test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Section 31 Lock Box!

Comments

• carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    One day, it will likely be known that the Romulan Star Empire was manipulated into war with the Dominion. When that day comes, it will brush aside the other legacies of Captain Benjamin Sisko like footnotes for all but Bajor’s faithful.

Easily the most interesting thing in the post for me. Are the secrets of the past going to come to light in STO?
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Has a new lockbox ever been released before without a new lobi store ship being released at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time that's happened.
    I was wondering the same thing... unless the 4 nacelle version has yet to be announced?

• tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    If things go well, this will probably be the last lock box STO will see, at least here in the U.S.
    If things go well, this will probably be the last lock box STO will see, at least here in the U.S.
    ??

• iw42iw42 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I don't even care about the lockbox. I'm just glad that the post referenced the greatest episode in the history of the franchise. Twice.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    Interesting ship, needs more Saucer thou. Look forward to ship blogs.

I would support this game in the C-Store if lock boxes got nerfed. Not sure what other method would be employed? It would kill Lobi too, unless we could earn it ingame or convert GPL to it.

Maybe do an occasional Kickstart to raise funds.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Will the nacelles fold out like in this video? And will there be a bridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcgK0hENO4M
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    I Agree the Nacelles should fold and there should also be a bridge.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    How fortuitous, I just made another Disco character. I'm seeing fun toys in this box for her to play around with.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    ??

There's been talks of making Loot Boxes illegal thru federal law in the US, that said it might still take months or even years before that law becomes a reality.

And depeding on the law it might mean that C-store must be closed as well. thus killing STO permamently as there's no revenue for Cryptic anymore. Unless it means return to subcriptions.
    I Agree the Nacelles should fold and there should also be a bridge.
    Nacelle folding is possible but I would say an unique bridge is highly unlikely unless said bridge is used in a mission or TFO, it just takes too much resources to make one.
    angarus1 wrote: »
    How fortuitous, I just made another Disco character. I'm seeing fun toys in this box for her to play around with.
    Personally.. I'm going to hold off on another Dsc toon... waiting for an official Dsc era Andorian, or Kelpian...
    Interesting ship, needs more Saucer thou. Look forward to ship blogs.

I would support this game in the C-Store if lock boxes got nerfed. Not sure what other method would be employed? It would kill Lobi too, unless we could earn it ingame or convert GPL to it.

Maybe do an occasional Kickstart to raise funds.
    Aternatively, the Lobi items could also be moved over to the GPL store... But, in the interim, they could go with your idea of converting GPL into Lobi, as an alternative means of gaining Lobi items.
    Now... about that 4 nacelle version... i.e. Leland's flag ship... unannounced Lobi option, or future Doff/R&D pack?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited May 2019
    The legislation, introduced into the US Senate, aims to ban loot boxes, and pay-to-win micro-transactions. Not all MTX.

That does not, of course, answer the question of whether STO could survive without loot boxes. And there's no guarantee that this bill will pass the Senate and become law (or when that law would take effect). Plus, I'm sure there will be debate on what exactly constitutes a "pay to win" MTX. I doubt the C-Store would be closed. But without Loot Boxes, something would have to be done about the Lobi store.

Personally, I would not mind seeing loot boxes banned. Even if it means some games would have to shut down. The industry has had years to self regulate, and they have refused to do so.

There's also the issue of how its implimented. Battlefront 2's implimentation was a disaster, as you HAD to open boxes in order to progress. Meanwhile Team Fortress 2's lockbox system is entirely optional as there's like 5 different ways to get things from them including through the box, and the only thing you get special out of it is maybe a Strange quality that has a score tracker. Literally nothing required to stay competative. Its all cosmetic.

STO's is pretty similar to TF2's in that way. They're nice to have, but are not necessary and someone who doesn't open boxes can still get the shiny.

Unless they make sure to specify SPECIFICALLY predatory behavior of sticking required items in lootbox mechanics that have viruturally no alternative way of getting them, they are threatening pretty much every F2P game in existance. I say virturally because EA's attempt at mitigating by saying "oh you CAN grind them out for free" was laughable because you'd practically have no choice anyways unless you want to LIVE in the game for over a year. It was basically blackmailing you into spending money just to keep your head above water.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    Has a new lockbox ever been released before without a new lobi store ship being released at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time that's happened.

I came on to ask about that too. I don't remember it happening. @ambassadorkael#6946 can you shed some light on that? Thanks!
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Nacelle folding is possible but I would say an unique bridge is highly unlikely unless said bridge is used in a mission or TFO, it just takes too much resources to make one.

Not just possible. It WILL because its a transformer. Its got the Dyson transforming mechanic that was recently revamped with the release of the Mirror Crossfield.
    As for a bridge... I'd say its 50/50 on that. We've had a few that weren't in a mission, like the 26th Century bridges on Temporal ships like the Paladin. Also the Kelvin ships all came with unique bridges, and we only ever saw the Connie bridge in a mission.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Not just possible. It WILL because its a transformer. Its got the Dyson transforming mechanic that was recently revamped with the release of the Mirror Crossfield.
    As for a bridge... I'd say its 50/50 on that. We've had a few that weren't in a mission, like the 26th Century bridges on Temporal ships like the Paladin. Also the Kelvin ships all came with unique bridges, and we only ever saw the Connie bridge in a mission.

I hope it does have the folding nacelles and bridge but I don't think we are going to get em, The only way we can get the bridge is if there is a mission with that bridge in.

