test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

I totally believe that, I have no doubt that CBS has a strong say on things like plot lines and story direction. I find the idea that they're micromanaging tailor options though to be laughable at best.

There is no doubt that CBS is heavily involved in the direction of the game, it's their IP after all. It's just some of the silly theories on the level of their micromanagement that I find so ridiculous.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Citing the FCT to dismiss an idea is not helpful, aka End Game Constitution from the beforetimes. This given the EP said something face changing was going to happen.

Keep in mind that the EP is NOT Al Rivera. Andre Emerson is the EP. Al Rivera is the Lead Designer, which means that he is in charge of getting the ground work set up for the next big update that the game is going to have.
    More notes on the episode
    • We are coming to the end of the "Age of Discovery" arc set in 2256, with maybe 1-2 missions set in the past left.
    • Cryptic has "put a bow" on how the present day arc with Killy and J'Ula will end, what actors they want, and what the STO storyline will be for the next year and a half.
    • Future storytelling will take place linearly following up on the end of Mirror of Discovery. No more jumping around besides maybe some one off mission in 2256 not about the arc as a whole.
    • Discovery has done really well for STO, in terms of both new and returning players. Breaking records even more then ViL did.
    • Al Rivera had like one more arc he wanted to get into, but was running out of ideas until all these new Trek shows came out. Now there's almost too much for them to hook into.
    • Al isn't concerned about how the Picard shows writing might affect STO, he thinks they are going to be fine.
    • It was Rekha who suggested Landry be in a relationship with a woman, and she wanted to be on site while doing the recording so she could give it her all. Her voice started cracking near the end of recording because she was recording for so long. Wants to do more work with Cryptic.
    • They had to re-record a few lines for Lorca's dialog in Operation Repost because his British accent crept through, and he pronounced Alpha and Omega differently then his character would have.
    • Every time they get an actor for STO they have recorded the level up lines. Al wasn't originally aware that they switched out Tilly's lines for Lorca's for the Discovery character's level up notifications.
    • Lorca wasn't originally going to be voiced in the mission, due to contract disagreements, nor was the player originally going to board the Buran to get the prisoners. Lorca was originally just going to be in a floating medical stasis pod, which they had fully built in-game, but they were able to get Issiacs at the last minute.
    • Every character head we have seen in-game was built using screenshots/photos from the shows/internet. But now CBS has 3D scans for the Discovery actors, so now Cryptic can use those. Cryptic has the 3D scan of the next person they have signed for VA work in-game.
    • The release of TFOs over time has been a success for STO number wise.
    • The revamp of reputation system got put a little bit on hold, but Season 18 will introduce new tech that will bring Cryptic closer to a reputation revamp. Looking into making them less time consuming/take less time to complete. Revamp would simplify reputations, simplify times to get there/rewards. Make generic rep gear more meaningful.
    • Probably only 1 rep a year from now on.
    • Wouldn't do something like let you craft reputation gear to avoid players "finding the path of least resistance" where players do the easiest thing, even if they hate it.
    • Random TFO system has probably been the most successful player retention mechanic in awhile.
    • Things like the mission journal change, scaling TFOs, and being able to start at the beginning of any story arc, are steps to making reputations unlock earlier.
    • Al wants to do more then just TFOs for events, wants to streamline existing systems to make them easier to understand/use.
    • Wants to redo the Borg TFOs, and other older content. Wants to add new VA, cutscenes, better messaging, to older TFOs/content.
    • Next year's story arc will change the face of the game. Not talking about revamping how the game plays(No Star Wars Galaxy style change).
    • Cryptic will be at Vegas, will have an announcement at STLV.
    • Cryptic was at the CBS partner summit, saw some behind the scenes/early stuff for Picard, Lower Decks, the Nickelodeon cartoon, and what they might be able to use in STO. Got to talk to the show makers/had some early conversations about bringing stuff into the game in the future.
    • Some big stuff planned for the 10th anniversary.

- Having a "close" on the 2256 discovery story arc would make those who want more episodes in the 25th century happy. There will be those though that don't want them to spend any more time on Discovery. They will have to suck it up since J'Ula and Mirror Tilly are still very much tied to Discovery.
    - We know the devs like working the story ahead so that they can make changes, so knowing how they want it to end makes sense.
    - I feel the jumping around was only because they had to see who they could get for the arcs they wanted. Since they likely have whom they wanted, the linear story telling can return.
    - I would imagine that with all the advertising that I've seen lately on Facebook with the Star Trek page regarding stuff with STO, Age of Discovery is doing well for the game.
    - I think the fact that the new shows are providing the devs with so many story ideas is a sign that despite what people say, Star Trek is as strong as ever as a franchise.
    - I would imagine that as the Lead Designer for the game, Al has some insight as to what the basic plot is going to entail, especially given that Cryptic was asked about the stuff they did for the time period that Picard is set.
    - Rehka I feel probably wanted to give her character justice, given that we barely got to see much of her or how she got to be so... hardened.
    - As far as the level up lines, I imagine that they probably didn't think of changing them, but being able to get Isaacs in the game was an opportunity they didn't want to pass up as it's not every day you get a big actor like that.
    - It's good to hear that the TFOs have been successful for cryptic, despite the distaste of how many of them had come out.
    - I'm gonna hedge a bet that Season 18 could be "Age of Discovery: Part 4" which will give us the last of the Discovery episodes of the past, likely squeezed between Secrets and Downfall.
    - One rep a year going forward will make sense as the game has now 13 reputation tracks.
    - Cryptic being at STLV at at this point is a given, even if they don't always have big announcements to do.
    - The 10th anniversary is likely being planned at this point right now. It's a milestone that they definitely want to go big for.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Lovely. I see that patrick continues to be a malcontent. :unamused:
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

I totally believe that, I have no doubt that CBS has a strong say on things like plot lines and story direction. I find the idea that they're micromanaging tailor options though to be laughable at best.

There is no doubt that CBS is heavily involved in the direction of the game, it's their IP after all. It's just some of the silly theories on the level of their micromanagement that I find so ridiculous.

That's fine. It's not theory, though, when the devs have stated what has been and has not been approved by CBS.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....

I didn't say that, so please don't put words in my mouth. I merely agreed that the devs have stated during livestreams things that CBS has vetoed, something you claimed there was lack of evidence for.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Well since it's TIED to the story as Al says it " but we are changing something significant in the game as a result of the arc we are telling and how it will"

Nothing about that says exploration or pvp, and I would than theorize that it has more to deal with STO's story since the new arc will explain it. My best guess for this? We all end up Federation like that future mission played out and the new story arc will go into how we all merge into it.
    Lovely. I see that patrick continues to be a malcontent. :unamused:

I mean and why not? Just because you love STO and literally everything about it doesn't mean everyone views it with the same love struck eyes you do. There's more than a fair share of people that don't like what Cryptic has done with the game lately. I will say I don't have quite his level of venom yet but it's been growing steadily

edited May 2019
    . I NEVER claimed that the devs never said those things. I just said that what they said was later changed. And I implied I don't believe a thing they say anymore. But sea is the one who claimed the lack of evidence. And not even about that specifically.

And you were completely right. Things have been said in the past and then later changed or revised. Just because something is a No right now, doesn't mean it always will be. My lack of evidence claim was about something completely different, sorry you got dragged into that.
    Why is the "SO YOU THINK THE GAME IS PERFECT!" argument always the first one people use as a straw man?

Is it really a strawman though? I mean sure.. you never typed the words 'the game is perfect,' but it does seem to be how you feel. I am not attacking you here, please don't take it that way.. but everything you have ever posted leads people to believe that you are overwhelmingly pleased with all directions the game has taken. Whenever criticism is offered on the forum, it's usually met with a response from you arguing that the criticism is wrong or unfair.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that.. it's your view and you're welcome to it. Believe it or not, at times I envy being able to have that level of optimism, it would be great if I could love the game and love Cryptic as much as you do.. I imagine it would make me a lot happier overall. The reason that people take this approach with you is because that is very much the impression that you give.

