test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Discounts in the Weekend Event Store!

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Though the intention was not to address the Weekend Event Tokens with that patch, the normal sloppy editing and proofreading may have caused confusion. Though not a 14-Day Event by them mentioning the Kobayashi Maru they seemed to have confused people.

As I stated last week it's as if they drafted the Announcement before they changed their mind about the Weekend Tokens and never updated the Announcement or Patch Notes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    amleth125 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    I know everything. After the first announcement, the next day they pulled back on addressing the Weekend Event Tokens until later in the Summer. They wouldn't being doing anything for a week anyway.

Well, you must not have known what was in the 6/6/2019 patch notes. Again they specifically announced "All existing tokens used in the aforementioned projects will be automatically removed from players’ inventories, as they will no longer have a purpose going forward."

The "aforementioned projects" were specifically said to be 14-day Event projects. By definition Weekend Event projects, which used Weekend Vouchers, were NOT 14-day Event projects, which used separate tokens. I'm sorry that this was confusing to you, but they were two very different things.

Perhaps you're right, but I was not the only one confused then, Many of us dumped our weekend event tokens based on those patch notes... They didn't say only 14 day project tokens, they said "all existing tokens."

Yes, "all existing tokens used in the aforementioned projects." Truncating the statement comes across as an attempt to deflect from the fact that the tokens being spoken of were for 14-day projects. So, yes, they did say only 14-day project tokens. Again, I'm sorry that you and others may have been confused by this, but it was stated, plus, it was also stated via Twitter that the Weekend Event store and its tokens would be addressed later.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Starting this week on PC, and in August on Console, all items in the Weekend Event Store will cost only a single token!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11180023

"Soon … you’ll be able to use any tokens you have left to purchase Phoenix Prize Packs."

I have to wonder .... why was this not an option for the other old Event tokens like crystal shards/transponders/sompek tokens/etc that players might have had in their inventory (after they had already claimed all the Event goodies)?

Enquiring minds want to know.

You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I would like to know if they are going to have 1 more event so people who don't have everything from the weekend events will have a chance at getting a few more tokens ...

Thanks!
  • amleth125amleth125 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I know everything. After the first announcement, the next day they pulled back on addressing the Weekend Event Tokens until later in the Summer. They wouldn't being doing anything for a week anyway.

Well, you must not have known what was in the 6/6/2019 patch notes. Again they specifically announced "All existing tokens used in the aforementioned projects will be automatically removed from players’ inventories, as they will no longer have a purpose going forward."

The "aforementioned projects" were specifically said to be 14-day Event projects. By definition Weekend Event projects, which used Weekend Vouchers, were NOT 14-day Event projects, which used separate tokens. I'm sorry that this was confusing to you, but they were two very different things.

Perhaps you're right, but I was not the only one confused then, Many of us dumped our weekend event tokens based on those patch notes... They didn't say only 14 day project tokens, they said "all existing tokens."

Yes, "all existing tokens used in the aforementioned projects." Truncating the statement comes across as an attempt to deflect from the fact that the tokens being spoken of were for 14-day projects. So, yes, they did say only 14-day project tokens. Again, I'm sorry that you and others may have been confused by this, but it was stated, plus, it was also stated via Twitter that the Weekend Event store and its tokens would be addressed later.

I'm afraid I don't have twitter, I have to depend on official patch notes
  • amleth125amleth125 Member Posts: 82 Arc User

Mea Culpa then, It's evidently all my fault for not understanding the all so clear and obvious truth of what they were planning and doing, and not keeping up with all the myriad ways of communicating they use to convey their will to us peons
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    My view is not wanted i am sure of that. and no question some one here will either edit or correct me for some contrived issue or wrong think.

I take issue with the phoenix packs and stores for a few reasons. The primary one you can't ever earn items from the pack. you can gamble all you like. To earn a item is not possible.

The other issue i have is the exclusivity view of the items in the store. Every time items from the past are requested to have some way to earn them again. You have some random person chime in either you can in the phoenix pack. Or you should have devoted your life to playing this game in the past regardless of when the person started the game.

And that last view some how seams to think other mmos do this so its normal and every one should accept this yet at the same time going look what i have and you cant get.

And yes i understand you can get the packs and open them all you want to. You can buy zen trade it and buy as many as you can get your hands on. But you can not earn a item.

So even knowing my view is worthless i hope this will be considered and changes made to make it possible to earn the items. As many have said a trade up option would be all it takes. for instance you could buy a mid token between vr and ur. set it at 5 vr a mid token. then offer the ur token for 500 mid tokens. this would mean one ur token would cost a person 10mill refined dil and more as it only lets you upgrade vr tokens.

The cost is insane in and of it self but the net result is it would be possible to EARN one. I also hope every item that was in the past in some way finds a new option to get them for returning players as well as new ones.

