test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery plotline - too much rehash of the same

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Slamek was the "Kurland Here" before Kurland was Kurland.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I found it hilarious that the last season of Discovery ended with Spock giving a speech about making it Federation law (under threat of treason) that nobody ever mentions , or describes the ships capabilities or its crew... (a lame attempt at explaining why nobody mentions such an astonishing starship existing in those series set in the future, or Spocks sister).

Meanwhile the Klingons are already fully aware of it's capability and it's crew...
    And we all know how lovely the Klingons are about following Federation rules, and doing what they are told...

They would have been better off just leaving it well alone.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I found it hilarious that the last season of Discovery ended with Spock giving a speech about making it Federation law (under threat of treason) that nobody ever mentions , or describes the ships capabilities or its crew... (a lame attempt at explaining why nobody mentions such an astonishing starship existing in those series set in the future, or Spocks sister).

Meanwhile the Klingons are already fully aware of it's capability and it's crew...
    And we all know how lovely the Klingons are about following Federation rules, and doing what they are told...

So far the DSC production team has a solid track record of taking the lamest, most obvious, and just plain lazy-stupid road on everything plot related (which is about par with the brainless action flicks they are basing their style on). Did you really expect anything else?

On the other hand, they are probably saving the pull-the-plug-on-the-paradox card for the end of the series or for a totally untenable corner they may write themselves into in the future. And they do seem to be putting at least a little bit of effort into changing the series into something with at least a shred of compatibility with Star Trek in general. They would do much better if they had some writers and designers who are fans of TOS (to the point they actually understand it instead of brushing it off as "bad old '60s TV") and not just Trek movies though.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The only Klingons aware of its full capabilities are L'rell and Tyler, and they aren't telling anyone.

Yea... I think most of the Klingons who fought Discovery either didn't survive or were thought crazy. I mean... a starship that can just pop in anywhere and make crazy jumps?
    Tyler's head of Section 31, and its possible that, out of respect for both the crews of Enterprise and Discovery, L'Rell will keep quiet. After all... Klingons don't impress easily, but when they are... you also have some respect.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The only Klingons aware of its full capabilities are L'rell and Tyler, and they aren't telling anyone.

So DSC is trying to float the idea that the Klingons had no intelligence gathering organizations at all during the mid to late 2250s and then suddenly were a full-blown Orwellian surveillance state with mature and competent intelligence gathering capabilities less than a decade later? Worse yet, that in that short amount of time the Klingon people were actually comfortable with the situation like they grew up with it?

Or were they just supposed to be too stupid to figure out that a starship contrarotating itself dimensionally and appearing and disappearing in a burst of fractal lightning must have some kind of very unusual tech aboard? I have missed episodes, but in the ones I saw the Discovery did not kill every single ship that witnessed its weird performance so it is not like everyone except L'rell and Tyler is totally in the dark even though they might not have the full picture.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

The Klingons know of a Starship that can seemingly teleport and that's it. Who are they going to tell? Starfleet? Each other? It's not like the Spore Drive was widespread, it was on one failed prototype and the Discovery which is now in the future.

I really wish fans would be less lazy and try come up with original thoughts and not just parrot from YouTube videos from people who've not watched the show.
    So DSC is trying to float the idea that the Klingons had no intelligence gathering organizations at all during the mid to late 2250s and then suddenly were a full-blown Orwellian surveillance state with mature and competent intelligence gathering capabilities less than a decade later? Worse yet, that in that short amount of time the Klingon people were actually comfortable with the situation like they grew up with it?

No. That's you making that statement not Discovery. It's a stupid statement that dosn't even match your 'evidence' but it's still just you, not the show.
    Or were they just supposed to be too stupid to figure out that a starship contrarotating itself dimensionally and appearing and disappearing in a burst of fractal lightning must have some kind of very unusual tech aboard? I have missed episodes, but in the ones I saw the Discovery did not kill every single ship that witnessed its weird performance so it is not like everyone except L'rell and Tyler is totally in the dark even though they might not have the full picture.

How many survived? Of the ones that did, how many were members of Klingon Intelligence or scientifically minded enough to wonder about it, and of that tiny group, how many survived into later eras of Trek to... urm... say they once saw a magic ship?

I don't know what you think they know but it's nowhere near what you seem to be trying to make out they know.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

The important thing however is that they don't have the full picture.

The house with the best intelligence and undercover operation experience is incidentally the house L'Rell is part of.
    And as it happens - that house did actually have an agent on the Discovery. Unfortunately, that agent was uncovered and turned. So not only do we see Klingon intelligence at work to figure out the secret of the Discovery - we also see how that mission is derailed. We don't need to speculate on whether the Klingons could find something out about it - we know exactly how close they got - and that their mission wasn't really a success.

