test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
So in episode 414 of Priority One Podcast
http://priorityonepodcast.com/po414/
Beginning around 1:12:30, Al Rivera makes the comment of
"Next year's story arc, its more then just a story arc, its going to change the face of the game.... I'm not going to play 100 questions with you on what is going to change, but we are changing something significant in the game as a result of the arc we are telling and how it will... I mean its not like hey we are on Nintendo now kind of changing the game kind of thing or now you have bridge commander gameplay, but there is a significant change to the game, and I think we are hoping to make a group of players that have been unhappy, happy."

So what do you think it will be? Some sort of exploration system? A PVP revamp? What group of players that might be unhappy do you think they will be making happy next year?

Other interesting but unrelated bits of info
-Al once again made the remake of Cryptic only having one or two major story ideas left for STO before the arrival of all these new Trek shows gave them more to work with.
-They do plan to rework the Reputation system, and several other game systems, to streamline them and reduce the bloat.
-They already have another Trek actor on the books for a future mission.
-They have some crazy *computer beeping* planned for the 10th anniversary.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    To the best of my knowledge, the most unhappy groups are people who want exploration and people who want PvP.

I honestly don't see them putting those resources into PvP, I just don't see the return on investment being there, so I am leaning toward some type of exploration system which would be highly welcomed.

Good to hear that there is another Trek Actor coming on board at some point, the recent work with the DS9 and Discovery cast has been some of the best work they have ever done. Overall, the story arcs have been highly satisfying and I look forward to that trend continuing going forward.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I honestly don't see them putting those resources into PvP, I just don't see the return on investment being there, so I am leaning toward some type of exploration system which would be highly welcomed.
    I see it the opposite way TBH.

Appeasing the "exploration" group would require developments in procedural generation technology that simply don't exist, and probably wont exist for another decade. There would be a much worse ROI in trying to do exploration because they would be dumping money into something that is largely unfeasible to begin with.

PVP on the other hand, while it may have the smaller of the two fanbases, is actually something that is technically doable with the available tech in the industry in general. PVP would probably be the better investment because its actually something accomplishable.

A PvP revamp would not 'change the face of the game' though, not even close. I think it's pretty safe to assume that's not what he's talking about. It would have to be something that would be significant to the game overall which is why I am leaning toward something exploration based.

Neither one of us have any idea how that would be implemented, there is no way of knowing right now how Cryptic plans to accomplish this, assuming that the guess is even right.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baldrick8baldrick8 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    While PvP enthusiasts have been neglected for some time and surely qualify as a 'group of players', it's probably too small a minority.

Personally, I'd be happy with some sort of exploration system in the game but that'd be a tall order technologically.

Who else has been unhappy for quite some time - Non-Fed players?
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Could it be a revamp to how team play is handled in the game, and even to some degree how ships an careers work. A shift to make team play more important an content that emphasis the need for team play, not just something like the trinity but just that it is less about damage an more about the group working together to progress the mission i mean could be quite a big change to the face of the game. Also seeing some changes to the end-game to be less of just a grind for gear thru doing stfs alone, and more large scale fleet based combat that might take some ques from raids an larger scale conflicts could also change the face of the game. Yet that statement the dev made is just vague an open ended enough that almost anything could fit that has been neglected, and has alot of people that enjoy it.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    No idea what it'll be but certainly is interesting. Thanks for posting the info.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    a group of players that are unhappy? which group?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I hope the "another trek actor" is Patrick Stewart.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Al Rivera makes the comment of: "Next year's story arc, its more then just a story arc, its going to change the face of the game.... "

So what do you think it will be? Some sort of exploration system? A PVP revamp? What group of players that might be unhappy do you think they will be making happy next year?
    A new splash screen. Probably one with dutch angles and excessive lens flares.

thay8472 wrote: »
    Neglected fans of the Terran Empire and the Borg.

Next year will be the BIGGEST EVENT EVER: the Terran Emperor vs the Borg Queen in a deadly cage match.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Hmmm Mirror Borg crossover to escape the wrath of the Terran Empire? They then bump into the Prime Borg and quickly assimilate there way across the DQ.

The Alliance must then beg for the Terran Empire to help them? :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Hmmm Mirror Borg crossover to escape the wrath of the Terran Empire? They then bump into the Prime Borg and quickly assimilate there way across the DQ.

The Alliance must then beg for the Terran Empire to help them? :D

It would be nice if we meet our counterparts
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      T6 Typhoon Class?​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      Maybe they're trying to hype up the return of romulans ships.

Giving us something to do to help fight the torrent of R&D mats that doesn't involve the current timesinky nonsense.

Or maybe simply a move away from the mindset that ships=content.
    • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

Everyone will be flying a Tier 6 reskinned Nova that expansion simply because no other ships will be available.
      This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
      edited May 2019
      They will move on from Discovery related content to Picard related content. A respective new loading screen will change the face of the game and make players who have been unhappy with Discovery stuff happy.

I can assure everybody it will be a totally different game. :p
      animated.gif
      Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
      felisean wrote: »
      teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
      yeah, I can't think anything they would actually do that would change the face of the game, so just trying to build hype?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
      Either a return of exploration content or a return of a new version of the foundary.
    • heler1701heler1701 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      Change the "face" of the game. Not the game itself
      To me - that may mean the "look" of the game.
      Port to a new engine, maybe. Newer graphics?
      And I would think that is they are talking about something that is game wide, its not going to be something mid to high end only. Level 1 to 65 all inclusive...
    • stostargatewarsstostargatewars Member Posts: 179 Arc User
      Well mid 2020 is the next expansion release if they follow past releases.
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      A PvP revamp wouldn't be part of the story, so it's probably not that. They're definitely not going to make any kind of faction war since we've already seen the future, the factions are going to stay united.

Exploration it could well be.

I'm rooting for defactionalization.
    • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
      yeah competitive rep was for pvp and it attempted to force pvp as far as I think they would be willing to go.

i'd love to see it be exploration.

but maybe more klingon stuff. they've been pretty unhappy.
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
      The current Discovery arc has been about building up this idea of J'Ula as a new threat in 2410, which we haven't seen yet. My bet is a coming Klingon Civil War, which destabilizes the Alliance.
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
      Hmm... Something to change the face of the game?

A new game engine perhaps? Or, STO 2?
    • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
      The current Discovery arc has been about building up this idea of J'Ula as a new threat in 2410, which we haven't seen yet. My bet is a coming Klingon Civil War, which destabilizes the Alliance.

Which would make the "upset players" the non-Fed ones who are annoyed that everything is either Fed or multi-faction stuff? /hmm

----
      "Change the face of the game"

It's all been just a dream, and your characters are actually TV studio execs trying to manage a long-running franchise across multiple media! TV Studio Sim 2020! :D
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      There's still Killy to hunt down
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
        kiralyn wrote: »

Which would make the "upset players" the non-Fed ones who are annoyed that everything is either Fed or multi-faction stuff? /hmm
        If they did start faction-locking content, which I seriously hope they never do, it would most likely still favor Fed. The "unprofitable" faction would just be forbidden from playing it.

It would, after all, be a stupid move to appease the few klingon players who complain about the faction agnostic content being "too Fed" at the expense of upsetting the Fed majority who like the content and don't want releases slowed to a crawl by splitting them between factions.
      • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
        Don't get your hopes up too high. I doubt that most of us will consider a change this late in the game that major.
        My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
      This discussion has been closed.