test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you guys planning to get the new Disco Constitution or D7?

Comments

• xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    No, I won’t bother with them because…
    So those who have the Discovery Constitution, how good is the ship trait?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    i don't have it personally, because i'm not crosis and i'm not made of money, but from what i've heard of those that do have it...for being called PLOT armor, it isn't very good​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Thanks to @thegrandnagus1 I could test the ship on Tribble and it somewhat "cured" me from wanting it, but it's not the ship's fault but the "per account" limitation.

The Connie itself looks fine, however since there is no bridge, no customization to speak of and no actual hangar bay (pets just spawn somewhere next to the ship) I'd say it's not worth the effort to me personally. What I really like are the weapons and pets, those are fun.

6lRSiqN.jpg

1frD8OV.jpg

The phasers in particular look really beautiful, and they remove a lot of visual clutter since it's clean hard points and one steady beam during the firing cycle. The sound is a bit annoying (the TOS "scree" simply is not meant to be doubled six times) but it looks very nice and I'd like to put them on a lot of my ships. Downside is that they only come as arrays with a rather hefty dil cost (for any discarded or additional array you pay 43k dil). Since they are only unlocked per character however for me personally the investment would be nonsensical. The pets are big fun, the advanced versions from the dil store already melt enemies without you ever having to move. It really feels like proper carrier game play. But again, they are only usable on one character.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Thanks to @thegrandnagus1 I could test the ship on Tribble and it somewhat "cured" me from wanting it, but it's not the ship's fault but the "per account" limitation.

The Connie itself looks fine, however since there is no bridge, no customization to speak of and no actual hangar bay (pets just spawn somewhere next to the ship) I'd say it's not worth the effort to me personally. What I really like are the weapons and pets, those are fun.

6lRSiqN.jpg

1frD8OV.jpg

The phasers in particular look really beautiful, and they remove a lot of visual clutter since it's clean hard points and one steady beam during the firing cycle. The sound is a bit annoying (the TOS "scree" simply is not meant to be doubled six times) but it looks very nice and I'd like to put them on a lot of my ships. Downside is that they only come as arrays with a rather hefty dil cost (for any discarded or additional array you pay 43k dil). Since they are only unlocked per character however for me personally the investment would be nonsensical. The pets are big fun, the advanced versions from the dil store already melt enemies without you ever having to move. It really feels like proper carrier game play. But again, they are only usable on one character.​​

They really need to get that weapon visuals into the game in other forms. REp Gear or Lockbox gear or mission reward, whatever, it looks nice.

But I believe you can also get the general effect (but with a different color) with the Section 31 Lockbox Phasers.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    kirk2811 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > No, I wont, cause I dont have a thousand bucks to blow to the rng gods.
    > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game. valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > kellmg96#5851 wrote: »
    >
    > No, I wont, cause I dont have a thousand bucks to blow to the rng gods.
    > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Serious question - why would you risk that kind of money on RNG?
    >
    > You could spend a fraction of a fraction of that on keys, sell them for EC and buy it off the exchange.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wouldn't
    > Nor should I have to buy and sell keys
    > We shouldn't have to use real currency to buy that many keys for EC
    > Nor should have to have an army of alts to grind for 5 months for the dil to buy the keys to sell to buy with EC for 1 billion ec

None of this is true. You do not have to spend any money if you don't want to. You don't need an army, a few yes but as few as 10 will handle anything. You do not need 5 months to earn the EC either, with 10 characters the longest it will take is 2 months. Lastly you do not need to grind, jist run Admiralty and Doffing, nothing else needed

Actually Admiralty and Doffing on multiple characters is the most soul-sucking grind in the whole game.
    If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.

Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?

The TOS ships are slightly smaller (and they were not "refit" that way, Cage showed that they started out that size), but they are much more powerful and high tech than the DSC ships if you look beyond the kludges the production equipment of the time forced on them when they were filmed.

The thing is TOS was done at a time when the TV production values were much lower than they are today (it is amazing that it stands up as well as it does in fact), and the designs were done in googie style, a somewhat playful and hopeful futuristic style that is currently out of vogue in todays zeitgeist where cynicism and the idea that "the future is just more of today, only worse" is considered cool.

Compared to the TOS ships, the DSC ones are practically blind, very slow in combat, and cannot hit anything unless they are practically parked within touching distance of it.

In TOS, not only do they never stumble into asteroid fields because they cannot see where they are going when slowing to sublight from warp the way Discovery does, they were able to pick Spock out on a ship full of Romulans by looking for the "human factors" in his blood. In DSC Burnham has to use a toy telescope to look at something the sensors could not resolve.

The combat ranges in DSC are about a kilometer or less from the visuals. In TOS not only did the average combat take place at around 40,000km and in warp, they make a direct hit on NOMAD (who was only about a meter long in its longest dimension) at 90,000km with a photon torpedo while they were getting slammed around hard enough to drop them out of warp and everyone who was not seated was rolling around the bridge like oranges.

