test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New hair color / texture. Completely horrible.

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
So the hair coloring and texture has changed again.. Some colors look better such as blonde and orange, but black has turned pitch black again. It looks completely horrible.

Thoughts?

Black hair is now pitch black, it has no real depth or texture anymore. I tried to make it a lighter black color, but on sunny maps such as Risa it looks grey... So... Yeah. Completely horrible decision on the hair... Again... Really guys?

fzVijft.png

Comments

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Before, all you could get was dark gray for hair, even with the darkest black. You could tell yourself that it was the shininess, but it was not actually black hair. It would be nice if we could have both shininess and a true black hair color, but two attempts now tell me that those things might be mutually-exclusive.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Maybe try a color on the pallet that's a bit lighter?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    double check your video options. Mine got reset today.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    Before, all you could get was dark gray for hair, even with the darkest black. You could tell yourself that it was the shininess, but it was not actually black hair. It would be nice if we could have both shininess and a true black hair color, but two attempts now tell me that those things might be mutually-exclusive.
    Only as long as they won't give us separate controls for both parameters.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    I love the new hair colors. Makes them look so much better. Just pick a new shade that looks like the one you had, no big deal. :)
    Or just go into your setting and turn off the 2.0 lighting. They said it in the patch notes after all.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    double check your video options. Mine got reset today.

this... lighting 2.0 is default now, which seems to be darker, to me...
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    I love the new hair colors. Makes them look so much better. Just pick a new shade that looks like the one you had, no big deal. :)
    Or just go into your setting and turn off the 2.0 lighting. They said it in the patch notes after all.

Yep, my blue hair character's hair looks really nice, now.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    What is this "hair" thing you speak about?

But yeah, hair colors didn't ever have as many options as the pallette made you believe because some colors just looked silly (and I don't mean "pink hair is stupid" or the likes). Which ones has changed over time. Some of my boffs really need to go to the tailor ...
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    They did mention on the livestream tonight that something went wrong with hair this update.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    They did mention on the livestream tonight that something went wrong with hair this update.

Aww really? But it looks so good right now! Such deep wonderful colors! :( I hope they keep it like this. Hair looks bad the way it was.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Fix my Blonde hair toons Please
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    iZKsgOD.png

Look at these amazing textures, quite surely an improvement when it comes to black hair. The new updated reflection and coloring really makes it all seem very realistic.

NO. It does not, the new update is HORRIBLE. It's quite honestly completely unacceptable.

You've ruined hair textures and colors for 8 out of 10 characters.

And no people, most of you comment "just change it to a lighter color". But guess what, If I am on a really sunny map like Risa or a interior. The hair looks GREY, not black. So that is also an unacceptable solution.

And don't give me the "You're on a dark map" excuse either, because guess what. Almost ALL maps in Star Trek Online except some are dark..

Change it back. Stop messing up things, you already ruined this once before and you reverted the change. Now revert it again, and don't make changes or updates before you GET IT RIGHT.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    It looks like the subsurface scattering got accidentally dropped out, which darkens the color and kills the depth. It is great if you are going for a cartoonish look but a huge step backwards in realism.

What would be really great would be to have two color pallets and sliders for each hair to set the levels and tint for the hair itself and separately for the subsurface scattering source. At first it looks like it was set to pure white which made white hair fantastic but sort of bleached the darker hues, then they set it to something else, either a gray or a derivative of the hair's main tint (I am not sure which) which made darker hairs more saturated but turned platinum to dirty gray. Separate controls would take care of both problems (though it is possible the engine could not handle it).
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    It looks like the subsurface scattering got accidentally dropped out, which darkens the color and kills the depth. It is great if you are going for a cartoonish look but a huge step backwards in realism.

What would be really great would be to have two color pallets and sliders for each hair to set the levels and tint for the hair itself and separately for the subsurface scattering source. At first it looks like it was set to pure white which made white hair fantastic but sort of bleached the darker hues, then they set it to something else, either a gray or a derivative of the hair's main tint (I am not sure which) which made darker hairs more saturated but turned platinum to dirty gray. Separate controls would take care of both problems (though it is possible the engine could not handle it).

