test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New US loot box bill

13»

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,212 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Agreed. The Black Alert trait may not be available outside of getting the Crossfield, but its not that impressive of a trait. Yea you get that little extra torp spread from a dupe you spawn based on your actions, but its probably comparable to a torp spread from a hanger pet. IE not impressive on its own.

I'd probably get more damage out of a full wing of Elite Xindi-Primate Heavy Fighters firing their torp spreads than I would from Black Alert, and I don't have to sac a Trait Slot to do it.

A better example of an extremely powerful trait is something like the trait off the Klingon Intel Battlecruiser they just released. That thing is unholy levels of power on torpedo builds and while feds can get it for cheap, klinks who have much more torpedo build players are kind of screwed.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    You do realize that we're not actually in competition, yes? Being able to squeeze out a few more deeps might make your DPSstick feel happier, but it doesn't actually give you a "competitive advantage".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Yea... while the Lobi Store Astika's Supremacy trait may give me a bit of a boost... my build works just fine without it (especially since I don't even HAVE the Astika), and can actually surprise some people with its durability. While I'm no DPSer I've actually got a respectable build.

Also... your DPS is 0 when dead. So while I don't get the BIG numbers, I do consistant damage, and can actually survive a few more hits than some others in some cases. I never fully followed the all into attack "it can't hurt you if its already dead" mentality. I actually include survivability in my builds, making them more balanced. I may be a Jack of All Trades, but IMO that Flexability makes up for the lower overall DPS. Means I can respond to various things a bit better, such as a wide range of debuffs thrown at me. And that is with only one lockbox trait (Fed side Honored Dead)... that only adds to my survivability to a degree. I can still get oneshot though.

And some traits that look like they would work well together? May have cooldowns that make them less effective, such as the Traits off the Tarantula and Xindi-Primate Dread Cruiser. On paper they look like they could synergize well. In practice... not so much.

In all honesty... the only real power traits that most builds play off of most... are actually available via C-Store. Reciprocity is pretty much a meta staple that works with just about any build, and All Hands on Deck can also give you a nice boost in performance under the right conditions. Lockbox/Lobi traits? Add flavor. Maybe improve certain meta builds. But they're not "I win" buttons by a long shot. Hell... some traits are actually rather lackluster, like Black Alert.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    reciprocity has not been meta in well over a year...emergency weapon cycle still is, however - but only on energy builds​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, I think what we're hitting here is that class of players who believe that one particular metric (usually DPS, in my experience) renders something materially superior to everything else, to the point that they'll disparage what doesn't maximize that metric (like squeezing out three extra deeps) as "worthless". Which is fine for them, play the game how you like I say, but said players also have a tendency to assume that everyone (except maybe a handful of "carebears") believes what they do, and that somehow makes it objectively true.

Your Breen flying office block may do this thing or that better than my sleek little Bajoran Interceptor, but to me the Interceptor is superior simply because I like its look better. It certainly seems, in my non-parser-running gameplay, to be as good as your Breen craft at vaporizing the enemy, even though you want to point me at some parser readout after the battle to prove to me that my ship was "underperforming". It's a matter of taste, really, and not objective in the least.

On the third hand, as long as McConnell is Senate majority leader, nothing's getting passed unless it's approving any- and everyone Trump wants to appoint to an office, so really this bill's pretty much a nonstarter even if it were to somehow pass the House.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, I think what we're hitting here is that class of players who believe that one particular metric (usually DPS, in my experience) renders something materially superior to everything else, to the point that they'll disparage what doesn't maximize that metric (like squeezing out three extra deeps) as "worthless". Which is fine for them, play the game how you like I say, but said players also have a tendency to assume that everyone (except maybe a handful of "carebears") believes what they do, and that somehow makes it objectively true.

Your Breen flying office block may do this thing or that better than my sleek little Bajoran Interceptor, but to me the Interceptor is superior simply because I like its look better. It certainly seems, in my non-parser-running gameplay, to be as good as your Breen craft at vaporizing the enemy, even though you want to point me at some parser readout after the battle to prove to me that my ship was "underperforming". It's a matter of taste, really, and not objective in the least.

On the third hand, as long as McConnell is Senate majority leader, nothing's getting passed unless it's approving any- and everyone Trump wants to appoint to an office, so really this bill's pretty much a nonstarter even if it were to somehow pass the House.

Once again Jon sums it up perfectly so I don't have to. :smile:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @vetteguy904 said:
    > loot boxes are not gambling. you DO get SOMETHING.

A technicality, everyone knows the whole point is the ships, not the randon craap you sell on the exchange. It still preys on gambling addicts.
    "Everyone knows" is not a legal concept. "Everyone knows" that the speed limit in any given area is ten to twenty MPH too slow - try telling that to the judge while fighting your speeding ticket.

Of course, part of the reason that "everyone knows" isn't legal doctrine is because a fair percentage of the time, what "everyone knows" is wrong. That's one of the reasons there's a legal definition of "gambling", which these boxes do not meet.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also use of "everyone knows" as a defense usually means you're making it up....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg