test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Brainstorming: Improving the Captains Table

dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
Since it is slightly lacking in appeal currently.

Absolutely minimal work that needs to be done is to add all the regular hub amenities. Shipyard, dabo tables, contraband kitty, the whole nine yards. And please please please with cherry on top make sure 'all' those interact buttons are instant and NOT limited to one player only. (sidenote a 'lot' of the old kdf hub amenities deserve that treatment too. nothing says geko hates you very much like that shiny three second waiting time opening bank, or exchange, or mail when you are kdf)

Once that is done we still have the problem of accessibility. With all the stuff we already have taking up our precious inventory space some gadget to transport your captain right there should be possible.

---snip---

Now the various brainfarts I came up with to make it a choice to hang around.

- A hall pass for non-lifers. Pay 500k dili with your lifer, give it to your non-lifer friend for a two hour hall pass to the captains table. Once the time runs out he gets removed.
- A tailor with all those annoying costume limitations removed.
- Exchange with a 50 item cap instead of the usual 40.
- Remember those old veteran bridge officers some of us got back in the day when dilithium was introduced as a currency? Recruit more of them for 2m dilithium each.
- A doff store where you can exchange unique doffs from one faction to another. (Unique as in Graga Mal for example. Not the regular run of the mill doffs). Maybe even allow the old super rares to 'actually' become ultra rare quality for real. I am looking at you Kel the Retributor!
- A way to sort our doff bag manually again. Because OCD.
- An easier way to see which ASSCARDS you have not claimed yet without having to go through half a dozen different windows. Maybe even claim them that way.
- An easier way to see which shiptraits you have not earned yet. Because the only thing worse than going through hundred ships to see if you have its admiralty card is to see if you have the trait unlocked.
- An option to 'buy out' ship traits you already unlocked on another character for like 10m EC each because you simply cannot stand to drive that horrible ship again. (Obviously only for account earned ships)
- A GPL slot machine where you can win the various non combat vanity pets and other vanity items (all account bound so whoever at cryptic is insisting those have to stay lobi only doesn't have a seizure).
- Access to your various fleet holding stores without actually having to go there. Or with a twist increase access levels to your armadas alpha fleet if your own fleet has not earned those yet (SLACKERS).

Enjoy
Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Access to the Captain's Table is already free of taking up inventory space. That little tiny blob over our homeworlds called the Aenigma Nebula is the doorway. Just fly to it and interact. I think there was talk in a stream of potentially making a ground based doorway on ESD somewhere by Club 47.

Now as for the rest...
    dukedom01 wrote: »
    - A hall pass for non-lifers. Pay 500k dili with your lifer, give it to your non-lifer friend for a two hour hall pass to the captains table. Once the time runs out he gets removed.
    That would be interesting. Although I can see some people screaming bloody murder if its not marketable on the Exchange. You know how Ferengi get about monetizing everything, even if the intent behind something is NOT to make people more space rich.
    - A tailor with all those annoying costume limitations removed.
    Frankly just having a Tailor at all would be an improvement.
    - Exchange with a 50 item cap instead of the usual 40.
    Just having an Exchange would be an improvement.
    - Remember those old veteran bridge officers some of us got back in the day when dilithium was introduced as a currency? Recruit more of them for 2m dilithium each.
    Don't know how to respond to that one.
    - A doff store where you can exchange unique doffs from one faction to another. (Unique as in Graga Mal for example. Not the regular run of the mill doffs). Maybe even allow the old super rares to 'actually' become ultra rare quality for real. I am looking at you Kel the Retributor!
    Maybe actually give us a source of DOffs that help with particular crafting schools?
    - A way to sort our doff bag manually again. Because OCD.
    There was a way to sort them in the first place?
    - An easier way to see which ASSCARDS you have not claimed yet without having to go through half a dozen different windows. Maybe even claim them that way.
    Depends on the person I guess.
    - An easier way to see which shiptraits you have not earned yet. Because the only thing worse than going through hundred ships to see if you have its admiralty card is to see if you have the trait unlocked.
    Might be an interesting QoL thing for people with lots of alts. I know my Fed alts would go nuts over all the traits I got on my main, but the problem is a few are from character only ships like the Kelvin Connie, and a couple are lockbox like the Fed version of Honored Dead.
    - An option to 'buy out' ship traits you already unlocked on another character for like 10m EC each because you simply cannot stand to drive that horrible ship again. (Obviously only for account earned ships)
    You'd have to differentiate between account unlock and not. Code wise probably a nightmare.
    - A GPL slot machine where you can win the various non combat vanity pets and other vanity items (all account bound so whoever at cryptic is insisting those have to stay lobi only doesn't have a seizure).
    Pet Tab first. Then we can talk more pets.
    - Access to your various fleet holding stores without actually having to go there. Or with a twist increase access levels to your armadas alpha fleet if your own fleet has not earned those yet (SLACKERS).
    Would kinda make even having fleet holdings pointless for veteran players. In this case probably gonna have to disagree.

