test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you guys planning to get the new Disco Constitution or D7?

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    No, I won’t bother with them because…
    Not gonna “gamble” for a ship that can only be played on one single toon... not gonna spend billions of EC on a ship I can only play on one toon... Believe me, I’d LOVE to fly a T6 Connie, but it should be one I can play on any toon, not just one toon... Especially for that much money...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    After seeing it in action on the live stream, I am changing my answer to 'maybe.'

I of course won't pay for it.. but I 'only' have about 1 Billion at this exact second.. so I might pick one up in the coming months if I start to get bored and need a shiny new ship to play with.

The look of all those fighters opening fire is quite cool. I still don't know if it's worth 1.3-1.5 Billion.. it will just depend on if there is something I want more. No matter what though, I am certainly not going to open packs to try and 'win' one.. that's just stupid. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    No, for me to cough up 1 billion + EC for a single character to get a ship, that ship has to be awesome to me. Which is to say I need to love the ship's aesthetics and for ship to be ideal for the way I like to play STO, and these ship are so far from that for me I wouldn't even buy them if they were in the Zen Store at half price. None of which is to say that others might not legitimately think the ships are amazing, for them. I'm way more interested in the T6 Risian Corvette.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    I get that they need these type of promotions to keep the game going. I can accept that even though I'm not a fan of gambling boxes, and other F2P games have proven that they can indeed be very successful without them. However, their explanation from the livestream puzzled me:
    ..based on the data we have in house on how people interface with our game this [R&D promo] was really the only viable choice..

I this a convoluted way of saying we need the additional income? If yes, why don't they just say so?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    szim wrote: »
    I get that they need these type of promotions to keep the game going. I can accept that even though I'm not a fan of gambling boxes, and other F2P games have proven that they can indeed be very successful without them. However, their explanation from the livestream puzzled me:
    ..based on the data we have in house on how people interface with our game this [R&D promo] was really the only viable choice..

I this a convoluted way of saying we need the additional income? If yes, why don't they just say so?

I can only guess here but here is my theory..

We do know that at one time (2012) CBS opposed the idea of an end game Constitution Class. When they finally did start allowing ships they originally opposed, they wanted them to be very rare.

My guess is that Cryptic had to hold to a specific rule regarding the rarity of this ship. I have to believe that they simply were not allowed to just drop it in the C-Store because this gives them no control over it's rarity and makes the ship extremely common (lets be honest, the skies would be full of these if it was a C-Store ship.) Because of this, the R&D box was the only way to satisfy the requirement because of it's extremely unfavorable odds.

Now, to be clear.. I am not excusing this practice. I am not endorsing it or absolving anyone of blame.. I am just suggesting that in this case the blame might actually be on CBS and not Cryptic. Like everyone else on this forum I have no actual knowledge of how the agreement between the two works, this is just the theory that makes the most sense to me given Kael's comments on the live stream.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

I of course won't pay for it.. but I 'only' have about 1 Billion at this exact second.. so I might pick one up in the coming months if I start to get bored and need a shiny new ship to play with.

Sounds perfect. At the moment I intend to do the same. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I wont pay for ships that are 1 char unlocks and I find there a massive waste of money because of the rising tier system of the game.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    While I do want these ships a lot (and I really enjoy DSC), I simply can't justify spending a bunch of money on keys etc to sell. Can't afford to, even.

Nor am I willing to burn myself out even more from STO than I already am to get the EC.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Eh, I'll take one on the off chance one drops from cracking a few boxes. But not gonna go out of my way for it.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    szim wrote: »

That kind of statement makes me think they've determined that they don't have the population to rely on C-Store sales, so breaking it down more than they did probably would have triggered some doom threads. I'm probably guilty of encouraging this myself in a way, with the slow drip of content I only really play the game once a year to binge play all the new episodes, with occasional logins throughout the year to spend my lifetime stipend on promo packs, I haven't spent cash on them in years though. I HAVE spent cash on C-Store items in the past two years, but not as frequently because they rarely release anything interesting there anymore.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Well, I've made my decision. Unless the customization options improve, I will not be going after this ship. She's an absolute powerhouse, but I just cannot get past certain aesthetic choices that were made when it was originally built. The model team here made a wonderful model but it's not for me.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    I wont pay for ships that are 1 char unlocks and I find there a massive waste of money because of the rising tier system of the game.

T6 has been the top tier for ships since Delta Rising in Fall 2014, and the devs have said repeatedly that there are no plans to add a T7 any time soon. The Scryer, Guardian, Mat'Ha, etc. are still good endgame ships.

I am more careful about buying single-character unlocks though, and while I have more than a dozen lock box and lobi ships I have none of the pack ships. (All of the lock box and some of the lobi ships were purchased from the exchange.)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, for my Discovery Character. I've had this Promotion Choice Pack since the first R&D Infinity Promotion in December, 2016. So technically, I'm not getting anything, just using what I already have.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I assume 'planning' means 'buy' and not just depending on luck.

No, because depending on how you do the cost pathing, it will cost you $200 - $400 to get one.
    No single use ship is worth that. Unless you plan to use it for the rest of STO's life and you can justify all the other ships you arn't going to buy in the future. But even that could be a stretch. Is this ship worth not buying 7-13 C-store ships for equal monetary output? :/ I just wonder what would happen to the game if the top 50 whales stopped buying gamble boxes. Because I'm assuming the average player has stopped spending cash on them.
  • edoachedoach Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    I would have considered the conny but now that I learned its a carrier, I rather get my TOS char a proper ship.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    If anybody would like to have a disco connie or d7 on TRIBBLE, send a mail FROM TRIBBLE to captain@the.grand.nagus and I will mail you a ship back.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.

Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I'd like to get either the Disco Connie or D7, but ATM, I am "Space Poor."
    XzRTofz.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    I've the the T6 Connie I want. The classic original design, that (until ST: D) was the one true 'Hero ship' of the 23rd century.

I'll skip the Discoprise for a variety of reasons, including:

- That fact it's in a limited 'Promo Box' and not a standard Lockbox (I'm NOT a fan of Lockboxes to begin with, but at least now with the Infinity Box, there's no artificial compounding of scarcity.

- This will be the FIRST 'Promo Box' ship to NOT include at least a unique Bridge (and the ST: D S2 Disco Connie Bridge WAS a thing of beauty, yet even though ALL the other TV Series based Enterprises came with their particular Bridges, TBTB at Cryptic decided it wasn't worth Dev time/effort to do it for this ONE Enterprise in particular. Again, they did unique Bridges it for the JJ-Prise, the JJ-Vengence, The JJ Klingon D-4, and even a Romulan ship based on the JJ-Verse; but for a updated take of the original iconic 'Enterprise', a unique Bridge in the vein of what we saw Pike walk onto on the current Star Trek franchise flagship series isn't worth the Dev time, and they'll put the ship in a 'Promo Box' and not a standard Lockbox.

Again, it seems particularly money grubbing to put a ship like this out via the a 'Promo Box" and not via a standard Master Key Lockbox (especially without a unique Bridge that they had 2 months to make. They sure got the new 'Fighter Pod' mechanics in quick enough - and don't tell me that they couldn't have gotten a look at the Disco Ent bridge earlier if they really wanted too. It was know for at least two months prior to the episode 'airing' that we'd see said Bridge.)

So, yeah, while I held my nose and put up with the 'promo Box' paradigm to get the original TOS T6 Connie, it's not a paradigm I wish to support so yeah, I'll vote with my wallet and stay away from this debacle.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    The lack of a unique bridge isn't a major issue for me but it is an issue that can be added to the list. Adding a unique bridge still wouldn't be enough to overcome the things that I dislike about the in-game Discoprise. Mainly the fact that it's a kinda/sorta carrier that lacks the one cruiser command that actually matters. Can't load dual cannons though I get why it can't load dual cannons. No kitbashing is also a bit of a letdown.

Still a great ship but I already have the Temporal Light Cruiser and I'm quite happy with it. Maybe there's a slight missed opportunity here to have a similar mechanic to the Mirror Crossfield and Dyson cruisers. Two "modes" one of which makes it more of a traditional cruiser with cruiser commands and another mode that makes it more of a flight deck cruiser while disabling a front weapon and said cruiser commands.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    Not with real money going to Cryptic, I will get it at a reasonable price on the exchange.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    If I bought some R&D packs and they did strike paydirt I’d actually consider picking one only because they look quite OP.

Problem is, I’m not all that interested in spending money on STO anymore.......though I’m mildly curious how/ why the Federation chose to refit the Connie’s to be smaller and less powerful in the years prior to TOS. Perhaps because the Klingons told them to?

The beatings it took over TOS, and the it being a well known ship, tells me otherwise.
    Discoprise, and the other disco ships, look less advanced to me.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I got better games to spend my money on thats not in a gambling box so no!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I haven't given a damn about the Constitution/D7 since they released the first T6 Constitution and pretty much destroyed any interest I have in either of the ships.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    It will be unstoppable with that P.L.O.T. Armor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.