test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Caitian's Home world clothing for civilians and national defense forces. (prier to joining STF)

lordakuralordakura Member Posts: 62 Arc User
what would they look like? and would it be possible for the team to come up with something? as a Caitian player , would love some clothing from their homeworld and im sure others too
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I'm actually surprised they haven't done any of this yet. Especially with more Caitian ships being available.

I guess they're sticking with the major Fed member races for now.
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    I would have expected a bigger role in the canon myself tbh. They were in the Wrath of Khan and of course, M'rell in the Animated Series. It's not like they're new like some of the TNG/VGR races.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    We know next to nothing about what catians clothes that aren't starfleet uniforms look like. With vulcans, andorians and tellarites we've seen their civilian members. Remember that TAS or the EU aren't part of Cryptic's license.

So any catian clothes would have to be Cryptic creations, which would take more time to make then canon outfits.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I'm pretty sure that Cryptic has access to TAS, they just don't use it much since they can't replicate the visuals from it. But even then there isn't any material for civilian Caitian outfits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    siotaylor wrote: »
    I would have expected a bigger role in the canon myself tbh. They were in the Wrath of Khan and of course, M'rell in the Animated Series. It's not like they're new like some of the TNG/VGR races.

Actually, her name was M'ress.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I've been a caitian player since I started STO years and years ago.

Having the homeworld would be awesome, and more ships as well, but what I want to see most at the moment is the option to play a TOS caitian. I really hate that TOS start only allows you to play human, andorian, vulcan, or tellarite - M'ress alone should be enough influence for TOS caitians.

They also need more aesthetic options. We have very limited hairstyle and customization options for Caitians. Again, citing M'ress as an example, why dont we have the full/long hair option for caitian females? All we get are ponytails in 3 mediocre variations, or short/"bald" hairstyles. The options are pathetic.

I'm also still waiting on a T6 atrox =/
  • Options
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Actually, her name was M'ress.​​

You're right! I sit corrected.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    This is incorrect. Cryptic themselves have said TAS is part of their license, and some elements of TAS have been used in-game. They just don't use a lot of it because it's considered too "out there", and a few elements, like the Kzinti, can't be used due to extra licensing reasons. But TAS in general is something they can use.
    I'm still waiting for my giant inflatable Enterprise that comes out the aft end of the Enterprise.
  • Options
    kavolkavol Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Having the homeworld would be awesome
    I would suspect the reason why it isn't in-game is simply because its so far outside the game map they can't just nudge it in like they did with Iconia, Nimbus, and Romulus.

The most likely reason. As much as I'd love to see Cait, it's in the deep galactic south of the Alpha Quadrant and is right on the border of Tholian Assembly space. If they ever added Tholian space, we'd probably see Cait appear too. Unlikely though as Tholians are highly territorial so they'd have to think of a reason for us to be allowed to fly through their space.
    sto-large.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I actually started a thread weeks ago asking for Caitian uniforms.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    ever since i found out what ground weapons ferasans use (railgun type pistols) i have had both my caitian and ferasan captains use them.

I would love a visit to their home and maybe even some uniforms but while cryptic sticks with milking on discovery it wont happen.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I always wondered what the point of the Alpha Quadrant expansion was. Aside from two systems that already existed in the slightly squished map, and the foundry which doesn't exist any more, there's no point to it, and the systems are way more sparse than in the Beta Quadrant. They added Ferasa and never did anything with it. I wonder if they would possibly do something similar with Cait since it's apparently close enough to be easy for it to be a member world of the Federation but still supposedly super duper far off. I mean, DOff missions involving the planet itself are pretty common, so it can't be that far away.

Not like there's any point though. Just like Ferasa, it would probably just be plopped in and never ever touched again. Depressing since there's plenty of potential in exploring member worlds and dealing with internal conflicts for once.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Depressing since there's plenty of potential in exploring member worlds and dealing with internal conflicts for once.