All in all... we just need stuff to DO at the Captain's Table. No one hangs out there really because there's nothing there except Peace and Quiet. And even then... that's easy to get anywhere just by turning off Zone Chat.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    Some additional brainfarts to add:

- Unrestriced access to something similar as phoenix upgrades (only the upgrades). Same base price 4.5k ea / 40k for 10. To keep it for personal use only it needs to immediately bind gear to account however.
    - A slight bonus to upgrading items in there so lifers don't have to wait for the next upgrade weekend all the time.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Did they remove the automatic dil refinement from the LTS? I haven't played in many months and when I logged in yesterday I still had over 200k unrefined dil in my inventory. The same as when I logged in before.

I'm pretty sure it used to refine it all based on the number of days you were away.

If they put an NPC in the Captains Table that could refine dil beyond the normal cap I would stop in every day.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I think the LTS refining runs for about a week since you're last logon with that character and then stops

Can't see anyone burning half a million dilithium to give someone access to the table, certainly not in its current state of abandonment, perhaps as an ec sink but dil is way to useful to be wasted on frivolities.

To expand on the tailor idea have a ship customiser with the ability to display cosmetic effects on the ships in the players active roster. An have the option to purchase them for the requisite marks or tokens as applicable similar to how the physical tweaks to ships gives the option to buy the ship the hull parts are tied into.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    56k Dilitium refined. One week's worth of 8k per day. Out any longer than one week and you are off the 'Dilitium payroll'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    Is there a New Romulus entrance yet?
    I agree it needs a LOT of work, but tbh, there's more important things to fix first.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Romulans can enter the table either from Q'onos or Sol systems. Depending on their faction choice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am a lifer, but I find it hard to justify for Cryptic to work on it. Unless most players are now lifers anyway, this is a social hub to an elite group of people. Even if you upgrade it with ESD level social hub facilities, it's still just another ESD or DS9 - but one only available to a minority of player.

So I agree that there should be some kind of purchasable pass to enter it for non-lifers. (500K Dilithium seems a bit high, though. 500 Dilithium or 5.000 Dilithium might work)

And then add something that it enticing to players. But it can't be excessive. Maybe a vendor or DOFF assignment that awards a limited amount of Phoenix Boxes all year around. Or some place to turn in Dilithium Mining Vouchers and get a better deal or at least something extra.

Some more outlandish Extras:
    Based on your Fleet Holding Idea: If you're on the Captain's Table, you can do a special task that allows you to make a single purchase from a fully leveled fleet once a day. You still need the Fleet Credits, Dilithium and Provisions, but you don't need to wait for all holdings to be maxed out. Maybe you don't benefit from Fleet Discounts, or it's otherwise more expensive than the regular way.

