test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Command the Discovery Era Enterprise and D7!

Comments

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    To be honest, if the Discovery Enterprise was a C-Store ship, it would have been the icing on the Free T6 Ship Token event, if not the cherry on top.

Alas, that is not to be.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    > @captaincelestial said:
    > To be honest, if the Discovery Enterprise was a C-Store ship, it would have been the icing on the Free T6 Ship Token event, if not the cherry on top.
    >
    > Alas, that is not to be.

That was never an option since the free token is only usable for ships that were in the store when it was announced. You cannot "save" the token as newer ships are not part of the deal.

Edit: I was corrected. While they said "new" ships are excluded, they simply meant ships during their introduction time. Those "new" ships turn old at some point and can then be bought via the token.
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    tousseau wrote: »
    gav1979 wrote: »
    I can't begin to explain how angry I am with this news today.
    You... you actually thought they might end up in the c-store? EL OH EL!

I know I felt dumb after posting, should have known better
    No... Don't feel dumb at all. People have been asking for a T6 Connie for years.
    Virtually, every other "Hero Ship" is available as a T6 offering in the Zen Store... However the Queen Mother of vessels continues to elude us... It seems that if it has had the misfortune to have had the name of "Enterprise" attached to it, it has been locked behind the infernal gates of RNGehenna.

This time around I, too, was also hoping that the dev's would throw us a bone and finally give us a Zen option to get our grubby hands on a T6 Connie... But, alas, it was apparently not meant to be.

Well, they don't want people to get to attached to the Crossfield, their latest hero ship either.

Both are either R&D'd or lock boxed like the JJverse T6 Constitution and Discoverse Crossfield.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > To be honest, if the Discovery Enterprise was a C-Store ship, it would have been the icing on the Free T6 Ship Token event, if not the cherry on top.
    >

That was never an option since the free token is only usable for ships that were in the store when it was announced. You cannot "save" the token as newer ships are not part of the deal.

Hey, that's just perfect!

I've bought all the C-Store ships already.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    >

Actually, that's not true. It was already stated at the time that the token could be saved, and that over time, new release ships would drop off the "black list" and be made available to be acquired with the token.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited June 2019
    >

Actually, that's not true. It was already stated at the time that the token could be saved, and that over time, new release ships would drop off the "black list" and be made available to be acquired with the token.

Thank you, baddmoonrizin, that makes the free ship token worth what went into earning it in the first place :smiley:
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Is this fact or implied? I don't remember seeing any kind of restriction on what kind of ship we could get for free in the blog. In fact, it says in the blog that the token "will allow you claim a free Tier 6 Starship of your choice from the Zen Store."

Now, I get they will likely exclude newer ships for a time from being able to be claimed for free but eventually add them in. The only reason I bring this up is because I know someone who already owns every T6 CStore ship in the game and will likely be very ticked off when a new T6 CStore ship is released and they are unable to get it.

Edit-

Yeah, that's what I get for not reading past a post that catches my attention. Seems others are saying what I figured about newer ships eventually being allowed, but it's still nice to see I'm not the only person wondering about this.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I get for not reading past a post that catches my attention. Seems others are saying what I figured about newer ships eventually being allowed, but it's still nice to see I'm not the only person wondering about this.
    We got a nicely detailed explanation when they discussed it in the livestream. Anything marked as "new" is off the list of options. But only while "new".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > We got a nicely detailed explanation when they discussed it in the livestream. Anything marked as "new" is off the list of options. But only while "new".

Ah, I misunderstood then. But it's also weirdly worded, in my weak defense 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @iamynaught said:
    >
    >
    > Is this fact or implied? (...)

See my other posting. In the livestream, it was said "new" ships are excluded, but this didn't mean what I thought it meant. They coumd have said "ships during their introduction period" or something like this.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, I have to wait for the next next C-Store Ship to be able to claim the next C-Store ship. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Called this train wreck when the Discovery Constitution was announced. Kind of sad that Discovery is the only main Star Trek "era" (I don't count JJverse as main era and from the look of mission count, neither does Cryptic). But two variants of the Crossfield, the Constitution, and the "D7" all gamble box ships. Cash grab Cryptic, cash grab. Zen store would have provided income without the rage.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    How do I get off this ride? This is EXACTLY how corporations get made out to be so damn evil in this country. As someone who has played this game since day 1, this is a bridge too far. Its the obvious lack of respect for fans that make a game like this possible that I cant get over. Make a space game, have all the mechanics you like that are in this game, but taking a beloved franchise and dangling the ship that started it all in a blatant attempt to make money KNOWING that there will be a backlash, KNOWING that you are abusing not only your customers, but the people that bought into Gene Rodenberry's dream of a better future. Those of you that allowed this to happen, are the NOT what Star Trek is about. Literally a show about people being the best version of themselves they can be, and this corporate trash heap literally said, "Meh, we don't care about the fans vs our profit". Not one more dime, not one more second playing this game. The only way to teach a business the error of its ways is to stop buying the product. Hit them in the pocket book. I had some good times playing this game, and honestly its hard to say good bye. I've used it for years to connect with friends in California since I am on the East Coast. I will find another way. What I wont do is allow a corporation to use a beloved icon to extort money from me on a "maybe you will win, but no guarantee." Exchange? The economy is so broken its not even funny. Not everyone has the time to grind the credits, or the hundreds of dollars to buy keys that are steadily losing value on the exchange. Im not even mad, its just..........sad.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. That said, in the end, this is just a game. There's nothing 'Evil' going on here. Some tof the hyperbole here is just over the top.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    My only complaint is that I wish the new Phasers were available through another method.

