test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on Impossibility of Reason

xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,091 Arc User
I seem to be unable to find the official feedback thread, my apologies. Feel free to move and merge this where it belongs.

Great story, great planet, great story, good characters (although Griefing Landry is overdoing it a bit IMO), and can we talk a moment about the ground setting please? Phantastic graphics. The monsters of the week just being reskinned friends we know from Nimbus is a small letdown. I am also not sure how this one will hold up in replays - without the story it may be rather short and the fumeral blobbies might get a bit annoying, but the first impression is great. Did I mention the graphics? I also liked the small detail that Th'Pev looked straight at us instead of slightly sideways in the last conversation window, emphasizing what's happening.
My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
«13

Comments

  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 4,695 Arc User
    The enviromentals were pretty epic...hope this means they will update Q's WW map! Agree with everything you said....just loved it all.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • nonokononoko Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    At least you are able to finish it, I can't progress past defending the cave.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,624 Arc User
    Re. mission: *Claps*
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Mission seems good so far, but one little comment...

    You seriously named that shuttle "USS Caravan"? It needs a fake Dodge logo on the front of it for that. ;)

    j/k ;):D

    Nitpick: The 'emergency supplies' costume overlay clips with the 235d century miniskirt uniform.

    Nitpick #2: Did the Aehallah worms and Attendants/Dewan Arthropods need to be reused? ;)

    Nitpick #3: multiple times the game 'timed out' while playing new missions.

    Art team gets absolute kudos for the ground environments as always, fantastic work, some of the best in the game. And the new feature of being able to add a new costume over an old one IS neat, even if it clips. ;)​​
    Post edited by tasshena on
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    One thing I never have any issue with in STO.. it's the Art team.

    Man, when the cut scene ended after the shuttle crash.. I just kinda stood there for a minute and admired the landscape and the environmental details.

    Sometimes they do a really good job of making me forget that I am playing a game that is almost 10 years old. I also thought the facial animations were really well done, and the new jacket that you get looks nice too.

    Overall, I thought the entire mission was impressive but a huge kudos to the team(s) that did the environments and the animations. Very well done!
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,939 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    That mission was a great compliment to the story in ST: D Season 1 - we get to see how mirror Lorca entered the Prime universe and it was a really nice background story for the Landry character; and we even got some nicely done ancillary characters too.

    The thing that I found non-sequitur: The whole premise of the Shuttle trip is: Lorca is near death and needs way better medical facilities than the sick bay of my character's ship - yet:

    - He survives a nasty shuttle crash
    - Survives in a VERY harsh environment
    - Even manages to assist in some of the fighting and is able to run in the end

    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.
    Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    That mission was a great compliment to the story in SI: D Season 1 - we get to see how mirror Lorca entered the Prime universe and it was a really nice background story for the Landry character; and we even got some nicely done ancillary characters too.

    The thing that I found non-sequitur: The whole premise of the Shuttle trip is: Lorca is near death and needs way better medical facilities than the sick bay of my character's ship - yet:

    - He survives a nasty shuttle crash
    - Survives in a VERY harsh environment
    - Even manages to assist in some of the fighting and is able to run in the end

    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.

    And one more thing... why were we (player + away team) on the shuttle heading to the starbase hospital?
    Why did we leave our own ship when there are hostile klingons in the area!? :o
    I was expecting to watch the shuttle/ambulance leave the ship and continue 'the mission' but nope! I'm leaving my ship to fend for itself while me, my first officer, and my ship's doctor are taking up space in a shuttle! :D
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,500 Arc User
    Just.. wow. The planet was breathtaking. One of the best ground maps they ever made. The episode is up there with the very best the Gamma expansion had to offer, captivating and engaging. Very well done!
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Loved the mission, well thought out story. Timeouts aside, I thought it was great.

    Only a minor little nitpick. Why where the two gals using communicators , when they where like 10-15 yards apart? During the Bomb in the cavern scene. Not even a real nitpick I suppose, Considering that the sounds of combat may have been making it hard to hear, or possibly not wanting to give away positions.

