test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, regardless of what anyone here thinks of it, Discovery took third place in this Top 10 most wanted shows in the US.
    Link?

Star Trek:Discovery has not trended on social media for several weeks. I'm curious to know what methods they used to determine "most wanted" if most people are not talking about it.

Well, if it's Rotten Tomatoes...

Honestly if it's any type of Entertainment Journalism it's methods must be called into question.

Could care less about Rotten Tomatoes.

How much less?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Wonder how they gonna make her save the universe when in the captain's chair.

I remember a YT comment that fit perfectly:

How does Michael Burnham change a lightbulb?

She holds up the bulb, stands still, and the universe revolves around her. >_>

You can replace Burnham in this with just about any central Star Trek character and come to the same conclusion.

But there needs to be 2 Kirks or 3 Picards for that joke to work in their case.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    The creators behind Star Trek: Discovery have made significant efforts to remake Trek into something "fresh and modern". Ketwolski has an impartial and indepth analysis of the differences in camera shots, editing and even direction:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGi8j_slU_E
    However, it seems ST:D is moving away from "traditional Trek" and into "generic action". Many viewers and posters have noted similarities between the current season of Star Trek: Discovery and the Terminator movies. The issue is not just concepts and story beats being used; it is also camera shots and editing. You can see it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt56W-FSWS8
    I recall watching a Red Letter Media episode of Half in the Bag where the hosts, Mike and Jay, comment on how "all Hollywood trailers are cut and edited to be nearly identical in presentation". This kind of laziness and inability to rise above other media is bringing down not only Star Trek: Discovery, but many shows and movies.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    redvenge wrote: »
    The creators behind Star Trek: Discovery have made significant efforts to remake Trek into something "fresh and modern". Ketwolski has an impartial and indepth analysis of the differences in camera shots, editing and even direction:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGi8j_slU_E
    However, it seems ST:D is moving away from "traditional Trek" and into "generic action". Many viewers and posters have noted similarities between the current season of Star Trek: Discovery and the Terminator movies. The issue is not just concepts and story beats being used; it is also camera shots and editing. You can see it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt56W-FSWS8
    I recall watching a Red Letter Media episode of Half in the Bag where the hosts, Mike and Jay, comment on how "all Hollywood trailers are cut and edited to be nearly identical in presentation". This kind of laziness and inability to rise above other media is bringing down not only Star Trek: Discovery, but many shows and movies.

Hollywood in general is like this, now....they look at fans as liabilities and go "TRIBBLE 'em!" rather than than respect them.

I remember Mark Hamill talking about this, that they seem to not give a damn about the fans anymore.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-season-3-time-travel-future-theory/amp/

A theory that season 3 of Discovery is going to be in the future. It's a really solid arguement and interesting. Makes me look forward to the final episodes even more.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    > @reyan01 said:
    > Read a mildly interesting theory on FB regarding Season 3.
    >
    > Again - it was only a theory, but the site that posted it speculated that at least some of S3 could take place in the future, probably via spore drive + time crystal.
    >
    > I guess it isn't impossible. Interestingly they didn't make reference to 'Calypso', which is ironic since it would probably support their theory.

You ninja'd me.
    Discovery would work so well as being Star Trek: Sliders since the Spore Drive is not limited to their own universe. If the Spore Drive was capable of time travel like it indicated in that Season 1 episode where they returned from the Mirror Universe, then there is no need for a time crystal. Just have Stamets plot a course for the future or a parallel universe and leave the sphere data there. Personally, I think that Discovery didn't return to their original universe, but a parallel universe that is 9 months ahead of their own since there is no indication that the Mycellial Network has anything to do with time travel.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Kobayashi Maru
    I still like the show better than VOY and ENT.

They're not scared to introduce new stuff while still keeping previous canon in mind. That's good.
    Some stuff is a little too over-the-top but that's simply the current state of "television". Not everything is for the fans, but that's okay if it doesn't go completely overboard.

At first mention of that red-angel I raised an eye-brow too. However, it turned out to be actually cool. Over-the-top, but fine.

Section-31 is basically the only thing I found to be the wrong choice for a "villain". Sure they would exist by that time, but they would not openly show themselves like that. But well, general audiences might not get it and are used to that "intrigues and conspiracies are everywhere" from other modern shows.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    garaks31 wrote: »

Timeline was never broken. DSC had nothing to fix.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »

So Discovery didn't need to stop Control from grabbing the sphere data to stop a timeline where all or almost all life in the galaxy was destroyed?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Everything is alright now, because all involved swore a pinky promise to not tell anyone 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Red Alert
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Everything is alright now, because all involved swore a pinky promise to not tell anyone 😂

That's his idea of everything alright now.