I couldn't care less about an ugly Constitution Class, I just want the Phasers.
    Just the visuals would likely be enough. Limiting it to just one character that has the ship is a bit too restricted for a new weapon type.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Existing faction ships being put into gamble boxes feels like BS to me. It always has. Mirror Universe versions, sure, I get that. Anything else should be in the c-store. Iconic existing faction ship classes should never ever be in a gambling box. The D7 was THE backbone of the KDF for years, they probably had hundreds if not thousands of them. There were also multiple Constitution class cruisers made by Starfleet. These are not rare unique ships.

I can't say I'm surprised but I am disappointed they did this. I'm not surprised by the overt power creep either really. I'd have been perfectly fine with a 4/4 T6 Connie and a 5/3 D7 Battlecruiser with one or no hanger bays and middle of the road stats if they were a c-store bundle. I would have gotten that in a heartbeat. I'm definitely not gonna pay real money for this nonsense though.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

No... Don't feel dumb at all. People have been asking for a T6 Connie for years.
    Virtually, every other "Hero Ship" is available as a T6 offering in the Zen Store... However the Queen Mother of vessels continues to elude us... It seems that if it has had the misfortune to have had the name of "Enterprise" attached to it, it has been locked behind the infernal gates of RNGehenna.

This time around I, too, was also hoping that the dev's would throw us a bone and finally give us a Zen option to get our grubby hands on a T6 Connie... But, alas, it was apparently not meant to be.
    I mean, of course it's always been the most requested T6 version of all the hero ships -the other hero ships already got their Tier 6 versions, people asking for them would be silly!

I think the thing that makes it so "excusable" to put in some kind of lockbox or Promo box is that in-universe, it's a really old ship and extremely unlikely to still be used or retrofit for the 25th century.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    asking for them would be silly!
    >
    > I think the thing that makes it so "excusable" to put in some kind of lockbox or Promo box is that in-universe, it's a really old ship and extremely unlikely to still be used or retrofit for the 25th century.

Ironically, the blog for these ships says they are actually NEW ships based on the old design. That is the IN universe explaination.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > Ironically, the blog for these ships says they are actually NEW ships based on the old design. That is the IN universe explaination.
    >

Which I personally think is a awful way to handle this. Sure, Cryptic couldn't have forseen that we would only get prequels and post-Nemesis content would wait a long time to get officially continued, but they shoukd just go with "retrofits" or no in-universe explanation at all. "Look we found old ships and their designs, which we forgot about, are way better than everything we build in the 25th century! Lets build old ships again!". Meh.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2019
    It seems that if it has had the misfortune to have had the name of "Enterprise" attached to it, it has been locked behind the infernal gates of RNGehenna.
    Ambassador, Galaxy, Sovereign and their respective T6 versions all in the cash shop... and the NX in lobi. Each of these had an Enterprise in their lineup

edit:
    Excelsior too now that I think about it
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    at least this cured me of spending any more money to this game...so thanks
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > Ironically, the blog for these ships says they are actually NEW ships based on the old design. That is the IN universe explaination.
    >

Which I personally think is a awful way to handle this. Sure, Cryptic couldn't have forseen that we would only get prequels and post-Nemesis content would wait a long time to get officially continued, but they shoukd just go with "retrofits" or no in-universe explanation at all. "Look we found old ships and their designs, which we forgot about, are way better than everything we build in the 25th century! Lets build old ships again!". Meh.

As I understand it the in-universe explanation goes like this: Yard 39 lays down the superstructure of a new Constitution class to the DSC design -> Baryon Radiation storm occurs -> 200 years later, modern Starfleet engineers find the space frame and decide to experiment with it putting in the latest technology and taking advantage of the miniaturization that has occured over the last 200 years -> Surprised by the effectiveness of what they have just created, they submit the new blueprints to the SFCE for further proiduction -> Miracle Worker Flight Deck Cruiser.

So, it's not that the discovered 23rd century tech is better in this case, but that they wanted to see what could be done with an over-sized Connie frame and 25th century technology.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So they create a really effective Starship and decide to hold back on its production because....?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I'd prefer if Cryptic could treat special things like FF14 does. They do an event for X item and then a year or so later, that item shows up in their store. Best of both worlds. Cryptic gets their hype and, supposedly big bucks, and then later all the unlucky schlubs get to buy it when the hype has gone away. This would give Cryptic 2 paydays on one item.

