test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

List of all virus/plaguelike things in STO

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
so, this is probably the most unusual thread i've made, but...what are all the powers/consoles/traits/kit mods/doff powers in STO that have a virus or plaguelike effect to them? i already know about the following below, but i'm wondering if i've missed any (which i'm definitely sure i have)

Trait:
Nano-Infestation
Load Viral Torpedo
Nanoprobe Contagion
Invasive Control Programming

Powers:
Viral Matrix
Structural Analysis
Nanoprobe Infestation
Viral Impulse Burst
EPS Corruption
Entropic Cascade
Entropic Redistribution

Consoles:
Polymorphic Probe Array
Retrofitted Assimilator

Kit Mods:
Active Immunity Overload
Active Immunity Grenade
Active Immunity Mine Field
Virulent Dark Matter Cloud (note, this link has no info as of 7/8/2019)
Entropic Contagion
Spread Decay
Weaponized Dark Matter
Toxin Dart Launcher

Crawler Swarm
Doffs:
Systems Engineer - Viral matrix enhancement variant
Systems Engineer - Viral Matrix spread variant

Reputation Passives:
Viral Weapon Overload
Viral Engine Overload

Weapons:
Dark Matter Quantum Torpedo Launcher

Set-granted Abilities:
Enhanced Crawler Mine

EDIT: updated list with some things i found along with something someone pointed out to me ingame (virulent dark matter cloud)
EDIT2: added some more things and also updated every listing with links to the appropriate article on STO gamepedia so people can see what the hell all these things actually do, as well as where to get them
EDIT3: added EPS corruption
EDIT4: added entropic contagion, spread decay, entropic cascade & entropic redistribution
EDIT5: added weaponized dark matter
EDIT6: added invasive control programming
EDIT7: added toxin dart launcher, crawler swarm, enhanced crawler mine and retrofitted assimilator (and would have added disruptive topological matrix off the borg command juggernaut, but there is currently no page for it on the wiki)​​
Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
"We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
Passion and Serenity are one.
I gain power by understanding both.
In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
The Force is united within me.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    Could you please clarify what you mean by "plaguelike", I mean depening on your defination the "molecular deconstruction beam" from the temporal ships could be considered "plaguelike" since the debuff it causes lasts longer then the beam itself.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    plaguelike = spreading from target to target and weakening it in some way - like structural analysis or nano-infestation/nanoprobe infestation or dealing AOE toxic damage from a biological source - like active immunity overload​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    plaguelike = spreading from target to target and weakening it in some way - like structural analysis or nano-infestation/nanoprobe infestation or dealing AOE toxic damage from a biological source - like active immunity overload​​

Hmm that second defination is quite broad as toxins of biological origin that are simple chemicals do exist and for example the bluebill acid blobs are acidic toxin rather then microbes or other pathogens.
    i suppose the bluegill stuff could fit given my (rather poor, admittedly) definition, but none of it is available to players - and i probably should have mentioned it in the initial post, but i'm mainly looking for things players can use​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I was going to add ESD or Beta Quadrant Zone Chat for this.
    XzRTofz.gif
    i can't equip either of those things on my ship or character....​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited July 2019
    radiation i've kind of been bouncing back and forth on

maybe it would help if i actually provided context for why i wanted to assemble this list in the first place

i've got a character called Pestilence that i modeled after the horseman (along with the other 3 horsemen - don't judge, i was on a Supernatural kick at the time) and i'm looking to revamp his build, but obviously i want to use things that would fit said horseman's schtick, so was hoping to compile a list of things that exhibit a 'contagious' or 'disease-like' nature so i know what my options are when i go to actually redo the build - and also provide a handy list in case anyone else wants to do similar​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    This doesn't add anything helpful, sorry, but this is a cool interesting thought-provoking thread.
    radiation i've kind of been bouncing back and forth on

maybe it would help if i actually provided context for why i wanted to assemble this list in the first place

i've got a character called Pestilence that i modeled after the horseman (along with the other 3 horsemen - don't judge, i was on a Supernatural kick at the time) and i'm looking to revamp his build, but obviously i want to use things that would fit said horseman's schtick, so was hoping to compile a list of things that exhibit a 'contagious' or 'disease-like' nature so i know what my options are when i go to actually redo the build - and also provide a handy list in case anyone else wants to do similar​​
    Honestly I think you're looking at things too narrowly for that inspiration, IIRC "Pestilence" is less disease or plague and more corruption thru decay and rot (should be noted that rider of the white horse can also be called conquest), I would say you should focus on abilities that rob the target of their strength or slowly "eat away" at the target regardless of origin.