A place to purchase account-bound boxes for copies of Lobi, Lockbox, Promo Ships and Event ships you own. Maybe make it expensive, like 200,000 Dilithium + 50,000 Fleet Credits +5 Fleet Modules expensive, but it's still going to be cheaper for most then buying extra copies from the Exchange.
    Or, if that is too much, at least the ability to purchase account-bound versions of consoles and traits from such ships.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    siotaylor wrote: »
    Is there a New Romulus entrance yet?

I THINK there is an Aenigma Nebula entrance at New Romulus... just not near the warp in point.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    There looks to be a Transwarp Gate in the distance in front of you when you enter the system. Perhaps it is near there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2019
    I went in there and flew around. Didn't see one, though I can't be sure I flew everywhere. It's definitely not near the TW gate.

Perhaps someone will find it, if it's there.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Huh... thought I saw one there... I just flew around the whole planet and nothing...
  • orpheusjmorpheusorpheusjmorpheus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I have a few ideas about this as well. Thinking about relatively low-effort updates.
    • Agreed on having some sort of device to insta-beam to the CT. Unless some super-compelling vendor or minigame is added, it's pointless to go to home system > home system space map > CT space map > CT. Maybe call the device a "Captain's Table Iconian Gateway Beacon" and allow it to beam the player from any (non-mission) map straight to the CT interior with minimal/no cooldown on reuse. I'd use the CT all the time if this alone was added.
    • Ditch the CT space map. Again, it's just an extra click to get there.
    • Add any general utilities that aren't there already (security officer, shipyard, etc.)
    • Consolidate life-time/vet perks at that location (Veteran Dil Refiner, Mugato handler, combat environmental suit claim, fireworks reclaim)
    • Add a few, easy to setup lifetime exclusive vendors. My suggestion would be phaser, disruptor, and polaron variants of those plasma weapons they added with the RR (repeater pistol, piercing rifle, wide-beam rifle, etc.).
    • Maybe add a DOFF mission-giver to the location that provides missions with unusual benefits (large stack of credits, marks packages, dil) and 20 hour cooldowns.
    • Replace the CT ground map with something more straightforward and condensed. Maybe a reskin of Club 47.
    I believe there was talk of making doorways to the Captain's Table on ground maps at one point.

Also just reskinning Club 47 won't work honestly because the map would just be too small. Also Club 47 is kinda connected to ESD so unless you want to fully reskin an ESD map...

At least let Tacofangs and his team have a crack at tweaking the interior though. Make it pretty.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Heh...
    This subject has been debated ever since the CT was introduced.
    I'm pretty sure They don't see any Monetary Value in expending the time and effort to fiddle with it.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Except that it was highlighted by our own community manager in a livestream.
  • scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    This probably seems like a silly suggestion in comparison to what you folks will come up with, but given the Captain’s Table is outside the flow of time, why not add the ability to time travel when leaving the Aenigma Nebula. Since I’m so new to the game, I’ll use Discovery as my example given that’s the faction of my character, but the principle would be the same for the TOS era of Agents of Yesterday, as well as any other timeframe I'm yet to encounter.

For example, the Discovery tutorial uses a 23rd century version of Starfleet Academy that’s styled like the show. There are also other locations that I won’t go into, just in case I'd be spoiling the Age of Discovery storyline for any of you, but suffice to say that whilst the content would be limited in scope compared to what’s available in the 25th century, I personally think it'd be pretty cool.

It could also provide a doorway to buying old equipment that isn't available from the Lobi Crystal Consortium, and allow us to recruit bridge and duty officers from other timeframes. Plus, maybe this could be somewhere where we could change a bridge officer’s faction to that of our own. That way, 25th century recruits would use the same equipment as temporally displaced characters, such as when my post tutorial officers have to revive me using a 25th century tricorder, which happens... a lot. lol
    "..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    You'd have to differentiate between account unlock and not. Code wise probably a nightmare.

I feel like this is a non-issue because the game is extremely clear cut on which ships are account unlocks.
    sci321 wrote: »

I feel like this is a non-issue because the game is extremely clear cut on which ships are account unlocks.

