test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Calendar confusion

tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
OK... I see that the Arena of Sompek is coming back at the beginning of August...

However...

I thought that Weekend Event Vouchers were discontinued?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Probably with a new paradigm. August 1st is the end of the deep discounts for using old Weekend Vouchers. What will replace it with that new Sompek is unknown to mere mortals at this time.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,243 Community Moderator
    I'm going to assume that they're planning to use the new participation tracker tech that was implemented for the T6 coupon.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I'm going to assume that they're planning to use the new participation tracker tech that was implemented for the T6 coupon.

That will be nice, since it add the option to use a different alt each day to earn the progress. Play 3 times with 1 captain, 1 time each with 3, mix and match.

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    From what I'm seeing in the calendar, Sompek this time is NOT a weekend event, it will be a 14/21 day slog. I had hoped they'd learned from the last time they tried this that players were not happy with it being dragged out so long. Perhaps it was just updated with today's patch to be this way?

If it stays this way, that the Sompek event will be the last of the "featured" queues to run to get the ship, I don't believe I'll bother. I hate Sompek as it stands as a weekend event, no way I will torture myself with it being a 14/21 day event.

And I don't actually hate ground combat, it can be fun at times. I tried the first time it ran to see how far I could get and got bored to tears after round 20 on day one. I stuck around and did my best because I didn't think it was fair to the rest of the team to quit. Only made it to 30-something thankfully, but after that I went timed and did like many others and "5 & died". It's just too repetitive, same small map, just not enjoyable. I get that others like it, cool, enjoy.

I'll probably still do it for the gizmo they'll attach to it, but it'll be 5 & die. And if the gizmo looks sub-par, I may not even bother for that. Thankfully I have the ship coupon already so no pressure from that.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Wow I love Sompek and do hope it is a 14 day event!​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    2/3 weeks sompek arena...
    now I'm really happy, that I saved 14 TFO vouchers from last 2 events… B)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    after that I went timed and did like many others and "5 & died".
    It's even more boring when you're staring at the respawn button for 20 minutes. :p Yeah, When people 5&die I take it as a personal challenge to see just how boring I can make their run. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    It's even more boring when you're staring at the respawn button for 20 minutes. :p Yeah, When people 5&die I take it as a personal challenge to see just how boring I can make their run. :D

Luckily, I team with like minded individuals and don't ruin your fun.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User

I have to admit, I'll do that also if someone doesn't ask and merely demands we all die and stop wasting his time, especially once the run has already started.

If someone asks at the beginning of the run and there is a majority of people (meaning at least 3 of the people, excluding me) who agree to 5 & Die, I'll play nice. But, once we start, it seems a bit rude to quit on the other players who will eventually agree because they have been essentially blackmailed into agreeing.

Unfortunately, there isn't agreement on whether 5 & Die is the timed version or the untimed one. It would be much better if there were general community consensus on that.

I've had just as many people insist that untimed is for 5 & Die as insist that timed is the correct place. Also, just as many people INSIST that if I want to go the distance (timed or untimed) I should not PUG as say that if you want to 5 & Die, I should only use ready-made teams.

Unfortunately, there is a logical rationale that supports all those positions.

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Sounds like it to me. I've not done it before so it'll be an adventure.

Ground is not my best thing, but I'll try my best.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    > @saber1973a said:
    > 2/3 weeks sompek arena...
    > now I'm really happy, that I saved 14 TFO vouchers from last 2 events… B)

You mean “hoarded” you hoarder! Hoarding things..! Gah!

Yeah, me too. Pick up the shiny on day one, and then play the crazy ground game for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    > @saber1973a said:
    > 2/3 weeks sompek arena...
    > now I'm really happy, that I saved 14 TFO vouchers from last 2 events… B)

You mean “hoarded” you hoarder! Hoarding things..! Gah!

Yeah, me too. Pick up the shiny on day one, and then play the crazy ground game for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

If that is what this turns out to be... I will most likely be in the same boat... I often find ground combat to laggy for my tastes...
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Well, considering that they completely removed weekend events, doesn’t that guarantee that it will be a 3 week slog?

Glad I got the ship coupon already, I’m not a huge fan of Sompek. I’ll do the bare minimum to get the ‘shiny.’
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    And do you imagine many of those players actually are "staring at the respawn button," as opposed to simply off doing something else? :p
    Unfortunately, there isn't agreement on whether 5 & Die is the timed version or the untimed one. It would be much better if there were general community consensus on that.

I've had just as many people insist that untimed is for 5 & Die as insist that timed is the correct place. Also, just as many people INSIST that if I want to go the distance (timed or untimed) I should not PUG as say that if you want to 5 & Die, I should only use ready-made teams.
    There is a general concensus among those who actually do 5&D that Timed is the correct place. It's only the tryhards who disagree on the matter, and only because they insist the "correct" place for 5&Ds is always whichever version they themselves don't play.
    No, there isn't.

