test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

this game needs a better afk detection, a vote to kick and harsher penalties

awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
I personally play the game on the xbox one, but im sure that people on the pc and the ps4 that actually do not go afk would more than likely agree with me on allot of this.

this game desperately need a better afk detection a vote to kick option and allot harsher penalties for going afk specially during event tfo's

they should make the afk detection so that if a player is not moving or shooting within a 30-45 second window (not including countdowns of course or a cutscene) they should be marked a afk. and I do not mean moving/flying in a straight line and going to the edge of the map or moving/flying in a circle without ever doing anything within the tfo. I mean actually moving up/down/left/right/forward/backward not in the same direction the whole tfo.

there is not a single tfo that has you moving in the same direction for more than 30 second without not having to either shot something, interact with something or change direction

the most annoying is when a player does not even leave the spot they start at until the very end just to get some damage on some enemies to avoid an afk but yet they get the same rewards and the players that did all the work.

as for the penalties if it is an event tfo the 1st offense should be a 20hrs ban, 2nd offense should be a 40hr ban and if they get a 3 offense the player should be blocked from being able to queue the current event with any character on their account any more since if they did not learn after the 1st or 2nd offense they will not learn for the rest of the event time. almost a guarantee that you would have allot less if not non existant afkers if they were to suffer not being able to even complete an event project because of going afk

they should have a penalty for people that do not respawn when the repawn time is up when they die like in the arena of sompek because they want people to earn the reward for them.

if it is non event tfo's the 1st ban should be 1hr, then 2hrs, then 4hrs, then 6hrs, then 12hrs and then 24hrs and any offense after that is a 24hrs penalty for the month and then resets.

now I know I am going to get allot of negative comments from the people that go afk all the time because they do not want to earn the rewards for them self they want others to earn it for them.

people will say TRIBBLE like they had to use the washroom, well since most tfo's last around 15-20 mins think about either going before you queue the tfo, holding it till the end or drop out of the tfo to avoid an afk. or they have issues that come up that they have to leave the game for awhile, again drop out to avoid the afk

another whine I have heard allot is they have allot of toons and do not have the time to play the event/tfo with all their toons, but yet they seem to have all the time in the world to be able to do the event/tfo while going afk. so if you do not have the time to play the event with all your toons maybe you should think about either deleting some of them or just not queue them up.

I have been playing the game for over 2 years now and have 17 toons i play and have done every event during my time playing (not every toon of course as they take allot of time to cycle through that many) and have also played allot of tfo's and have never gotten an afk penalty because I actually participate in the tfo's, unfortunately there is way too many people that do go afk but are not penalise harsh enough to make them stop going afk imo.

Comments

• snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Maybe the gameplay should become less of a grind, make the game seem less like a full time job and people won't AFK in it constantly..

Instead of making up new punishments, maybe it's better to just fix the source.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User
    All MMOs involve grind. Also, I believe it is the attitude of the player that makes it be a grind and feel like a full-time job though the constant disconnects and SNRs do not help matters much at all when cycling through toons. I don't see what needs fixing, except for bugs as well as a change of attitude of the player community. As for the AFK thing and the amount of damage that needs to be done that should be stated in the directions of the TFOs themselves or somewhere in the TFO window. Cryptic should have added that in when that became a thing. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    And vote to kick most definitely should not be added. It will be, not can be, will be, abused.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    99% of my AFK is me filling out DOFF and Admiralty stuff while I wait for the missions Briefings on the TFO’s to be over and get to gameplay. Once that is all done then I do join the fight. The only TFOs I cannot really do this with is Crystalline Cataclysm

For most TFO’s this tends to be OK, as I tend to do somewhere between 15-20K DPS on average. But then again it takes me a few minutes to do the DOFF and Admiralty stuff first.

Right now It looks like the AFK detection is pretty simple. Basically looking for Shot One Enemy, Hit by One Enemy Target or Healed a target. This looks pretty reasonable until you realize that Some TFO’s require real teamwork.

I am sure if they look over data and use better analytics the might implement something like we expect this player to do 10% of total damage of the entire team. If a player drops or AFKs the big thing missions right now is the TFO needs to scale down so the remaining 4 can finish it.

• awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    arionisa wrote: »
    And vote to kick most definitely should not be added. It will be, not can be, will be, abused.

let me guess your one of the people that like to go afk and do not want to be vote kicked?

imo I do not think a vote to kick would be abused if it takes 4 votes for the 5th player to be kicked, the only people that should be fearfull or do not want a vote to kick option are the people that go afk.

99% of my AFK is me filling out DOFF and Admiralty stuff while I wait for the missions Briefings on the TFO’s to be over and get to gameplay. Once that is all done then I do join the fight. The only TFOs I cannot really do this with is Crystalline Cataclysm

For most TFO’s this tends to be OK, as I tend to do somewhere between 15-20K DPS on average. But then again it takes me a few minutes to do the DOFF and Admiralty stuff first.

Right now It looks like the AFK detection is pretty simple. Basically looking for Shot One Enemy, Hit by One Enemy Target or Healed a target. This looks pretty reasonable until you realize that Some TFO’s require real teamwork.

I am sure if they look over data and use better analytics the might implement something like we expect this player to do 10% of total damage of the entire team. If a player drops or AFKs the big thing missions right now is the TFO needs to scale down so the remaining 4 can finish it.

imo doff and admirality should be lock out while in a tfo since players have plenty of time to do it before entering a tfo.

I also do not think that being marked as afk should be based only on dps, since a heavy hitter can latterly do nothing for 90% of the match and then just go into the final part and get enough dps to not be marked afk. I think it should based on participation through the entire tfo as I said im my op, moving around and shooting not just flying in a straight line doing nothing. if a person is 200km's from the battle because all they did was start flying when the tfo starts then only does the last part of the tfo to get their dps how is that fair to the players that were involved doing their part in the entire tfo?

in allot of cases having an afk player also makes the tfo last longer that it needs to take since an afk player is not doing any damage to take out the enemies faster.

as for scaling down the tfo for the remaining 4 players why would they need to do that if a player is afk the entire tfo not doing their part right now the enemies stay the same.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    OP, you've not taken long loading into account, not everyone has a fast top of the line PC and/or internet connection
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
      OP, you don't take into consideration cannon boats or builds with frontal firepower. Sometimes, they just stop and sit in place, shooting everything in their cone dead. They are not moving at all, let alone fly around. And before they got into their good spot, there's a good chance they flew there in a straight line.

I'd rather have an afk in my team than a lot more false positives.
    • cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User

let me guess your one of the people that like to go afk and do not want to be vote kicked?

This is now an assumption that has no effect, you assume that if someone responds to your message that you do not like it, it is immediately a afk'r.

imo I do not think a vote to kick would be abused if it takes 4 votes for the 5th player to be kicked, the only people that should be fearfull or do not want a vote to kick option are the people that go afk.

It will be abused. An example: a team consists of five players and four of them are from the same fleet or armada and they have something against the fifth person, what do you think what will be used? Exactly, the abuse of the kick system. Another example with the same four people: now those four people want them to do this TFO alone without a fifth person, the same thing will happen as in the previous example.

I sometimes find myself with four people from the same fleet or armada in a TFO and working against me in such a way that I do as little damage as possible or destroy enemies so that I look as closely as possible to an AFK punishment, how does that single person then start defending themselves against those four because of a wrong kick or AFK punishment? There is no defense for it, so there is an abuse of the kick system.

I see this happening regularly in another online game that my godchild is playing.
      I fully agree with the fact that there is and must be an AFK punishment system, but do not allow a kick system to be introduced that is guaranteed to be abused. This is only going to cause that in time there will be almost no players who want to do a TFO and then it will be said on the forum that the TFOs are dead.

edited June 2019
      OP, you've not taken long loading into account, not everyone has a fast top of the line PC and/or internet connection

I am on the xbox one as i said in the first sentance so of course I did not take in to account a person having a slow pc, but having a slow pc or slow internet does not stop a person from actually doing something in a tfo.
      Post edited by awesomeweasel on
      edited June 2019
      cxeronockx wrote: »

This is now an assumption that has no effect, you assume that if someone responds to your message that you do not like it, it is immediately a afk'r.

It will be abused. An example: a team consists of five players and four of them are from the same fleet or armada and they have something against the fifth person, what do you think what will be used? Exactly, the abuse of the kick system. Another example with the same four people: now those four people want them to do this TFO alone without a fifth person, the same thing will happen as in the previous example.

