test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Plasma the only energy type without a mission based Omni beam array reward?

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Yea... the Plasma Exploder builds were pretty lethal at the time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    To answer the OP's question, I honestly think plasma beams are supposed to be the worst in the game. I think it's intentional design. There has always been one beam type that is more powerful than the others. Granted, that beam type has changed over the years. Once it was antiproton, then it was disruptor, etc. It's never been plasma, which has always been at the bottom of the food chain. In imbalanced games, people feel better when they use the stronger thing. But for that to work, something has to be the worst, in order to make the best thing look good. If the beam types were balanced, then the meta would be to use the beam that fits the faction, Fed phaser, KDF disruptor, Romulan plasma and Jem polaron. When the day eventually arrives when we do get a mission reward omni plasma, I am afraid at least one of three things will happen. 1) It will be a weak set that is not worth using. 2) It will be tied to those awful plasma torpedoes (or worse yet, tricobalt) instead of a direct fire torpedo. 3) Very soon after we get the plasma omni, there will be some new thing to boost a different beam type, and plasma will be lacking again.

As for the logic that it doesn't make sense for the story, I don't buy it. In "Beyond the Nexus", no NPC ship uses a tricobalt torpedo, nor is the device even mentioned in the episode. However, this does show us that a weapon combination, like phaser and tricobalt, does not have to be tied to a faction to be in the game. There are also several weapon sets in the game that did not appear in Star Trek canon (movies, shows, etc..) For example, there was no ship in canon that used the combination of disruptor beams and transphasic torpedoes, nor was there a ship that used the combination of antiproton beams and quantum torpedoes. Yet they are in the game.

In canon, by TNG/DS9 era, Romulans were actually using disruptor beams, not plasma, and they were no longer using the slow moving torpedo that could be shot down or evaded. Other races, like the Ferengi and Borg, also used some kinds of plasma weapons (not the slow torpedo). When STO adds a minor race from canon, some of them have ships armed with "direct energy beams", and some don't even have that. Obviously, to make ships for the game, some beam type has to be assigned to them. Plasma could be given to any such race we haven't seen in the game yet. Not to mention, pirates, mercenaries, rebels, and any race from an alternate universe or alternate timeline could be using plasma beams, too.

I would love for my first paragraph to be proven wrong. (Sorry for the long post.) I would love to have a plasma omni set with a direct fire torpedo that is actually strong and can be part of builds that are as good as what I'm using on my other ships. I will believe it when I have it.

The Klingo-Romulan exchange ships in TOS probably used disruptors too since the firing SFX are identical (the only difference is that the Romulans occasionally fired small plasma torpedoes while the Klingons never fired any kind of torpedo in that series).

Also, in ground combat they used the same disrupter pistols as the Klingons for the most part though some of Linville's hand movements in "The Enterprise Incident" have lead to theories that she had a holdout weapon of some sort in her demi-gloved sleeve (either something like a cricket phaser in a sleeve holster or a back-of-the-had strap-on mounted one) that she briefly considered using but decided not to.

One interesting bit of trivia is that "old" Janeway mentioned that the Federation started using phased plasma weapons sometime before she left on her time intervention, which would make it sometime around the Picard show era or a little after. It could be that the devs are waiting to see if there is anything about that in the new show (or they already know about it and are keeping a lid on it as part of nondisclosure or whatever). Perhaps the Romulans used them first and the Federation picked them up from them to diversify their response to adaptors like the Borg or whatever.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    the federation was already considering plasma as far back as the mid 2360s, as a possible anti-borg weapon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Plasma Needs:
    - A 360/Omni Plasma beam weapon
    - A Plasma energy torpedo
    - More plasma consoles...plenty of consoles for other energy types given on missions and even summer event ships
    - A hug & some love from the devs
    - A good plasma mission set (like the nausican/entoiled disruptor set)
    - A Plasma-based rep in upcoming season (I would suggest that Tribbles use plasma weapons, but devs have been ignoring my request for Tribble boffs for years, perhaps because they cant figure out the graphics for a tribble holding a weapon).

• jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Maybe [hopes and prayers] we'll get some borg based plasma [they use plasma in the game] weapons with the new update next year.
    Plasma Needs:
    No arguments there.
    Already exists.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Council_Defense_Pact#Plasmatic_Biomatter_Torpedo_Launcher
    Lobi store, but still a Plasma Energy Torp.
    - More plasma consoles...plenty of consoles for other energy types given on missions and even summer event ships
    Yea... no arguments there. Plasma does need some more support.
    I believe the last livestream brought it up so they are aware and prepping the hug
    May be coming soon.
    - A Plasma-based rep in upcoming season
    Well TECHNICALLY we have a Plasma based rep already with the Romulan Rep.

db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited July 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Plasma Needs:
    Already exists.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Council_Defense_Pact#Plasmatic_Biomatter_Torpedo_Launcher

Interesting torpedo, it would make a nice alternative to all the other energy torpedoes if it was not locked behind the lobi wall.

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    The livestreams are always broadcast through Facebook and the videos are archived there as well, so you can watch them at any time that's convenient for you. :smile:

it's arrogant to think everyone is on fakebook
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Arrogant? LOL. Assumptive maybe. But there's nothing arrogant about it. And speaking of assumptions, how nice of you to assume that I was being "arrogant" or anything else. One need not have a Facebook account to view the Star Trek Online Facebook page or videos.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All the other types have at least two (though tet only has one on ground since Nukara ground is AP). The reps are very weighted toward polaron and antiproton in general.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Because Cryptic?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    warpangel wrote: »
    All the other types have at least two (though tet only has one on ground since Nukara ground is AP). The reps are very weighted toward polaron and antiproton in general.

