test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unplayable levels of bad lag?

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    weather
    No effect on your connection if your internet connection is via copper/coax/fiber unless damage to infrastructure is involved. For players way off the beaten path using something over the air perhaps... but even where I live that has many rural areas the vast majority of these old systems have long since been replaced... this would include twisted pair with paper insulation.

If you're still on open wire please post a photo :smile:

Bad weather does keep a lot of people inside though, so if your local node is under-provisioned your connection speed may go down.
  • alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I also get lot's of lag / rubberbanding now. I did a trace, both to google as to cryptics patchservers. Google is giving between 12 and 13 ms per hop, but with cryptics patchservers it's a whole other thing. Than I get 86-113ms per hop, as soon as it's going to the US.

I think it's clear that it is either on cryptics side or the content delivery network, and it has nothing to do on the side of the users or their ISPs.
  • ikial2ikial2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The game is so laggy. Not all of my weapons show up / work all the time. It's ridiculous that is doesn't work.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That's not what happened to me earlier, and I was playing in a thunderstorm.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Yay! Another lag thread. /Merge
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Are you using cel based internet Mark? I had an friend in-game who would fade away during thunderstorms as well.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Are you using cel based internet Mark? I had an friend in-game who would fade away during thunderstorms as well.
    Not sure what the ISP around here uses for a trunk, but maybe.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Was on Kobali yesterday. I never had that much rubber banding at the same time and place ever in 7 years of STO. The kills I needed to get there for my endeavor were a pain. :s

Rest of the game was lag free for me until I did some ISA later in the evening. Most players in team had DC and lag problems then as well, including me.

Due to the nature of the problems turning up in certain hotspots or areas of the game for the most part I guess this is clearly a server sided issue, perhaps an ability related one.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I was on Kobali the night before and the lag there was very bad. TFOs don't seem to have a problem, except that the dopey starting Briefing in SB1 was slow in popping last night.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    Gave my trace logs to mod, but mines always timing out on step 11.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing terrible lag? Like utterly atrocious lag? Trying to do Kobali ground zone and its literally unplayable. Rubber banding, freezing, skipping, enemies not registering hits. All of the above. Run all the tests on my end, 250 mbs down 20mbs up for me. Only game that lags on my PC.

Same here. Its so bad I rubber banded back from every single person I tried to interact with.

So it really was unaplayable, I haven't tried to go back since which is a shame because had a number of things I needed to do there.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I needed some Iconian marks, so played through the end content on ground. The lag was pretty annoying, but it wasn't unplayable, just annoying.

I really didn't want to do any of the Iconian TFOs today.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > I needed some Iconian marks, so played through the end content on ground. The lag was pretty annoying, but it wasn't unplayable, just annoying.
    >
    > I really didn't want to do any of the Iconian TFOs today.

You've pretty much repeated yourself four times in the thread now. We understand that it's not affecting you too badly.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    it's not just STO. Neverwinter is so bad in social areas the game is a bear just to move. I think they just dropped a big update over there so the server is being pulled down on both games
    Spock.jpg

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    I needed some Iconian marks, so played through the end content on ground. The lag was pretty annoying, but it wasn't unplayable, just annoying.

Kobali is manageable if you are in a low populated instance. If you get in one with 20+ players you're in for a bad time. :disappointed:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

Kobali is manageable if you are in a low populated instance. If you get in one with 20+ players you're in for a bad time. :disappointed:

it just seems a bit that there is the "hit max buffs cap per map" issue again we had in the past. something cryptic really need to look into again.
    the lag defnitly feels like the last time this happens, not as bad as it was at the end so far but stil noticable
    felisean wrote: »
    it just seems a bit that there is the "hit max buffs cap per map" issue again we had in the past.

Yep, this is my suspicion as well.
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User

These are to funny> there's always 2% of the population that claims there is some force stopping them in game.

Maybe the internet is not perfect..or you live in Kentucky !

Low end graphic cards cause server delay on your own side>that is not sto's fault
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    powskier wrote: »

These are to funny> there's always 2% of the population that claims there is some force stopping them in game.

Low end graphic cards cause server delay on your own side>that is not sto's fault

While that might be true for some, that many people are seeing a lot of lag in the Kobali ground battlezone, shows that there is a problem specific to that zone. After all, this was also the place that had the non-existent bridge officers bug many months ago.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited May 2019

Ok, I'll play along. What part of my system do you think is causing my lag? My 1.32V i7 8700k clocked @ 5.0GHZ? My GTX 1080Ti Card? The fact that I only have 16GB of RAM? Or maybe it's my pathetically slow internet?

Yeah, try again.

There is a definite server issue, there was no lag whatsoever 2 weeks ago. And no, I didn't move to Kentucky in that time but nice toll post.

Ok, I'll play along. What part of my system do you think is causing my lag? My 1.32V i7 8700k clocked @ 5.0GHZ? My GTX 1080Ti Card? The fact that I only have 16GB of RAM? Or maybe it's my pathetically slow internet?

Yeah, try again.

There is a definite server issue, there was no lag whatsoever 2 weeks ago. And no, I didn't move to Kentucky in that time but nice toll post.

xD Yeah, almost same specs here. Can always count on the trolls showing up.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
    Maybe the internet is not perfect.. or you live in Kentucky !
    One of my best and oldest friends in-game lives in Kentucky. Whenever the power goes out in a storm he hooks his truck up to an inverter so he can keep playing STO.

If you're saying that folks from Kentucky are some of the kindest folks around who are also very adept at preparing for things we're in complete agreement :smile:
    Played a round of ISA this morning and the lag was so bad I could barely even fight. Spent most of the match skipping around and watching abilities go on cooldown and not activate. Even the sounds were lagging.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    This is 100% not our own internet connections or related to server population either as it happens constantly even when the server population is at the lowest point. Well I am sure there are a few cases where it is down to the players own internet but on the whole its not.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I'm having lag between loading screens lately. It'll be 100% and still take time to transition. Then when I do get where I'm going it takes several more seconds to register that I'm there.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    the Trace route to Cryptic looks bad but better than a couple days ago, and I am pinging from the Dallas Metro area at 85ms on a Frontier Fiber internet connection.
This discussion has been closed.