test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ambush + agony field

tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
I came back after a long break to see the state of the game, and eh... yeah.

This isn't a nerf or a pvp-lawl thread, because like who cares anymore? I'll let the devzzz use their brains and figure this out for themselves what they've done to their game. Although, with all politeness, I don't think they know their own game anymore in regards to gameplay (especially on ground).

Let's pick miner elite, one of the toughest ground elite TFOs out there (maybe not on par with hive, tarok nor or self-destructive tendencies, but it's up there for a fairly decent and fun challenge). Well, I was able to pretty much solo 75% of the map, by just chugging Large Kit Overboosters (extremely cheap to acquire) which give me 37.5% kit module cooldown reduction (boosted by Device Expertise ground choice, and purple Biochemist Stim-doff), and then activating ambush, and then Agony Field.

Agony field buffed did for me roughly 2k damage per sec, and it's a large enclosing dome swallowing practically half of the whole visible map (35m). This pretty much means the entire map can be cleared with 1 man carrying this "pocket nuke", and even then I still have 2-3 ambush ticks left after activating Agony Field, for let's say even more absurd damage from Containment Field and Harmonic Resonance Device (although everything is already obliterated before these kits even get a chance to be used).

At this point using this setup, it doesn't even matter what armor or weapon you use. You can just walk around naked as it were, nuking the hardest ground content in the game (and I don't just mean miner) with just two kit modules as a tactical, while doing pretty much nothing else (Jem-Hadar works too since they get a free ambush). Also again, because of the Kit Boosters, the cooldown is very low, to add insult to injury.

So anyone planning to beat Sompek really far in end July, should just use this stuff (with some defense added), and I suppose some, who know how to play, will reach past round 1000 or something now (unless they nerf this, but if they do, the nerf will probably be pretty severe from top down). Either way, make of this what you want.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    tremere12 wrote: »
    I came back after a long break to see the state of the game, and eh... yeah.

This isn't a nerf or a pvp-lawl thread, because like who cares anymore? I'll let the devzzz use their brains and figure this out for themselves what they've done to their game. Although, with all politeness, I don't think they know their own game anymore in regards to gameplay (especially on ground).

Let's pick miner elite, one of the toughest ground elite TFOs out there (maybe not on par with hive, tarok nor or self-destructive tendencies, but it's up there for a fairly decent and fun challenge). Well, I was able to pretty much solo 75% of the map, by just chugging Large Kit Overboosters (extremely cheap to acquire) which give me 37.5% kit module cooldown reduction (boosted by Device Expertise ground choice, and purple Biochemist Stim-doff), and then activating ambush, and then Agony Field.

Agony field buffed did for me roughly 2k damage per sec, and it's a large enclosing dome swallowing practically half of the whole visible map (35m). This pretty much means the entire map can be cleared with 1 man carrying this "pocket nuke", and even then I still have 2-3 ambush ticks left after activating Agony Field, for let's say even more absurd damage from Containment Field and Harmonic Resonance Device (although everything is already obliterated before these kits even get a chance to be used).

At this point using this setup, it doesn't even matter what armor or weapon you use. You can just walk around naked as it were, nuking the hardest ground content in the game (and I don't just mean miner) with just two kit modules as a tactical, while doing pretty much nothing else (Jem-Hadar works too since they get a free ambush). Also again, because of the Kit Boosters, the cooldown is very low, to add insult to injury.

So anyone planning to beat Sompek really far in end July, should just use this stuff, and I suppose some, who know how to play, will reach past round 1000 or something now (unless they nerf this, but if they do, the nerf will probably be pretty severe from top down). Either way, make of this what you want.

To be honest the game has never been particularly challenging - I can pretty much 1 man most STF's with my engineer using cover shield and other protective devices (if the team goes down). My sense of enjoyment comes from the taking part/activity, rather than how hard it is. But I can totally understand what you're saying, especially if you can 'nuke' half the map with one action (ive not used that particular skill yet so have no experience of it).

Even if they do nerf, I doubt things will get (that) much harder, considering the game is mostly space barbie, with a sprinkling of (semi) pushover AI.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    I forgot to mention that the Unconventional Gear trait also contributes to the cooldown reduction.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Unconventional_Gear

I guess I'll go back to ESO now lol.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    > I guess I'll go back to ESO now lol.