The difference is even worse when you take into account interviews and whatnot in which Roddenberry, Jefferies, or one of the others talks about what the stuff actually represented. Things like the office chairs they used for bridge stations with the "golf tee" style base instead of a regular "spider" were supposed to represent powered chairs that looked like they were extruded from the deck (an illusion that occasionally suffered from Nichelle Nichols accidently knocking hers over during "shaken bridge" events once or twice).

The shiny black semicircles that the controls are set in are dark glass in the real-world sets and were supposed to have customized context sensitive "controls" that lit up and changed depending on who was seated there but the plastic transparencies they were trying to use would start burning in twenty or thirty seconds so they had to leave them off. Otherwise they would have had the equivalent of LCARS in TOS. You can see how sparse the jewel buttons and other controls were in The Cage compared to the series after they gave up on the burning transparencies and threw on more buttons.

Anyway, the schtick was supposed to work by having someone sitting in the console chair, cutting to the person relieving them, then showing the relief sitting down at a differently configured panel (they would swap out the transparencies using the cut away to disguise the downtime it took to switch them) without the actor touching any buttons (the idea was that the ship knows who is sitting there and what their preferences are). Also, Uhura's panel (her station and Spock's were the most functional, the others were a bit simpler in construction) was supposed to look different depending on if she (or whoever else was there) was doing long range communication or internal stuff like damage control coordination.

All in all the TOS Enterprise was much more advanced functionally, it just does not look like every other starship on TV does nowadays.

Great post indeed imo. Very detailed analisys and hard lore facts to support it. Totally agree, kudos

Apart from the fact it's only because TOS had no grasp of 'reality' as the franchise developed. This was a ship that could apparently travel at Warp 14, reach the Galactic centre and rim, carry a full sized inflatable copy of itself, and ran on lithium.

Comparing the space magic from TOS to any other part of the franchise is silly and certainly can't be used for any meaningful comparisons considering almost everything about TOS has been retconned by every instalment in the franchise since.

Oh, and all the non-canon BtS fanwank that dosn't count, it only matters if it made it to screen, so all that stuff about the consoles and what not can be dismissed out of hand.

So, basically, not hard 'lore', or particularly analytical.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    The Elite Tactical Flyer Squadron reminds me a lot of Piranhas, or at least how I imagine them. They look somewhat smilar (if you squint your eyes), and if you let 2 full bays worth of them lose in Argala, they pick Kazon or Hirogen down to their bones in seemingly no time.

Anyone that is worred about the ship being overpowered - I would not be surprised if they nerf the beams and possibly even the pets (though I am not so sure about the pets, I don't have enough experience with them and haven't tried them all.) at some point.
    Don't make your purchase decision based on pure power alone, especially not shortly after release.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    No, because I am not a fool that supports exploitative business models in this empty husk of a game.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I dont get any ships which originate from gamble boxes as I dont gamble and I dont grind enough to get ec to buy off the exchange.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I decided that I am going to get it... eventually.

I am not a huge fan of the Constitution Class, but I like the Discovery Model.. it looks really nice. I also really like the pets and the visual effects (the main selling point.)

I am probably going to get it for an alt, my main is kinda well... DPS focused and this certainly won't be my 'go to' ship for DPS. I am going to wait for a while though, if it drops down to about 1-1.1 Billion (Currently 1.3) then I'll likely pick it up.

It's a cool looking ship and I'm a sucker for visual effects. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    I have the DSC Connie on Tribble now, and I really like it so far. *puts the ship on the "Someday on Holodeck" list*
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Leave politics out of it please.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

I am not a huge fan of the Constitution Class, but I like the Discovery Model.. it looks really nice. I also really like the pets and the visual effects (the main selling point.)

I am probably going to get it for an alt, my main is kinda well... DPS focused and this certainly won't be my 'go to' ship for DPS. I am going to wait for a while though, if it drops down to about 1-1.1 Billion (Currently 1.3) then I'll likely pick it up.

Hehe, reads like somebody fell in love. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Currently, there is no interest to use a ship from 25% variant change universe.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.

Hehe, reads like somebody fell in love. :)

Guilty as charged.. after playing with it on Tribble, I bought it.

Even with the beams at Mark XII VR it still performs pretty well, I have the Elite Pets on it and they are quite effective. Now I just need a Phoenix Box event and an Upgrade Weekend to fully pimp out those beams. :lol:

It's not my most DPS focused ship, I am favoring the aesthetics of the beams so I am not using the Trilithium or the Terran Phaser, it's a good build of course.. just not breaking the looks of the beams. It drained all my EC, I think I have about 150M left total..