I sometimes find myself with four people from the same fleet or armada in a TFO and working against me in such a way that I do as little damage as possible or destroy enemies so that I look as closely as possible to an AFK punishment, how does that single person then start defending themselves against those four because of a wrong kick or AFK punishment? There is no defense for it, so there is an abuse of the kick system.

I see this happening regularly in another online game that my godchild is playing.
      I fully agree with the fact that there is and must be an AFK punishment system, but do not allow a kick system to be introduced that is guaranteed to be abused. This is only going to cause that in time there will be almost no players who want to do a TFO and then it will be said on the forum that the TFOs are dead.

firstly everyone is entitled to their opinion wether they agree with me or not, I was was actually just asking guessing they were a person that likes going afk if you read my comment again.

I see your point and I agree that it may be abused in that way, but I think a vote to kick system should only apply once a tfo has been going to a few minutes and if a player has either not moved from the start location or is just flying straight away from the action and is like 100"km's from the battle that they should be able to be kicked.

also on some of the omega ground missions where communication/co-operation is very important and everyone has to be at a certain location to be able to continue, and if people die they are put outside of the battle room until either everyone has died or the room is completed. I was in allot of these tfo's where a person had either not moved from the start location and the rest of us could not even move forward because the player that was afk did not move to the location they needed to be at for us to move forward, or 4 of us had died and the 5th would not die for the rest of us to get back into the battle and just stood in a spot they were not being shot at. in those cases people just quit a vote to kick I very much needed because the only person that would not get any penalty is the last person to leave the tfo which is most likely the person causing the problems.
      guljarol wrote: »
      OP, you don't take into consideration cannon boats or builds with frontal firepower. Sometimes, they just stop and sit in place, shooting everything in their cone dead. They are not moving at all, let alone fly around. And before they got into their good spot, there's a good chance they flew there in a straight line.

I'd rather have an afk in my team than a lot more false positives.

I think you should re-read my op as I said "if a player is not moving or shooting" so if they are shooting the are doing one of the two thing I said. I was also said "flying in a straight line and going to the edge of the map" not moving in a straight line to go towards the battle. so if they are just sitting in the middle of the battle shooting they are doing something and helping out.
    • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,212 Arc User
      On PC atleast, most AFKers are from a certain channel, and only partner up with other AFKers. Most of the newer content is extremely unrewarding to play, or in the case of Starbase One, is actually easier to complete with no change in rewards by going afk. The rise of AFK has mostly been due to the design choices by cryptic. Its not that they make the game grindy, its that they don't actively reward participating. Look at Pahvo ground for example. If you participate it will go faster, and You'll earn about 20 extra marks. The problem is its ONLY 20 extra marks. You have to put in a lot of effort for extremely little bonus reward, so why bother? Just afk it for a slightly lower amount of marks.

They need to incentivize playing the game more, maybe offer a significant amount more marks for actively participating? I dunno.

On Console I don't know what the chat system is like there, but they probably never got an AFK chat channel so that's why you encounter random afkers. And the current afk detection system occasionally has false positives.
      Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
      edited June 2019
      you said: "flying in a straight line and going to the edge of the map". I think it's more of a sign of a connectivity issue than a deliberate AFK'ing. This is one of the most frustrating thing in a pug when you fly to the edge and can't turn/move effectively due to some kind of a partial connectivity issue which you realize (or which gets much worse) on the pug itself? or if you alternatively got stuck in the middle of the CCA just when it completes its charging process due to delay in reaction? (there are ofc other ways to have connectivity issues or otherwise freezing manifested, such as when your ship reacts in delay/jumps/not at all, or just "twitches". sometimes you actually see SNR with a timer, sometimes it doesn't clear even or the game (disconnect or) freezes totally.)

