test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Interviews Lead Designer Al Rivera!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Lead Designer Al Rivera sat down with our friends at Priorty One: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast last week to discuss The Rise of Discovery and more!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11173273

Comments

• asadir#3274 asadir Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Any new Romulan content coming up like ships and missions maybe a new arc ? And by the way Vil had a lot more returning players than Disco ...by far , in game not a spreadsheet that does not reflect reality .In fact Disco pushed away a lot of people .Now if you are talking about how much money you made by constantly pushing disco stuff , that's another story. That's not a problem ofc but let's not distort some facts to match your agenda.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Sooo ... Guesses for what the "game changes" coming to game play is gonna be next year as hinted out in Geko's interview?

I'm betting fleets will be going multi-faction.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Any new Romulan content coming up like ships and missions maybe a new arc ? And by the way Vil had a lot more returning players than Disco ...by far , in game not a spreadsheet that does not reflect reality .In fact Disco pushed away a lot of people .Now if you are talking about how much money you made by constantly pushing disco stuff , that's another story. That's not a problem ofc but let's not distort some facts to match your agenda.

Like you're doing? I'm sure some people left because of Discovery, just like some leave over every story choice, but you can prove none of what you said here, and they can, with those spreadsheets and statistics that show actual data, not rants or opinions.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Actually ViL seemed to be more of a dud than anything else. People were excited by the new "faction" and recruitment event until it became known that it was only horneytoads, not anything at all like a real faction (or even half-faction like the Romulans ended up being) at all. If the chat at the time was anything to go by, many people were coming in for the summer event and found it delayed by Vil but played through it rather than ducking out again until the summer event actually started.

I am certain that if it really was a new faction launch instead of just a single new (technically) playable race from a not yet fully existing faction and some episodes it would have done much better that it did.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    Like you're doing? I'm sure some people left because of Discovery, just like some leave over every story choice, but you can prove none of what you said here, and they can, with those spreadsheets and statistics that show actual data, not rants or opinions.
    What I can say is that I constantly see people using Discovery stuff in game :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

They're doing some reworking on the Romulan side, most likely going to include new content/ships. I'm hoping for addition of Suliban to available player species for the Romulans.
    anodynes wrote: »
    What I can say is that I constantly see people using Discovery stuff in game :p

I use bits and pieces, does that mean I hate/love the show? ;)
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    • Discovery has done really well for STO, in terms of both new and returning players. Breaking records even more then ViL did.
    ^ fact from the podcast.
    ... And by the way Vil had a lot more returning players than Disco ...by far , in game not a spreadsheet that does not reflect reality .In fact Disco pushed away a lot of people .Now if you are talking about how much money you made by constantly pushing disco stuff , that's another story. That's not a problem ofc but let's not distort some facts to match your agenda.
    ^ fiction from a possible gatekeeper. Discovery has been a success - fact. Discovery has made money - fact. Discovery is not being cancelled - fact. Discovery has been very good for Star Trek Online and increased the player base - fact.

