test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time for the Borg to make a come back

daviboi1983daviboi1983 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I think it would be great to have a Borg based expansion.

I mean a full on invasion event where planets are lost and the galactic map changes on every release.

The current episodic type releases are perfect for this.

Of course this would have to be supported by the voice over of the one and only Alice Krige!

It would be amazing if she developed an infatuation with the players character in a similar vein to Locutus and Seven.

Start with the discovery of a large dormant obelisk of unknown origin (like in the original concept art).

It’s been almost 10 years since we had new Borg stories.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Personally, I would absolutely love more borg based content. Getting the LTS Borg captains a skin that DOESN'T end at the head would be nice. More Borg parts for character customizations, Borg themed arm prosthesis that cover hands and such. It would be fun to get more ship costume parts, even if they're just visual.

I really think they could do a mini-faction of the Co-operative, should they want to, giving people the borg race finally, but upgrading the LTS version to keep them happy, with a mid range pay version in the store. It would allow for an actual Borg Rep that gives borg tech and borg related items to help complete your assimilated officer's look. It would also be great to give us the personal shield with the VFX from the Borg, with a mod like [Assimilated] - the more damage you take from a weapon type, the more your shield resists it, weakness against physical and melee damage. Cooperative ships would be the focus, with the lockbox ships being a Borg sphere and the probe as a lobi buy. Minor ships could be more assimilated versions of existing ships, like the Mirror versions but more science based.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Ug, I just wish this zombie fad would finally fade away, Id rather have new stuff than constantly rehashing old tired tropish stuff.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    There'd better not be a connection to V'ger. Voyager attempting to retcon them from an ancient horror that was around at least
    as far back as when the Iconians were destroyed to the second youngest known major civilization was bad enough, I'd rather they weren't made into an accidental creation of Humanity.

I'm also pretty sure I read that people were pissed when they thought Discovery was going to give the Borg a connection to humanity like that.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    No thanks
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I( would not mind seeing them bring back the Borg even if it were more of fact of them rising again in the delta quad, and the delta alliance asking for us to investigate what has caused them to rise again so quickly, not sure i would say a straight to the Borg assualting the alpha/beta quad would be smart compared to maybe it happening that we watch as they slowly sweep across the delta quad an then invade the Iconian spheres that in an of itself would make them a threat worth our attention.

Also you could see alot of reasons why they are able to do this from the Borg assimilating the ships of various races that were left in space during the Delta arc (imagine them assimilating a iconian ship, or one of the servator race's ships for example that were still floating out there), which thr assimilating that tech could lead to them leaping ahead into something dangerous again atleast for the races of the delta quad. This would also be a good point to remodel an rework the Borg into a faction/enemy type that is more interactive for the players to fight making them more interesting. I have suggested many ways that the adaption mechanic of the Borg could be adapted an changed to make it fun to play against, and yet also add some depth to fighting the Borg without buffing up their stats massively.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd wish for the Borg to be cut from the game to be honest. It's dead, beaten and gone. It's the prime example of a franchise (spanning tv, movies, games, books and comics) taking a fan favourite element and murdering it to death with inspirationless over-saturation. Doctor Who's Daleks and Weeping Angels are the other two of the top three.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    While I don't mind the idea of maybe discovering the origins of the Borg, and looking into their connection with V'Ger (which is hinted at in game due to the Unimatrix ships looking like V'Ger ship, complete with similar bolts that vaporize), I do feel that the Borg as the "ultimate enemy" in TNG era games is a bit overdone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,319 Arc User
    Well, there are some unused systems in the Northern part of the Delta Quadrant so a borg battle zone (staging ground for an assault on the Dyson Sphere? ) or another transwarp hub could work.

Defera should be transformed into a Breen assault. Sounds much more interesting.

One or two FE on how the Borg Assault on Defera was defeated and then an unholy alliance of Terran, Nah'kuhl and breen move in to take the Borg tech for themselves.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    How about the Borg, after getting a bloody nose every time they poke it into alpha or beta looking to assimilate them, start looking in other directions tries to assimilate something that starts taking over the collective instead of the other way around.