I played many CCA's recently on many chars, and I think many could see I do my best (even if my chars are not great and if I don't have great playing skills as a player). I even, if can spare a heal, able to act rapidly enough and out of cd, try to heal people so that they hopefully won't burst by the charge process.

to clarify, on the very majority of the times and on the very majority of the days I don't get an AFK ban. But I did have the very rare and very few false positives (those are indeed rare and I don't think I've got one recently) When I've got the AFK ban it typically happened when I had troubles to get back online/completes the login process in time when I did try to reconnect and only managed to rejoin too late.
      you said: "flying in a straight line and going to the edge of the map". I think it's more of a sign of a connectivity issue than a deliberate AFK'ing. This is one of the most frustrating thing in a pug when you fly to the edge and can't turn/move effectively due to some kind of a partial connectivity issue which you realize (or which gets much worse) on the pug itself? or if you alternatively got stuck in the middle of the CCA just when it completes its charging process due to delay in reaction? (there are ofc other ways to have connectivity issues or otherwise freezing manifested, such as when your ship reacts in delay/jumps/not at all, or just "twitches". sometimes you actually see SNR with a timer, sometimes it doesn't clear even or the game (disconnect or) freezes totally.)

I played many CCA's recently on many chars, and I think many could see I do my best (even if my chars are not great and if I don't have great playing skills as a player). I even, if can spare a heal, able to act rapidly enough and out of cd, try to heal people so that they hopefully won't burst by the charge process.

to clarify, on the very majority of the times and on the very majority of the days I don't get an AFK ban. But I did have the very rare and very few false positives (those are indeed rare and I don't think I've got one recently) When I've got the AFK ban it typically happened when I had troubles to get back online/completes the login process in time when I did try to reconnect and only managed to rejoin too late.

the "flying in a straight line and going to the edge of the map" was just an example of what some people on xbox one do to avoid an afk ban, but for afk people in the most recent event Operation Riposte! (Prior's World) they just don't bother moving from the start position until we have the fight the final battle which is about 15-20 minutes into the tfo and if there is no afk players it cuts down the tfo by at least 5-7 minutes, but even though they never did anything for 90% of the tfo they get the same reward as everyone that actually did something which is why I am saying they need a better afk detection system.

a disconnection issue would not give a person an afk ban since if your not connected obviously you would no be doing anything and the game would be able to detect that.

so if cryptic does not want have a better afk detection system and give players that go afk harsher penalties, maybe event rewards should be based on how much a person contributes to the event and not give event token to players that only contribute to the end of it and do not contribute threw the entire tfo since they did not earn it by contributing enough to it.
      westx211 wrote: »
      On PC atleast, most AFKers are from a certain channel, and only partner up with other AFKers. Most of the newer content is extremely unrewarding to play, or in the case of Starbase One, is actually easier to complete with no change in rewards by going afk. The rise of AFK has mostly been due to the design choices by cryptic. Its not that they make the game grindy, its that they don't actively reward participating. Look at Pahvo ground for example. If you participate it will go faster, and You'll earn about 20 extra marks. The problem is its ONLY 20 extra marks. You have to put in a lot of effort for extremely little bonus reward, so why bother? Just afk it for a slightly lower amount of marks.

They need to incentivize playing the game more, maybe offer a significant amount more marks for actively participating? I dunno.

On Console I don't know what the chat system is like there, but they probably never got an AFK chat channel so that's why you encounter random afkers. And the current afk detection system occasionally has false positives.

I agree the rewards should be better, but why should a person that is afk get the same rewards as the players that do all the work. I think that if a person just wants to go afk they should get zero rewards even if they are in the tfo the entire match. if they do nothing they should get nothing pretty simple solution imo.

my main concern is when it comes to event tfo's and people go afk to get the event token without having to do anything for it, whil the rest of the players actually earn it for them. which is complete bs imo.
    • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

Agreed. This game is just not complicated enough to merit a kick option. I've never noticed the issue the OP describes being so egregious that the games overachievers can't simply let that once in a while troll slide? Sometimes the interface is dodgy and right in the middle of throwing down my own damage I've been booted out of the instance?