Now I have no data on how much older R&D ships get chosen from boxes months/years later, but I'd think popping them in the C-store for a bit more than the normal T6 ship might get them more money. Especially since so many players have been burned by the RNG boxes that they don't do them anymore.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    It seems that if it has had the misfortune to have had the name of "Enterprise" attached to it, it has been locked behind the infernal gates of RNGehenna.
    Ambassador, Galaxy, Sovereign and their respective T6 versions all in the cash shop... and the NX in lobi. Each of these had an Enterprise in their lineup

edit:

To be honest, most of those ships were in the game before loot boxes were. Who knows where the Galaxy or Sovereign would have been if loot boxes were here at launch.
  • salvation4salvation4 Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User

Uh we did get the T6 sovereign class..That class also bore the name Enterprise..So its only the connie thats eluded everyone mostly..
    Adrian-Uss Sovereign NCC-73811 (LVL 65 FED ENG) UR/E MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (April 2012) (Main)
    Adu-Uss Firefox NCC-93425-F (LVL 65 FED AoY ENG) UR/VR MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (July 2016)
    Jean-Uss Seratoga Ravenna (LVL 60 FED Delta ENG) UC/R MKVI Bajoran Escort (April 2018)
    Dubsa-RRW Mnaudh (LVL 50 FED allied ROM Delta ENG) Warbird (May 2018)
    Marop-IKS Orunthi (LVL 50 KNG Delta ENG) BoP (May 2018)
    Kanak'lan-TRIBBLE (LVL 65 DOM Gamma ENG) TRIBBLE (June 2018)
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to include the DSC Constitution bridge (interior) either.
    A pity considering how much the ship can cost.

This release is just full of disappointment, isn't it?
    duasyn wrote: »

edit:

To be honest, most of those ships were in the game before loot boxes were. Who knows where the Galaxy or Sovereign would have been if loot boxes were here at launch.

There probably wouldn't even be free rank progression versions of them...
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • salvation4salvation4 Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »

edit:

I would have sold my organs to get the SOV..Thankfully it didn't go the connie route..
    Adrian-Uss Sovereign NCC-73811 (LVL 65 FED ENG) UR/E MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (April 2012) (Main)
    Adu-Uss Firefox NCC-93425-F (LVL 65 FED AoY ENG) UR/VR MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (July 2016)
    Jean-Uss Seratoga Ravenna (LVL 60 FED Delta ENG) UC/R MKVI Bajoran Escort (April 2018)
    Dubsa-RRW Mnaudh (LVL 50 FED allied ROM Delta ENG) Warbird (May 2018)
    Marop-IKS Orunthi (LVL 50 KNG Delta ENG) BoP (May 2018)
    Kanak'lan-TRIBBLE (LVL 65 DOM Gamma ENG) TRIBBLE (June 2018)
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Not massively surprised that it's a lockbox type prize... disappointed. But not completely surprised. At the end of the day, this is how a F2P game has to work in order to survive - and I would suspect that CBS had a hand in the decision as well. Hero ships tend to be hard to find. That's ok. Maybe they should be, other wise what's the point in having any other class of ship?

It's nice that it's not going to be the most common ship in the game. I can't justify (personally) spending what I did to get the Crossfield, but I don't begrudge anyone doing that. Life, as always, is about choice. I chose to buy 151 lockbox keys to get a Crossfield. No one forced me. I don't regret it, I still use and love the ship. I see it as my big money contribution to the continuation of STO - and I wouldn't have it any other way B)

Both the DSC Constitution and D7 are beautiful, and plenty of people are going to have these ships in game. I will see them. Maybe we'll get a mission with them and get to interact with them :)

People really do need to calm down about it. As much as many of us (myself included) hoped that these would be C-Store ships, the chances of that were always going to be small. If STO was a sub-only based game, things might be different. But it isn't. I don't know why people have to get so threatening and narly about all this. Sheesh - STO is a GAME - and a free one as well. If you want the awesome stuff, you have to pay. This isn't a new thing. It's been like this for a while.

In terms of the Free T6 Ship Voucher - people need to pay attention. There is a lot of accurate information being posted about how to use them, what (if any restrictions there will be) and the fact that they don't have to be used immediately and can be saved for future use.

Basically people; grow up.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Everyone has their opinion, but I really don't understand the rage here.
    Cryptic can make a lot more money this way.

More money is better than less money.
    The money pays the salaries of the developers, leading to more development of the game, more content, more ship releases.

More game development is better than less game development.

Want more game? Allow them to make more revenue using loot boxes (which you can safely ignore if you so desire) or insist they abolish their free to play model. And return to subscription only.
    I for one would rather allow them the revenue to continue to allow me to play for free.

Want less game? Keep calling for the abolishment of a guaranteed revenue stream, calling them "cash grabs" (as if that's a bad thing, again, they MUST MAKE CASH if you want to continue to play) and settle in for content droughts.
    I know there may be other ways to increase revenue, but it would definitely be harder. I for one would rather avoid going back to content droughts.

C- store would be nice, sure. But calling for cutting off a major revenue source, which would hurt the development of the game you seem to care so much about, is not the answer.

It's really not that complicated.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
This discussion has been closed.