In the end this has been time i will never see again and have given a part of my life to type this i would ask it be given the consideration deserved of such an act. Likewise every one on this forum has spent such a currency let us not wast more picking each other apart.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User

I'm afraid I don't have twitter, I have to depend on official patch notes

It was also discussed in the original thread, talking about the return of CC:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1249286/pc-return-of-the-crystalline-entity/p3

On page 3, I quoted the Twitter post.
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    I would like to know if they are going to have 1 more event so people who don't have everything from the weekend events will have a chance at getting a few more tokens ...

Thanks!
    After this date, we will no longer be running Weekend Events, so these tokens will no longer be given out – so make sure you buy the things you really want!
    That's a little ambiguous, but it's safe to say don't expect another run.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Not sure if promoting weekend or phaser-ing out the weekend events....
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    I used all my weekend tokens before the last patch because there was a probability that you will stole them also as all another tokens.
  • darknessmutadarknessmuta Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    @ambassadorkael#6946 I am sure I am like many as evident in this post that spent our leftover Weekend tokens when it was originally announced they were getting removed so I must admit this announcement is disappointing since I had 7 tokens left and needed 4 items to own everything from the Weekend store so I grabbed 2 of them with that original announcement only to have you guys backtrack on it after the fact in other places then the actual news page. So now I will still be missing one last item since I luckily had 1 token left over and didn't care about spending it on the 2K Dilthium box so I can at least grab one of the 2 items I had left to get.

It would be nice to add these Weekend tokens to the Phoenix store now to allow all to collect the items while they are account unlocks and would balance out some of the flip flopping from the original announcement for those that like myself only follow Star Trek Online news on the actual Star Trek Online news feed from the front page of the website.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Can we just get a "Legacy Store" already for all those old tokens from the last 8 years?
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I hope I'm wrong and the wording in the blog is unclear; but I read this as... instead of getting 3 weekend event tokens to buy a thing, you've now got to gamble on a Phoenix Pack and hope you get the event item?

Or do you mean that weekend events are no more and all those rewards are just being rolled into the current Phoenix Pack event?

Proper proofreading of blogs by someone else can help catch those things that confuse other people. The blog writer knows what they mean when they write something, other people do not; so the implied meaning isn't communicated. AKA we can't 'read their mind' to know what they really meant.

Not everyone reads twitter. Any important info should be posted on Cryptic's website/forums as the primary means of communication to players not a 3rd party app. So don't assume everyone spends all day on twitter and/or facebook and will see that.
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Yes, "all existing tokens used in the aforementioned projects." Truncating the statement comes across as an attempt to deflect from the fact that the tokens being spoken of were for 14-day projects. So, yes, they did say only 14-day project tokens. Again, I'm sorry that you and others may have been confused by this, but it was stated, plus, it was also stated via Twitter that the Weekend Event store and its tokens would be addressed later.

Yes, but again they scr*wed the pooch on that 14-day Event language by actually dealing with and deleting the Zefram Cochran Memorial Statue Holograms. They never learn on how to be clearer on what they say in their Announcements. It's not like errors or ambiguities have not been pointed out to them on numerous occasions in the past, even to the point of providing claritive language and correct URL pointers. The next Announcement of the same type contains the same errors.

It then falls to you to have to tamp things down. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • dp1149dp1149 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru was never a 14-token event. It ran four times, none beyond six days in length, and rewarded Weekend Event Vouchers. Arena of Sompek ran one time as a three-week-long 14-token event that rewarded Merits of Sompek; the other four times were never more than six days long and rewarded Weekend Event Vouchers.

Two important takeaways from this massive Charlie Foxtrot:

1) Kobayashi Maru shouldn't have been in the list AT ALL.
    2) Arena of Sompek should have clearly stated it was referring to ONLY the 14-token event that rewarded Merits of Sompek.

Cryptic, you REALLY dropped the ball on communication regarding this. One completely incorrect statement, another one quite unclear, and the two led some to believe they had to use the Weekend Event Vouchers quickly or lose them for good.

If I'd have done that and found this out, I'd be righteously pissed off, too.
    Damn the torpedoes, warp speed ahead!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I have 30 something of these - so I will appreciate the prize packs. I'm glad to get at least something back for them.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I'm not in favor of even more gambling mechanics in STO, but I can understand wanting to consolidate things when there's a lot & STO has a lot of different currencies, different mini-events, etc. Also, really nice & generous of Cryptic to offer a close-out sale of sorts with the Weekend Event Store items per 1 token each. Hopefully that will help many with the transition.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    RNGesus... Reading really got nerfed.

Look, folks, there's an AMA tomorrow, how about y'all save the pitchforks and conspiracy theories til afterwards, ok?
    *looks at the bottom of his empty popcorn bowl*
    You may have a point there... >:)
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Granted, it may be a bit on the late side... but what about doing a once per account "3 Pack of Weekend Event Vouchers" that can be bought during this period?
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    That's a little ambiguous, but it's safe to say don't expect another run.

It is ambiguous, that is why I asked the question, to get some clarity. I would still like to hear from someone at Cryptic.
    With all the people who used up their remaining tokens and for those that still need a few of the items but don't have tokens it would be nice if they had one more weekend event...

Thanks!

