test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

need advices for ground: weapons, kits, traits etc

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
hi,

currently i'm unhappy with my skills on ground and i'm seeking every possible advices for tactical and engineer captains. thx in advance :)

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    This looks like it belongs in Academy, not the Shipyard.

Otherwise, I suck at ground, so no advice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    In a nutshell: Spec into the upper left (weapon) and lower right (kit) skills.
    Make sure to have a lot of Kit Performance on your kit.
    Go for crit buffs on your equipment and set boni.
    Spam weapon buffs as a Tac. Spam drones (and turrets) as an Eng. Spam space magic as a Sci.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    well without knowing what you want to do with these characters not sure what to tell you. so here is what I do to set up a new character:

1. pick a set that fits or sounds interesting.

2. grab a herald kit that boost the energy type of the set

3. get a melee weapon/shotgun/tommy gun for sudden borg.

4. set a science boff with Nanite Health Monitor III and Medical Tricorder and/or Vascular Regenerator, this is your healbot

5. go your stations tab, put your healbot in your first ground slot.

6. give a boff command spec with Hammer and Anvil, and Strategic Analysis. can also be your healbot.

7. if boff from 5 is not healbot. go your stations tab and set as second ground slot.

8. when setting traits have half your traits in some manner mitigate damage or increase survivability.

this is not the best way of doing things, it's not impressive or all that interesting but it works in advance and gives you a nice stable place to work from.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Skills wise, here are some of the better abilities that you should be using if you can.

Tactical:
    Graviton Spike, Motivation, Rally Cry, Ambush,Trajectory Bending.

Some good Universals:
    Echo Papa Drone, Crystal Prism, Pradox Bomb, Harmonic Resonance Device,

As far as Engineers go, I normally just spam drones as much as possible. I slot Seeker Drones, Explosive Drone, and the above linked Echo Papa. Usually for most missions, I carry a Photon Grenade Launcher, and either Mines or the above linked Paradox Bomb or Gravitational Juncture that I can use to pull people together. The Photon Launcher is currently a 23c item, it's only available in the TOS Captain Tutorial so if you want one of those, make a 23C Captain, buy the common quality one from the Vendor and put it in your account bank before finishing the tutorial. Alternately, you could go with a Neutronic Mortar as a substitute.

Armor, most people go with the Advanced Fleet Recoil Compensating Armor from the Fleet Base for the critical bonus. You could also wear a Nukara EV Suit instead and re-engineer it to have a nice Crit bonus. Shield wise, the Na'kuhl Temporal Shield is the current most popular. Most use it with the Mini Gun for the 2pc bonus. They don't actually use the Minigun most times just slot it for the 2pc bonus. Weapon wise, there is a lot to choose from, the Herald Staff, and Boolean Cannon, are good lobi items. The Corfeld Mining Cutter is supposed to be pretty good and it's a mission reward. The Tommy Gun is also pretty good if you did that event. And there is always the old reliable Wide Beam Plasma Rifle.

As far as the Skill Tree goes, as said..most just do the entire top left and the entire bottom right. You can see an example in my Tactical Template.

Hopefully that helps give you some ideas going forward. I know I didn't cover Science Officer, but I don't know jack about Science Officers so better let someone else cover that. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    we have a few example builds published at sto-league
    but at the end it depend a bit on your resources, as a weapon the plasma wide beam rifle is pretty good as a weapon you could buy from the exchange ;)
    Post edited by felisean on
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Let's not forget the golden oldie:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Plasma_Piercing_Beam_Rifle
    Upgraded it is still a powerful weapon. In fact i could recommend equipping boffs with this weapon.

@seaofsorrows has a good list.
    Having said that, keep in mind that each class can mimic the plays tyles of other classes albeit mostly a bit less efficient.

E.g. one of my favorite build on my engineers is the Romulan Operative set with a flare mortar kit module. It allows for the player to be cloaked most of the time while performing all sorts of ninja shenanigans.

Science and Tactical get access to various turrets and drones which may act as nice distractions or burst damage.

Just try to find kit modules with synergy. Don't be afraid to grab cheap kit modules from the exchange to experiment with.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    felisean wrote: »
    we have a few example builds published at sto-league
    but at the end it depend a bit on your resources, as a weapon the plasma wide beam rifle is pretty good as a weapon you could buy from the exchange ;)

Yep, check these out for sure. I build pretty closely around the 'All In One,' it works really well. It also has the layout for your Bridge Officers as well. I do a variation of this build, my bridge officer powers are the same as the example, I just have my 2nd Science Officer as a Miracle Worker instead of Command so she can use the Nanite Canister.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    thx guys :)

I have already some stuff listed: rally cry, paradox bomb, graviton spike etc + I work (updrade etc) on rom weapon (wide beam), i have also the herald projector, the boolean cannon, vicious, etc.