*slow clap*

Sorry, in my opinion, the guy's a bean counter who think he has talent.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

So Discovery didn't need to stop Control from grabbing the sphere data to stop a timeline where all or almost all life in the galaxy was destroyed?

Except that timeline was the aberration not DSCs actual timeline.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Discovery would work so well as being Star Trek: Sliders since the Spore Drive is not limited to their own universe. If the Spore Drive was capable of time travel like it indicated in that Season 1 episode where they returned from the Mirror Universe, then there is no need for a time crystal. Just have Stamets plot a course for the future or a parallel universe and leave the sphere data there. Personally, I think that Discovery didn't return to their original universe, but a parallel universe that is 9 months ahead of their own since there is no indication that the Mycellial Network has anything to do with time travel.

There's no indication that a slingshot maneuver around a star has anything to do with time travel either. As for "plotting a course for the future or parallel universe". You need coordinates and data for that. The time jump coming back from the Mirror Universe was accidental. Not intentional. Jumping to the Mirror Universe was intentional on Lorca's part, but it looked like a set of incomplete coordinates.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

There's no indication that a slingshot maneuver around a star has anything to do with time travel either. As for "plotting a course for the future or parallel universe". You need coordinates and data for that. The time jump coming back from the Mirror Universe was accidental. Not intentional. Jumping to the Mirror Universe was intentional on Lorca's part, but it looked like a set of incomplete coordinates.

The whole point of using a Tardigrade or Tardigrade DNA is that Discovery doesn't need coordinates and data to accomplish their jumps. Just intuitively feel out the proper course through the mycellial network.
    Red Alert

Kurtzman on the rampage, again
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Red Alert
    the law suit continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXABM-5NPM
    Me still cheering for Abdin, more so, now. *shakes her pom-poms*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    According to the writer of the episode — award-winning novelist Michael Chabon — the word “V’draysh” is a transmogrification of the word “Federation.” On Instagram last year, Chabon confirmed that “V’draysh” is a syncope of “Federation.”
    Kurtzman on the rampage, again
    A. Nothing about Calypo suggested the Federation was evil, so the link is wrong from the get go
    B. That has nothing to do with Kurtzman anyways

The Federation assimilates cultures into their own with its benefits and set of rules. So in order for a world that eats their dead as a form of respect to join the Federation, then they have to betray their culture. So the future Federation might not be evil, but there are good reasons to fear the Federation.

Then there is the possibility that the future Federation has become evil for some reason.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    or...you know, just the typical demonizing every nation at war does to their enemies, even when THEY are the evil ones​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The Federation assimilates cultures into their own with its benefits and set of rules. So in order for a world that eats their dead as a form of respect to join the Federation, then they have to betray their culture. So the future Federation might not be evil, but there are good reasons to fear the Federation.

Then there is the possibility that the future Federation has become evil for some reason.
    This is completely untrue.

We have seen as far back as TOS that the Federation allows its member cultures to keep practicing even ritualistic duels to the death(such as the Vulcan's Kal-if-fee ritual), after joining. Same with the Andorians and their Ushaan death-fight ritual.

If a member culture ate their dead as a form of respect, the Federation would allow it so long as it was organized and done so legally by the laws of the culture it stemmed from.

Hell, if the Klingons were to join the Federation they could still keep doing all of their pain stick rituals and, and their challenges to the death as well. The only thing they would have to stop is randomly walking up to someone and stabbing them because they insulted their honor or w/e. The challenge would have to be made officially, and overseen in a standard manner.

The Federation doesn't care.

Exactly. Contrary to what Garak, Quark or Eddington might philosophize, the Federation is not like the Borg, that turns everyone into a Feddie drone. The planets that join retain their unique cultural aspects, even rituals that might be strange or dumb or dangerous to humans.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Exactly. Contrary to what Garak, Quark or Eddington might philosophize, the Federation is not like the Borg, that turns everyone into a Feddie drone. The planets that join retain their unique cultural aspects, even rituals that might be strange or dumb or dangerous to humans.

It's become popular for a while now though. Around DS9 parts of the fandom (including producers) reinforced the believe that the presumed utopia of Roddenberry was nonsense and "unrealistic" and everything needs to be grey or black. Which they don't realize was already the case, as Turkana IV was a thing during TNGs first "Reddenberry'd" season even. Now that isolationist and nationalist policy became en vogue again it also became more popular to actually vilify the Federation in parts of the fandom methinks.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.