If you can back up your post with FACTS, people will listen. Until then, please remember that your opinion is not a fact, but just your own agenda.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Notes from the episode
    • We are coming to the end of the "Age of Discovery" arc set in 2256, with maybe 1-2 missions set in the past left.
    • Cryptic has "put a bow" on how the present day arc with Killy and J'Ula will end, what actors they want, and what the STO storyline will be for the next year and a half.
    • Future storytelling will take place linearly following up on the end of Mirror of Discovery. No more jumping around besides maybe some one off mission in 2256 not about the arc as a whole.
    • Discovery has done really well for STO, in terms of both new and returning players. Breaking records even more then ViL did.
    • Al Rivera had like one more arc he wanted to get into, but was running out of ideas until all these new Trek shows came out. Now there's almost too much for them to hook into.
    • Al isn't concerned about how the Picard shows writing might affect STO, he thinks they are going to be fine.
    • It was Rekha who suggested Landry be in a relationship with a woman, and she wanted to be on site while doing the recording so she could give it her all. Her voice started cracking near the end of recording because she was recording for so long. Wants to do more work with Cryptic.
    • They had to re-record a few lines for Lorca's dialog in Operation Repost because his British accent crept through, and he pronounced Alpha and Omega differently then his character would have.
    • Every time they get an actor for STO they have recorded the level up lines. Al wasn't originally aware that they switched out Tilly's lines for Lorca's for the Discovery character's level up notifications.
    • Lorca wasn't originally going to be voiced in the mission, due to contract disagreements, nor was the player originally going to board the Buran to get the prisoners. Lorca was originally just going to be in a floating medical stasis pod, which they had fully built in-game, but they were able to get Issiacs at the last minute.
    • Every character head we have seen in-game was built using screenshots/photos from the shows/internet. But now CBS has 3D scans for the Discovery actors, so now Cryptic can use those. Cryptic has the 3D scan of the next person they have signed for VA work in-game.
    • The release of TFOs over time has been a success for STO number wise.
    • The revamp of reputation system got put a little bit on hold, but Season 18 will introduce new tech that will bring Cryptic closer to a reputation revamp. Looking into making them less time consuming/take less time to complete. Revamp would simplify reputations, simplify times to get there/rewards. Make generic rep gear more meaningful.
    • Probably only 1 rep a year from now on.
    • Wouldn't do something like let you craft reputation gear to avoid players "finding the path of least resistance" where players do the easiest thing, even if they hate it.
    • Random TFO system has probably been the most successful player retention mechanic in awhile.
    • Things like the mission journal change, scaling TFOs, and being able to start at the beginning of any story arc, are steps to making reputations unlock earlier.
    • Al wants to do more then just TFOs for events, wants to streamline existing systems to make them easier to understand/use.
    • Wants to redo the Borg TFOs, and other older content. Wants to add new VA, cutscenes, better messaging, to older TFOs/content.
    • Next year's story arc will change the face of the game. Not talking about revamping how the game plays(No Star Wars Galaxy style change).
    • Cryptic will be at Vegas, will have an announcement at STLV.
    • Cryptic was at the CBS partner summit, saw some behind the scenes/early stuff for Picard, Lower Decks, the Nickelodeon cartoon, and what they might be able to use in STO. Got to talk to the show makers/had some early conversations about bringing stuff into the game in the future.
    • Some big stuff planned for the 10th anniversary.

Thank you for the notes.
    And by the way Vil had a lot more returning players than Disco ...by far , in game not a spreadsheet that does not reflect reality .In fact Disco pushed away a lot of people

What a steaming load.

let's not distort some facts to match your agenda.

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Take your own advice sparky.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User
    genhauk wrote: »
    Sooo ... Guesses for what the "game changes" coming to game play is gonna be next year as hinted out in Geko's interview?

I'm betting fleets will be going multi-faction.

Star Trek in the 32nd (and a half) century! ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    If they could do voice-overs for those Federation Supply Crates in the old STF's. This game will reach a new level of awesome!
    They're doing some reworking on the Romulan side, most likely going to include new content/ships. I'm hoping for addition of Suliban to available player species for the Romulans.
    The only reworking they have said they are doing for Romulans is adding VA and making new cutscenes for the Romulan faction missions.

There has been no talk/mention of new missions, or new playable species, or anything of that nature.

Then again, they've mentioned working on new ships for Romulans, but I guess that's not anything of that nature neither.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    It would be nice if they made a real Dominion faction with several leveling races and "alien" like all the other factions instead of just those start at endgame horneytoads (though considering they are basically meat droids it does make sense for the Jem'Hadar to start at that level). I doubt it will happen anytime soon though, if ever.
    It would be nice if they made a real Dominion faction with several leveling races and "alien" like all the other factions instead of just those start at endgame horneytoads (though considering they are basically meat droids it does make sense for the Jem'Hadar to start at that level). I doubt it will happen anytime soon though, if ever.

I was so looking forward/expecting to be able to make a Science Officer Vorta, that I only made a Eng/Fed ally Vanguard Jem'Hadar and a Tac/Klingon ally Vanguard Jem'Hadar. I'm sure there were other species that they could have used for the new faction, but the Vorta were the most visible other than the Jem's.

I enjoyed the tutorial, being either a regular or Vanguard Jem'Hadar only was a major damper for replayability.

I hope that they'll be able to schedule in the development of an alternate tutorial that would concentrate on the Vorta (where Weyoun and Loriss try to have the player character see their way, but Weyoun succeeds in convincing to side his way until either the episode on the Hur'q homeworld or the mothership; the device Loriss discovers was from Weyoun, rather than from Dukan'Rex).

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Changelings (though I may have to when trying to survive a suffocating attack by one of them); either they'd have to be young like Odo was when he was discovered or they'd have to be purposefully reduced in ability by an older/more senior Changeling like the Founder.
    I wonder if the voice actor Al mentioned would be a part of the Discoverse Enterprise?

I'm thinking the next TFO will involve that ship, considering the picture for month of June. Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijin, Ethan Peck?

Considering it's harder to get a 'Captain/Lead Character' (I'm thinking it's a matter of payscale, among other things, such as contracts), better to ask Anson Mount now, before they (hopefully) make a series based on Captain Pike and his Enterprise crew.