test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Shield for Sci Shield Tank ?

borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
What do you consider to be the best shield (ignoring any set bonus) for a science shield tank ship ?

From my rough math approximation, my top 3 would be:

Dyson Shield: gains a lot of regen when a facing is down and 2/3 damage res.

Assimilated Regenerative: good balance between SP and regen, +5SP, 15% DR.

Iconian: Good enough capacity, average regen but auto-fixes in 1 sec if disabled and gets rid of debuffs constantly.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Or maybe none of the above.
    Note that i am not a shield tanking player. I generally prefer speed tanking or hull tanking.

Did you pay attention to bleed through? Dyson and Assimilated both have 10% bleed through.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Iconian_Resistance_Starship_Technologies
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assimilated_Borg_Technology
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Dyson_Joint_Command_Technologies

If you don't care about bleed through then the Delta alliance shield may be an option:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Delta_Alliance_Assault
    High capacity, shield drain resistance and a chance to gain shield hardness.

One of the prevailing shield arrays may be a choice made in heaven for you:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Prevailing_Regalia#Prevailing_Resilient_Shield_Arrays

You can browse through the various options here at
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ship_Shields

One last option is fleet shields:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Space_Shields

This is all to give you some options. It's best for some specialized tankers to voice their opinion.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Iconian would be my go to for a non-set focused shield choice, as having 5% bleed-through and a debuff clear can help keep your hull from being burnt away, which is very important if you've got a typical Sci Vessel with limited hull (not as critical on Science Dreadnought with better hull, but still nice.)

The option questerius gives of Fleet Shields is a good option, too. Preferably Resilient, and either from the main starbase with [Adapt] or Colony with a cooldown you need, and then epic it out and Re-Engineer for more shield resists.

Note: I don't think there's any shield that will just let you zombie tank, where you don't have to take any action and still have shields, particularly against the Borg. You'll need Transfer Shield Strength for regeneration and hardness combined with Tactical Team for redistribution at minimum. Emergency Power to Shields, Reverse Shield Polarity, and Science Team should be considered too, along with consoles you have access to that can give you shield healing (particularly the Lukari) or secondary shields.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    If your in a science ship..Best to stick with Hull heals. It wont matter what shield you run against Borg NPCs..They will still drain it all.

I can take up to 70% (Best I can manage in a sci ship for incoming threat/damage) of the incoming fire on ISA with a poor team.But I also cycle Aux2Sif/EmP Shields/Hazards/Omni Tachi console/Protomatter console.

What is fun for shield tanking is when you combine MOAR DRAIN with the Omni Tachyon console on the Multimission explorers. Fly right into the middle of a buch of Gravity welled Spheres and steal the sheilds right off of them..All while being practically immune to their damage with your super strong sheilds sapping :p

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User

What is fun for shield tanking is when you combine MOAR DRAIN with the Omni Tachyon console on the Multimission explorers. Fly right into the middle of a buch of Gravity welled Spheres and steal the sheilds right off of them..All while being practically immune to their damage with your super strong sheilds sapping :p

That is fun, but be careful of the multiple warp core breeches which have a lot of bleed through.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

That is fun, but be careful of the multiple warp core breeches which have a lot of bleed through.

Thats is a Wise word of caution. However..Its never been a problem for me :p

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Thanks for all input. I am not interested in something specifically against Borg, so the enemy's ability to drain the shield is not a priority. Just interested in what's the toughest overall (good balance between regen and cap).

I did considered bleedthrough in some of the math I've done.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    If we're talking shields independent of foe type and set bonuses, Iconian or Delta would be good from rep (if you're considering total sets, competitive rep 3-part is good for survival in general).

Otherwise, a fleet adaptive resilient shield since it can be rerolled (I use [Dis]x2[ResB][Adapt] for when I do DSC tfos, for example)

For free shields, I like the crystalline regenerative shield from the recent FE for it's inherent (but slow) auto-distribution or the Sol Defense (?) Covariant which has +10% bonus to your outgoing shield heals.

Last thought on shield tanking would be the Coalition Tactics genetic resequencer (+~200 shields/sec for each engineer on your team) and the tactical consoles from the colony holding (25% chance per console per weapon ability activation to heal 1000 shields every 2s for 10s)
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    it's probably just me but i REALLY REALLY like the adapted MACO shields. I usually run the shield and deflector for the 2 pc bonus to torpedos and then go with a impulse/warp combo depending on what I am flying
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    That and the KDF HG equivalent I use for torp builds.