test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

secondary specialization for sci/exotic build

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
My lukari Dranuur scout ship character is coming along pretty nicely, at 333 EPG so far and doing well over 30k DPS I think. I've kinda started to set the character up as a hybrid exotic dps / healer, throwing support heals to my teammates when I can, and keeping objectives in tfo's healed as needed. This mostly came about as experimentation with the dranuur's t5 mastery trait, which causes your heals to create radiation aoe blasts on the target (or yourself), and while it isnt as damaging as I'd like it's kind of a fun trait to play around with. Running high aux power, I also rely heavily on heals to keep myself alive, as the dranuur is a paper thin glass cannon. I've thrown in some traits like biotech patch to help that along.

That in mind, I've pretty much max'd out the temporal operative tree as my primary (still working on the ground bit, but that can come later, all the space skills are filled out), and i'm looking to start up my secondary specialization. I know most sci builds go with strategist for the secondary - I'm assuming this is mostly for the on-demand aoe placate, and the damage, crit severity, and crit chance boosts it offers. It looks like a solid choice, and it's what I'm using on my other sci character (a sci-torp pathfinder), but I was looking at other options and checking out the trees that I havent tried on any of my characters so far, and one stuck out.

Particle manipulator, from R&D level 15 science, is a cornerstone of most science dps builds, giving your exotic damage abilities a chance to crit. It's a hugely powerful trait, as everyone knows. It would appear that the miracle worker specialization has something similar to this for heals, and it's in tier 2 so it could be accessed as a secondary specialization - I believe it's called "throw out the book" and gives your hull and shield heals a 50% chance to crit, just like particle manipulator does for exotic damage abilities, and the synergy just seems to call out to me.

So, I'm looking for some opinions here: is it worth trying to go for miracle worker as the secondary specialization? Will I be losing too much by not having strategist's damage boosts? Are any of the other specializations a viable option instead?

Comments

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User

So, I'm looking for some opinions here: is it worth trying to go for miracle worker as the secondary specialization? Will I be losing too much by not having strategist's damage boosts?

So far your understanding of synergy is getting better. Miracle worker works better for more weapons damage and heals while tanking. For an exotic build the placate and damage in strategist is more suitable. The threat from exotic build can be really high that only placate can save you, heals will not be enough. If not for exotic build miracle worker is good for primary/secondary specialization.

OPv9m3F.jpg
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    sarah2774 wrote: »

So, I'm looking for some opinions here: is it worth trying to go for miracle worker as the secondary specialization? Will I be losing too much by not having strategist's damage boosts?

So far your understanding of synergy is getting better. Miracle worker works better for more weapons damage and heals while tanking. For an exotic build the placate and damage in strategist is more suitable. The threat from exotic build can be really high that only placate can save you, heals will not be enough. If not for exotic build miracle worker is good for primary/secondary specialization.

Yup..Placates from Aux2Sif and Psuedo are what I use on the same ship as the Op..My secondaries is: Strategist (great choice) but I do run miracle worker for the boost to me heals (and immunites from drain and dots) on some of my toons running sci ships.

That said..with a horrible team I can still pull off 90k (ISA dps) @ 60% incoming fire in the above ship with placates and survive (no deaths). Just gotta watch those warpcore breaches.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    I used to go with pilot for my secondary, as the duration of rock and roll was pretty much all the time my science build needed to make everything dead (something has changed at some point and now rock and roll is pretty much useless).

Then strategist came out, and I switched to that for a while. But honestly I feel like Miracle worker is doing a better job of keeping me alive. With a fully pimped exotic build your probably never going to be in a position where you are not hated by all of the things all of the time. Doesn't matter how much threat reduction you pop on. At least that's been my experience.

For most content you can actually handle all of the hate of all of the things and not pop. You just need to go fast. You only have to stay in weapons range of your enemies long enough to drop your AoE hazards and a torpedo spread. After those are down everything but an elite dreadnaught class is already dead, it's just a matter of 'ticks'. In the case of the dreadnaughts you can duck back into range once the trash is gone and tank them just fine.

Only maps that really get dicey are hive elite and gravity kills. You really need to think about your piloting in those.

So yeah. I feel I have done better with miracle worker then strategist. I have noticed a small difference in my survivability, and have not found the loss of crit to be at all noticeable. If the crit made the difference between killing everything before the first use of science powers wears off, and having to wait and use a second set then it would be a big deal. But few enemies last more then 3 to 10 seconds in a murder ball without it, so loosing it is not a big deal.

Side note: Competitive fortified engines + Emergency power to engines = Most powerful way to negate enemy damage in the the game.