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    The continuing saga of dumb moves by Cryptic/PWE, continues....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    There's not going to be another Weekend Event. The blog says they are done. The Weekend Vouchers are done. What you have is what you have. Now's your chance to spend them in the Weekend Store for your account unlock before the items get moved to the Phoenix Prize Pack, which is per character. If you have any other questions, problems, or rants, I highly recommend that you attend the AMA later today.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Big mistake getting rid of the weekenders.

The time that a sompek run takes up means its much better suited to a shorter run.

And that god awful kamikaze maru as a 2-3 week event smells of a revenue stream being abused as it'll push more people into the store event skip unless a lot of polish goes into it, which is about as likely as us seeing a romulan ship this side of christmas as for a multi week event its down beside pasta over pahvo.

"Get your hands on the rewards of the past, Captains!" Does this mean that console players will have an increased chance of getting epic tokens to compensate for being shafted over the rinky carrier?
  • mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Jeez, the amount of chicken little/the sky is falling nonsense that's being generated with this thread alone got me thinking of what DCUO did years ago: unifying the currency system.

DCUO used to have more than 25 currencies including seasonal stuff at one point in it's 9 years and it was a bugbear to control for the developers let alone the new players trying to cash in on what they bought and when they could buy. So, Sony/Daybreak unified it and converted where necessary. They still have a handful, but nothing like it used to be.

Seems Cryptic is following a similar (and so many other games) in trying to get rid of all the different currencies and unify it both for themselves and the players that often don't have time to farm it through the 21 days or so..

Now re-reading the announcement today, I also saw nothing about the other weekend events being killed off: Dilithium, XP, DOFF, Research, etc. I do see that they're killing off the weekend events that involve a currency as it's in line with them unifying the currencies of the 14 day events.

So instead of over-reacting like the special snowflakes, I would advise a more tolerant (and observant) approach to see where this is going through the Summer, especially when we consider that the dilithium market is a hell of a lot easier for the F2Per to take advantage of now than it was 8 years ago. Sure the inflation doesn't seem unreasonable, but there's a way to get that to change if the player base is willing to stop being so damned greedy.

However, I do have a warning to issue to Cryptic in this as well. I know what you're doing. You're trying to make money out of this by forcing the player base to cash in their dilithium and zen in order to get these "deep discounts". This is a smoke screen; and this damned Yankee understands the need for that money for this project. BE SURE though that you're going to take a good part of those monies made in making the game more stabilized. Players might whinge and complain about changes because people hate changes and the unknown by nature. They however are not going to as tolerate the subtle change to the F2P model if the game itself is constantly rubber-banding their experience in space and on the ground during prime time hours.
  • joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    you attend the AMA later today.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. People using abbreviations like they think everyone knows what it means and also, a link or directions to where this "AMA" thing is suppose to take place?

Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
    Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    joeykoric wrote: »
    you attend the AMA later today.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. People using abbreviations like they think everyone knows what it means and also, a link or directions to where this "AMA" thing is suppose to take place?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/by1m5p/developer_ama_event_changes_weekend_store_tuesday/
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I will say this very simply:

Old Weekend Items that were previously unlocked for an Account will remain Account unlocked in perpetuity.

Any Old Weekend Items that you unlock between June 13th and August 1st will remain Account unlocked in perpetuity.

Any Accounts that do not have specific Items unlocked after August 1st will only be able to get them by Character from the Phoenix Store.

All these Account unlocked Items will be moved to a different location. I think that would be the Event Reputation Store Account Unlock Tab.

Weekend Events, as currently construed, will be changing to something different, what that is we don't know yet.

ALL Events of any type that award special Items will continue to award them on an Account Unlock basis.

While I appreciate the clarity with which this is stated since it directly addresses my questions, I wonder HOW you know this to be true?

Is it your interpretation of the announcement or was this explicitly stated by someone from Cryptic?

The only thing I've seen is the actual announcement which is what raised these questions in my mind in the first place.

This is a genuine question, and I'm not trying to cast any aspirations, but this is something where I really don't want to make a mistake, as several people seem to have done with the weekend tokens already.
    It is my interpretation of what they said in the Announcement in addition to what previous Announcements have stated about special Rewards being Account Unlocks from now on.

I have stated many times in the past that proofreading and additional clarity on Cryptic's part would prevent all the churn that their Announcements bring about.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    It is my interpretation of what they said in the Announcement in addition to what previous Announcements have stated about special Rewards being Account Unlocks from now on.

I have stated many times in the past that proofreading and additional clarity on Cryptic's part would prevent all the churn that their Announcements bring about.

Thanks.

Frankly, not just proofreading, but writing statements in explicit terms as you did in your interpretation with very clear points about what we will and won't be able to do now and in the future.

I probably have 25 weekend tokens sitting around and only 1 or 2 not previously never-claimed items. The issue for me was whether I'd need to claim (and inventory) previously unlocked, but unclaimed items, as I wasn't particularly systematic about doing it as I claimed rewards over the course of the last few years. Inventory space would have been a big (and expensive) problem if the ability to claim unlocked items in the future disappeared.
This discussion has been closed.