We also have it in the form of alternate energies for 8472 and Lukari, though it still is the least well represented as it only has three reps with any bearing on plasma (all the others have four, except antiproton which has six). The reputation part is not too bad, it is the lack of a mission omni and the fact that mission drops are the thinnest of the energy types which is a problem for those who cannot scale the lobi wall for the plasmatic biomatter set.
    Plasma Needs:
    No arguments there.
    Already exists.
    Yea... no arguments there. Plasma does need some more support.
    I believe the last livestream brought it up so they are aware and prepping the hug
    May be coming soon.
    - A Plasma-based rep in upcoming season

rattler, I have your signature quote as my ringtone :p
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    @annemarie30 And you got lines from one of my favorite songs in yours. :)
    @Rattler2 is it November yet? I just finished Volume 6
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    I still need to break down and finish Vol. 4.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    One need not have a Facebook account to view the Star Trek Online Facebook page or videos.
    I didn't realize this. Thanks!

Getting dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming. Do you know how hard it is to get a good Linseed oil based window putty these days? Perhaps the solution is on Facebook as well...
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Well at least plasma benefits from the 2 pc set bonus from the Synergistic Retrofitting Set. Plasma also benefits from the underrated 2 pc undine reputation 7.5% cat 2 damage bonus which is considered to be a really good damage boost. It also benefits from the T6 Lukari rep bonuses which is a 39% cat 1 damage boost (lukari rep universal console at T6 rep) and a 2 pc set bonus which adds 15% more giving you about 54% cat 1 bonus. Plasma isn't all that bad unless you want to run 2 omnis.

As far as being the "worst," something has to be the worst in it's category. Right now, plasma happens to be one of the least desirable energy types from the player perspective. After that's changed, something else will be the "worst" in people's minds and we can complain about that. The cycle will repeat itself forever. In terms of getting a mission based plasma omni, I used to worry about it but not so much anymore since the DBB/Omni former meta is now clearly outclassed by the DC/Turret meta. They'll get around to it eventually.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    With the upcoming Picard show and the new trailer I think it’s not unreasonable to assume that the Borg could capture the interest of the DEVs next year. They use plasma so I judge a mission or featured TFO reward in that respect as likely. We have seen something similar with the Dominion theme in Victory is Life and got a rather good morphogenic polaron set there.

In the meantime, if one happens to want to use a DBB plasma set up* and needs aft slots to fill one can check if one has access to miracle worker abilities. As @salazarraze pointed out the undie weapon’s set bonus is nothing to sneeze at and the respective turret would trigger Mixed Armaments Synergies.

*reason for my complicated wording here is that sadly on DBB setups the damage difference between beams and cannons becomes very visible but that is also something the DEVs could change at any given time.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Easiest way of doing a plasma omni was to use the alt rep sets that came in with t6 but common sense didn't prevail.

Technically there are options for plasma omnis but they're buried under the gamblebox chance of a chance nonsense so are simply not worth considering.

Picard trailer was showing a lot of romulans so that might tie into cryptics vague comments about not forgetting about them. One possible TNG thread that jumped out as a possible is the story from unification combined with aftermath of nemesis. Another possible thread is the romulans trying to reverse engineer borg tech to regain their power/standing although as thats kind of been done already they may take it other directions.
  • dragonturtletimmydragonturtletimmy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Definitely needs to be mission reward, You would not be able put both a reputation plasma omni on the same ship with a R&D crafted one on it. The reputation omnis fall into the same category type as the R&D crafted omnis. I think Omega rep gained kinetic omni is the only exception in allowing second "crafted" omni on a ship.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    removed
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    There is now a new Plasma omni available in with the new Awakening season, but rather than being the hoped for "mission" plasma omni, it is in the lobi store as part of a 3-item set.

Can anyone confirm that a lobi omni is treated the same as mission omni with respect to being able to use it at same time on ship as the crafted plasma omni? Certain types of omni (like crafted + reputation) cannot be used at same time. Would be really disappointed if I spent lobi on this and then could not use it.
    edited September 2019
    There is now a new Plasma omni available in with the new Awakening season, but rather than being the hoped for "mission" plasma omni, it is in the lobi store as part of a 3-item set.

Can anyone confirm that a lobi omni is treated the same as mission omni with respect to being able to use it at same time on ship as the crafted plasma omni? Certain types of omni (like crafted + reputation) cannot be used at same time. Would be really disappointed if I spent lobi on this and then could not use it.

The rule of thumb is one set omni and one non-set omni. Since the Lobi omni is a set piece it could not be used with any other set omni though it should be able to be used with a crafted one since that is not part of a set.

Unfortunately the Altamid omni does not change anything for plasma users since it still leaves the majority of players without a readily available plasma omni before endgame levels, when something like that hits the exchange it is usually priced so high it would give whales nosebleeds.

We still need a mission plasma omni or the ability to craft one with a lower tier than XII (even if it is account bound) to send to still-leveling characters.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    @baddmoonrizin we have a necro
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    The rule of thumb is one set omni and one non-set omni. Since the Lobi omni is a set piece it could not be used with any other set omni though it should be able to be used with a crafted one since that is not part of a set.

Can the Omni-Directional Ferenginar Plasma Beam Array ( lock box ) and Omni-Directional Plasma Beam Array (crafted) be used at the same time?

As I understand. Mission/reputation/lobi cannot be used together.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.