    Just seemed odd to me at first.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    loved the mission but i was left a bit confused when did "prime" Lorca switch with "Terran" Lorca
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    jim625 wrote: »
    loved the mission but i was left a bit confused when did "prime" Lorca switch with "Terran" Lorca

    Right before the Buran explodes.

    He is accidentally transported aboard the Buran during the battle over Priors World, the ship blows up because Lorca destroys it. While he says it was to prevent his crew from being captured, it seems more likely that he was trying to cover up his swap with Prime Lorca. The destruction of the ship conveniently guarantees no witnesses.

    The Lorca you retrieve in the Escape Pod after the Buran is destroyed is Mirror Lorca just after his arrival.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,873 Arc User
    First cutscene should get triggered before we get into combat range 12-15km out rather than 5km away from the buran and 2 or more dead klink ships. Breaks continuity.

    The klinks obviously have tractor beams that work within the conditions over the planet so why not decloak and grab the shuttle instead of shooting it down.

    Map maker learned from pahvo and reduced the amount of foot trappy junk cluttering the ground. Console players will be pleased they don't have to face porting back to a crystal as they are forced to jump over pebbles.

    Andorian would probably have put a coat on anyway, not like being manly would impress the two ladies much.

    Bugs spawning out the mounds was kind of cool but laggy in so far as damage being done before they appear on screen, mounds also blended into the scenery pretty well rather than generic "ambush here" bumps. Although our resident studmuffin did kind of spoiler it. Way better spawning that the herd of mastiffs that magic out of the air later on.

    Kerwin didn't have to be "here" every hail did he? And holonovelist in a pre kirk era before the tech existed for the feds, does correct himself later using video instead of holo.

    Landry goes panicky at the sight of "big monster" and we don't take bits of it to eat because that wouldn't make sense when we still have protein gloop at camp. Not like we were out scavenging supplies at all.

    Klingons are so polite waiting for us to signal them instead of coming down to look for us the moment we crashed. Also immune to scalding hot mud.

    Overhangs are fine but if it borks line of sight it reduces the tactical advantages of using the highground. Continuity breaks when studmuffin is skewered by a curvy thing and then is seen with a smaller dagger in place of the wound. Also cutscene should have come just after we chat to lorca for better timing than while we run towards the cave entrance, I was still outside when it played.

    Not a bad mission, lot of running back and forth though. Was really hoping for a blizzard to roll in during that final section to mud pools and klink assault to add in some cool factor and reduce the in your face wave spawning. TRIBBLE angle wasn't too in your face, some games love to shove that to the fore which never serves to forward plot, the small nods were all that was needed and thats what they went for.
  • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    At the 'High Ground Ambush' part I half expected Landry or someone else to go "It's over Akaar! I have the high ground." Too soon?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,691 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    although Griefing Landry is overdoing it a bit IMO.
    I'm willing to forgive her acting a bit melodramatic seeing as she just saw people who she considered friends blow up with the Buran and as for the second part well she had just lost someone very important to her(in addition to what she endured already) so again it's forgiveble if she doesn't act quite rational.

    That said I liked the mission, nice story and certain shows why Landry would take an instant disliking to Burnham.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,604 Arc User
    My biggest issue with these new episodes is that my Captain is just a 'tag along'.

    The story isn't about him/her anymore, it's all about the Discovery characters.

    Now I understand these are holodeck recreations, but even so, I felt I could have just read the ops report and gotten more character growth for MY character. Because isn't that what this game is about? (Not watching NPCs do a bunch of stuff?)
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,091 Arc User
    Landry goes panicky at the sight of "big monster" and we don't take bits of it to eat because that wouldn't make sense when we still have protein gloop at camp. Not like we were out scavenging supplies at all.

    Continuity breaks when studmuffin is skewered by a curvy thing and then is seen with a smaller dagger in place of the wound.

    I think these two can be explained:

    (a) it is stated that anything above simple plant life may be dangerous to ingest

    (b) I understood it to not be a break of continuity but a break of curvy thing
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 56,107 Community Moderator
    Now I understand these are holodeck recreations, but even so, I felt I could have just read the ops report and gotten more character growth for MY character. Because isn't that what this game is about? (Not watching NPCs do a bunch of stuff?)

    Holodeck recreations for everyone but Discovery characters I believe. If we look at where the new missions were put in for Discovery characters, they're basically right off the bat. They lived it. And in this case the Discovery character is still quite the rookie Captain. By the time Starfleet made the recreation for research into J'Ula and her tactics, I figure my Discovery character (retroactively due to existing before said missions were released) is either thinking "It didn't quite happen that way" or quietly made tweaks to make it more accurate.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    My biggest issue with these new episodes is that my Captain is just a 'tag along'.

    The story isn't about him/her anymore, it's all about the Discovery characters.

    Now I understand these are holodeck recreations, but even so, I felt I could have just read the ops report and gotten more character growth for MY character. Because isn't that what this game is about? (Not watching NPCs do a bunch of stuff?)

    While I prefer the whole 'you are in a simulation of past events' way they are doing DSC content, it does take away from, as you say, our character's growth since there's no real world peril to them. Like the Trek episodes where they they fix the past and everything they did is erased cause it never happened. I'd be like 'thanks for wasting my hour on something that never 'happened'. :D Like VOY's Year of Hell.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,361 Arc User
    I thought this mission was pretty awesome. The cut-scene where Patel sacrifices herself was well-done and very sad. I'm not moved by cut-scenes very often but I actually felt that one. Well done.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

    Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    That mission was a great compliment to the story in SI: D Season 1 - we get to see how mirror Lorca entered the Prime universe and it was a really nice background story for the Landry character; and we even got some nicely done ancillary characters too.

    The thing that I found non-sequitur: The whole premise of the Shuttle trip is: Lorca is near death and needs way better medical facilities than the sick bay of my character's ship - yet:

    - He survives a nasty shuttle crash
    - Survives in a VERY harsh environment
    - Even manages to assist in some of the fighting and is able to run in the end

    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.

    And one more thing... why were we (player + away team) on the shuttle heading to the starbase hospital?
    Why did we leave our own ship when there are hostile klingons in the area!? :o
    I was expecting to watch the shuttle/ambulance leave the ship and continue 'the mission' but nope! I'm leaving my ship to fend for itself while me, my first officer, and my ship's doctor are taking up space in a shuttle! :D

    We took the shuttle because there were Klingons in the area. Our ship took the place of the Buran on patrol in this system when she exploded it's just not stated outright. Priors World is something the Federation cannot afford to lose so soon after retaking it so it's only logical that we take a shuttle for this medical mission rather than one of now only three ships needed to defend the system.

    As for Lorca, I can't comment on the beginning of the mission but after 3 days with limited medical supplies he might be able to use a phaser to defend himself at least. And I don't recall him running anywhere in this mission. He was beamed into the cave using the last of the shuttle's power and an emergency transponder (I think that was mentioned?) and the only moving he does after that is walking (unless your character is running then he runs because that's what NPC's do to keep up with the player in STO) about 20ft out the ice tunnel you carve at the end. After that you're picked up by a shuttle.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    Loved it great mission thank you
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,939 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    That mission was a great compliment to the story in SI: D Season 1 - we get to see how mirror Lorca entered the Prime universe and it was a really nice background story for the Landry character; and we even got some nicely done ancillary characters too.

    The thing that I found non-sequitur: The whole premise of the Shuttle trip is: Lorca is near death and needs way better medical facilities than the sick bay of my character's ship - yet:

    - He survives a nasty shuttle crash
    - Survives in a VERY harsh environment
    - Even manages to assist in some of the fighting and is able to run in the end

    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.