Neverwinter has that on their newer hairs.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Oh that’s good news that cryptic looks into it. My bajoran fem toon with the dark hair looks like she skipped shampoo for weeks again. :'(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User

Agreed! The hair and the colors look a lot better! Now we just need new hairstyles :)

edited May 2019
    jiralinria wrote: »

Agreed! The hair and the colors look a lot better! Now we just need new hairstyles :)

New hairstyles can help.. If you compare the normal Star Trek Online hair styles to those that are brand new, especially ones on Discovery NPC characters. The difference in quality is day and night, when you stand besides a Discovery NPC it looks like that character and your own are from two separate games due to the huge graphical difference...

6Yq68dd.png

Could you link to this? Thanks!
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User

New hairstyles can help.. If you compare the normal Star Trek Online hair styles to those that are brand new, especially ones on Discovery NPC characters. The difference in quality is day and night, when you stand besides a Discovery NPC it looks like that character and your own are from two separate games due to the huge graphical difference...

6Yq68dd.png

That's always the problem with games as they get as old at STO is. Everything new looks pretty darn good. Old stuff, not as good. You can only update our captains so much without breaking backwards compatibility. And I think players would rightfully be angry if they made sweeping changes to the design of the captain's we've been using for years.

I wonder, considering how good the newest NPCs look, if there's a possibility of enabling some more detailed customization options for new captains created as of X date. I'm sure it'd be hell to maintain two separate tailor toolsets, mind you.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »

6Yq68dd.png

That's always the problem with games as they get as old at STO is. Everything new looks pretty darn good. Old stuff, not as good. You can only update our captains so much without breaking backwards compatibility. And I think players would rightfully be angry if they made sweeping changes to the design of the captain's we've been using for years.

I wonder, considering how good the newest NPCs look, if there's a possibility of enabling some more detailed customization options for new captains created as of X date. I'm sure it'd be hell to maintain two separate tailor toolsets, mind you.

They did speak of adding new improved hairstyle options while retaining the current ones in the latest Ten Forward stream, also saying it's probably easier to add new similar looking (but better) hair styles then update the current/old ones.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    They did speak of adding new improved hairstyle options while retaining the current ones in the latest Ten Forward stream, also saying it's probably easier to add new similar looking (but better) hair styles then update the current/old ones.

Can you link to this stream?

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

Can you link to this stream?

about an hour into the stream is where they start talking such stuff I can't remeber the exact timestamp where they speak about the hairstyles.
    About an hour into the stream is where they start talking such stuff I can't remeber the exact timestamp where they speak about the hairstyles.

Thanks!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Sooo.... Not happy with this black hair weirdness.
    Is this going to be a forever thing, now?
    I have a ton of my Klingons with black hair. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • kobonkobon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    The recent patch on 6/20 broke the tailor. I made a BALD/NONE hair option female alien with a humanoid head and now after the patch I am forced to choose a hairstyle when updating my look at the tailor. A BALD/NONE hair option exists for MALES but not for FEMALES (Aliens). This does not make any sense. Please bring back the option to make BALD ALIEN FEMALES.
  • kobonkobon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    > @kobon said:
    > The recent patch on 6/20 broke the tailor. I made a BALD/NONE hair option female alien with a humanoid head and now after the patch I am forced to choose a hairstyle when updating my look at the tailor. A BALD/NONE hair option exists for MALES but not for FEMALES (Aliens). This does not make any sense. Please bring back the option to make BALD ALIEN FEMALES.
    >

Since there is no way as it seems to create a separate new post, I am forced to comment on other people's posts.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    @kobon Quit spamming the forum. This is not the place to post bugs anyway. Bug reports go in the Bug Subforum. You want a dev to see it and fix it, post there.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    kobon wrote: »
    > @kobon said:
    > The recent patch on 6/20 broke the tailor. I made a BALD/NONE hair option female alien with a humanoid head and now after the patch I am forced to choose a hairstyle when updating my look at the tailor. A BALD/NONE hair option exists for MALES but not for FEMALES (Aliens). This does not make any sense. Please bring back the option to make BALD ALIEN FEMALES.
    >

Since there is no way as it seems to create a separate new post, I am forced to comment on other people's posts.
    @kobon Quit spamming the forum. This is not the place to post bugs anyway. Bug reports go in the Bug Subforum. You want a dev to see it and fix it, post there.

My understanding is that new users are put on probation and cannot start new threads until the probation period ends. Is that incorrect?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • kaiya4wolfkaiya4wolf Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Honestly, I think it might be best to see a return of the shiny hair slider bar if only so the darker hair colors can look good while the lighter hair colors don't end up looking duller than what players would like. Sorry for the zombie post but my latest attempts at snow white hair look more like a dull grey.
This discussion has been closed.