What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Little Starbase /Fleet Management Rage

2»

Comments

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    "Who are you or anyone else to think you should have any right to dictate to me how I run my fleet or anyone else?"

This is not a good idea to have as a leader. The current leader of my fleet has this attitude, and because of it our fleet has gone from being super active with members always playing with each other to everyone just doing their own thing and occasionally speaking to one another.

Our old leader used to know how to properly run events and get people invested, but because the current one thinks no one has a right to try to give her advice or suggest she's doing something wrong the fleet has gone down the toilet. Most people just staying because we have everything maxed out.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    As someone who is a fleet leader and has been a member of fleets I'm going to be blunt and level with you on this one. [...]
    Thanking you for two very well thought out and forthright posts on fleets.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    westx211 wrote: »
    "Who are you or anyone else to think you should have any right to dictate to me how I run my fleet or anyone else?"

This is not a good idea to have as a leader. The current leader of my fleet has this attitude, and because of it our fleet has gone from being super active with members always playing with each other to everyone just doing their own thing and occasionally speaking to one another.

Our old leader used to know how to properly run events and get people invested, but because the current one thinks no one has a right to try to give her advice or suggest she's doing something wrong the fleet has gone down the toilet. Most people just staying because we have everything maxed out.

Ignoring random strangers and not giving as much weight to new fleet members as to veteran members is not having a bad attitude.

If you read the full posts he described a fleet of like-minded players who wanted a structured, quasi-military organization rather than a democracy where every vote is equal. If that's the fleet people want they should be able to run their fleet that way. As long as they disclose their philosophy to new members it sounds good to me.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    I didn't mention needing to ignore random members. I've been with my fleet 7 years yet our leader treats my opinion as highly as she does the opinion of a newbie. Which is she treats it like TRIBBLE.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    The fleet I'm in is extremely casual-friendly, which is one reason why I'm still in it. They require that all members log in and play once every month or two, and advancement in the fleet is based purely on contributions to fleet projects. Everyone gets access to the first level of the bank, where basically garbage gets put, with higher tiers being restricted by rank. (I think I have access to two or three tiers - not sure, because I don't use it much.)

The proposal to have Cryptic seize control of all fleets and administer them uniformly would actually make my experience with my fleet worse, not better.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    jonsills wrote: »

The proposal to have Cryptic seize control of all fleets and administer them uniformly would actually make my experience with my fleet worse, not better.

Agreed, my fleet (I'm in the fleet, I don't own it) runs like a well oiled machine and the last thing we need is the STO form of 'Government Oversight.'

If you're unhappy with the way your fleet is run, then that fleet is not for you. There are thousands of Fleets in STO, if you're unhappy.. go find a better fleet.

Though, if you're going to cause drama and rant on the forums, please don't ask me for an invite to mine. :lol:
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator

Pretty sure it would make EVERYONE have a worse fleet experience. Every fleet runs differently. Some are mostly for RP purposes. Some, like mine and jonsills', are casual friendly. Some specialize in PvP. Others are hardcore that strive to achieve the biggest numbers. No two fleets are the same. Well... unless you happen to also run a fleet on the opposing side as well or have satellite fleets due to the main fleet being maxed out member wise. My fleet also has a KDF fleet we run in pretty much the same way as the Fed fleet. Its just we main Fed so the KDF fleet doesn't have as much progress in it. But we have it.

Trying to dictate how other fleets are run is not a good idea. Frankly if the OP is so concerned about how a fleet is run... make a new fleet and run it the way you want. Don't try and impose your style and views on everyone in the game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Pretty sure it would make EVERYONE have a worse fleet experience. Every fleet runs differently. Some are mostly for RP purposes. Some, like mine and jonsills', are casual friendly. Some specialize in PvP. Others are hardcore that strive to achieve the biggest numbers. No two fleets are the same. Well... unless you happen to also run a fleet on the opposing side as well or have satellite fleets due to the main fleet being maxed out member wise. My fleet also has a KDF fleet we run in pretty much the same way as the Fed fleet. Its just we main Fed so the KDF fleet doesn't have as much progress in it. But we have it.

Trying to dictate how other fleets are run is not a good idea. Frankly if the OP is so concerned about how a fleet is run... make a new fleet and run it the way you want. Don't try and impose your style and views on everyone in the game.
    I agree.

However, I do believe there are fleet owners in the game who would want an option to offer real guarantees of status for their investing members. Something more than just promises that nothing in the game actually requires them (or their successors if they quit) to uphold. Because offering proper security for investment makes people more willing to invest.

Similarly, I believe there are also a lot of players, casual players only in a fleet at all for the holdings, who might prefer an option to join a completely automatically managed "fleet" so they wouldn't need to concern themselves with finding a fleet who's management they can trust in the first place.
  • Options
    scotty8863scotty8863 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I will address this to Fleet Leaders in general and not single anyone out:

Dear Mr. Fleet Leader,

First and foremost, and I know this is going to come as shock to you, but it is not “your” fleet. You are a member of the Fleet temporarily in a senior position.