What we haven't seen is if there were counter-intelligence operations done by Starfleet. Section 31 seems to have the ability to enter Klingon space unnoticed, for example.

From the Klingon point of view, the Discovery appears and disappears mysteriously. The data they have might not be clear enough to say if they are dealing with some kind of cloaking / ECM weapon or with an engine.
    But they seemingly succeed in destroying the Discovery after it destroyed the Sarcophagus ship. If they search the wreckage, they presumably can't find anything to indicate how the Discovery works.
    Then, for about half a year, there is no mention of the Discovery or ship with its abilities anywhere. Since no ship with its abilities reappear for so long, it looks like it might be a dead end prototype.
    Then, the ship reappears. But they might have no confirmation at this point that the Discovery that reappears is the real Discovery, and in fact, they will see very little of its technological secrets in action past this point. Basically only the jumps from and to Boreth would likely be picked up. And shortly after, the ship is send off, and afterwards, Starfleet does not pursue the technology anymore.
    Even if the official story of Starfleet doesn't add up with everything the Klingons now- they still don't know enough to do something about it. And at some point, there are more interesting things to investigate.

Maybe there is a Klingon pouring through the Klingon's intelligence equivalent of the X-Files, but unless the Discovery returns or someone else replicates the spore drive, nothing really changes.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Siamek was brainwashed into working for Hakeev just like they try to do to a Romulan toon in the LoR storyline.......don’t get why people hate him so.
    Well, partly it's because he's a traitorous little worm, which there are hints of from the very moment you meet him in the Romulan storyline (when he's alone next to a suspiciously-destroyed transmitter, and refuses to even help to attempt to repair it), but mostly I think it's because of what he sounds like when you meet him later (the lines weren't voiced before, so every time he spoke the text box was prefaced with this whiny little bustard saying things like "It's too bright here" (even during your nighttime escape from the Coliseum!) and "I tire of this life". Over and over and over and...).
    For me, it's entirely down to being forced to waste time babysitting him through the desert even though he's completely useless. It would have made more sense to leave him behind and then come rescue him after contacting the ship. I would've reached the crash site much faster without him slowing me down with his stupid demands.
    edited June 2019
    artan42 wrote: »

I really wish fans would be less lazy and try come up with original thoughts and not just parrot from YouTube videos from people who've not watched the show.

It would appear that my response to you has been deleted.

Do you think it is right that you should reply to me by calling my unoriginal, lazy, and a parrot? I have not seen any of the the Youtube videos that you mentioned.

I would hope a bug hunter such as yourself would respond without insults (including calling another poster 'stupid').
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Siamek was brainwashed into working for Hakeev just like they try to do to a Romulan toon in the LoR storyline.......don’t get why people hate him so.

I think it's not so much the character himself, which even may be quite interesting, though somewhat abandoned. It's the trinity of a whiny voiceover (apparently changed) plus the eternal one line some characters do have for every dialogue ("Kurland here", "Everything we do is for the EMPIRE", "They're taking the hobbits to Isengart") plus being the main focus of one of the most reviled missions Coliseum (arguably for gameplay not story reasons).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    edited June 2019
    You seem to forget, every time the Discovery appeared before the Klingons using its spore drive it destroyed them, leaving no one to tell anyone else of what it could do.

Even by the time they fought Kol, the guy who was leading the Klingon military during the war, over Pahvo, even he only knew Discovery had SOME sort of power, but didn't know what it was. Hence his comment of "so this is Discovery's fabled power" when they were doing the 300 spore jumps around the Ship of the Dead. Literally no Klingons survived to tell anyone else of what the Discovery did.

Even in S2 there are no Klingons who witness Disco's spore jump.

On the contrary, at least six Klingon ships survived the encounter where Discovery went to the aid of the Gagarin. While they may not have noticed how it arrived (sensors on DSC are laughably poor) all six were pointed in the same direction and a few were firing forward (supposedly at Discovery) when it jumped so they obviously saw the spoor-drive exit. And I doubt Discovery made an absolutely clean sweep in all other cases either.
    artan42 wrote: »

The Klingons know of a Starship that can seemingly teleport and that's it. Who are they going to tell? Starfleet? Each other? It's not like the Spore Drive was widespread, it was on one failed prototype and the Discovery which is now in the future.

No. That's you making that statement not Discovery. It's a stupid statement that dosn't even match your 'evidence' but it's still just you, not the show.

I was being sarcastic though I suppose that might not be apparent in text.

