test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Only two years in-game??!! That can't be, I've helped kill the Crystalline Entity hundreds of times, helped save Starbase 234 hundreds of times, killed thousands of Borg on Defera, cleared Kobali Prime of Vaadwaur hundreds of times.....

Got promoted from Cadet to Fleet Admiral, earned the undying respect from twelve different Reputation groups, became a Master Crafter in ten different Schools, became a Diplomat.....

Nah, it has to be more than two years!! ;)

Relativity is a TRIBBLE, ain't it? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Considering he already took back the whole "change the face of the game" -quote and admitted it's just some backstory, I wonder the same. It was just an exaggeration, nothing's gonna come out of it.

By the time something gets released, I expect only people who even remember the whole line will be the posters of the obligatory "I'm disappointed" -threads, who will complain nothing changed.
    "Change the face of the game" sets expectations that... what is coming will change the face of the game. If it's a bloodless Iconian War 2.0, then I can see where disappointment may set in. "Change the face of the game" is a big expectation. Like "it's a new faction" sets an expectation.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And I'll have an obligatory facedesk at those threads.
    Should posters just ignore Geko then? Never have any expectations based on communication from Cryptic?

Let's just assume everything that Cryptic puts out is automatically going to be terrible. Then, we have no expectations and cannot be disappointed. Problem solved.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You totally misinterpreted what was said. The first part was about wasting time on a vague partially taken back Tweet from Geko. Better to wait until something more concrete from him at STLV.

The 'facedesk' comment was directed to the inevitable creation of Threads after the STLV announcement relates to the backstory and NOT the workings of the game itself from people that only remember the original 'face of the game' and not the corrected backstory angle.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    redvenge wrote: »
    Should posters just ignore Geko then? Never have any expectations based on communication from Cryptic?

Let's just assume everything that Cryptic puts out is automatically going to be terrible. Then, we have no expectations and cannot be disappointed. Problem solved.

No... the post you quoted was how I would react to how others would react. Not directed at Cryptic whatsoever.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2019
    ^^^
    That's probably the best option. The man has been throwing STO EP's under the bus since the days of denial Stahl when he claimed in a STOked interview that Dan didn't know as much as he did when it came to the state of STO and that the new (at that time) Klingon First City wouldn't make it into the upcoming Season patch even though Daniel Stahl had publicly said it would a day earlier (and the STO forums erupted NEGATIVELY as a result of said comments...

But guess what - Al Rivera was of course wrong (and not the first time of the last time this has happened where he's incorrectly contradicted an STO EP's public statement) in his assessment and the revamped Klingon First City DID make it in just fine to said Season patch.
    ^^^
    Again the above is just on of many existing examples.

If there's one thing you can count on in any Al Rivera interview, it;'s that he'll usually find a way to stick his foot in his mouth. There's a reason he's one of the Devs who's been with Cryptic the longest; yet has never been promoted to EP of STO. Even though you can tell he often THINKS he is.

Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    Considering he already took back the whole "change the face of the game" -quote and admitted it's just some backstory, I wonder the same. It was just an exaggeration, nothing's gonna come out of it.

By the time something gets released, I expect only people who even remember the whole line will be the posters of the obligatory "I'm disappointed" -threads, who will complain nothing changed.
    "Change the face of the game" sets expectations that... what is coming will change the face of the game. If it's a bloodless Iconian War 2.0, then I can see where disappointment may set in. "Change the face of the game" is a big expectation. Like "it's a new faction" sets an expectation.

When they themselves admit that a particular statement was exaggerated or misunderstood, yes. "Change the face of the game" is indeed a big expectation. Which is likely why he clarified that he was only talking about story/backstory and the gameplay will not change.

My expectation, based on that clarification, is that it's going to be just some minor lore retcons (probably in response to the new Trek shows) and won't actually change anything I would call "the face of the game."
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    But story is much much much more important than gameplay and makes the biggest difference.

I would argue that alteration to the story is changing the face of the game depending on how extensive the changes are.