    And one more thing... why were we (player + away team) on the shuttle heading to the starbase hospital?
    Why did we leave our own ship when there are hostile klingons in the area!? :o
    I was expecting to watch the shuttle/ambulance leave the ship and continue 'the mission' but nope! I'm leaving my ship to fend for itself while me, my first officer, and my ship's doctor are taking up space in a shuttle! :D

    We took the shuttle because there were Klingons in the area. Our ship took the place of the Buran on patrol in this system when she exploded it's just not stated outright. Priors World is something the Federation cannot afford to lose so soon after retaking it so it's only logical that we take a shuttle for this medical mission rather than one of now only three ships needed to defend the system.

    I think the person you replied to is asking "Why is the Captain of the ship left to defend Prior's World taking a shuttle to go with another injured Captain? IE - You ARE the Captain of your ship in a time of war. You shouldn't be leaving your Command just to go along with others ferrying another injured Captain to a Starbase. If Starfleet wanted your Exec commanding your ship, said Exec would have been promoted to Captain intead of you. ;)

    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Ah, my mistake
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    duasyn wrote: »
    That mission was a great compliment to the story in SI: D Season 1 - we get to see how mirror Lorca entered the Prime universe and it was a really nice background story for the Landry character; and we even got some nicely done ancillary characters too.

    The thing that I found non-sequitur: The whole premise of the Shuttle trip is: Lorca is near death and needs way better medical facilities than the sick bay of my character's ship - yet:

    - He survives a nasty shuttle crash
    - Survives in a VERY harsh environment
    - Even manages to assist in some of the fighting and is able to run in the end

    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.

    And one more thing... why were we (player + away team) on the shuttle heading to the starbase hospital?
    Why did we leave our own ship when there are hostile klingons in the area!? :o
    I was expecting to watch the shuttle/ambulance leave the ship and continue 'the mission' but nope! I'm leaving my ship to fend for itself while me, my first officer, and my ship's doctor are taking up space in a shuttle! :D

    We took the shuttle because there were Klingons in the area. Our ship took the place of the Buran on patrol in this system when she exploded it's just not stated outright. Priors World is something the Federation cannot afford to lose so soon after retaking it so it's only logical that we take a shuttle for this medical mission rather than one of now only three ships needed to defend the system.

    I think the person you replied to is asking "Why is the Captain of the ship left to defend Prior's World taking a shuttle to go with another injured Captain? IE - You ARE the Captain of your ship in a time of war. You shouldn't be leaving your Command just to go along with others ferrying another injured Captain to a Starbase. If Starfleet wanted your Exec commanding your ship, said Exec would have been promoted to Captain intead of you. ;)

    The worst thing is, that's already been covered right on the show, in Best of Both Worlds, when Troi informs Riker of it when he's about to lead the team over to the Borg cube. Where she says straight up that it's improper for him to leave the ship at the time, since he is the captain and they are in a state of war.​​
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    Honestly, he didn't seem all that 'near death' to the point a sick bay couldn't heal him.
    IKR? Seems like he was only hungover or something...

    Perhaps from the crossing over. Kirk and the others were a lil dazed when they crossed over.



    So, this means OUR Lorca is laying, near death, in the other universe?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • grizzly473grizzly473 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I'll probably get roasted for being brutally honest but don't ask for feedback and expect to not hear the bad when it comes. These two recent missions just...well they suck! It's almost as if the writers just gave up. The story is (and dialogue to a point) is bland, cliché, and repetitive. I guess we are just supposed to be out of our minds excited because it follows characters from a currently running Star Trek series (a discussion for another time). Visuals look good, and it seems the cut scene quality has improved some but that aside, I just didn't like the story. There was nothing there. Hell, even the mission rewards were meh. Oh, go fight some big bad Klingons! Been doing that since day one of STO. Instead of giving us this cop-out content that takes no original thought to create (because all of that has been done for you since the 60's), even your new monsters were just weak reskins of every other scorpion and worm on every other planet. Try creating a new story line, with new villains in a new part of the galaxy. Or even make villains out of species that have been mentioned but never seen or explored on TV. The Iconian story, that was cool, original. The Tzenkethi story arc and the Hurq...original. Bringing back the Vaudwaar...brilliant! Forcing Discovery content on us and then saying "We want you to run this simulation of past events" is such a weak and cheap way of worming Discovery into the game. I can only guess that CBS is making you do this to steer STO into being the multi platform companion game to their show. Then there's the whole Landry /Patel thing. Who cares. I get it, you want to be progressive and inclusive. Oh and I am sure you will think I am some intolerant monster. Truth is I just don't care about it. I don't give two flying craps about what team you play for, you love who you love and that's great. I'm just saying I feel that kind of TRIBBLE ultimately has no bearing on the story line, don't care if it's man/woman, man/man, woman/woman, tentacles/bug. Just my take on it. The Discovery content would have been much better if they just stuck to the Cpt. Killy story. At least that was somewhat original.

