test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO needs more cowbell (and admiralty, and ships, and QoL improvements)

dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
Problem: Players want those sweet sweet single character ships on more than one character and/or be able to afford one at all. Cryptic still wants to earn money.

My multiple step suggestion:

Introduce another admiralty campaign. Now that we all are friends again call it something like alliance cooperation. Theme it around helping the various alliance powers. Primary rewards could be something like bonus pools, because who doesn't like a nice bonus pool. The important thing would be the ToD reward. Let's call it token.
So every 10 days (or more realistically every 14) you can earn one or two of these tokens.

What should we be able to do with them?
Tokens have two possible uses.

First use:
The admiralty ship store. A store where 'all' possible ascards are listed. Want to have a galaxy-class cruiser ascard on your klink? Buy it with a token.
Have a new character that just got ready for admiralty and you dread the two hours it will take to claim all your ships from all the different locations and still miss a couple anyway? Claim all the ascards you own from ONE location (obviously you should not have to pay extra for ships you already own). Additional costs could be attached to ships you normaly would have no access too (energy credits for the lower tiers, dilithium for t6 and upwards (as in lobi/lockbox)).

Second use:
Use tokens to unlock the possibility to level your single character ship to shiplevel six. Once you reach that you can claim one account bound shipbox. To open that box on another of your characters you need an additional token on that char.

Obviously we would want some kind of tiered system. Missed event ships and outdated t5 would require an amount of tokens that can be filled with one completion of the ToD. Lobi store ships would require two completions of the ToD. Lockbox ships something between 2.5 or 3 completions. Promo ships we leave out of this proposal for the time being.

Quick recap: 10 or 20ish days of admiralty, a quick ship leveling to 6 then you earn ONE account bound box for further use on another of your characters.

To avoid unexpected surprises I would not roll this out in one patch but start with the event and t5 ship tier. Followed by lobi ships soon after that (once it cleared the 'no exploits' threshold). Give it a good hard shakedown then before the final tier with lockbox ships gets unlocked.

Plenty of adjustment options too. The account bound ship boxes could be require master keys to open instead of tokens on the receiving character for example. Not to mention that the whole price balancing probably should left to smarter people. I just wanted to provide a concept.
Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Cowbell??.. you mean Cattle Cloak??, because i really want that!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    cowbell, you say?

81bU99ndafL._SX425_.jpg​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.