test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Violence? What is it good for?

sergiorozshenkosergiorozshenko Member Posts: 8 Arc User
At the risk of being flamed & shamed, and at the risk of seeming unreasonable or too sentimental I ask this.

Is there any way STO can start making less violent game play? I want more active diplomatic and exploration in game, not this proxy diplomacy.
The real world is violent enough, this shooting things up for capital gains is banal. How can STO continue to have a violent game play with all the mass shootings going on? Not saying one effects the other, but I want something more mentally stimulating.
There has to be a better way to explore the Star Trek Universe than shooting our way through a story line. I'm getting sick of it, actually I've been sick of it, but I keep coming back probably because of sunk cost fallacy. I'm no longer going to invest real money until something changes.

I've been playing since the game became "Free to play" I guess 6 years or so. I've been concerned about this for that long.

Thanks,

Seth
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    It's a game so no one actually gets hurt, so no need to worry about it
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
      STO is set in a time of conflict. The game starts during a war between the Federation and the Empire.

Honestly... I'd have more of an issue with Payday 2 than STO.
      There was a whole thing on Steam about some indie game that glorified mass shootings. That game got taken down REAL fast.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      STO is set in a time of conflict. The game starts during a war between the Federation and the Empire.

Honestly... I'd have more of an issue with Payday 2 than STO.
      There was a whole thing on Steam about some indie game that glorified mass shootings. That game got taken down REAL fast.

I play Payday 2, tbh, the monitor is that divide between the game world and real world. It's a case of knowing the difference, valid point about STO
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
        edited June 2019
        STO is an action-oriented game. The players want to fly around in their spaceships going pew pew pew. The episodes with more talking like Sunrise get complaints instead of kudos so Cryptic is giving the paying customers what they want.

Also, see every Star Trek TV show. Star Trek: Diplomats isn't in the list, and every show had phasers blazing now and then.

If you want a non-violent space game, you'll need to look elsewhere. No Man's Sky maybe?

Or this? - https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_25th_anniversary

• slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
        > @sergiorozshenko said:
        > At the risk of being flamed & shamed, and at the risk of seeming unreasonable or too sentimental I ask this.
        >
        > Is there any way STO can start making less violent game play? I want more active diplomatic and exploration in game, not this proxy diplomacy.
        > The real world is violent enough, this shooting things up for capital gains is banal. How can STO continue to have a violent game play with all the mass shootings going on? Not saying one effects the other, but I want something more mentally stimulating.
        > There has to be a better way to explore the Star Trek Universe than shooting our way through a story line. I'm getting sick of it, actually I've been sick of it, but I keep coming back probably because of sunk cost fallacy. I'm no longer going to invest real money until something changes.
        >
        > I've been playing since the game became "Free to play" I guess 6 years or so. I've been concerned about this for that long.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Seth

Are you serious or is this troll bait? Nobody is forcing you to play. You can’t go through life without engaging in some level of violence. Even if your vegan, you still need to kill something to eat. Want something more stimulating? Go explore a cave.
      • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
        Not everywhere is plagued by mass shootings.

If you personally are, then pick up another game. The video game industry is immense.
        22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
        Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
        JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
        'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
        'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
        '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
        'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
        '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
        Violence? What is it good for?

Getting XP and loot? ;)

In the end, this is an MMO. Even in single player games with linear storylines & causality, it's hard to have lots of conversation & diplomacy. In an MMO, it's even harder. Also in any game that's attempting to be Big Market rather than niche/indie/art-project.

Also, see every Star Trek TV show. Star Trek: Diplomats isn't in the list, and every show had phasers blazing now and then.

With "now and then" increasing since TNG, varying by series & season.
      • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
        Kirk once ended an interplanetary war by shooting a computer.

He freed an enslaved people by shooting another computer, and freed another enslaved people by convincing their computer to blow itself up.

How did he deal with the discovery of the Romulan cloak? Or the attacking Orion ship in "Journey To Babel"? Or the Klingons on Organia, before the Organians tired of their little game? Or Gary Mitchell? Or, heck, the asteroid trapped in their wormhole-wake in TMP?

You act as if "pew pew" were something not endemic to the franchise from the beginning.
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
        I would kill for some exploration!... ohh, wait!
        The forces of darkness are upon us!
      • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
        I miss the first contact missions and scanning exploration missions.

There are a number of puzzley missions. I'm not entirely sure I would ask to see more of those.

hmm, Risa is peaceful enough.

ermmm give the op a break - it's a reasonable comment.
        Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited June 2019
        ermmm give the op a break - it's a reasonable comment.

No one has attacked the OP, we've just pointed out:
        - pew pew has been a part of every Trek series
        - pew pew is what the majority of paying customers will pay to play
        - it's an MMO which means repeating content, and pew pew is more repeatable than diplomacy
      • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
        The games should be primarily about violent situations, TV series primarily about diplomatic solutions. It's much easier to make it work that way.
        tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
      • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        it's a reasonable comment.
        I disagree. This is an MMORPG, and you will have a very hard time finding some that don't involve violence.

There are other games that are more suited for non-violent content. Puzzle games. Some adventure games (though many will still contain some form of violence, it's hard to create a sense of adventure if there isn't some danger in it, and that usually implies violence, though it might not be perpetrated by the character.)
        Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • uiabuiab Member Posts: 23 Arc User
        stick to doffing, admiralty. Visit some nebulas, do some tour of the galaxy. Do winter event, summer event. Anniversary and first contact.
        After the tutorial, where you need to defend yourself, no need for violence.
      • pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
        I don't think Trek has been based on war. It's about establishing ideas which are our dreams of the future. That involves everything about our lives including war. But it is not about war. It is about our species.