Gameplay changes are not really that to me. They're just tweaks and not important, gameplay should serve the story. Story is the most important thing for a game.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Well, one of the most often heard complaints is that content gets more boring after having played it multiple times. So perhaps it is something that finally allows us to change the outcome of the story based on the options we choose in dialogue and so on?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • hesuspino72#6173 hesuspino72 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    just fyi if not said all ready, he said that exploration system is no go. sure in future... maybe... but not now.
    just fyi if not said all ready, he said that exploration system is no go. sure in future... maybe... but not now.

I'm sure it's on the list of things to do...right after:

"Update and expand on the STO Web Gateway..."

and

"Finish the Foundry..."

(and yes, just in case, the above is indeed sarcasm as I know the status of both the above) ;)
    edited June 2019
    "BWAAAAH! You said the word 'Disneyland' last week and I thought you meant you were gonna take me even though you said you were talking about something else, so now you have to take me to Disneyland or I'm gonna cry!"

Or we could, you know, be grown-ups about it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    "BWAAAAH! You said the word 'Disneyland' last week and I thought you meant you were gonna take me even though you said you were talking about something else, so now you have to take me to Disneyland or I'm gonna cry!"

Or we could, you know, be grown-ups about it.
    Nah, more fun to kick and scream and demand the impossible.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    The story Arc will have us exploring the Quadrants to find a Debigulator to reduce the Discovery Constitution (better known as The Miracle Worker Flight Deck Crusier) to the size of the TOS Constitution (better known as The Temporal Light Crusier). :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    ^^ @sirsitsalot -- I think that's basically a great idea to generate ship interior revenue and open up a new angle of gameplay without too much work. Just have ship interiors give you randomized away team missions, and you can invite teams to your ship, walk to the transporter room & beam down to a randomized dungeon/planet, pew pew boom boom, get XP & dil. It feels more Trekkie and ground is underutilized, and maybe addressing the improvement of ground is what Al Rivera is talking about. Alternatively, albeit on a related note, recasting the tac, sci, and eng factions to make team cooperation more necessary would also address the long-standing player wish to simulate the diverse crew roles in Trek more (i.e. make sci scans and engi repairs absolutely necessary to beat a PvE boss, so tac dps isn't the only thing that matters).

My best guess is the big change will be Picard & faction related. I think the new show's plot will have the majority of Romulan refugees integrate with the Klingon Empire, rather than the Federation. Perhaps, therefore, they will combine the KDF with the Romulan Republic and maybe the Dominion, and probably combine all the Fed timeline factions on the other side, in order to return STO to a simpler Fed vs Aliens form, thereby being less confusing to new players/fans of Disco, and also liberating writers to give the alien faction more content using the combined base to equal the huge amount of Fed content. Seems logical, as KDF players should've gotten the Romulan style "join the Feds or not" treatment from the beginning. You can streamline that whole thing and give players max choice plus decide which side to join (red vs blue scenario) for PvP competition purposes only. I think unifying the alien factions and just having 2 factions in the game could go a long way toward fixing PvP, etc. I also think CBS must've told Cryptic that Star Trek: Picard will be going in the direction of a Typhon Pact (novelverse) sort of thing, so I bet by this time next year we'll be seeing 1 Federation faction vs 1 Typhon Pact faction and all the huge in-game consequences thereof. A combined alien faction could actually draw players away from Fed supremacy because it would have multiple homeworlds and an equal-if-not-more amount of content as a base. A lot of retooling of the current episodes will be necessary to combine the stories, but there is precedent, such as the original Romulan and Cardassian arc rewrites.
    Greenbird
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    ^^ @sirsitsalot -- I think that's basically a great idea to generate ship interior revenue and open up a new angle of gameplay without too much work. Just have ship interiors give you randomized away team missions, and you can invite teams to your ship, walk to the transporter room & beam down to a randomized dungeon/planet, pew pew boom boom, get XP & dil. It feels more Trekkie and ground is underutilized, and maybe addressing the improvement of ground is what Al Rivera is talking about. Alternatively, albeit on a related note, recasting the tac, sci, and eng factions to make team cooperation more necessary would also address the long-standing player wish to simulate the diverse crew roles in Trek more (i.e. make sci scans and engi repairs absolutely necessary to beat a PvE boss, so tac dps isn't the only thing that matters).

My best guess is the big change will be Picard & faction related. I think the new show's plot will have the majority of Romulan refugees integrate with the Klingon Empire, rather than the Federation. Perhaps, therefore, they will combine the KDF with the Romulan Republic and maybe the Dominion, and probably combine all the Fed timeline factions on the other side, in order to return STO to a simpler Fed vs Aliens form, thereby being less confusing to new players/fans of Disco, and also liberating writers to give the alien faction more content using the combined base to equal the huge amount of Fed content. Seems logical, as KDF players should've gotten the Romulan style "join the Feds or not" treatment from the beginning. You can streamline that whole thing and give players max choice plus decide which side to join (red vs blue scenario) for PvP competition purposes only. I think unifying the alien factions and just having 2 factions in the game could go a long way toward fixing PvP, etc. I also think CBS must've told Cryptic that Star Trek: Picard will be going in the direction of a Typhon Pact (novelverse) sort of thing, so I bet by this time next year we'll be seeing 1 Federation faction vs 1 Typhon Pact faction and all the huge in-game consequences thereof. A combined alien faction could actually draw players away from Fed supremacy because it would have multiple homeworlds and an equal-if-not-more amount of content as a base. A lot of retooling of the current episodes will be necessary to combine the stories, but there is precedent, such as the original Romulan and Cardassian arc rewrites.

Nothing would get me to stop playing faster than that kind of storyline change.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    ^^ @sirsitsalot -- I think that's basically a great idea to generate ship interior revenue and open up a new angle of gameplay without too much work.

I like the ideas, at least partly. However, I do doubt the "without too much work" part. Fleshing out the idea for a system (what exactly should it do? what should the player do? what will the reards be? how do I balance against existing systems?) takes work, implementing takes work, making a working random mission generator takes a lot of work.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Look... I can afford to buy every single item on the C-store. I can afford to plunk down money on keys to open lockboxes.

Well congratulations on your ludicrously gainful employment.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Well congratulations on your ludicrously gainful employment.

Buying "everything", especially over the course of multiple years, doesn't necessarily mean "ludicrous" earnings. It may also mean having less other expenses. Sure it is a lot of money and if you're scraping by it's probably not prudent to do so, but it is more a question of preferences than a question of having a very high income for most.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    I want interior stuff, probably more than the next guy, but this also ignores the fact that DOFFing originally took place in the ship until players complained about having to go to their ship interior to do it, so it was removed to be UI only.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • illustriousqillustriousq Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    I want interior stuff, probably more than the next guy, but this also ignores the fact that DOFFing originally took place in the ship until players complained about having to go to their ship interior to do it, so it was removed to be UI only.

This isn't entirely true. Doffing always had a UI Component which was accessible from the menus. That UI component was fine.

What was the annoying pain in the neck part of doffing was when sector space was broken up into more sectors than it is now. Each Sector had it's own slew of doffing missions. This was true, and I remember this because I did it countless times, for both the menu UI and the ship interiors.

You had 13 Sector Space Blocks and 14 Exploration Clusters which all had different Doff Missions in both the Menu UI and the Ship Interiors. So 44 Maps to check at all times.

With map load times, this on average took over 2 hours to do once.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And now we have to park on sector borders to get most of the sector space assignments. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Yes, and you get the additional Doff Assignments for the Counselor, Bartender, Cook, Hamlet, and the make consumables &c. as well.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    What was the annoying pain in the neck part of doffing was when sector space was broken up into more sectors than it is now. Each Sector had it's own slew of doffing missions. This was true, and I remember this because I did it countless times, for both the menu UI and the ship interiors.

You had 13 Sector Space Blocks and 14 Exploration Clusters which all had different Doff Missions in both the Menu UI and the Ship Interiors. So 44 Maps to check at all times.

With map load times, this on average took over 2 hours to do once.
    Each sector still has it's own set of assignments. They're just all squeezed into impossibly tiny, unmarked strips at the edges that you have to look up on google to even find and then buzz back and forth while staring at the assignment list to be able to stop on just the right spot.

The old way was better.
This discussion has been closed.