Internal conflicts however would be somewhat restricted to the respective faction. Even with the Alliance, I doubt any SF member would call in the Gorn or Remans to help them, and vice versa. So it would be content for a limited player base which I doubt we'll see anymore (outside of tutorials for new mini factions).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    had no idea so many loved M'ress's race this is awesome! as for a reason for them to travel threw tholian space, it could be for diplomatic reasons? remember one of the episodes we were fighting a war and the tholians were actually good guys for once.
    Post edited by lordakura on
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,506 Arc User

The fact that they are often considered a sort of TOS/TAS background race could be part of the reason they are getting so little attention. While TOS is the usual target of the weird phenomenon of "TOS contempt", TAS actually gets it worse (sometimes even from TOS fans) since it was a Saturday morning cartoon. It is a shame since animation is not necessarily "kid stuff" like so many seem to think and TAS has some good ideas underneath the poor production values common in animation at the time.

STO has to sneak TAS stuff in the back door mostly, like the ship holodisguise idea that originally came from Kukulkan's ship, and a few other things. In fact, I suspect that the devs did not put in big hair for Caitians because it only appeared in TAS, all the other appearances had little or no hair, only fur.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

The fact that they are often considered a sort of TOS/TAS background race could be part of the reason they are getting so little attention. While TOS is the usual target of the weird phenomenon of "TOS contempt", TAS actually gets it worse (sometimes even from TOS fans) since it was a Saturday morning cartoon. It is a shame since animation is not necessarily "kid stuff" like so many seem to think and TAS has some good ideas underneath the poor production values common in animation at the time.

STO has to sneak TAS stuff in the back door mostly, like the ship holodisguise idea that originally came from Kukulkan's ship, and a few other things. In fact, I suspect that the devs did not put in big hair for Caitians because it only appeared in TAS, all the other appearances had little or no hair, only fur.
    to be honest a version of a holodisguise does appear in ENT in form of the Holocloak.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    > @lordakura said:
    > had no idea so many loved M'ress's race this is awesome! as for a reason for them to travel threw tholian space, it could be for diplomatic reasons? remember one of the episodes we were righting a war and the tholians were actually good guys for once.

The Tholians are never "bad guys" really. They are isolationist and xenophobic, because they consider themselves the guardians of time and don't trust anybody else with these things. They are a race unlike all the others and have no desire to conquer or even inhabit the same space as carbon based life forms.

Basically, Tholians leave you alone if you don't mess with them. They frequently cooperate if necessary and have ambassadors and diplomatic relations with other groups (although those are quite cold, naturally)

I actually wonder whether Tholians and Sheliak have closer ties or even hate each other even more than the "organics".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kavolkavol Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    On the subject of Tholians' general oddness, I vaguely remember one of the books saying there's a theory the Tholians are not actually from our reality at all. But yeah they don't really want to conquer, they're just a sleeping dragon you really don't want to poke. It won't chase you, but it'll bite your hand off.
    sto-large.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    basically, the tholian assembly in that particular bit of lore is, to use a transformers term, a multiversal singularity​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    does anyone have any idea on outfits? i was what about something like the outfits from Avatar? not the actual clothing but the look of it for their home?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if the planet of cait is anything like elsweyr terrain-wise...just look at what khajiit wear in elder scrolls and use that as a starting point​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    if the planet of cait is anything like elsweyr terrain-wise...just look at what khajiit wear in elder scrolls and use that as a starting point​​

Or the ship's cat from Red Dwarf... yeah maybe not...
    But I'd think bright colours, loose clothes like robes... and dark, stealthy, tight stuff for military/uniforms... reflecting that while cats love to preen and be seen to look good, they also like comfort, and they like to stalk their prey (see also the stalker fighter).
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Or the ship's cat from Red Dwarf... yeah maybe not...

Or maybe yes.

Colour coordinated internal organs.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.