I tried a lot of stuff, but nothing changes; I suck at ground :p ; well i'm not very good

thx for the links guys, i'm going to take a look at those builds :)

btw, which are the best mods for a weapon? I mean for a tac captain.

btw, sorry for using the wrong section of the forum.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Well... for an Engineer... I actually enjoyed what I dub the "Drone Master". Basically load up on drones like Seeker Drone, Echo Papa, Lukari Protomatter, Explosive, and Metheusula. Can swap drones around as we have more that 5 kit modules to better fit playstyle or preferences.

What inspired me to try it was a really good Sompek run where I saw Drones everywhere. It basically is a Star Trek version of a summoner/hunter/pet spammer class in other MMOs in a way.

For Tactical... I use the ancient Fire Team kit as a base, so a mix of buffs and actual damage dealing. A good set of buffs to have would be Battle Strategies, Suppressing Fire, and Trajectory Bending. Can throw in your preferred grenade if you want as well.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kit
    Might help with looking through what various kit modules do. Some universals are pretty good too.

As for weapons... type mostly falls to what your preference is. As for mods... I think based on your crit chance it is a mix of CrtD and Dmg mods. If we're looking at crafted, Pen is also a desirable one. Also, in some cases Run might also be desirable.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    @sennahcherib
    Other than the gear and kit modules, how do you play? From RPG perspective or FPS perspective?
    Do you have the kit modules bookmarked? (quick action keys for healing, buffing)

It saves time when in the heat of battle.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    always FPS perspective. yes, I use shortcuts for all the actions (attacks and healing).

I would also recommend using Large Kit Overboosters to try and spam your buffs as much as possible.

I eat em like candy. :lol:
    thx :)

btw, my tac captains have 21/22% crit chance and between 84%/100% crit severity. I tried weapons with crtdx3 dmg or crth, but the results are not very interesting. my toons with low crit chance etc (engineers) with the same weapons seem more efficient. weapons used without tac skills. currently, i use the plasma wide beam rifle, after having read that this weapons is great :)

i'm lost :#
    I am not sure I understand the problem.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on things.. why is it that you feel you're 'lost?'

It really comes down to just picking the right gear for what you're doing and using the right combination of kits. If you're using your buffs regularly and just shooting the bad guys, there really isn't much more to it.

Are you dying a lot? or are you just unhappy with how long it takes you to kill stuff? What difficulty are you playing on?
    mind crystals?
    re you dying a lot? or are you just unhappy with how long it takes you to kill stuff? What difficulty are you playing on?

yes, I take the mission TFO Edren IV as a reference. It takes a long time to kill the romulans.
    I play at advanced, never try elite at least for ground missions, i'm not crazy :p

I tried Gravitational Juncture, the effect is great but the launching time is a little bit too long.
    btw, thx all for your advices, my kdf tac character is better now. I bought trajectory bending added to rally cry and graviton spike that I bought last year at the lolnut fiesta. foes don't resist a long time now, except the roms on Edren IV :p
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    mind crystals?
    It's a device you get from one of the Discovery missions on Pahvo. It's functionally a reusable hypospray.

EDIT: that's the HEALING crystal. The Mind Crystal was from the Pahvo Dissension ground FTFO. It's basically a turret that does Psi damage.
    yes, I take the mission TFO Edren IV as a reference. It takes a long time to kill the romulans.
    I play at advanced, never try elite at least for ground missions, i'm not crazy :p

I tried Gravitational Juncture, the effect is great but the launching time is a little bit too long.
    btw, thx all for your advices, my kdf tac character is better now. I bought trajectory bending added to rally cry and graviton spike that I bought last year at the lolnut fiesta. foes don't resist a long time now, except the roms on Edren IV :p
    Miner Instabilities on NORMAL is as hard as most advanced missions.

My fave trick with Graviton Spike is to pair it with a grenade. spike to yank enemies off their feet, then immediately follow with a grenade.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    mind crystals?
    It's a device you get from one of the Discovery missions on Pahvo. It's functionally a reusable hypospray.

EDIT: that's the HEALING crystal. The Mind Crystal was from the Pahvo Dissension ground FTFO. It's basically a turret that does Psi damage.