For example the Dark-matter torp from the discovery rep (or deconstruction beam I mentioned before) would fit here as they "rot" their target without an obvious origin point like a patch of fire. Any mind effecting ability would fit as well, while they wouldn't rot the body they'd rot the mind.
    i was giving the dark matter torpedo consideration - both because i already have something else dark matter-themed on the list (Virulent Dark Matter Cloud) and because it's (currently) really damn potent, so having it would somewhat make up for making a themed build instead of a FOTM one

though, i should point out the definition of 'pestilence' as given by MW dictionary is 'a contagious or infectious epidemic disease that is virulent and devastating' or 'something that is destructive or pernicious' (and pernicious itself is defined as 'having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way'), so anything in STO that fits those definitions would be good candidates for the list​​

#LegalizeAwoo

i was giving the dark matter torpedo consideration - both because i already have something else dark matter-themed on the list (Virulent Dark Matter Cloud) and because it's (currently) really damn potent, so having it would somewhat make up for making a themed build instead of a FOTM one

though, i should point out the definition of 'pestilence' as given by MW dictionary is 'a contagious or infectious epidemic disease that is virulent and devastating' or 'something that is destructive or pernicious' (and pernicious itself is defined as 'having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way'), so anything in STO that fits those definitions would be good candidates for the list​​
    Well the thing to remember about the four horsemen is that they're symbolic so just looking the dictionary defination of their names won't give the full picture, for example Famine isn't just about lack of food but general lack of things important to life.
    edited July 2019
    well, famine i'm designing mostly around the literal interpretation - and what is food to a starship? fuel - or in STO's case, power

so i made him a drain build

also, updated the OP a bit​​

#LegalizeAwoo

well, famine i'm designing mostly around the literal interpretation - and what is food to a starship? fuel - or in STO's case, power

so i made him a drain build

also, updated the OP a bit​​

That's actually a good way to get the symbolic meaning as well (since starships don't eat food), so you're robbing them of something important they need to function (aka power in this case).
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    There's no set definition of the Horsemen as they exist in multiple mythologies and non-mythological fictions as well as the original myth. Even the originals are subject to variations between different translations and different sects.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    i believe i mentioned Supernatural as my inspiration for creating the characters...so obviously how they were portrayed there is how i'm building the characters​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Would the EPS Corruption Engineering Ultimate count? Especially after being fully upgraded.

A thread asking about virus/plague-like content in the game and no smart-TRIBBLE gives the catchall answer "The Discovery content"? You disappoint me forum, you've let me down.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    yeah...let's not be going there - i don't want the thread closed, so keep the disco hate for any of the other existing threads, people

and yes, EPS corruption would fit - not for me personally, because my character is science-heavy, not engineering-heavy, but maybe for someone else

i'll stick that in the OP​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    yeah...let's not be going there - i don't want the thread closed, so keep the disco hate for any of the other existing threads, people

Or, even better, keep it quiet because it's pathetic.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,098 Arc User
    The airborne virus infected ESD preventing Starfleet from issuing me a Typhoon Class?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,209 Community Moderator
    Please don't derail the thread. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    There are a bunch of temporal powers that fit right into the theme:
    • Entropic Redistribution - Space
    • Entropic Cascade - Space
    • Spread Decay - Ground
    • Entropic Contagion - Ground

Entropic Redistribution and Entropic Cascade sound so similar that I was confused actually if they are really seperate powers. But it seems they actually are. And I have to recheck some of my builds to see which I actually slotted. I
    think Redistribution is better than Cascade, because Redistribution deals instant damage, but for your theme, cascade and contagion might work better. Namewise, only the ground powers really have direct "Plaguelike" allusions, but they all fit the theme.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    yeah...those work perfectly

and i'm less concerned with the naming scheme as i am with how the ability actually functions - that's why i have structural analysis, which doesn't evoke a sense of a being a contagion or virus-like power just by reading its name or the little technobabble description everything in STO has - but in effect, it weakens targets and can spread to other ones in close proximity and weaken THEM as well, like a contagious disease

and why i don't have isometric charge, which does spread from target to target, but it doesn't weaken them in any way - it just does straight up damage​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    there was dampening effect, leech effect, and syphon (drain effect), inert effect, and "erasure" virus.
    i...don't know what any of that means​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Personal Space Skill Tree Drain Infection is missing !
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
This discussion has been closed.