test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Client crashing upon opening

Before today's update, STO was working fine for me, and now it keeps crashing right after the cryptic logo loading screen. Please fix this ASAP as I am unable to play at all until this is fixed.

Comments

• jonnyne21jonnyne21 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I, too, am getting this. I've restarted my computer, reinstalled STO. Nothing stops it from crashing. I get to the Splash screen, then crash.
  • scotty74321scotty74321 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    To add to this , I played STO about 2 hours ago 18.00 uk time , just came back to re log on 20.00 Uk time , the game client screen has updated to show ORIGIN something , but on three attempts to launch the game its giving CRYPTIC oop something went wrong and this ERROR:
    Unrecognized command "(null)" (did you mean "-(null)"?)
    Line: C:\src\libs\UtilitiesLib\utils\cmdparse.c(2802)

So what happend in the space of 90 mins to stop the game client launching and what causes that error message. This is a fresh install , I received the new pre-update patch last week with no issues and yesterdays patch and launch and played no problem up till earlier till the aforementioned.
    Laddy, don't you think you should... rephrase that??
  • burnhamquinn#8863 burnhamquinn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I too am facing these issues... EVERYTIME I login within three minutes (at best) of logging in the game crashes... doesn't matter if I am playing an episode, am in a TFO queue, am in sector space attending my inventory, reputation section, ship or character, or going to a location non the sector map... the game crashes... tried uninstalling the game and doing a clean install, after which it does it again... I have enough time to refine my daily dilthium amount, but aside from that, the game is all-but bricked for me until this is fixed.
  • ps1701ps1701 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I was having the same thing, turning off lighting 2.0 fixed it for now.... waiting until after the patch to see if they fixed whatever the cause is before I try turning it back on.
  • stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Turning off Lighting 2.0 fixed the issue for me as well!! No more crashes........as yet. :smile:
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
    I tried again after yesterdays patch, with 2.0 back on. It worked for a few minutes until I got into a fight, then crashed again. Then, I left 2.0 on, but turned off dynamic lighting, and it worked for over an hour (the rest of the time I was going to play) without crashing. In case this helps anyone, dev's or players.

I'm running an intel I7 processor, on an Nvidia based GPU, 16 GB of system memory
    Update, got on tonight with same settings and froze after about a minute while buying some duty officers on the exchange - so back to off for lighting 2.0. All drivers for PC up to date, full file check run on STO, was working fine with everything on before Tuesdays patch.
  • tuna2natunatuna2natuna Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    On PS4, after I choose "Change Character" and click on the character I want, it crashes...
    But today, as of the update, it crashes when I choose my character EVERY TIME, meaning that I cannot play at all. It gives me a CE-38700-8 error, whatever that is.

Help?
  • burnhamquinn#8863 burnhamquinn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    UPDATE: not quite as bad as last time I posted, and one update it was gone completely, but after the May 23rd update the mysterious crash returned. Happens now every time I try any kind of TFO queue, as well as occasionally in various places when entering and/or leaving a map. Can conduct non-major gameplay (like tasking DOFFs, starting Admiralty and R&D tasks, walking around, basic ground combat, but anything utilizing recent additions to the game is an instant crash, or worse yet, a freeze mid-queue and then crash, its almost become an AFK penalty generator bot at this point.
  • bjdk03bjdk03 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I can not even get in to the game to aler any setings, to make matters worse, i can not seam to get connected to the Support website... makes me mad
    Still going on for me whenever lighting 2.0 is running, and strangely now I can't even make adjustments to brightness anymore with it off, so everything is dark. It all started with the patch that made the the last 2 new episodes live. I'm running an nvidia geforce 770 GTX, using the last drivers before the patch to make it compatible with the 1903 windows patch. Those drivers actually won't work with 1903, that they were designed for, so I can't go higher until Nvidia puts out another version. If I try to install those the graphics card fails in windows, and the only way to get your card working again is to install an earlier driver. I'm wondering if something STO did for 1903 (Windows May feature update) is causing an issue in a similar way - though I had the problems before I updated to 1903 as well.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    ps1701 wrote: »
    Still going on for me whenever lighting 2.0 is running, and strangely now I can't even make adjustments to brightness anymore with it off, so everything is dark. It all started with the patch that made the the last 2 new episodes live. I'm running an nvidia geforce 770 GTX, using the last drivers before the patch to make it compatible with the 1903 windows patch. Those drivers actually won't work with 1903, that they were designed for, so I can't go higher until Nvidia puts out another version. If I try to install those the graphics card fails in windows, and the only way to get your card working again is to install an earlier driver. I'm wondering if something STO did for 1903 (Windows May feature update) is causing an issue in a similar way - though I had the problems before I updated to 1903 as well.

Go to option, select the display tab and click the calibration brightness screen button and follow the instruction. Your settings got reset.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • allredalphaallredalpha Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I had this issue as well, fix for me was to turn off Riva tuner "RTSS"
    No luck on the brightness in lighting 1.0, I can adjust the calibration screen all the way in either direction and nothing happens. I can only get brighter by adjusting my monitor itself. Crashes are still happening with lighting 2.0 with the newest Nvidia driver released last night. I don't have RTSS, I tried turning off the framerate stabilization in game with no luck, and tried various settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. No joy.
  • michlomichlo Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Switching off lighting 2 seems to have done the trick for me too.

I just returned after four years away and have a much more powerful machine this time so I was quite disappointed to have this happening. No other game has such issues on my system.
  • arryndelarryndel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I just decided to reinstall the game last night, installed on Steam but when I tried to play the game kept crashing at the loading screen.

I uninstalled from Steam and installed with Arc, same issue. I've tried verifying the files multiple times, tried running in safe mode, made sure my vid drivers are up to date, made sure no other programs were running at the same time, even monitored my memory and other systems during the loading process, but I can't seem to find what is causing the game to crash during the initial load screen.

The last time I played the game was on this same system I'm on now and I didn't have these issues back then. Any ideas?
    For some reason my laptop did this when I had a second screen plugged in unless it was mirrored, not spanning between the screens, and I had to go full screen. If on a single screen or mirrored, and full screen, it was fine.