They are SPAMMABLE turrets that gets stronger the more you link. You can put down 3 that does about as much damage as the engineer turret 1 does in about 3 second...at which point they do about as much as turret 2. You can set down one more every 4 seconds or so and if you link 6+ you do more than turret 3...with each of them. They do lower listed damage...but yeah expect against very specific enemies that have high psi resist and no shields, these things basically rip things apart.
    Yeah is you got the time to setup the prism turrets, it's really powerful, what I like to do in the Pahvo ground tfo is to setup those prisms near a terran spawn, if I do things right I don't have to worry about that spawn at all as the terrans are too busy getting killed by the turrets.
    mind crystals?
    re you dying a lot? or are you just unhappy with how long it takes you to kill stuff? What difficulty are you playing on?

Miners Instability is possibly the hardest of the ground queues.

I regularly run it on Elite with my Fleet Mates, and it's one of the few ground queues where I can actually die. That queue is supposed to be hard, I definitely wouldn't use that as the measuring stick. The Romulans have an insane amount of HP, especially on Advanced or Elite.

The Crystal Prism is a good kit, but honestly.. I disagree with how OP it is. It's stronger on certain maps for sure, but overall I just consider it a good kit.. I don't carry it 100% of the time though. I actually really like it on Miners, it's good to use at the beginning when you're defending the camp, and it's pretty useful in the console shut down phase as well.

Don't stress though if those guys are taking you a long time to kill, that's happening to all of us. :wink:
    edited June 2019
    mind crystals?

I regularly run it on Elite with my Fleet Mates, and it's one of the few ground queues where I can actually die. That queue is supposed to be hard, I definitely wouldn't use that as the measuring stick. The Romulans have an insane amount of HP, especially on Advanced or Elite.

The Crystal Prism is a good kit, but honestly.. I disagree with how OP it is. It's stronger on certain maps for sure, but overall I just consider it a good kit.. I don't carry it 100% of the time though. I actually really like it on Miners, it's good to use at the beginning when you're defending the camp, and it's pretty useful in the console shut down phase as well.

Don't stress though if those guys are taking you a long time to kill, that's happening to all of us. :wink:

True. I have seen romulans on that map take direct hits from my quantum mortar and still have HP left. Scaling is a bit of an issue there. My personal tactic on that map is flare mortar for expose and stealth, mortars (photon or quantum) and prism towers
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Crystal_Prism

While those do their damage, move in cloaked (flare mortar!) and bring the pain with chroniton mines. Some prefer transphasic bombs, but i personally like the more direct approach with mines.

Edit: Other than that you can custom your modules.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Agony_Field_Generator is a fan favorite
    This one is useful with lot of enemies shooting from all directions:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Plasma_Feedback_Cascade
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I like to pet swarm that map. You're gonna be outnumbered 6 to one most of the time, so even the odds as much as you can.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    questerius wrote: »
    mind crystals?

True. I have seen romulans on that map take direct hits from my quantum mortar and still have HP left. Scaling is a bit of an issue there. My personal tactic on that map is flare mortar for expose and stealth, mortars (photon or quantum) and prism towers
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Crystal_Prism

While those do their damage, move in cloaked (flare mortar!) and bring the pain with chroniton mines. Some prefer transphasic bombs, but i personally like the more direct approach with mines.

Edit: Other than that you can custom your modules.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Agony_Field_Generator is a fan favorite
    This one is useful with lot of enemies shooting from all directions:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Plasma_Feedback_Cascade

I know and use plasma feedback cascade. thx for the other links :)
    what do you think about the delphic antiproton (ground)?

This one
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Sphere_Builder_Antiproton_Repulsor

or this one:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Special_Equipment_Pack_-_Delphic_Antiproton_Weapons

Either way, personally i don't think they're that interesting.

AP has an innate chance for critical chance, but because it is one of the special AP variants you lose a modifier in favor of a 5% chance to get the overdrive proc. Maybe in space, but IMO wasteful on the ground.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    but yeah expect against very specific enemies that have high psi resist and no shields, these things basically rip things apart.

what enemies even HAVE high psi resist? that you can actually face in queues​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    questerius wrote: »

This one
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Sphere_Builder_Antiproton_Repulsor

or this one:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Special_Equipment_Pack_-_Delphic_Antiproton_Weapons

Either way, personally i don't think they're that interesting.

AP has an innate chance for critical chance, but because it is one of the special AP variants you lose a modifier in favor of a 5% chance to get the overdrive proc. Maybe in space, but IMO wasteful on the ground.

yep, the first 1. this is what I thought. thx