test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should cryptic add more known ships instead of brand new ones?

jacobbpedersenjacobbpedersen Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Hi all, with the relatively new release of the New Orleans class in STO, I began wondering g if cryptic should work on ships that although are not prominent in shows, movies, and books, are still trek canon. Examples of such could be the Norway class, Springfield class, and others. There aren't too many but I feel it would be nice to have all canon ships along with their all new designs. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing as to why these ships aren't here and if the community agrees with this.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jacobbpedersenjacobbpedersen Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    The Norway class in particular is one of my fav designs and would love it in-game
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I've been waiting for the Niagara and Freedom Classes for quite some time, both of which have been on the Future Content page for years.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Norway is in game.. asa variant of the akira
    Spock.jpg

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    To see which variants already exist: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Playable_starship
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The Norway specifically isn't actually in game. We have the Oslo, which is a variant based on the Norway.

Anyways Cryptic has expressed interest in getting more canon ships into the game, which should include the rest of the Wolf 359 fleet. The Norway might be tricky due to RL stuff involving the original model being lost after First Contact. While some other games have made the Norway, they've all had some variation,
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Would love to see the Federation class in game.

The Federation class is a no go due to legal ownership of the design. Pretty much anything from the Technical Manual, like the Federation class, is owned by Franz Joseph. Not CBS. It was a nightmare to get the Vesta in game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Depends on how good the canon ships look. If they are just kitbashes of other ship parts, like FASA did basically, then no. We are many years forward of TNG/VOY/DS9 so ships should look like they belong to whatever faction, but there should be design evolution, imo.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I agree, Duasyn. the romulan dyson destroyer, the faeht warbird and a few others are great designs that show good evolution from the Nemisis warbirds
    Spock.jpg

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Im pretty sure they have already dont most of the Klingon, Romulan and Dominion ships, so while i wouldn't mind some "modern" takes on the canon ships they haven't done yet(please just two and occasional three nacell designs, stop with the four and please NO one nacell ships.... well you wont get money from me for them anyways..i guess there are those who want them) i'd much rather they try to bring a bit of balance the the other faction and the non fed mini factions. Letting us use the main faction ships for roms and jem's helps with admiralty, but i'd like to see more unique ships....
    First of all... Star Trek is 99% Fed centric, so naturally there is A LOT to draw from Fed side for design inspiration. Less so for other factions. Klingons are next, followed by Romulans, and Dominion is kinda dead last.

Second, there is no Romulan or Dominion content from the Discovery era. Its all Fed and KDF. So naturally there will be nothing Romulan because they won't be seen for "another 10 years", which falls into the TOS era. Dominion isn't seen until the 24th Century.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    "insult", lol no.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Don't derail the thread with ROM/DOM ship angst, please.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'll be happy with a T6 Nova and T6 Saber
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Wow. That's a new level of edge there. The Burnham Show! I bet that took all night to think up pig-21.gif.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      azrael605 wrote: »
      Not really sure what you mean since there haven't been any non-canon ships released lately.

LOL this is the truth!
      XzRTofz.gif
    This discussion has been closed.