The point is, DSC is taking the lazy, knee-jerk way out when it comes to suppressing an inconvenient plot mistake. It depends on a very unrealistic assumption on how intelligence agencies operate for one thing, and that goes for both Klingon and Federation intelligence agencies. While the various Klingon families may have their own separate intelligence services (or even something totally informal like the classic Victorian spymaster) it is unlikely that they never compare notes when trying to figure things out (unless they are utter morons) or at least spy on each other for their own protection, and the Discovery's tricks would be a top priority item if the Klingons have any idea whatsoever about the advantage of strategic mobility (which a competent warrior culture should). It is highly unrealistic that L'rell and Tyler would be the only Klingons who know about the spore drive (though they probably know the most).

It boils down to the fact that it is impossible to "legislate" a secret, the very act of doing so spreads the information (or at least the fact that there is secret information which often amounts to the same thing). It works for things like Talos IV since the Federation wants everyone to know about it and stay away (though the actual details are sealed), but not for trying to stuff a technological genie back in the bottle. If it was that easy then we would not have nuclear proliferation today for instance.

Or if you were talking about my Orwellian surveillance state reference, just watch "Errand of Mercy" where Kor briefly explains how things work in the Klingon empire. For convenience the key line is here:
    KOR: Today we conquer. If some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes good and bad. Do you know why we are so strong? Because we are a unit. Each of us is part of the greater whole, always under surveillance. Even a commander like myself, always under surveillance, Captain. If you will note.

How many survived? Of the ones that did, how many were members of Klingon Intelligence or scientifically minded enough to wonder about it, and of that tiny group, how many survived into later eras of Trek to... urm... say they once saw a magic ship?

I don't know what you think they know but it's nowhere near what you seem to be trying to make out they know.​​

That depends. If you go by what they say in TOS there were at least six surveillance agents (since every ship supposedly has them) who witnessed the exit from the Gagarin skirmish and who knows how many in other encounters, especially if they use some form of recorder/markers like the Federation which could have sensor records (then again, the DSC sensors are trash at best so they might not have anything useful). Even if you go with the pure "space barbarian" trope TNG leaned towards there were a lot of witnesses between the three BoPs, one heavy destroyer, and what looks like two of the twin-hulled cruisers which are sometimes shown to be smaller than the Qugh-class they call a "destroyer" in the dialog of this scene.

What I "think they know" is that the Federation is using some kind of teleport drive, and that would be a reason to kick off a major intelligence probe into how they are doing it. It does not take much to trigger something like that, and if the Klingons are really so internally fractured that each family runs its own intelligence service L'rell would not have much luck in actually stopping them from looking into it though all may "agree" to stop officially.

For that matter, if Starfleet tries to quash any knowledge of the drive by fiat like that it is likely to get all the conspiracy nuts in the Federation going and spreading the word on the sly. The key to covering something like that up is to have some false explanation that sounds more reasonable than the truth (or better yet a bunch of them, one "official" and others lightly buried in an onion skin of carefully crafted deception), and that is not what Spock proposed at all.

azrael605 wrote: »
    > @equinox976 said:
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > I really wish fans would be less lazy and try come up with original thoughts and not just parrot from YouTube videos from people who've not watched the show.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It would appear that my response to you has been deleted.
    >
    > Do you think it is right that you should reply to me by calling my unoriginal, lazy, and a parrot? I have not seen any of the the Youtube videos that you mentioned.
    >
    > I would hope a bug hunter such as yourself would respond without insults (including calling another poster 'stupid').

Firstly a bug hunter is an unpaid volunteer position with no responsibility to Cryptic. Secondly, you sit here and call the DSC storyline which is far more plausibly written than pretty much any TOS and many later series episodes lazy for no particular reason and insult the writers without even affording them the opportunity to respond. Thirdly, people can express their opinions if they want to, you expressed your (wrong) opinion, others can express theirs, if they get out of line mods will say so.

Thank you for inserting words into my mouth on my behalf - regarding insulting the writers of DSC and for informing me that I have insulted them (for the record I did not mention the word 'lazy' anywhere, that was your insulting friend that you are defending).

Thank you for informing me that my opinion is 'wrong'.

I did not realise it had become commonplace in this forum to flame people for having an opinion. I think you will find that I have not used a single derogatory word towards yourself or the aforementioned person, whilst yourself and the former feel it is perfectly acceptable to call other people names, in addition to telling them that their opinion is 'wrong' (what kind of forum would we have if everybody talked like that?)

A disappointing response to what is meant to be a forum; of people sharing opinions, not being told they are 'parrots' 'stupid' or 'lazy' or that they are 'wrong' - for having an opinion, which simply shuts down the whole discussion.

I shall end this politely and with respect - I appreciate your response (although I do not agree with it). And I wish you the best.
This discussion has been closed.