  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    My biggest problem is that nothing seems to be happening. There's no major events going down, nothing that changes the playing field in the slightest. It feels like we're just running in circles, which isn't helped by the fact that most of the current story arc isn't even happening in the present. I wonder when we will end up actually facing this enemy we've spent a million hours training for.

    By this time in the Iconian arc we'd have: entered an Iconian sphere for information, barely managed to defend a single capital planet that was only a DIVERSION for the Laenas attack on the preservers, completed a singular raid on an Iconian depot to begin turning the tide, attacked a base and found a way to wound an enemy leader while gaining important information in the process, searched for and found an ally in the Krenim, and found futility in MANIPULATING TIME ITSELF to win the war.

    In the Discovery arc? We trained in tactical simulations, where J'ula goes to the future, but also we defend a base against a Klingon raid, defend a base against a Klingon raid, defend a prison from a Klingon raid, make no progress against Klingons because we're running around an iceball planet, fight the Terrans and, fight the Terrans again.

    There's no progress being made here! There isn't any story happening! All we've seen is a series of disconnected, miniature skirmishes that OTHER, MORE IMPORTANT CHARACTERS have important roles in, but even that doesn't matter because NOTHING HAPPENS. Everything that one might think is important is gone either in that same mission or the very next one, with no actual impact on the story. Take Aakar for instance. We capture him, but gain no information from him and never interact with him again. He has no impact on the overall plot of the war against J'ula, nor on the plot of J'ula in the 25th century. Also at some point the Terrans showed up and that went absolutely nowhere because we slaughtered all but one of them. And it's not like "Killy" (More like Silly I mean come on) can somehow scrounge up help from the modern Terrans, we beat them back to their universe, then beat them AND their temporal friends into the dust. They wouldn't dare come back a week later to get killed by the millions again.

    Again, nothing happened in the multitude of missions that couldn't be summed up in one or two Iconian missions. It's disappointing.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,873 Arc User
    I played through the new missions on my f2p account on wednesday as that was the one the launcher had the account name for and so far I've yet to bother on my LTS because I simply don't feel any motivation to do so.

    Rewards are simply not compelling enough to run it for that reason at least the FE system had a carrot for (re)play even if it was once a week for 3-4 then ignore it until an endeavour points to that arc.

    As others have mentioned these new episodes are written as me the player being along for the ride. My other main issue is that there's no coherent arc for disco, its just a series of pretty unrelated events with ties to that series because they got paid to make them that way and spending budget on voice actors adds "cool" factor.

    The observer thing works to a point but thats why lotro does the session plays to tell someone elses story in their shoes by actually wearing their shoes. STO tried it with renegades regret and that had promise but lacked polish and we were way too OP for space which killed fun and ground had no cool toys like mortar or drones that our rather inept crew used if they could be bothered.

    If the observer is the keystone to everything that happens then they're no longer the observer and reasons to watch the people in question diminish quite a lot. If the observer is simply a tag along then it takes away from the concept of this is our story.

    Maybe we should be starting these missions on board ship by walking into a holodeck and not flying to the planet in question if its all just simulated observations on the klingons are aggressive with weak ships and feds are prone to stupid decisions.

    I've not watched much discovery and to be honest if this arc is an attempt to coax me to watch more it's failed.
Sign In or Register to comment.