It was worth it. :mrgreen:
    edited June 2019

It's not my most DPS focused ship, I am favoring the aesthetics of the beams so I am not using the Trilithium or the Terran

Curious how well the new beams perform vs. the terran one for example. :)

In any case big GZ on your new ship Sea. Awsome to see you just played for it and got it without making a gambling rip off thread. >:)
    animated.gif
    edited June 2019
    For those who can read german here is another thread citing this poll. Facinating by how much the author is off and not comprehending the situation in game. The promotion is being supported by a hell of a lot players given the info we get here not to mention the countless win anoucements we see in chat.

Big laugh at the end when he realizes we had exactly the same situation with another Enterprise two years ago. :D

https://mein-mmo.de/enterprise-discovery-arger-star-trek-online/
    animated.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Mine is the USS Constellation NX-1017. After I complete Mastery it will go to NCC.

I had to reroll my Hard Endeavor last night. It was Repair Shields. I couldn't get them to budge much at all. Got Kill Undine Ships instead. That was pretty quick.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Something that removes or reduces visual clutter sounds like an unintentional benefit, expect it to be patched out for the more normal technicolour vomit approach to visuals.

Remember that cryptic have not above using random @handles as "winners" for the obnoxious popup announcements to coax the weaker minded folk into gambling for a ship.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    For those who can read german here is another thread citing this poll. Facinating by how much the author is off and not comprehending the situation in game. The promotion is being supported by a hell of a lot players given the info we get here not to mention the countless win anoucements we see in chat.

Big laugh at the end when he realizes we had exactly the same situation with another Enterprise two years ago. :D

https://mein-mmo.de/enterprise-discovery-arger-star-trek-online/

This "article" is the same as the other mmo site's, really. These sites don't shine with journalistic integrity, really. There is nothing in it aside from "some guys on the forum are pissed" - don't get me wrong, some of the criticism is legitimate. At least I think so, for instance the per-character unlock for such expensive ships with no reclaim ability is quite bad. But the articles themselves aren't much better than a random forum post.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    To be clear, even though I did get a DISCO Connie, I am not overly thrilled with the lock box/R&D/Duty Officer Promotion system either.

I understand it.. I accept it, I get it.. that doesn't mean I have to like it. I will however point out a few things..

People like to point out the $270-$300 price tag to 'buy it outright.' While that may be true, that assumes you started at zero credits and used your zen to go from zero to the full price. I highly doubt that describes most players.

Personally, I had about 1B saved up.. slightly more. That was actually nothing much, I don't play for hours and hours every day and I have 9 active characters. Usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday are my days that I play a lot because I can be on at the same time as my fleet mates. Other days, I play maybe an hour to 1.5hrs a day and mostly just spend it doing admiralty and crafting upgrades to sell. Yes, getting to 1B took several months and for me I went from being 'space rich' to 'space poor' in one transaction. I did also spend about $40 USD in real money, but that was just an 'I want it now' thing, I could have waited and got it 100% for free.

Would I have preferred just being able to buy it outright as an account unlock? Of course.. I don't know any player that would favor having to save up for months and basically 'go broke' to get the ship they want over the option of a one time cost that gives it to all your characters. I understand however, that the real world doesn't usually work the way I want it to. These promo's bring in thousands and thousands of dollars.. I understand that if the game isn't profitable, it doesn't exist.

I also said in another thread, I consider the possibility that maybe Cryptic isn't 'the bad guy' in this situation. We all know that CBS has had rules in the past about the Constitution Class and that even though they did eventually allow it, they require it to be 'rare.' You can't fill that requirement by putting it in the C-Store. All they would say on the live stream is that there was no other 'viable method' to sell the ship. Obviously, they didn't elaborate, but honestly.. I don't believe that this promotion was entirely up to Cryptic.

If Cryptic really wanted to gouge people, the R&D Boxes would have been bound so that the only way you could get them was cash. Allowing them to be sold on the exchange is what allows people a 'gamble free' option.

That's the end of my rant on that matter. As for the ship itself, I spent pretty much all the EC I had saved up for the better part of 6 months..

And it was worth it.

Now I start building again, and next time something drops that I want I'll get that too just like I did here. :smile:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    and for anyone who thinks 200-300$ for a ship outrageous...i point you to scam shitizen and its five THOUSAND$ ship - that someone actually BOUGHT, and that was from some no-name IP to boot​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited June 2019

Now I start building again, and next time something drops that I want I'll get that too just like I did here. :smile:

Perfect mate. You have won. This is how STO works. :)

I'm at 969M atm. This thread with so many reporting in and of course your input is a good help as always for me.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Great ships and pets, but the grind isn't worth it.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    and for anyone who thinks 200-300$ for a ship outrageous...i point you to scam shitizen and its five THOUSAND$ ship - that someone actually BOUGHT, and that was from some no-name IP to boot​​

To be fair Star Citizen is run by a notorious scam artist who has literally scammed people multiple times before yet somehow people keep falling for him. He's like a clone of todd howard.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
This discussion has been closed.