Agreed. This game is just not complicated enough to merit a kick option. I've never noticed the issue the OP describes being so egregious that the games overachievers can't simply let that once in a while troll slide? Sometimes the interface is dodgy and right in the middle of throwing down my own damage I've been booted out of the instance?

im not sure what platform you play on, but on the xbox one I do not see players going afk once in awhile, it happen very often like every other tfo specially when an event is going on. the players want to event token but do not want to earn it for them self they want the other players to earn it for them so they do not even move from the stop location until the final part of the tfo.
      the once in awhile ocourance is when there is 2 afk players in a tfo at once.
    • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
      edited September 2019
      sthe91 wrote: »
      All MMOs involve grind. Also, I believe it is the attitude of the player that makes it be a grind and feel like a full-time job though the constant disconnects and SNRs do not help matters much at all when cycling through toons. I don't see what needs fixing, except for bugs as well as a change of attitude of the player community. As for the AFK thing and the amount of damage that needs to be done that should be stated in the directions of the TFOs themselves or somewhere in the TFO window. Cryptic should have added that in when that became a thing. Thanks. :)

I agree with most of what your saying here. Tho my ISP problems have been solved so I myself now rarely get disconnected I feel for others out there still suffering server disconnects due to internet/location issues or simply because they do not have good ISP service available to them. For those that aren't getting my meaning such as the OP I will clarify: NO ONE!, and I mean absolutely no one should be punished for something that is out of their control or is unavoidable for health reasons (the washroom break issue) or otherwise. Assuming someone is AFK just because their character doesn't seem to move for a few minutes Especially right following a map change (this is when my server disconnects used to happen most) is wrong no matter how you try to slice it! Next time this happens to anyone Please try Asking the player what happened instead of just assuming you know the reason.
      Thankfully for me sever disconnects are now mostly a thing of the past (turns out my problem was caused by squirrels chewing through my line out here on the island where I live) however the one thing I can assume is that many others out there still are plagued by disconnects caused by whatever reason that are for the most part out of your control. And you shouldn't get punished or banned because of this..........

Thank you!, my point exactly. One thing I notice not just with STO but in many of the games I play is player impatience especially when running TFO's or any type of 'instance' in general. Take some time and enjoy the game a lil bit. Taking time may also make you realize not everything is as it appears to be.

Now don't get me wrong there are players out there who do intentionally go AFK out of stupidity, greed, or whatever. I'm just saying here that nobody should be punished or banned because of the mindset/actions of a few misguided individuals. Leave punishment/banning in the hands of the Mods at Cryptic. I'm sure they have a better position for judging who is AFK than we players do.

Lastly, I apologize for the rant. It's just this is a touchy subject for me. I've been playing STO since release and for months a while back I was plagued by server disconnects during map changes, etc., and sometimes if I was just at New Romulus (I mostly play Romulans) or ESD, or Qu'onos hanging out talking to friends. I know part of my heart would fall away if I were to get banned from STO because of something that was beyond my control or ability to pay for, such as in good ISP service. Star Trek in general in it's many forms has been a large part of my life since I was a lil girl watching old OS reruns (it was this that got me hooked, Then Next Generation followed and the rest is history, lol). To have even a part of it just taken away would be heartbreaking to say the least.
      My problem became extremely frustrating because for those months neither I (and I am IT certified) nor my ISP could find out what was causing the issue because it seemed to be only happening on STO and only once in a while on other games but never as prevalent or as often as it was here (and STO is the main game I play a long with three others) So I'm here usually every day for a while at least.
      After running several subsequent trace route's and discussing my issue with several very knowledgeable, and helpful idividuals here on/in another area of this very forum (Y'all know who you are!! :), I finally noticed a correlation between what was happening and bad weather. It was then I had my ISP send somebody out to check my line wherein the squirrel damage was found a long with some sort of filter that was left in my line that hadn't been used by ISP's for years that was only amplifying the squirrel damage.

I thank y'all for listening. Have a lovely day! See you in game!! :smile:

Post edited by trekkiejedigirl#9564 on
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      This is an FCT topic.

Vote to kick is never going to happen. Cryptic has already shown many times in the past they will not take a chance with reducing/interrupting their income stream.

As to the penalties the OP suggests for AFK, I have a question: Why stop there?

Why not perma ban the IP address of the AFKer in question?

To get so worked up over one aspect of a not-very-good video game may not be mentally healthy. I dislike AFK as much as any player. But however unpleasant and irritating it is, it is not something like preying on children or selling drugs or robbing banks or any one of a whole number of things which can actually destroy the life of another human being.

Take a break from the game, OP. Go outside and play some ball. Work on your car. Mow the grass. Hang with your friends at Starbucks. Something which puts everything back into the correct frame and perspective

@baddmoonrizin
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
      Necro /Thread
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    This discussion has been closed.