test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you guys planning to get the new Disco Constitution or D7?

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    it won't, actually; people using it noted PLOT armor actually isn't very good...and only in STO can that even happen​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Using the fake French accent of the French man-at-arms from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
    I already got one. Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
    Hey folks, Peter here!

The ships are announced, the stats are released and the means to get them well know… Oh and great, I’m undecided again.

So I’d like to know: Are you guys planning to get the new Miracle Worker Flight Deck Cruiser? And why?

Feel free to discuss the stats, the price, the sexehness and try to convince me to get them or not to get them! Easy as that.

I thank everybody for his/her participation in this poll in advance.

-Pete

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    No, I won’t bother with them because…
    Not really greed for greed's sake as its the same nonsense as usual for the R&D gamble ships.

Greed would be making sure that folk would have been coaxed to blow all their zen beforehand by a well timed flash sale or two.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Damn you Cryptic, I really liked this game
    I was looking forward to getting the Connie
    I was looking forward to setting it up
    Using the new mines, the 2267 bridge
    I saved a ton of stuff in my bank for my new toon
    And finally starting a new AoD toon, a Kelpien (hopefully)

What's stopping you from getting it? Just buy one on the exchange. No gambling required.

Well, clearly it might be the amount of money required. And I'm not going to pretend that $200 isn't a lot of money to drop on a video game. But to your point, if you ARE going to spend that amount of money on a game it's definitely better to do it with a guaranteed outcome than just hoping to get lucky.

To both of these points, I'm putting this offer out there again for anyone interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/c31a0r/hi_im_nagus_if_you_want_a_discoconnie_or_d7_on/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Not all lockbox ships are $200. Point is no one is stopping anyone from getting the ship if they want it so badly. $200 is what the market dictated price to be based on supply and demand. Either pony up or don't.

Yes, the comic book guy wannabes want their EC, yo!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • godimasgodimas Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    For now, no. In future, maybe.
    I really REALLY like this pet design, but I dont think a promo ship box token is worth just them. Ill give it 6 months or so and see if other pets of this style appear in game and make my decision then. Plus the pets would be for a plasma build - so yah - they dont match anyways.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    It's not a guy, it is the CBGC©®™ (Comic Book Guy Consortium) and they control the prices on the Exchange. ;)

https://youtu.be/dSpOjj4YD8c
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I have no interest in trying to get an overpriced ship character-only.

The Connie and D7 are nice, but not THAT nice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > No, I wont, cause I dont have a thousand bucks to blow to the rng gods.
    > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game. valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > kellmg96#5851 wrote: »
    >
    > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Serious question - why would you risk that kind of money on RNG?
    >
    > You could spend a fraction of a fraction of that on keys, sell them for EC and buy it off the exchange.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wouldn't
    > Nor should I have to buy and sell keys
    > We shouldn't have to use real currency to buy that many keys for EC
    > Nor should have to have an army of alts to grind for 5 months for the dil to buy the keys to sell to buy with EC for 1 billion ec

None of this is true. You do not have to spend any money if you don't want to. You don't need an army, a few yes but as few as 10 will handle anything. You do not need 5 months to earn the EC either, with 10 characters the longest it will take is 2 months. Lastly you do not need to grind, jist run Admiralty and Doffing, nothing else needed

Actually Admiralty and Doffing on multiple characters is the most soul-sucking grind in the whole game.
    If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.

Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?

The TOS ships are slightly smaller (and they were not "refit" that way, Cage showed that they started out that size), but they are much more powerful and high tech than the DSC ships if you look beyond the kludges the production equipment of the time forced on them when they were filmed.

The thing is TOS was done at a time when the TV production values were much lower than they are today (it is amazing that it stands up as well as it does in fact), and the designs were done in googie style, a somewhat playful and hopeful futuristic style that is currently out of vogue in todays zeitgeist where cynicism and the idea that "the future is just more of today, only worse" is considered cool.

Compared to the TOS ships, the DSC ones are practically blind, very slow in combat, and cannot hit anything unless they are practically parked within touching distance of it.

