test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ron Moore interviewed by Slate re: nBSG and GoT finales

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Also, the person who said nBSG:"Daybreak, Pt 3" was the worst ending of any sci-fi show ever was wrong. ENT:"These Are the Voyages" was already four years old by that point.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Also, the person who said nBSG:"Daybreak, Pt 3" was the worst ending of any sci-fi show ever was wrong. ENT:"These Are the Voyages" was already four years old by that point.

I don't concider that to be the final episode, just semirelated crossover episode.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, the person who said nBSG:"Daybreak, Pt 3" was the worst ending of any sci-fi show ever was wrong. ENT:"These Are the Voyages" was already four years old by that point.
    I also really enjoyed BSG's ending. It stayed true to the characters. It provided us with beautiful and saddening send-offs to several beloved characters like Roslin, Galactica or Starbuck... Probably nothing will beat the Galactica air drop scene in terms of BSG action scenes, but the final battle was still a highlight.
    I can somewhat understand people that were not happy, but it just worked for me.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The funny thing about how the Galactica herself ended... it wasn't combat damage that got her. It was metal fatigue. The Cylons never really did any significant damage. Galactica literally started rotting away from old age. But dang if that old girl didn't kick butt along the way.

The Cylons became too reliant on missile tech, and tried to take out a ship that was designed to defend against that with her flak guns. If they still had capital ship scale KEWs Galactica wouldn't have fared as well in ship-to-ship combat.
    Probably nothing will beat the Galactica air drop scene in terms of BSG action scenes, but the final battle was still a highlight.

The Adama Maneuver was crazy... but it worked. And if that got pulled on another species... seeing a bigass Battlestar falling out of the sky launching Vipers is gonna be pretty shocking.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    It wasn't even metal fatigue that got the Bucket - it was when they decided to board that Basestar by ramming. Pretty much broke the old girl's spine.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It wasn't even metal fatigue that got the Bucket - it was when they decided to board that Basestar by ramming. Pretty much broke the old girl's spine.

That might have been the penultimate nail, but they already discovered structural damage to the ship a while before, during Gaeta's mutiny. Apparently the FTL jumps themselves cause physical stress to the ship.

And it's not true that the Galactica hadn't taken serious damage.
    In the mini-series it was hit by a nuke. It carried the scar for the rest of the series.
    During the battle for New Caprica, she did not just execute that famous Adama maneuver, but she also took a heavy pounding before the Pegasus jumped in, sacrificing itself to save the Galactica and its crew. She kept visible battle damage for a while.
    And eventually, the battle against the Cylon Colony, including that violent "docking" maneuver...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I also really enjoyed BSG's ending. It stayed true to the characters. It provided us with beautiful and saddening send-offs to several beloved characters like Roslin, Galactica or Starbuck... Probably nothing will beat the Galactica air drop scene in terms of BSG action scenes, but the final battle was still a highlight.
    I can somewhat understand people that were not happy, but it just worked for me.

Yeah I loved that finale, imho BSG and Breaking Bad probably have the best series finales of any show I've watched.
    In the mini-series it was hit by a nuke. It carried the scar for the rest of the series.
    During the battle for New Caprica, she did not just execute that famous Adama maneuver, but she also took a heavy pounding before the Pegasus jumped in, sacrificing itself to save the Galactica and its crew. She kept visible battle damage for a while.
    And eventually, the battle against the Cylon Colony, including that violent "docking" maneuver...

On top of all that, when the damage was found Tyrol also said that corners were cut during her original construction.

Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png