Correct. The only thing where this might become an issue is with event ships. And in my opinion if you are a lifer and have gambled yourself an epic phoenix voucher the trait is the least thing your other chars should get.

Another brainfart:

- NPC(s) where you can queue up exclusively for space rTFOs and vice versa for ground rTFOs.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    I believe there was talk of making doorways to the Captain's Table on ground maps at one point.

there was, when they wasted all the time with the club 47 reskin. Club 47 is like the captains table itself. no one goes there because you can't DO anything there and the music is frankly annoying
    Spock.jpg

• wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    More stuff to add to Captains Table:
    - Add a Dilithium processing NPC that lets you process another 4k (or more) dilithium ore per day. Right now the limit is 8k per day via inventory screen (not worth the daily trip to get the extra 500 per day that you can get from specific NPC). I have over 500k ore sitting on some chars and it will take months to process it all.

- Add some atmosphere, like a bar with dancing Orion girls.

- Add an elite-mark exchange vendor that lets you trade 5-to-1 (i.e. trade 5 iconian probe datacore elite marks for 1 temporal buffer elite mark, etc). Hell, even a 10-to-1 ratio would be good for getting assessed strategems.

The above items + some of the ones listed in prior posts might even be enough to persuade some to get lifetime/gold member in case Cryptic needs any extra incentive.
    Even the NPC who does dilithium processing for LTS only refines about 1000. I don't think we need one that refines an extra 4k.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    That 1000 has a two day cooldown.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I strongly disagree with the need for more dilithium refinement capacity. Increased capacity most certainly will translate into increased prices on stuff you spend dilithium on. And not scaled in favor of the players,
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Visited this once, just after I went LTS. Was meh. 7 years later . . . . .
    At least it can't get any more boring and useless, and no Cryptic this is not a challenge :wink:
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    if there were doorways in ground socail zones it might help. it's a pain flying out to the nebula
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    One way to change it is to replace the sol system's nebula entrance with those doors on ESD's catwalk.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    More stuff to add to Captains Table:
    - Add a Dilithium processing NPC that lets you process another 4k (or more) dilithium ore per day. Right now the limit is 8k per day via inventory screen (not worth the daily trip to get the extra 500 per day that you can get from specific NPC). I have over 500k ore sitting on some chars and it will take months to process it all.
    Highly unlikely(as in practically impossible) for 2 reasons first it would drive the zen-dilithium prices up and second 4k extra dil per day could be seen as too much of an advantage.
    this isn't totally impossible however it could run afoul of the age rating (STO is T-rated in US or 16 under the PEGI rating), so this could be considered improper content for that rating (also not all players might want a bar like that)
    - Add an elite-mark exchange vendor that lets you trade 5-to-1 (i.e. trade 5 iconian probe datacore elite marks for 1 temporal buffer elite mark, etc). Hell, even a 10-to-1 ratio would be good for getting assessed strategems.

The above items + some of the ones listed in prior posts might even be enough to persuade some to get lifetime/gold member in case Cryptic needs any extra incentive.
    There's always a balance to be had here, while you want to have incentive for being LTS you don't want to seem like you have to buy it or you're playing an incomplete game. SWTOR had this exact issue when it went free to play where the free to play was seen as playing an incomplete game and you pretty much had to sub to play the game as intended.

As current nothing in STO C-store is a "must have" as in you absolutely need this thing to play the game and changing LTS to be a "must have" would most likely kill the game in long term as those who couldn't afford/justify buying LTS would quit signifigantly reducing the playerbase (as yes even those that don't spend money matter as they make the game seem alive)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »
    this isn't totally impossible however it could run afoul of the age rating (STO is T-rated in US or 16 under the PEGI rating), so this could be considered improper content for that rating (also not all players might want a bar like that)

We have some table dancing Orion girls at our KDF base Shim. B)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.