The only logical conclusion is that the short version is for people who want short runs. Also, that public queues are for everyone and nobody gets to dictate other players' goals or style of play. Players who have a problem with that, in either direction, should form private teams.

Although suggesting that players who really want to go the distance form a private team, is good advice even just from a team competence standpoint.
    I have to admit, I'll do that also if someone doesn't ask and merely demands we all die and stop wasting his time, especially once the run has already started.

If someone asks at the beginning of the run and there is a majority of people (meaning at least 3 of the people, excluding me) who agree to 5 & Die, I'll play nice. But, once we start, it seems a bit rude to quit on the other players who will eventually agree because they have been essentially blackmailed into agreeing.

I personally like the challenge of seeing how many rounds I can clear before time runs out. Kinda like speed running Sompek.

I only 5 and die if it's a group decision. if there's just one guy who wants to do it, well, I already explained that. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I did actually liked the Sompek Arena... until last time - it was weekend edition I think - when it started to get buggy.
    I think some enemies spawned (or were pushed) inside the walls, and the round could not be finished… and team could not be killed, so we had to abandon the match.
    And it was more than once - the other time the team could get killed, but we did not reached the minimum needed round, so it was lost time again.
    So that make me to not like that event anymore...
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

I minimize and watch youtube, do emails or start up another game... it's never boring.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I minimize and watch youtube, do emails or start up another game... it's never boring.
    do you still get the reward if you get DCed due to inactivity? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    ^Me either.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    do you still get the reward if you get DCed due to inactivity? :p
    The timed version can't last long enough to be DC'd due to inactivity. :p
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019

Glad I got the ship coupon already, I’m not a huge fan of Sompek. I’ll do the bare minimum to get the ‘shiny.’

Sea! My fleet mate, my brother in arms!

How many toons do you have by now, 8?

I can promise you the next Sompek event will be your lucky… three weeks of hell.

We are going to run Sompek until all chars of yours have the level 100 accolade. Day after day, week after week. >:)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    We are going to run Sompek until all chars of yours have the level 100 accolade. Day after day, week after week. >:)

If only you could see how hard I am rolling my eyes at you right now. :lol::lol:

Can't wait.
    If only you could see how hard I am rolling my eyes at you right now. :lol::lol: Can't wait.
    I could help if you want. :D It'd give me a reason to be less lazy with my ground setups.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    From what I'm seeing in the calendar, Sompek this time is NOT a weekend event, it will be a 14/21 day slog. I had hoped they'd learned from the last time they tried this that players were not happy with it being dragged out so long. Perhaps it was just updated with today's patch to be this way?

If it stays this way, that the Sompek event will be the last of the "featured" queues to run to get the ship, I don't believe I'll bother. I hate Sompek as it stands as a weekend event, no way I will torture myself with it being a 14/21 day event.

And I don't actually hate ground combat, it can be fun at times. I tried the first time it ran to see how far I could get and got bored to tears after round 20 on day one. I stuck around and did my best because I didn't think it was fair to the rest of the team to quit. Only made it to 30-something thankfully, but after that I went timed and did like many others and "5 & died". It's just too repetitive, same small map, just not enjoyable. I get that others like it, cool, enjoy.

I'll probably still do it for the gizmo they'll attach to it, but it'll be 5 & die. And if the gizmo looks sub-par, I may not even bother for that. Thankfully I have the ship coupon already so no pressure from that.

Hey stay out of the untimed version, players like you ruin it for everyone. Better yet just stay out of it altogether. Sompek is just not enjoyable? LMAO it's probably the greatest thing they've ever added to the game. Whoever came up with the idea should be running Cryptic. I can think of very few things in the game that are this much fun.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019

If only you could see how hard I am rolling my eyes at you right now. :lol::lol:

Can't wait.

Was just kidding mate. :)

I would never want you to run anything you dislike.

For me its just since I play STO flat for over seven years now there are only few moments that stick to mind. Having good laughs with our folks in chat, beating NWS the first time or being there when Feli or Spawny sets a massive DPS record or something you know.

One of these times was defo two years back when I whipped the bulk of my chars through sompek 100 to get the acco on all of them. There were only few crazy enough to go for it that often as well. As a matter of fact I only found 1-2 here in forums and of course you know the other usual suspects in our fleet. Powercreep was less progressed back then so it was quite exhausting to put it mildly. :D

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1233751/sompek-how-far-did-you-get

10_03_09_17_10_09_25.jpeg

Good times! <3
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Was just kidding mate. :)

I would never want you to run anything you dislike.

Haha.. I know man, I was kidding too.

I plan to try it again once the event starts. I didn't originally like Sompek, but I have improved quite a bit in ground combat since the last time it ran, so I plan to at least give it a few runs once it comes back. Plus, I know our PvE group will want to run it and not like I will have anything better to do right? :wink:

I'll give Sompek a go.
This discussion has been closed.