That is not intended as hostility or criticism, just an attempt to answer the question honestly.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    That is just revisionist history and you know it, I know...we all know it.

Huh? And since when did you speak for everyone?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I love it when people think that just because I'm a moderator, I don't have a right to or shouldn't express myself or my own opinion. And heaven forbid if I do, because it just doesn't "look good" to those people. :smirk:

And my apologies, coldnapalm, I did indeed mistakenly attribute seaofsorrows' claim to you.

Still, I never said or implied that a no hasn't or couldn't change to a yes. I merely affirmed that there is evidence that supports that CBS has vetoed certain things. But I acknowledge that things could change at some point, as they have with such things as the T6 Constitution.

Also, while one might assume (presumably by virtue of my position) that I believe STO is perfect and love everything about it and that the devs can do no wrong, that is hardly case. I just don't vent my negativity on the forum. :wink:
    GrWzQke.png

The "criticisms" I tend to address generally have nothing to do with the actual criticism itself, but rather the implausible fixes people propose for said problems...

Fair enough, the intent was not to pass judgment but if your intent has been misinterpreted then apologies for jumping to conclusions. Even though I am not the one that made the initial comment, I did initially agree with it.. perhaps that was a mistake.

I love it when people think that just because I'm a moderator, I don't have a right to or shouldn't express myself or my own opinion. And heaven forbid if I do, because it just doesn't "look good" to those people. :smirk:

This is only an issue if the moderator states their opinion then locks the thread to avoid any counter opinions. You don't do that, so it's all fair game. We all state our opinions without hesitation, no reason why you should not be able to do the same. As long as you're not using the moderator tag to indiscriminently silence those that disagree (and you're not) then there is no issue here.
    And my apologies, coldnapalm, I did indeed mistakenly attribute seaofsorrows' claim to you.

And your response to me was reasonable and polite. I don't think we have a problem here. :smile:

• lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    Im thinking its a graphics update. (Which we desperately need. Game is a mess right now. Especially with the tailor and our toons.) A time change, like not based in 2410 anymore. Or a tailor and character revamp.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
    Also, while one might assume (presumably by virtue of my position) that I believe STO is perfect and love everything about it and that the devs can do no wrong, that is hardly case. I just don't vent my negativity on the forum. :wink:

I don't assume you take those stances solely on being a moderator, I take that assumption based on your actions and the comments you make towards people that blast something about cryptic or sto. When people are upset with the game your general reaction (if you make one) is belittlement or dismissal of their frustration/vent/anger/upsetness. I have not seen you ever say "thats a good point", or "that's a valid frustration", or "I can see why that would upset you". Again this is what I've SEEN, and I know I haven't seen every post you've ever made but that's become my perception of you.

As for venting on the forums, what other outlets does Cryptic really provide us with? In game to other players will never see the light of day, twitter blasting some dev sounds like a TRIBBLE poor method since it's than directed at just some guy working there vs the games general forums, so we take our complaints here.

but in general whatever don't wanna keep derailing what big thing might be coming up in STO, so I'll leave it at that.

Fair enough.
    GrWzQke.png
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Im thinking its a graphics update. (Which we desperately need. Game is a mess right now. Especially with the tailor and our toons.) A time change, like not based in 2410 anymore. Or a tailor and character revamp.

I am leaning toward a time jump forward based on reasons I can't say without spoilers for a current Trek Show. :wink:
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Hmmm Mirror Borg crossover to escape the wrath of the Terran Empire? They then bump into the Prime Borg and quickly assimilate there way across the DQ.

The Alliance must then beg for the Terran Empire to help them? :D
    Sure, why not? They made "dinosaurs with lasers on their heads" work. The Dyson ground battlezone is still my favorite. When Discovery introduced a gigantic sub-atomic organism that exists literally everywhere and everywhen I thought "man, good thing the Borg never discovered this. They would assimilate everything, everywhere, everywhen with it.