I hope i'm wrong however :)
    @vampirial check the news page. The stats for both ships are out. and there's animation of the S31 ship transforming. The nacelles fold.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11157083-command-the-ships-of-the-section-31-lock-box!
    I'd bring in the animation, but its a full on video but not YouTube so I don't know how to bring it over into this thread.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    That Holoemitter better be the decoy Asteroid from the show.
    That Holoemitter better be the decoy Asteroid from the show.
    Im assuming the consumable it mentions in the pack is the holo-camo, I'd prefer a console that does it.

• duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    The transformation to Tactical Mode is cool, but where the nacelles pivot leaves 2 giant open gaps in the armor, seems a bad thing. I'd think there'd be some sort of armor cover that moves over.

Plus, the pivot is at the bottom of the break, making me think there's no conduits, or whatever, that actually run from the ship to the nacelles.

Just some 'reality' thoughts that popped into my head when I saw the animation. ;)
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The S31 Fed ship looks like a warbird, that someone took the wing section and folded it up under the bridge.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    The S31 Fed ship looks like a warbird, that someone took the wing section and folded it up under the bridge.
    I had the same realization last night. It feels like a Section 31version of the Vas'deletham.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    holy TRIBBLE it really does look like the winged defender!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

When I posted this the stats had not been posted yet. Cryptic has said that it takes around the same time to make s bridge/interior map as it takes to make a episode or was it a ship one or the other, either way making a bridge is a lot of work, I'm not saying they won't but what I'm saying is that you should expect a generic bridge and if you get a unique one it's a bonus.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    In the first, whoever actually types up these posts really should be better acquainted with the formatting functions; having naked URLs is a touch untidy from a presentation standpoint.
    Cryptic has said that it takes around the same time to make s bridge/interior map as it takes to make a episode or was it a ship one or the other, either way making a bridge is a lot of work,
    Is anyone else unconvinced that 1-2 rooms can take as much time and effort to make as an entire episode, especially with the latter having cutscenes, voice acting, and everything else that goes into it? Okay, moving on...

While there are interesting toys to be had, I for one also see missed opportunities. To elaborate in part:

• having the covert weapons available in disruptor form as well would be entirely consistent with canon (in fact, it could be argued that they should only come as disruptors, because phasers are practically the Federation's signature weapon);
    • the covert phaser pistol is interesting, but why stop there? This item instead should have been a 'clearance' which makes the full roster of covert weapons - pistols and longarms (all rifles; pulsewaves); for obvious reasons miniguns and blast-assault weapons are not included - purchasable from that character's dilithium store. Mechanically, I would not be surprised if these weapons also have a bonus to flanking and ambush damage;
    • again - the vanity shields should be a line item in their own right, not a possibility-within-a-possibility

In fact, point two above inspires this possible consideration. For a while I've been saying that there is little in-universe justification for much of this technology being exclusively available from this Lobi Consortium... for example, it would not be unreasonable to expect to be able to requisition Elachi gear from the New Romulus rep store, unlocked at the same thresholds as the existing reputation weapons. With that in mind, I suggest this compromise, inspired by how Grinding Gear Games handles these things: a new lockbox with a new weapon flavor arrives, and runs for X period of time. Y period after the expiration of X, said weapons are added to an appropriate rep store (or the general dilithium store if none is available).
  • quinnftw76#3498 quinnftw76 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > nathankirts wrote: »
    >
    > The legislation, introduced into the US Senate, aims to ban loot boxes, and pay-to-win micro-transactions. Not all MTX.
    >
    > That does not, of course, answer the question of whether STO could survive without loot boxes. And there's no guarantee that this bill will pass the Senate and become law (or when that law would take effect). Plus, I'm sure there will be debate on what exactly constitutes a "pay to win" MTX. I doubt the C-Store would be closed. But without Loot Boxes, something would have to be done about the Lobi store.
    >
    > Personally, I would not mind seeing loot boxes banned. Even if it means some games would have to shut down. The industry has had years to self regulate, and they have refused to do so.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There's also the issue of how its implimented. Battlefront 2's implimentation was a disaster, as you HAD to open boxes in order to progress. Meanwhile Team Fortress 2's lockbox system is entirely optional as there's like 5 different ways to get things from them including through the box, and the only thing you get special out of it is maybe a Strange quality that has a score tracker. Literally nothing required to stay competative. Its all cosmetic.
    >
    > STO's is pretty similar to TF2's in that way. They're nice to have, but are not necessary and someone who doesn't open boxes can still get the shiny.
    >
    > Unless they make sure to specify SPECIFICALLY predatory behavior of sticking required items in lootbox mechanics that have viruturally no alternative way of getting them, they are threatening pretty much every F2P game in existance. I say virturally because EA's attempt at mitigating by saying "oh you CAN grind them out for free" was laughable because you'd practically have no choice anyways unless you want to LIVE in the game for over a year. It was basically blackmailing you into spending money just to keep your head above water.

I think the lock boxes in STO are somewhere between cosmetic and necessary. There are ships and items that you can only get via the boxes. And ships are not simply cosmetic. They have varied configurations of bridge officer stations, console slots, and, as to T6, unique traits that you cannot otherwise acquire. The Lobi store is also problematic, but only because of the steep item prices. Have you ever calculated the average price of the items there, based on the average drop rate of Lobi?

At the very least, there should be two improvements implemented. One, the odds on lock boxes should be posted. When I buy a lottery ticket, for example, the odds of winning every prize is printed on the back of the ticket. Consumers have the right to know what they're buying. Informed choice and all that. Two, all items in the Zen Store, Dil Store, or Lobi Store should have a real world currency value listed for reference.