There are a lot of candidates for that running the range from an aggressive biological or machine collective to an bad synergy with something (like the Elachi) that ends up corrupting the collective in some way, some threat thought long dead (like say Kukulkan's people) the Borg run across a few in suspended animation with enough strength of mind to turn the tables, or something that hitched a ride on the spheres from Andromeda (which could also lay the groundwork for a possible expansion in that direction for the future) or whatever.

The biggest problem with the Borg is that they cannot carry much of a plot by themselves, they are basically "bulletproof zombies" from a plot perspective and would need some kind of interesting face characters. The queen was introduced to try and provide that but the attempt was a flop, ideally they need to be working with, manipulating, or manipulated by some non-Borg types to take that role.

There are a lot of possibilities as long as the writers do it in an interesting way. They really need to stay out of the mindset that Enterprise had of trying to tie up all the loose ends as an end in itself, and concentrate on story instead.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    Some books written by William Shatner imply that V'ger encountered the earliest version of the borg, before they became all assimilation crazy and that's what transformed it into the monstrosity it was. I kind of like that idea personally.

We could certainly use new borg story stuff that expands on them but honestly... I don't want new borg content. They're kind of boring, their adaptation mechanic for ground stuff is annoying(as if we couldn't somehow program our rifles with our new tech to just automatically remodulate every few seconds completely negating their adaptation at all) and they can't just always be "The big bad"
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Spoiler
    Sto Season 19.5: The Borg King Awakens
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I would hope that any new Borg arc goes into the origin of the Borg, what their connection to V'ger is, expand the Delta Quadrant map some more, and possibly provide us a Borg Cooperative playable faction. Also revamp the Borg TFOs, axe Defera and replace it with a battlezone that doesn't suck, and revamp the Borg enemy models since they are looking pretty dated at this point. Maybe do it as the focus of a TNG themed expansion, get more of the TNG cast back for a final battle with the Borg.

Would be one of the best updates/content drops the game ever had.

The origins of the Borg? No thanks. Like how Ridley Scott gave us the origin of the xenomorph, a bunch of stupid black goo? Why do people not understand the concept of less is more? One of the major reasons why the Borg are so terrifying is exactly because no one knows where they came from.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I honestly don't buy the origin story in Covenant. I feel like there's more. WHY the interest in the substance? Why go in that particular direction?

I feel like there's something that WY is hiding. Almost like they knew about them beforehand. And as we know they have an interest in trying to weaponize Xenomorphs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Borg King, huh? We have plenty of mirror universe Terran Empire (that I think should have been a different TE that never fell, not a reborn canon one) and used to have mirror Klingons.

Some mirror Borg would be a nice change of pace from all the Terrans.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd wish for the Borg to be cut from the game to be honest. It's dead, beaten and gone. It's the prime example of a franchise (spanning tv, movies, games, books and comics) taking a fan favourite element and murdering it to death with inspirationless over-saturation. Doctor Who's Daleks and Weeping Angels are the other two of the top three.

I'm singing from the same hymn sheet as you here. I far preferred the Borg as we saw them in 'Q-who' and 'Best of Both Worlds' and am, personally, one of those of the opinion that the Queen ruined the concept.

If they were to do anything with the Borg in STO it should (in my opinion) involve them taking an interest in the Dyson sphere sat on their doorstep. Whilst they may be limited on rescources at this point, I refuse to accept that they either didn't notice, or choose to ignore, the planet-sized sphere that generates particles that they are, basically, obsessed with.

they haven't - there's borg wreckage near an opening ripped into the shell in the southern part of the contested zone​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Borg King, huh? We have plenty of mirror universe Terran Empire (that I think should have been a different TE that never fell, not a reborn canon one) and used to have mirror Klingons.

I"ve heard from a few book series about the mirror universe that the Borg just simply don't exist in the mirror universe. Presumably whatever species first created them either died out, or they never reached the assimilation stage the prime borg did. They might be peaceful cyborgs or something but they're not a threat to anyone.
  • Options
    westx211 wrote: »

I"ve heard from a few book series about the mirror universe that the Borg just simply don't exist in the mirror universe. Presumably whatever species first created them either died out, or they never reached the assimilation stage the prime borg did. They might be peaceful cyborgs or something but they're not a threat to anyone.

