they flipped back and forth a bit was the fact that a screwup resulted in a lot of the newer stock shots being lost and the editor having to substitute stock shots from The Cage for some stuff. IIRC the grills only ever appeared on the big model (the one the Smithsonian now has) and the medium and small shooting models never had them (they always had the spheres). Not having the budget to reshoot the lost stuff is why the ship is only shown from a few angles and is never shown "climbing" or "diving" by much of an angle.

The uniform change would have been a non-issue since they conformed to the same basic pattern and retained the same rank markings and department colors. Even real-world armed services change uniforms a bit from time to time, and it is reasonable that Starfleet may have gone to the hideous double-knit as a cost saving measure or whatever.
    As you can see, Phoenix, the visuals don't matter. Unless, of course, you're so desperately wedded to the idea of their being some fundamental difference between "timelines" that you will seize on improved graphics capabilities as "evidence" of this supposed change.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    As you can see, Phoenix, the visuals don't matter. Unless, of course, you're so desperately wedded to the idea of their being some fundamental difference between "timelines" that you will seize on improved graphics capabilities as "evidence" of this supposed change.

Actually, visuals do matter ever since DS9 decided to show that there is an actual difference between TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons rather than just using the obvious reason of TNG having better makeup techniques to better represent what Klingons should look like.