In TOS, not only do they never stumble into asteroid fields because they cannot see where they are going when slowing to sublight from warp the way Discovery does, they were able to pick Spock out on a ship full of Romulans by looking for the "human factors" in his blood. In DSC Burnham has to use a toy telescope to look at something the sensors could not resolve.

The combat ranges in DSC are about a kilometer or less from the visuals. In TOS not only did the average combat take place at around 40,000km and in warp, they make a direct hit on NOMAD (who was only about a meter long in its longest dimension) at 90,000km with a photon torpedo while they were getting slammed around hard enough to drop them out of warp and everyone who was not seated was rolling around the bridge like oranges.

The difference is even worse when you take into account interviews and whatnot in which Roddenberry, Jefferies, or one of the others talks about what the stuff actually represented. Things like the office chairs they used for bridge stations with the "golf tee" style base instead of a regular "spider" were supposed to represent powered chairs that looked like they were extruded from the deck (an illusion that occasionally suffered from Nichelle Nichols accidently knocking hers over during "shaken bridge" events once or twice).

The shiny black semicircles that the controls are set in are dark glass in the real-world sets and were supposed to have customized context sensitive "controls" that lit up and changed depending on who was seated there but the plastic transparencies they were trying to use would start burning in twenty or thirty seconds so they had to leave them off. Otherwise they would have had the equivalent of LCARS in TOS. You can see how sparse the jewel buttons and other controls were in The Cage compared to the series after they gave up on the burning transparencies and threw on more buttons.

Anyway, the schtick was supposed to work by having someone sitting in the console chair, cutting to the person relieving them, then showing the relief sitting down at a differently configured panel (they would swap out the transparencies using the cut away to disguise the downtime it took to switch them) without the actor touching any buttons (the idea was that the ship knows who is sitting there and what their preferences are). Also, Uhura's panel (her station and Spock's were the most functional, the others were a bit simpler in construction) was supposed to look different depending on if she (or whoever else was there) was doing long range communication or internal stuff like damage control coordination.

All in all the TOS Enterprise was much more advanced functionally, it just does not look like every other starship on TV does nowadays.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited June 2019

What's stopping you from getting it? Just buy one on the exchange. No gambling required.

Im not going to, and frankly we shouldn't have to, use an army of alts to grind content/adm/doff for 2 months to get something that peeps with a 1 grand to blow get today.

Id rather pay 10 a month sub, and do a questline for it. OR
    Just pay the 30 bucks and BUY it in the Zen store.

Gambling in games like this is wrong.

No need to gamble, no need to spend $1,000. Buy it off the exchange.

Your forum join date is June 2017, so if you've been playing that long then compared to WoW and Final Fantasy XIV you've saved $360 on subscription fees + $80 on expansions. You can choose to spend some of that if you want.

The STO model is all content and 3 ships a year are free, while other ships cost $30 - $250+. Like most MMOs, that's the funding model that players have chosen to support.

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @smokebailey said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.
    >
    > Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The beatings it took over TOS, and the it being a well known ship, tells me otherwise.
    > Discoprise, and the other disco ships, look less advanced to me.

I could have worded it better...I meant why did they take a ship so powerful and make it smaller and weaker as the TOS era ship is compared to the same ship a decade before.
    > @smokebailey said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.
    >
    > Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The beatings it took over TOS, and the it being a well known ship, tells me otherwise.
    > Discoprise, and the other disco ships, look less advanced to me.

I could have worded it better...I meant why did they take a ship so powerful and make it smaller and weaker as the TOS era ship is compared to the same ship a decade before.

You can't really compare TOS and Discovery since TOS has 1966 "future" tech while Discovery has 2017 versions. One look at the bridges should tell you that.