Well, bye.

https://youtu.be/PVrEwCa8nSA
    giphy.gif
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Sompek is a totally different beast - you think that build will make you invincible in there but you will probably spend half the time face down on the ground. If you want to get to round 100 in Sompek you have to completely re-think your build and use team work to get there. B)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Sompek is a totally different beast - you think that build will make you invincible in there but you will probably spend half the time face down on the ground. If you want to get to round 100 in Sompek you have to completely re-think your build and use team work to get there. B)

I think that this is the biggest charm of that map, yea. Hope it returns soon. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

I think that this is the biggest charm of that map, yea. Hope it returns soon. :)
    From what I've heard from other threads it should be returning soon and yeah the Charm of Sompek is that you can't really just mindlessly spam few "good" abilities and after a certain threshold proper tactics and teamwork are a must.

Definitely. Everything I do for my ground build is just to prepare for the glory of Sompek!! I like to pug just to make it that much harder. My goal is to get a pug past 100, so far the closest I got was around 70. I hope they will add some new challenges this time >:)
    spiritborn wrote: »

From what I've heard from other threads it should be returning soon and yeah the Charm of Sompek is that you can't really just mindlessly spam few "good" abilities and after a certain threshold proper tactics and teamwork are a must.

Yea most certainly shim. With a few likeminded in STO forums not to mention our cool fleet and the league channels I was able to get the round 100 accolade for all my characters when they had sompek rolling for 3 weeks flat. I found the 90 minutes gaming sessions very engaging but rewarding as a result. Good times.
    animated.gif

Definitely. Everything I do for my ground build is just to prepare for the glory of Sompek!! I like to pug just to make it that much harder. My goal is to get a pug past 100, so far the closest I got was around 70. I hope they will add some new challenges this time >:)

That sounds very admirably. I always “cheated” a bit by forming players around me from whom I knew they could handle it. For the most part we used the build recommendations from the league site that had a huge impact. We did not always make to 100 it but often enough.

If you are ever interested to run it in a premade you are invited to join our community chat. We love to have peeps around which have fun in PvE and don’t mind a challenge when stuff gets tough. :)
    animated.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Sompek heavily rewards you for general durability. IE minimizing the damage you take, otherwise you get deaded from just how many enemies are hitting you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

That sounds very admirably. I always “cheated” a bit by forming players around me from whom I knew they could handle it. For the most part we used the build recommendations from the league site that had a huge impact. We did not always make to 100 it but often enough.

If you are ever interested to run it in a premade you are invited to join our community chat. We love to have peeps around which have fun in PvE and don’t mind a challenge when stuff gets tough. :)

Cool, how do I join your community chat?

I got over 150 last time without tryin son.

Cool, how do I join your community chat?

I threw you and invite if u use the same name in game as in forums. you just need to "join" in custom chat settings. :)
    animated.gif
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User

I'll take "Made-up Nonsense to Win Internet Arguments" for $800 Alex.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
    tenor.gif
    tenor.gif

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User

I also exclusively PUG. Think my best run stranded somewhere in the mid 80's. Sanctuary ready, healing and revive on standby.
    Now i think that the mudd kit module will be near mandatory for the next Sompek.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »

I also exclusively PUG. Think my best run stranded somewhere in the mid 80's. Sanctuary ready, healing and revive on standby.
    Now i think that the mudd kit module will be near mandatory for the next Sompek.

Aye, as soon as I saw that Mudd kit the first thing I thought of was Sompek. Thankfully they changed the cooldown on it and made it workable. Might replace Feign Disintegration with it. That Pahvo healing crystal device might be helpful with the team wide heal.
    pfft 150 is not impressive, and that was with a pre-group. I've seen someone with more patience than me slam a 400+. I imagine they'll get it higher this time.
    pfft 150 is not impressive, and that was with a pre-group. I've seen someone with more patience than me slam a 400+. I imagine they'll get it higher this time.

If you manage to see this again I would be interested if you could get their parse/log/set up as it could be helpful for other players :)

What was the name of the player, just out of interest?
    equinox976 wrote: »

If you manage to see this again I would be interested if you could get their parse/log/set up as it could be helpful for other players :)

What was the name of the player, just out of interest?

I don't remember, but I saw a clear screenshot on some discord channel I'm no longer in. Aside from what I wrote in my first post, I don't feel motivated enough to write an in-depth build guide for Sompek here since I'm only logging in these days to do endeavor, but I would hang out on reddit for that, as that's where the meta-heads hang out, not here.

This discussion has been closed.