That being said, I have seen STO try to do more diplomatic missions/story arcs and they were....well....boring.

TNG is the most diplomatic of all the series I can think of atm. And even in that show somebody got shot at, at least once in every episode.

I don't really know what to do about diplomacy in the game either so I can't suggest a better alternative atm. But I can say I've seen them try to go this direction and had to go back for good reasons.
      • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
        Peace through superior firepower!
        2gdi5w4mrudm.png
        Typhoon Class please!
      • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
        This makes me think of the outrage back in the early 90's over the violence in Mortal Kombat and Doom. Nintendo went with no blood for their SNES Mortal Kombat port and Sega had a code you had to enter to unlock blood. :p
      • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
        Is there any way STO can start making less violent game play?

I feel more angst about SWTOR when my Jedi has a quota of folks or machines to destroy (even though these are optional)... and then pick-pockets the dead for their wallets (need the $$$ for travel cost). STO's imaginary reason for constant conflict is far less disturbing... though we all rob the dead... but not like those walking corpse in Delta Quad.
      • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
        The real world is really quite safe, at least in the west. You're more likely to get killed by lightning than die in a mass shooting, most years. Stop thinking the media is giving you an accurate representation of the world, it isn't. It is very skewed, often by people who have no clue about the actual subject, and they usually slant it towards a political end. There is actually a thing called Mean World Syndrome where people can get a skewed vision of the world because they pay too much attention to the media.

Now, sure I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a more diplomatic and problem solving STO, but how do you do that and have fun and engaging, and repeatable gameplay? Really, if Cryptic had an idea of how to do that, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

For example, could there be an STF where we fight off an asteroid storm to save a planet? How would that work and stay fun to fight rocks?
      • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
        edited June 2019
        OP has a good point. There is something wrong with people if they have to derive their pleasure from the idea of shooting or killing things.

It may be better to do it virtually than, say, hunting foxes (you can ask The Doctor if you are not convinced about that ;) ) but apparently there is still that need to satisfy a certain bloodthirst. If you can still call it that.

Given though, that something is obviously wrong with people / humans, perhaps it is still better then that they are spending time in the game, shooting things or not. It means there is less interaction between them in so-called real life *, and hence less violence there ;)

* I am still having my doubts about whether such a thing actually exists

Edited for grammar and clarification
        [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
      • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
        The real world is really quite safe, at least in the west. You're more likely to get killed by lightning than die in a mass shooting, most years. Stop thinking the media is giving you an accurate representation of the world, it isn't. It is very skewed, often by people who have no clue about the actual subject, and they usually slant it towards a political end. There is actually a thing called Mean World Syndrome where people can get a skewed vision of the world because they pay too much attention to the media.

Now, sure I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a more diplomatic and problem solving STO, but how do you do that and have fun and engaging, and repeatable gameplay? Really, if Cryptic had an idea of how to do that, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

For example, could there be an STF where we fight off an asteroid storm to save a planet? How would that work and stay fun to fight rocks?

That entirely depends on the sound effects. There is an ASMR video of falling rocks that is pure eargasm. Spending hours with that won't be a problem, though we might see a huge spike in AFK penalties when everyone is dozing off :)
        [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
      • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
        There was one mission in Star Trek Legacy where Picard first took command of the Stargazer, and had to lead a Starfleet taskforce in dealing with asteroids created by T'urell that were threatening inhabited worlds. Maybe for a story mission something like it can work in STO, but not for a STF.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
        edited June 2019
        rattler2 wrote: »
        There was one mission in Star Trek Legacy where Picard first took command of the Stargazer, and had to lead a Starfleet taskforce in dealing with asteroids created by T'urell that were threatening inhabited worlds. Maybe for a story mission something like it can work in STO, but not for a STF.

Night of the Comet kind of did that already, though sadly without an appearance by Catherine Mary Stewart or her long since forgotten male co-star.
      • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
        People always complain if they have to hit the F key more then once
        GwaoHAD.png
      • davidjamesearl#7201 davidjamesearl Member Posts: 18 Arc User
        Violence is not evil, it is the result of evil. Violence is a tool. I'm a pacifist who has never raised his hand in anger against another person (as an adult lol). I'm also an owner of MANY firearms and an avid shooter. If I ever see a fellow citizen, not just a loved one, in danger of life-threatening violence, I will use my own violence as a TOOL to defend that person, who is precious (yes, I used that word) to me as a fellow human. I will defend them no matter what their race, creed, religion, orientation, etc. I think Star Trek Online plays this mentality out very well. The mission "Midnight" is an awesome example of this...….violence is sometimes necessary, but mercy and compassion should ALWAYS be given a chance to prevail. This mission gives me goosebumps man. Not even kidding.

• davidjamesearl#7201 davidjamesearl Member Posts: 18 Arc User
        Also, the only thing in the STO I object to is the human-trafficking doff missions in the KDF. Can't do it man, CAN'T DO IT! LOL
      • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 51 Arc User
        "We come in peace; shoot to kill"
      • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
        I got these Epic Mk XV weapons for good reasons :)
        XzRTofz.gif
      This discussion has been closed.