Maybe the Tholians finally get tired of us messing with the timestream and move themselves to an alternate reality, but as a final insult to the Alliance, they give the Borg the keys to the mycelial network. I'm looking forward to logging in and Phillip Crey says "the timestream is totally borked".
    tailor nonsense goes away
    That would be CBS's decision, not Cryptic's. I have linked to the livestreams where they talked about it several times in the past.

I don't claim knowledge of anything beyond what the devs have made public SEVERAL times over the years. It's not my fault you don't watch/listen to the publicly available streams.
    Great. Then link the livestream(s) where the devs have said that ALL ISSUES with the tailor are because of CBS mandates. Should not be hard since you have linked it in the past. Then we can put this to rest. Maybe even add it to the FCT thread.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    Maybe they will finally fix the warp out effects, that be pretty TRIBBLE groundbreakin'

xD Maybe, just maybe.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Al may not be the EP but he sure acts like it. He is much more famous than the the EP, he is in-famous.

https://youtu.be/0b6_i_eSgR8
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I'm always excited for new content but I do wish they were less vague about what they're doing with the existing content. It makes trying to record it quite difficult since I need to maintain consistency.
    ltminns wrote: »
    We are going to the 31st Century and will be all working for the Temporal Bureau.

Then we get this costume unlock and T6 Waverider with Gideon console
    3414397_0.jpg

• zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I would think an obvious choice that hasn't been hit on yet is a mobile option. Either a full port (lower graphics or something) available on mobile (as many handheld devices are getting pretty game-focused with graphics and processing power)

-OR-

A functional mobile version of something to replace the now defunct Gateway. So perhaps control of admiralty missions, DOFF missions, or even a new "expansion" of missions or groundplay or something that ties in. Mobile game coding tends to be simpler, cheaper to do, and can still be easily turned into a profit venture.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    which would more reasonably also mean they can remove the non-functional and vestigal Faction systems
    Nothing about the in-game factions is non-functional or vestigial.
    That's technically correct (the best kind of correct). All the various faction restrictions on teaming, mission gameplay, social zones, clothes, ships, etc are as fully functional as ever.

However, they are unnecessary if not outright counterproductive, as well as badly out of date with the story developments for several years. So they should be removed.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    makbure wrote: »
    Maybe sector space gets nuked and bridge navigation via ship interiors that look liked they actually spent some time on them becomes the new way to 'explore' space, sector and beyond. .
    This game isn't going to turn in to Bridge Commander was something he basically outright said. So it's probably not that.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Here are some ideas of various levels of outlandishness:

Galactic Union
    The faction splits are removed. We're all officially one big happy family now.
    That might be more a story-telling conceit then anything else, though. I have my doubts that suddenly Federation characters can play Klingon ships and vice versa. But I won't discount the possibility. Romulan Republic and Jem'Hadar characters can already use (almost) all ships of their allied faction.

Graphics or UI Overhaul
    A big graphics or UI overhaul. The game probably could benefit from one, and it would be face-changing. But Al seems to suggest the change is story-based, and the UI and the graphics are orthogonal to story development.

Exploration Content
    Maybe due to story events a new region of space becomes interesting to explore, and so they build an expansion around exploration. That doesn't have to mean procedurally created. It could just mean that the story missions will be about getting to know new aliens and the like (and shooting them up, possibly, this is still a game). Biggest argument here is that Cryptic is very conservative in introducing completely new races.

Something that players consider a minor change
    The developers have a good idea of how much work goes into whatever they are doing. We only see the aftereffect, and we don't always think of them as big deal, even if technically, they were.

---

FOr something completely different: FCT threads particularly exist because Cryptic is aware of a topic, but know they won't do it at this time. Further discussions will be kinda pointless, they won't reveal or achieve anything new. That doesn't mean that things in the FCT thread won't change at some point, but the change will not come from player requests, but because new technological or contractual possibilities arose.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.