test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tarantino Trek, back from the dead?

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
Looks like the actor pay issue didn't kill all the Star Trek films in the works. Quentin Tarantino says he's nearly done with his script, and Zachary Quinto has expressed interest. https://uproxx.com/movies/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rated/
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Tarantino has nearly completed a script. Quinto has "expressed interest".

I note that nobody seems to have actually contracted to make the movie, Quentin just assumes that of course whatever emerges from his golden pen (golden word processor, whatever) will be committed to film, IP holders be damned.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • baldrick8baldrick8 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I'd watch it just for fun but I won't loose any sleep if nothing comes of it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    QT seems to be trying his hardest make this happen. The fact he was willing to write a script for it suggests he is either trying REALLY hard to make it happen, or that he knows something we don't about how close this is to production. Scratch that, he definitely knows stuff we don't. The question is WHAT.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    I would rather this not be a thing. I have a weak stomach. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    What does Tarantino know that we don't?

In all probability, only what's in his script. His immense ego is well known, so that's not it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Who wouldnt want to see a full film the trailer looks amazing https://youtube.com/watch?v=v3Nv2R9Acec
    jonsills wrote: »
    What does Tarantino know that we don't?

In all probability, only what's in his script. His immense ego is well known, so that's not it.
    QT knows what Paramount has said to him about it. QT knows IF he's had a meaningful discussion about the possible film.

It's true that he likes to talk about things before they're even greenlit, but most of it gets made.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    To justify the rating, we'd have to be dealing with a rather violent alien antagonist. Klingons could fit the bill, but without knowing anything more...
    Also the CLOSEST Star Trek movies had come to an R rating is actually ST6. Only dropped down to PG-13 because they changed Klingon Blood to Pepto Bismol pink.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    To justify the rating, we'd have to be dealing with a rather violent alien antagonist. Klingons could fit the bill, but without knowing anything more...
    Also the CLOSEST Star Trek movies had come to an R rating is actually ST6. Only dropped down to PG-13 because they changed Klingon Blood to Pepto Bismol pink.

No. The movie will be a comedy, called "My Big Fat Betazoid Wedding" and be R-Rated for full frontal nudity.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Yeah, I'm thinking it'd have parts like Kill Bill or Django Unchained where people fight to the death and it really looks like a fight to the death.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'd be down with this if it's a completely new roster of characters.
    Oh yeah, Kirk wasn't the only hero in 2267 :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    Watching Inglorious TRIBBLE for the 10th time this week and I really hope that Tarrentino Trek is back in action. It would be hilarious to see the Enterprise Crew do the " bear Jew" scene with a Romulan agent or a captured Klingon. The Enterprise running over an enemy shuttle going into warp would be a great gag for a Tarrentino flick. Seriously there is some great potential for a rated "R" Star Trek. Considering what Tarrentino brought to the World War 2 genre, I can't wait to see what he does with Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > To justify the rating, we'd have to be dealing with a rather violent alien antagonist. Klingons could fit the bill, but without knowing anything more...
    > Also the CLOSEST Star Trek movies had come to an R rating is actually ST6. Only dropped down to PG-13 because they changed Klingon Blood to Pepto Bismol pink.

Klingons are perhaps too predictable , Orion Pirates perhaps.
    It's been a while since they did a proper pirate attack story in Star Trek. I'd love seeing the Orions be the "big bad".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, anything to get more pirate stuff in STO...and maybe an actual pirate mechanic

ARRGH!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > It's been a while since they did a proper pirate attack story in Star Trek. I'd love seeing the Orions be the "big bad".

Plus I can see Orions being more rated R then Klingons .
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Orion pirates were never really considered much of a threat though, so it might be a hard sell. Mostly, except for the Syndicate (which is not strictly Orion) they have been presented more as a sort of grifter type that depends on the females sowing chaos to through the mark off balance instead of a swashbuckler or even organized crime type. The "pirates" in ENT were rather pathetic thugs preying on weaker ships (which the NX-01 was compared to the ships of mainline powers at the time) for example.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    jake477 wrote: »
    It would be hilarious to see the Enterprise Crew do the " bear Jew" scene with a Romulan agent or a captured Klingon.

I never really understood that scene, after all the build-up, I was expecting a hulking goliath towering 7 feet tall and build like... well a bear.

In the end we got a rather average looking, slightly muscular guy, with a baseball bat. Fell rather flat for me. Bill Goldberg (or another jewish wrestler) would have fitted better. Meh, sorry to go off topic.
    Orion pirates were never really considered much of a threat though, so it might be a hard sell. Mostly, except for the Syndicate (which is not strictly Orion) they have been presented more as a sort of grifter type that depends on the females sowing chaos to through the mark off balance instead of a swashbuckler or even organized crime type. The "pirates" in ENT were rather pathetic thugs preying on weaker ships (which the NX-01 was compared to the ships of mainline powers at the time) for example.
    Thing is... making a fun action movie isn't about OMG the Federation is DOOMED!

This is part of what Insurrection got RIGHT. The Enterprise crew was fighting the Son'A for the Baku, nothing more. There were real stakes, for adequate tension and drama, but it wasn't "We have to stop the Federation from being destroyed, part 19.4"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

This is part of what Insurrection got RIGHT. The Enterprise crew was fighting the Son'A for the Baku, nothing more. There were real stakes, for adequate tension and drama, but it wasn't "We have to stop the Federation from being destroyed, part 19.4"

Insurrection was also more of a moral issue rather than blatant aggressor. Yes the Son'a were somewhat blatant, but it gets muddied by the fact they were backed by a Starfleet Admiral.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Insurrection was also more of a moral issue rather than blatant aggressor. Yes the Son'a were somewhat blatant, but it gets muddied by the fact they were backed by a Starfleet Admiral.
    It made a great story though. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    It did make for a good story. People just deadpan it because it followed First Contact and doesn't measure up to the previous movie.
    At least it looked like the cast had some fun. In Nemesis... they kinda came across as tired at times.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Insurrection was also more of a moral issue rather than blatant aggressor. Yes the Son'a were somewhat blatant, but it gets muddied by the fact they were backed by a Starfleet Admiral.

And the fact that they were helping a Dominion ally.
    And the fact that scaling errors mean the Federation could have simply plopped a field hospital on another damn continent and forgot the whole thing.

Insurrection got flak because it was a cr@ppy film. Patrick Stewart told the producers flat-out that the film made no sense whatsoever.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    big problem with that - building the hospital THERE means having to keep your intended recipients of the radiation long enough to bear them to the planet - and also having to constantly navigate the briar patch which, by its nature, forbids the use of warp or even full impulse​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    big problem with that - building the hospital THERE means having to keep your intended recipients of the radiation long enough to bear them to the planet - and also having to constantly navigate the briar patch which, by its nature, forbids the use of warp or even full impulse​​
    If they're that close to death, I'm not sure anything short of a Q could help.

And as any science captain knows, all you have to do is set the filtration rate to 0.47 and you can use full impulse in the Briar Patch just fine. Just make sure you stay at least 4 kilometers from any patches of metreon gas - but given how empty even crowded space is, that shouldn't be an issue at all.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Yeah it was stated in the movie that they were hoping research of the Metaphasic radiation would eventually give them the ability to store it in a hypospray or similar device and take it wherever they wanted.

No they didn't spell that out, but it is the topic they discussed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing