test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How about a universal event for unfinished events

donshlopdonshlop Member Posts: 3 Arc User

I wish I could play as much as STO wants me to when a event goes live. I wish i could play more just to play more. But i have many toons all with unfinished , outdated events. Lots of ships , consoles and goodies. It makes me sad when I have to delete a event project and lose all the goodies so I make room for a new one. I can't be the only one out there with unfinished events. I could use a universal event. How about you? This last event for example. I have time to play games again but I started the project late. I Didn't know I needed 6 more days to finish it ,but to late yet anther event project unfinished. I have event projects from 2013 ship to last weeks event. Should I just forget about it or hope on day STO will help me and others like me out there? or how about if old events could use new event towards progress.

And now to lighten up the mood.

Why did captain Kirk go to the bathroom on the enterprise?...............

To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    For older events, you can not use the current token to finish those up. For example, if you still have the T5 Risian Corvette slotted, you can use the event tokens from this year to finish that up. You'd just need to do the daily on two characters, so you can get this years ship as well.

However for older event tokens we can't use any more. For example the 6th anniversary ones, we could use a trade in, either for dil or marks, just so we can use them. Instead of throwing them away, or having them take up inventory space.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    nixboox wrote: »
    I know, right? It would be great if ALL events went to a universal currency. This game, even from the very first day it was released, has had a problem with having TOO many currencies. They had a moment in season 3, I think it was, where they got rid of a bunch of different currencies and consolidated to less...but they've slowly been adding more over the years and now we have more than ever.

EC, Dil, Latinum, and Elite Marks are currencies.

The regular marks, are more of a resource item.

One could consider the elite marks a resource as well. But as they're only given for Advanced/Elite TFOs or battlezones. One can gain far more normal marks that elite. Granted, my inventory would thank them, if elites marks were stored int eh same way as regular marks, in the reputation itself.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited May 2019
    trennan wrote: »
    I know, right? It would be great if ALL events went to a universal currency. This game, even from the very first day it was released, has had a problem with having TOO many currencies. They had a moment in season 3, I think it was, where they got rid of a bunch of different currencies and consolidated to less...but they've slowly been adding more over the years and now we have more than ever.

EC, Dil, Latinum, and Elite Marks are currencies.

The regular marks, are more of a resource item.

One could consider the elite marks a resource as well. But as they're only given for Advanced/Elite TFOs or battlezones. One can gain far more normal marks that elite. Granted, my inventory would thank them, if elites marks were stored int eh same way as regular marks, in the reputation itself.

Oh, no...see, every reputation has about TWO kinds of its own currencies, rep marks and McGuffins. You have currencies for DOffs, two different currencies for BOffs, ship upgrades have, like, five different currencies now including the ones you get just to purchase them. Every event rep has its own currency and there are two currencies (or more) for each special event. We're literally drowning in currencies that can't be equivocated - can't be exchanged for each other - and it is way worse than it was back in the day where you had a different type of currency at every level of game play. Currencies that you can't get unless you use other currencies is just craziness. I don't think any of the other games PWE uses has this many independent currencies. This needs another streamlining pass where everything is converted down to no more than one or two exclusive currencies. There's a reason why governments of the world pick ONE currency and have an exchange rate for converting that ONE currency into the currency of other governments. Think about how awesome it would be if STO had a currency exchange system where we could broker our excess currencies like we do with dilithium and zen!

Technically the Federation doesn't have a hard currency at all. It uses energy, though, up through TOS there are references to the Federation Credit, often just mentioned as credits, in the show. For the game this would be the Energy Credit. So they just don't use a hard currency. Which is why you often hear them say in TNG onward, "We don't have that kind of currency."

However, every other faction has it's own. For example latinum(and three other forms of hard currency) for ferengi, or the lateral for the the dominion.

So what is one suppose to do here? Well, in the Star Trek TTRPG books, it says to use the replicators to make that currency. So, use forged currency. Or to use the replicator to make trade items in order to get the local currency. This is where Latinum shines, as it can't be replicated.

So going the actual currency route like this, one can wind up with just as many currencies, or more, just from visiting different systems. So, this is actually contained pretty well.

The marks/elite mark thing. We could use less of them. Perhaps make the reputation marks, universal. This way, they just stack up and you use them as you will. With elite marks being moved out of your inventory and into the reputations themselves, tracked like normal marks are now. This way, they can get rid of the choice mark, replaced with the universal reputation mark, used in the normal ways for marks. Then the universal mark and elite mark is used for gear.

With this we've just eliminated 12/26 different marks, with the soon to be added Disco Rep. Will, still leave us with the 13 elite marks though. Since it never made any sense to have 2 different currencies/resources per reputation.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The marks/elite mark thing. We could use less of them. Perhaps make the reputation marks, universal. This way, they just stack up and you use them as you will. With elite marks being moved out of your inventory and into the reputations themselves, tracked like normal marks are now. This way, they can get rid of the choice mark, replaced with the universal reputation mark, used in the normal ways for marks. Then the universal mark and elite mark is used for gear.

The problem with a Universal rep mark is that it would effectively KILL anything that isn't Infected Space or Crystalline. The only reason to go to the others would be for the Elite marks... oh wait... we can convert 100 marks into 1 Elite mark a day.

Every time someone mentions universal marks... they fail to recognize one fact... the easiest method of gaining them would be everyones favorite STF that can be facerolled, thus killing the queues except for a select few that can be easily done in a couple minutes.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

The problem with a Universal rep mark is that it would effectively KILL anything that isn't Infected Space or Crystalline. The only reason to go to the others would be for the Elite marks... oh wait... we can convert 100 marks into 1 Elite mark a day.

Every time someone mentions universal marks... they fail to recognize one fact... the easiest method of gaining them would be everyones favorite STF that can be facerolled, thus killing the queues except for a select few that can be easily done in a couple minutes.

Diminishing returns. The more you play a map in a day, the less it gives in marks. Just like the episodes, after you first play through, you actually receive less reward for the next ones.

TFO's would suffer with that to much though. So, perhaps, the first 3, perhaps 5 would be better, times you play a TFO, you get the normal reward. Then each subsequent replay reduces it by 10%?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Would you track that by character or by account?
    When would the rollover be? Standard Daily based on when you ran your first one or Fixed Daily like the Dilithium Refinement?

Its a can of worms frankly. One probably better left alone.

While in theory a universal mark would take some of the grind out of the grind, it also incentivises playing things not even related to the Rep track.
    Need to build rep with the Terran Taskforce? Go shoot Borg.
    Need to build rep with the Delta Alliance? Go shoot Borg.
    Need to build rep with the Lukari? Go shoot Borg.

While it is a bit of a pain, having the different marks does mean people are in different areas of the game that are generally relatated to what they're working on. A universal will just congregate everyone into the easiest sources, and to hell with even choosing. Honestly... the choice box with all the various types in it that we get from some STFs is more viable because you still have to actually CHOOSE which one you want. A universal... takes that away. Not only that, a smart player can keep track of which rep marks still have a daily bonus. A universal... would only have 1 daily bonus and that's it.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the popular Universal Mark idea. But generally I think the Disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Instead of 'Your Show of Shows' this would be 'Your Event of Events'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • donshlopdonshlop Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I wouldn't want a universal marks for rep projects. But a universal item for unused event's like winter , summer , then ones inbetween summer winter that have consuls and TRIBBLE,
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    As someone with three different "Event" reputation projects slotted, I would completely be behind allowing us to slot previous events, and use a daily "universal event" box unlock from a choose your mark TFO. Could only get 1 a day, and still have to slot the event during the event, but it gives those of us with a busier schedule the ability to get the items, and participate.
    As it stands, I am time locked out of a lot of the events because I don't have the ability to play everyday due to my crazy work schedule.
This discussion has been closed.