Let me ask you something, when do you intend to step-down as Fleet Leader? Never right? And there is nothing Fleeties can do to remove you. Fleet Leader and control of the Starbase were never intended to be lifetime positions. Cryptic instituted the Inactive mechanism for >180 day MIA Leaders but that has not worked out so well.

There are Leaders who have long moved on from STO, but they are still Fleet Leaders in STO because they will not let go. Why? Because, they know the Starbase means control and $$$. Is that right or good for the game?

I blame Cryptic for this situation. It was a mistake to link the Starbase with the Fleet. Some other scheme could have been devised.

But the current Fleet Leader attitude of only “I” can do this, this is my Fleet and my Starbase, must be ripped out of the game by it’s roots. And if the current Fleet Leader is so talented and loved he should have no trouble getting re-elected Leader!

When the Starbase expansion was introduced to the game no one knew exactly what to expect or what it’s future in the game would be. We all wanted shining new Fleet items and banded together. Players who weren’t in Fleets joined Fleets to get access to Fleet Provisions.

When we all made contributions to build the Starbase, if the pop-up confirmation window would have said that this is a donation to Fleet Leader ABCD so he can own a Starbase, most of us wouldn’t have contributed a dime.

Cryptic, please take control of the Starbase system and restructure the Fleet hierarchy in a democratic, criteria driven fashion. We have had greedy, incompetent, egotistical Leaders of hapchance imposed on us and have been dispossessed of our fleet material contributions. Just like the Weekend Store, we need a Fleet Leader/Starbase DO OVER! We have evolved as a game. The current structure is no longer practical for the game.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    scotty8863 wrote: »
    I will address this to Fleet Leaders in general and not single anyone out:

Dear Mr. Fleet Leader,

First and foremost, and I know this is going to come as shock to you, but it is not “your” fleet. You are a member of the Fleet temporarily in a senior position.

Let me ask you something, when do you intend to step-down as Fleet Leader? Never right? And there is nothing Fleeties can do to remove you. Fleet Leader and control of the Starbase were never intended to be lifetime positions. Cryptic instituted the Inactive mechanism for >180 day MIA Leaders but that has not worked out so well.

There are Leaders who have long moved on from STO, but they are still Fleet Leaders in STO because they will not let go. Why? Because, they know the Starbase means control and $$$. Is that right or good for the game?

I blame Cryptic for this situation. It was mistake to link the Starbase with the Fleet. Some other scheme could have been devised.

But the current Fleet Leader attitude of only “I” can do this, this is my Fleet and my Starbase, must be ripped out of the game by it’s roots. And if the current Fleet Leader is so talented and loved he should have no trouble getting re-elected Leader!

When the Starbase expansion was introduced to the game no one knew exactly what to expect or what it’s future in the game would be. We all wanted shining new Fleet items and banded together. Players who weren’t in Fleets joined Fleets to get access to Fleet Provisions.

When we all made contributions to build the Starbase, if the pop-up confirmation window would have said that this is a donation to Fleet Leader ABCD so he can own a Starbase, most of us wouldn’t have contributed a dime.

Cryptic, please take control of the Starbase system and restructure the Fleet hierarchy in a democratic, criteria driven fashion. We have had greedy, incompetent, egotistical Leaders of hapchance imposed on us and have been dispossessed of our fleet material contributions. Just like the Weekend Store, we need a Fleet Leader/Starbase DO OVER! We have evolved as a game. The current structure is no longer practical for the game.

Now I know you're trolling.. just like your other posts.

You had me for a bit.. but then you pushed it a little too far and now we can tell what's really going on.

You did get me once with your 4 star trolling.. I tip my hat to you sir, you're a master. It took me a minute to realize you weren't actually serious and you almost got me again.

Well done, the mods should decide for themselves what to do with this thread, but obviously this is nothing but 4 star trolling.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    scotty8863 wrote: »

You are quite wrong there - whomever starts the fleet, owns the fleet. If you don't like the rules of the owner, then you can leave. This is the way the game is set up, regardless of how you 'feel' about the issue. And if the owner of any fleet decides to pass that ownership on to another person, that is also no one elses business.

At no point has Cryptic ever stated that donating resources to a fleet infers any kind of 'ownership' to those donating. The owner may decide to promote them, or may completely ignore them, or even kick them. That's completely up to the OWNER.

The way I see fleets is the same way I see 'my house, my rules'. If somebody brings a bottle of wine to my house and and then I decide to kick them out, the government (Cryptic) is not going to intervene, and rightly so. Everybody has the option to start their own fleet if they don't like the 'house rules'.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    It's obvious at this point that this thread has served it's purpose and is doing nothing more than devolving into a rant thread. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.