test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Ship of the Dead is Missing Something...

(If this topic has come up before, apologies in advance. Moving on...)

While I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of Discovery being pre-TOS (just because TOS was in the 60s and special effects technology has advanced since then, that's no excuse to throw the TOS aesthetic out the airlock), I found that it wasn't half bad - this coming from a guy who had previously said he wouldn't watch it for all the tea in Boston Harbor. My main complaint is that the Klingons speak like they're gargling Jell-O. I mean, Klingon is a very phlegmy language, but not THAT bad...anyway. (I'm not going to hop onto the "don't look like Klingons" bandwagon, that targ's been beaten to death already.)

It's also given me an appreciation for the Sarcophagus, mainly because it's the ship that my KDF main currently flies - I got it the choice box from an Infinity pack, debated getting the Crossfield for my AoD character, then figured I spoiled my Feds enough. And I have no regrets; it turns like a whale, but I like it nonetheless. There is just one thing missing, and it's a rather glaring omission: WHERE IS MY THRONE ROOM?! (Otherwise known as the Sarcophagus' bridge.) It just feels wrong having to use another bridge on a ship fit for a king, y'know?
TW1sr57.jpg
"There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    LOL! You are funny. :)

I like the Bortasqu' bridge, if there is no Sarcophagus bridge made, yet...use that one if you have access. I have not seen much of Discovery, so I have no idea what it is supposed to look like.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »

While I'm still not entirely sold on the idea of Discovery being pre-TOS (just because TOS was in the 60s and special effects technology has advanced since then, that's no excuse to throw the TOS aesthetic out the airlock), I found that it wasn't half bad - this coming from a guy who had previously said he wouldn't watch it for all the tea in Boston Harbor. My main complaint is that the Klingons speak like they're gargling Jell-O. I mean, Klingon is a very phlegmy language, but not THAT bad...anyway. (I'm not going to hop onto the "don't look like Klingons" bandwagon, that targ's been beaten to death already.)

It's also given me an appreciation for the Sarcophagus, mainly because it's the ship that my KDF main currently flies - I got it the choice box from an Infinity pack, debated getting the Crossfield for my AoD character, then figured I spoiled my Feds enough. And I have no regrets; it turns like a whale, but I like it nonetheless. There is just one thing missing, and it's a rather glaring omission: WHERE IS MY THRONE ROOM?! (Otherwise known as the Sarcophagus' bridge.) It just feels wrong having to use another bridge on a ship fit for a king, y'know?

I agree. I myself use a Sarcophagus as my main KDF toon's flagship, and i was kinda disappointed by the absence of an actual Sarcophagus bridge, while the Crossfield class that was released in the same lockbox eventually got a canonically-accurate bridge with the release of AoD.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Really do hope they add a Sarcophagus Bridge since ALL the other Discovery ships got their bridges now.

(And I have no regrets; it turns like a whale, but I like it nonetheless.
    If your feeling adventurous you can do like I have and go cannons/turrets and slap on the trait "Advanced Firing Solutions" from the Qib Intel battlecruiser and BAM, you got +10 extra turn rate and the ability to point your guns at pretty much anything you want. :)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,382 Arc User

Discovery is in the period between Enterprise and TOS, it is not really pre-TOS. Enterprise was the prequel to TOS. I have never understood the aesthetic argument. We are in the year 2018 and not the 60s and no the aesthetic has not been thrown out there are still elements that connect it to TOS like the communicators and even the transporter effects. I am still waiting for a better argument for that position and I have read several of them. Though I do not like holes in ships like in the Crossfield, Vengeance, etc. Also, believe that the nacelles need to be shorter and not as long as they are currently, unless that is a problem with the STO model (I am not an expert on such matters). I watched the pilot episode and still don't understand the argument that the Klingons speak like they are gargling jello. As for the throne room on the Sarcophagus ship, maybe that will come in January along with season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,632 Arc User
    Hopefully one of the forth-coming AoD missions uses the Sarc bridge, since making a mission with a bridge means they can more easily justify modeling it with porting it over as bridge, and then we can finally have it.
    Really do hope they add a Sarcophagus Bridge since ALL the other Discovery ships got their bridges now.

(And I have no regrets; it turns like a whale, but I like it nonetheless.
    If your feeling adventurous you can do like I have and go cannons/turrets and slap on the trait "Advanced Firing Solutions" from the Qib Intel battlecruiser and BAM, you got +10 extra turn rate and the ability to point your guns at pretty much anything you want. :)

I'm of the opinion that only the Competitive Wargames Engines can make it work well enough to be useful. I tried every trick I knew to get the gargantuan ship to move while grinding up for those, and I was just about to shelve it and only bring it out if RP struck my fancy. Qib Trait, EPtE, Emergency Conn Officer, Aux2DAMP w/extend DOff, Polaric Modulator, Conductive RCS [Turn] MK XIV UR, Cannon crafting trait, Advanced Engines Rep Trait and on to no avail... Finally got the Prevailing Fortified Impulse Engine, and it's suddenly an entirely new ship. I actually backed off some of the turnrate boosts after those.
  • volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    2019 and still. There is no Sarcophagus bridge! I come on Gagarin bridge and "voilà"... DSC bridge here. I go to Qugh's bridge and nothing. I think Cryptic don't like klingons cos they bring little money and it's very sad
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,210 Community Moderator
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.