Borg (Mirror).
  • Options
    westx211 wrote: »

Borg (Mirror).

Gonna be honest, after reading that they sound stupid. I don't care about borg 2.0, they're just stronger versions of the prime borg. I guess the book I read that stuff from must've been really old or something.

But that sounds too much like, oh you heard about the borg? Well here is the Super Death Ultra Nega Darksider Borg.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Voyager attempting to retcon them from an ancient horror that was around at least as far back as when the Iconians were destroyed to the second youngest known major civilization was bad enough
    Voyager did nothing for the sort. All Voyager did was mention that the Borg were around 1,000 years ago during the time of the Vaadwaur, and that their knowledge of said time was fragmentary. Being 1,000+ years old makes them one of the oldest space faring empires in Trek canon. Only like the Dominion and Voth are still around, and pre-date the Borg by any real measure.
    For once we're in complete agreement (insert sign of the apocalypse joke here). Yeah, all "Dragon's Teeth" said was that the Borg don't clearly remember what was going on ~1,000 years ago, which is easily chalked up to degradation of storage media.
    What Q and Guinan said in TNG only states that whatever species became the first Borg began down that path that would make them Borg two hundred thousand years ago. Not that the Borg were a thing, assimilating people, 200,000 years ago. If the Borg were that old they would have assimilated the galaxy by now given how powerful they are.

Not necessarily. I've played around with a theory that Borg drones don't last forever (they are, after all, partly biological), so the Borg maybe run on a boom-and-bust cycle*, or maybe deliberately restrain their conquests to keep from running out of targets. We know there are species and civilizations they explicitly refuse to assimilate (namely the Kazon), and there's any number of small polities in the shadow of Borg home space that are still intact even though the Borg would easily overwhelm them if they wanted to.

For that matter the Borg could've easily overwhelmed the Federation back in the 2370s had they actually tried.

* Which was part of an overall origin theory for both the Borg and the changelings: the Borg were created accidentally by the Preservers (who then created the genetic program from "The Chase" to repopulate the galaxy after the Borg burned itself out for lack of targets), the changelings are a Preserver remnant population who transformed themselves to hide from the Borg (which was mostly a joke on Salome Jens playing both the FC and the ancient humanoid from "The Chase").
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Borg King being Borg Queen, only more so? A Borger King, if you will?

I'd like to see the Borg returned to what they were - a faceless, endless threat, without personality or Queen. "It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." Seeing a Borg Cube enter your sector should inspire fear, not bloodlust.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    - Liberated Borg unique character (like Delta, TA, JH)
    - Liberated Borg story-line (as it progresses and becomes free form the Collective)
    - L50 start character
    - Ships: Sphere, Diamond, Cube, Pyramid, Cylinder (last 1 as shuttle)
    - Borg True Rep
    - Nice Borg-like traits and T5 ship unlocks
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I don't think really they need to be the big bad, a main bad for abit or atleast a focal point of a arc's mystery leading to a big bad. We have not actually heard in game what happened with the Undine after we left that dreadnaught in fluidic space, and so a expansion that starts with us investigating Borg activity (that could be via the delta alliance asking, or activity of borg in troubling areas), and then finding that they have resumed attempting to invade or attack the Undine might be interesting as a hook to have us explore an deal with the Undine an fluidic space once more.

I can agree that the Borg queen is weird as a concept with the Borg, going so far as to seem to be quite a about face for them, though i can see the idea of them creating Borg queens as a response to how powerful an resilient other races were that had individuality an to see if they could integrate or find the source of that power an resilience to themselves. I mean that is what they do they assimilate the best qualities of races into themselves, while discarding the rest an so why would they not try an assimilate a quality that seems to give a race that by tech an age should be steam-rolled by them the ability to resist an even defeat them. Though i think the Borg queen would make more sense in ways as a aspect or from a splinter group of the cooperative-Borg
  • Options
    zanibarzanibar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I can't take the Borg as a serious threat any longer, after all we know how to nuetralize them and made the Co-operative. On the ground fight the Borg with a blade, no serious challenge there either. Can't think of a storyline for them that would peek my interest in the slightest. Let the zombies lie dead!
This discussion has been closed.