test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Daleks .vs. The Borg Who would Win?

2»

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    DALEKS
    And yet.... Dalek mini-tanks can be destroyed by human-made explosives. It's like the inverse Ninja law. A handful of Daleks with a doomsday machine are more dangerous than an armada of Dalek warships. :p

Only sometimes. Like the Borg's resistance to physical attacks.
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Moment was never used. The Doctor couldn't make himself do it (the Moment required that its user be fully aware of everything that using it meant).

The Cybermen and Borg wouldn't "fight" as such, they'd assimilate each other (the way the Cyber Leader tried to assimilate the Doctor in "Silver Nemesis"). Then they'd go on to take over the Galaxy.

The Moment was used originally because 10 and 11 weren't there. The Doctor retconed his own past so he didn't use it.

Of course they wouldn't fight as such, the Cybermen would assimilate them before they knew what was happening. The Borg are barely a type 2 civilisation whereas the Cybermen are a high end type 3 as their empire spans multiple Galaxies and had complete control on one. THe Borg are spare parts to the Cybermen.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 don't forget the convenient kill switches though 😂

Of course. Gotta leave something for the humans to do.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 don't forget the convenient kill switches though 😂

And the fact that even though they're massively overpowered, they still haven't discovered a mutation that would solve their vulnerability to their own weapon

Why would they? That would mean they'd no longer be able to exterminate members of their own race when they decide they're impure.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    BORG
    artan42 wrote: »
    The Moment was never used. The Doctor couldn't make himself do it (the Moment required that its user be fully aware of everything that using it meant).

The Cybermen and Borg wouldn't "fight" as such, they'd assimilate each other (the way the Cyber Leader tried to assimilate the Doctor in "Silver Nemesis"). Then they'd go on to take over the Galaxy.
    The Moment was used originally because 10 and 11 weren't there. The Doctor retconed his own past so he didn't use it.

Of course they wouldn't fight as such, the Cybermen would assimilate them before they knew what was happening. The Borg are barely a type 2 civilisation whereas the Cybermen are a high end type 3 as their empire spans multiple Galaxies and had complete control on one. THe Borg are spare parts to the Cybermen.
    Not a very good argument as it doesn't really say much about resources or tech.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The Borg are barely a type 2 civilisation whereas the Cybermen are a high end type 3 as their empire spans multiple Galaxies and had complete control on one.
    However, the Cybermen you're thinking of have a Weaksauce Weakness that eventually lead to their being eliminated as a threat. (They "returned" because it turns out that Cybermen are one of the potential failure modes of a high-tech civilization - the ones the Doctor encountered with Rose didn't even originate in the same universe.) The Borg, on the other hand, can adapt to any threat they face (before they were weakened by the writers because they were a powerful existential threat to, well, all non-Borg), so while the Borg can use gold to take out their enemies, the Cybermen can only stop one Borg at a time.

Now, after they assimilate each other, you get Cybermen who aren't allergic to gold, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    The Borg were scariest in Q Who - IMHO.

As for the rest, Stan Lee answered this question in -
    STAN LEE Who Would Win? - Stan's Rants
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_zFYnnn2Y

To sum up - Who Wins? Writer's choice.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    DALEKS
    tenor.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    DALEKS

Not a very good argument as it doesn't really say much about resources or tech.

Uuum, it says the Cybermen have the tech and resources to completely assimilate and entier galaxy and parts of many others and the Borg only have the tech and resources to huddle in one corner of the Delta Quadrant and can only send one Cube at a time out into the Alpha/Beta Quadrant.
    The Borg are barely a type 2 civilisation whereas the Cybermen are a high end type 3 as their empire spans multiple Galaxies and had complete control on one.
    However, the Cybermen you're thinking of have a Weaksauce Weakness that eventually lead to their being eliminated as a threat. (They "returned" because it turns out that Cybermen are one of the potential failure modes of a high-tech civilization - the ones the Doctor encountered with Rose didn't even originate in the same universe.) The Borg, on the other hand, can adapt to any threat they face (before they were weakened by the writers because they were a powerful existential threat to, well, all non-Borg), so while the Borg can use gold to take out their enemies, the Cybermen can only stop one Borg at a time.

Now, after they assimilate each other, you get Cybermen who aren't allergic to gold, so...

Except the Cybermen who built the empire were the ones that were resistant to gold. The Doctor used it to disrupt the CyberPlanner but it had no effect of the drones. They could rebuild their empire from one Cybermat, they took over the Cybus Men (as seen from The Pandorica Opens up to Nightmare in Silver), and could adapt to specific anti-cybermen weapons on the fly.
    Borg in TNG could be sent silly with a maths puzzle and in VGR they were made into a wall decoration by 8472 and neutered by Janeway and Future!Janeway​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    In Assimilation Squared, the Cybermen pull a major one over the Borg to the point where Picard has to save the Borg or risk letting the Galaxy get taken over by Borg-enhanced Cybermen.

Unlike the Federation folks, the Borg however maintain an awareness of the Cybermen and the Doctor's use of Time Travel to save the situation and resolve to develop Time Travel themselves, leading ultimately to the events of First Contact.

So the Cybermen or Borg have to have the upper hand, because that way you can write a story in which Picard is forced to save his greatest enemy.

lazarx_2855.jpg
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    DALEKS
    lazarx wrote: »
    In Assimilation Squared, the Cybermen pull a major one over the Borg to the point where Picard has to save the Borg or risk letting the Galaxy get taken over by Borg-enhanced Cybermen.

Unlike the Federation folks, the Borg however maintain an awareness of the Cybermen and the Doctor's use of Time Travel to save the situation and resolve to develop Time Travel themselves, leading ultimately to the events of First Contact.

So the Cybermen or Borg have to have the upper hand, because that way you can write a story in which Picard is forced to save his greatest enemy.

Going by the logic of the Borg winning because of the way a story is written. The trouble is, the Daleks are always written as the ones with the bigger masterplans. Plans that would easily destroy the Borg. Plans that the Doctor isn't always around to foil.

Going by the logic of the Borg winning because of the way a story is written. The trouble is, the Daleks are always written as the ones with the bigger masterplans. Plans that would easily destroy the Borg. Plans that the Doctor isn't always around to foil.

Actually she is. because her TARDIS frequently doesn't take the Doctor where she wants to go, but where she needs to be.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
    the Cybermen can only stop one Borg at a time.

Unless of course the Cybermen manage to subvert the Borg's root commands which how they got the upper hand in Assimilation Squared. The Cybermen have one advantage over the Borg. While the Borg will reverse an agreement when they either no longer need it or have the upper hand, the Cybermen enter into their agreements planning treachery from the get go.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    BORG
    the Cybermen can only stop one Borg at a time.
    Unless of course the Cybermen manage to subvert the Borg's root commands which how they got the upper hand in Assimilation Squared. The Cybermen have one advantage over the Borg. While the Borg will reverse an agreement when they either no longer need it or have the upper hand, the Cybermen enter into their agreements planning treachery from the get go.
    I'm thinking it'd be most reasonable to assume the Borg would be equally capable of doing the reverse.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg