test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how bad did the team suck for this to happen???

annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
2vm61qr.jpg

lowly non optimized lil ole ME in a T6 Miranda....

serious though i popped that shield globe thingy a couple times and that aoe protomatter heal a couple times. if healing like that counts then that must be why
awkward.jpg
We Want Vic Fontaine
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    WTG sweetie. I just thought everyone got third place.. kinda like a participation trophy
    Spock.jpg

• qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    73.49%

Seriously though, yes, group heals matter, there.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    I thought this might be the exception as well and took a screenshot the first time it happened. Then it happened about eight more times to date lol.

Most junior toon on my account... a fed reman engineer in a phaser cannon morrigu with single torp using two incomplete specs and no group heals.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Judging from what you say and my own approach to it: maybe there are many "non optimized" players around?

Apart from the fact that most players don't optimize to the extent forum talks may lead you to believe: CC is quick and easy, it pops quickly, so when it comes around it's a good time to dust off neglected alts to let them collect a couple marks still missing for rep.

(I still don't know whether these ranks are considered "within your team of 5" or "within the TFO of 10")
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Yeah, healing counts, and more than raw DPS too. That was done back in the day to encourage people to heal other people. Plus, under-geared alts going through as mentioned above can raise your relative ranking too.

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Yeah and as it was stated before unlike what some people claim, it's actually quite rare to run into top tier DPSers in random pugs (only time it has happend to me as when said top tier DPSer as in my team when I queue up and thus would always be there). Most people would have quite un-optimized builds as thus quite low DPS, but then if it gets you thru the content it also doesn't matter.

and yes healing does matter and in fact might be the source of that "double rewards" bug.
  • poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    People can run CC with level 10s, it ain't hard to get number one when everyone else is 55 levels lower. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    spiritborn wrote: »
    and yes healing does matter and in fact might be the source of that "double rewards" bug.

Healing has always mattered in Crystalline.
    I think right now its either ranking us on both teams, or giving us rewards for both the normal and event version of Crystalline.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If I want to pad my score I'll let myself take damage just so I actually have a reason to heal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've pulled first for healing too. I'm far from an optimized player too. I'm probably on the lower end of dpsing, likely like any other casual player. I'm lucky to pull 20k.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    poddli wrote: »
    People can run CC with level 10s, it ain't hard to get number one when everyone else is 55 levels lower. :D
    Level 10's can run CC on advanced?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yes, I think they can. I don't have a lvl 10 to confirm though.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Judging from what you say and my own approach to it: maybe there are many "non optimized" players around?

LOL..Yes..There are.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I have pulled second place with a not particularly optimized Ytjara a few times, third with a variety of other ships fairly regularly (even with a new character in the twenty level range once), and just no place quite a few times. I have not reinstalled the parser yet so I do not know if I did especially well or the others did especially bad on any particular run though.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    As others have remarked, healing counts. Back before the valdore console was "nerfed," it was a good way to place first or second. (It heals shields based on damage out. It used to "heal" shields already at 100%, inflating your score,)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    poddli wrote: »
    Level 10's can run CC on advanced?

They can, but the OP's picture is from a Normal, note the Mk X rewards, which are easier to place higher in, tend to draw in people who are probably rightly uncertain of their builds, and thus actually take longer to complete. I had a few characters who had never picked up a first place in Advanced that took advantage of the event making Normals actually pop in order to finally get their trophies. I can get first in Advanced occasionally these days, but it's a random thing that I didn't want to wait for, so I took the easy route by going Normal.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    A lowbie in a ship without having removed any of the junk it comes equipped with can get 2nd on normal pretty regularly.

I suspect its mostly due to the level scaling being off in how much of a boost it gives lower levels.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I mean I can come in with my fresh level 60 in a Vengeance with gear not even close to optimized and none of my dps ship traits unlocked yet and still get top 3 every time

Lets be honest, STO thanks to the massive power creep over the years have such a immensely huge variable between bottom end to top end players. It's like comparing dps from a player who just auto attacks to a player who has their skills and rotations down to a tee.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think right now its either ranking us on both teams, or giving us rewards for both the normal and event version of Crystalline.
    Whatever it is, the two rewards have different algorithm and/or data set. I've been ranked 2nd on one and 3rd on the other.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, this has been going on since the event started.

If you want real fun, use the trait Improved Tachyon Beam and you come in 1st and 2nd almost every single time.

You can double your amount of useless vendor trash!! :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Useless vendor trash/useful Salvage.

Whether I think it is useful is still up for debate with myself, but salvage it is.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    > @protoneous said:
    > poddli wrote: »
    >
    > People can run CC with level 10s, it ain't hard to get number one when everyone else is 55 levels lower. :D
    >
    >
    >
    > Level 10's can run CC on advanced?

For the CCA.
    No, you need level 52 in minimal. Same level than admiralty unlock.
    I made a fresh character and leveled her.
    Even with her rainbow/torpedo XII or below, lack of build, without space skills, I already got the maximal reward, in CCA.
    So I assume, there is lot of unoptimized toons flying CCA.

> @protoneous said:
    > poddli wrote: »
    >
    > People can run CC with level 10s, it ain't hard to get number one when everyone else is 55 levels lower. :D
    >
    >
    >
    > Level 10's can run CC on advanced?

For the CCA.
    No, you need level 52 in minimal. Same level than admiralty unlock.
    I made a fresh character and leveled her.
    Even with her rainbow/torpedo XII or below, lack of build, without space skills, I already got the maximal reward, in CCA.
    So I assume, there is lot of unoptimized toons flying CCA.
    The nature of pugs, unoptimized toons, level scaling, how the event is weighting a player's success... still not sure what's going on here. The same toon I'm using in this event at L65 also parsed around 20K in ISA using Mk II beams at L50ish. I felt nervous just queuing up lol, but had just done quite nicely in a normal TFO so was curious. Seems they've turned on easy mode with respect to scaling or something.
This discussion has been closed.