You might as well ask: why did they rip out all the flat panel LCDs and touch-based controls and replace them with banks of light bulbs and toggle switches?
  • firefly225firefly225 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    Well I kinda wish it was in the Cstore just like the Buran,or Galaxy class ...but yeah I’m going to go hunt for it regardless... I already have two characters in the TOS and Disco era so it be nice to add this ship to their Fleet... hey Cryptic for your next Season can it be based off of the 22nd Century? I would love to do some missions the enterprises series 😊
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Nope. Not interested in TRIBBLE ships characters or stories. This is nice though, as it gives me a chance to save resources for something I really want later. But with a Temporal Light Cruiser in my inventory, there’s not much else I’d want, except actual WOK beams.
    edited June 2019

Im not going to, and frankly we shouldn't have to, use an army of alts to grind content/adm/doff for 2 months to get something that peeps with a 1 grand to blow get today.

Id rather pay 10 a month sub, and do a questline for it. OR
    Just pay the 30 bucks and BUY it in the Zen store.

Gambling in games like this is wrong.

Your forum join date is June 2017, so if you've been playing that long then compared to WoW and Final Fantasy XIV you've saved $360 on subscription fees + $80 on expansions. You can choose to spend some of that if you want.

Because, if you choose to spend spend monies years ago, it just auto saves to your bank never to be spent on bills or rent or gas or food again.

Are you TRIBBLE stupid?

Yea, lemme go pull that right out.
    Course if I spent that much, or even some of it, I'd be TRIBBLE stupid too.

0.o

Living below your means and putting money into savings is a winning financial strategy. If you save up for purchases ahead of time you can keep a zero balance on your credit cards too, saving even more.

If you couldn't afford $15 a month from 2017 - now you should be grateful to Cryptic for letting you play STO for free.

You could also consider that your free gaming was paid for by things like lock box and pack ships. Servers, salaries, Star Trek voice actors, and license fees to CBS are not cheap.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > > No, I wont, cause I dont have a thousand bucks to blow to the rng gods.
    > > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game. valoreah wrote: »
    > >
    > > kellmg96#5851 wrote: »
    > >
    > > No, I wont, cause I dont have a thousand bucks to blow to the rng gods.
    > > I'm pretty sure i'm just going to quit the game.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Serious question - why would you risk that kind of money on RNG?
    > >
    > > You could spend a fraction of a fraction of that on keys, sell them for EC and buy it off the exchange.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I wouldn't
    > > Nor should I have to buy and sell keys
    > > We shouldn't have to use real currency to buy that many keys for EC
    > > Nor should have to have an army of alts to grind for 5 months for the dil to buy the keys to sell to buy with EC for 1 billion ec
    >
    > None of this is true. You do not have to spend any money if you don't want to. You don't need an army, a few yes but as few as 10 will handle anything. You do not need 5 months to earn the EC either, with 10 characters the longest it will take is 2 months. Lastly you do not need to grind, jist run Admiralty and Doffing, nothing else needed
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually Admiralty and Doffing on multiple characters is the most soul-sucking grind in the whole game.

2 minutes of clicking is a grind to you? Sad.

For someone who hates stupid little arithmetic and "match this with that" games, yes it is a grind. On the other hand the combat a lot of people seem to think is so much of a grind is breeze to me, and provides a pleasant little bit of adrenaline as well. In Black Desert my favorite class is the Tamer, the most frenetic class in the game (though Maehwa and Lahn are good too), some people just prefer action and fast tactical decisions to inane puzzles.

And even if it was "2 minutes of clicking" (which it isn't if you try to do any optimization with a small number of ships to work with) that is still close to an hour of mind-numbing boredom doing it on 20 characters when you take things like the loading screens into account too.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You could spend a fraction of a fraction of that on keys, sell them for EC and buy it off the exchange.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wouldn't
    > Nor should have to have an army of alts to grind for 5 months for the dil to buy the keys to sell to buy with EC for 1 billion ec

None of this is true. You do not have to spend any money if you don't want to. You don't need an army, a few yes but as few as 10 will handle anything. You do not need 5 months to earn the EC either, with 10 characters the longest it will take is 2 months. Lastly you do not need to grind, jist run Admiralty and Doffing, nothing else needed

Actually Admiralty and Doffing on multiple characters is the most soul-sucking grind in the whole game.
    If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.

Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?

The TOS ships are slightly smaller (and they were not "refit" that way, Cage showed that they started out that size), but they are much more powerful and high tech than the DSC ships if you look beyond the kludges the production equipment of the time forced on them when they were filmed.

The thing is TOS was done at a time when the TV production values were much lower than they are today (it is amazing that it stands up as well as it does in fact), and the designs were done in googie style, a somewhat playful and hopeful futuristic style that is currently out of vogue in todays zeitgeist where cynicism and the idea that "the future is just more of today, only worse" is considered cool.

Compared to the TOS ships, the DSC ones are practically blind, very slow in combat, and cannot hit anything unless they are practically parked within touching distance of it.

In TOS, not only do they never stumble into asteroid fields because they cannot see where they are going when slowing to sublight from warp the way Discovery does, they were able to pick Spock out on a ship full of Romulans by looking for the "human factors" in his blood. In DSC Burnham has to use a toy telescope to look at something the sensors could not resolve.

The combat ranges in DSC are about a kilometer or less from the visuals. In TOS not only did the average combat take place at around 40,000km and in warp, they make a direct hit on NOMAD (who was only about a meter long in its longest dimension) at 90,000km with a photon torpedo while they were getting slammed around hard enough to drop them out of warp and everyone who was not seated was rolling around the bridge like oranges.

The difference is even worse when you take into account interviews and whatnot in which Roddenberry, Jefferies, or one of the others talks about what the stuff actually represented. Things like the office chairs they used for bridge stations with the "golf tee" style base instead of a regular "spider" were supposed to represent powered chairs that looked like they were extruded from the deck (an illusion that occasionally suffered from Nichelle Nichols accidently knocking hers over during "shaken bridge" events once or twice).

The shiny black semicircles that the controls are set in are dark glass in the real-world sets and were supposed to have customized context sensitive "controls" that lit up and changed depending on who was seated there but the plastic transparencies they were trying to use would start burning in twenty or thirty seconds so they had to leave them off. Otherwise they would have had the equivalent of LCARS in TOS. You can see how sparse the jewel buttons and other controls were in The Cage compared to the series after they gave up on the burning transparencies and threw on more buttons.

Anyway, the schtick was supposed to work by having someone sitting in the console chair, cutting to the person relieving them, then showing the relief sitting down at a differently configured panel (they would swap out the transparencies using the cut away to disguise the downtime it took to switch them) without the actor touching any buttons (the idea was that the ship knows who is sitting there and what their preferences are). Also, Uhura's panel (her station and Spock's were the most functional, the others were a bit simpler in construction) was supposed to look different depending on if she (or whoever else was there) was doing long range communication or internal stuff like damage control coordination.

All in all the TOS Enterprise was much more advanced functionally, it just does not look like every other starship on TV does nowadays.

1g9uUE1.jpg
    You....

..........NAILED IT! :)

Not to mention the exteriors are sleek, smooth, clean.....no greebles or kibble on it. Everything is INSIDE. And the hulls ,in the novel "Wounded Sky" were woven with crystalline threads, making it mega strong. And look at Discovery...a few ROCKS tore the hull like tinfoil. In the remastered "Doomsday Machine" rocks were shattering on the hull of the Constellation....and it was a wreck because of the mega powerful Doomsday Machine itself.

And you nailed it on the hopeful stuff, as well.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited June 2019
    (Objectionable material removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • thundergodcid#6032 thundergodcid Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    How do you "plan on" getting something that's random chance? Rare R&D and Lockbox drops are so astronomically low that you'll spend far more money trying to get it than you would out right buying it from the Zen Store. And NO, I'm not going to waste my time selling $200 in Keys just so that I can buy one off the Exchange.

Now IF it were available as a Lobi or Zen Store purchase, then Yes I would get it, without a second thought. But as it stands, it's not worth the grief or the money.
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wouldn't

Great post indeed imo. Very detailed analisys and hard lore facts to support it. Totally agree, kudos
This discussion has been closed.