test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing the Discovery Legends Reputation!

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    You forget how much stuff a reputation can give until you see it all listed on one page.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Does anyone find these reputations enjoyable?

If the rep had come out with the first Discovery stuff, we'd be done with it by now. Hopefully, they won't 'force' everyone to go back and grind out old DSC TFOs just because it's the only place to get marks.
    You mean stuff like SB1, the two Pahvo missions, and Prior's world? SB1 is still popular in RTFO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    eazzie wrote: »

This is not a Babylon 5 thread. Can we keep on topic please. You don't want the Mods deleting your posts.

A: It was a one off, spinoff short talk about the name of a set bonus or something related to the Discovery rep that has already played out.
    B: Mods don't just delete posts unless it is blatantly offensive. They publically suggest people stay on topic. And as that branch has already played out... don't really see a reason to issue any kind of warning or suggestion.
    C: You're not a mod. Please don't say things like "you don't want x to happen" as if you are.

If you had just asked to get back on topic, it would have been fine, but you took it too far by trying to backseat mod by suggesting the mods will delete posts, as it can come across as a veiled threat from one forum user against another using a Mod as a weapon.

Anyways... back on topic...

Wonder if this is how we're getting some more Discovery era ground weapons... I know my KDF would like to get her hands on the 2250s disruptors.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    eazzie wrote: »

This is not a Babylon 5 thread. Can we keep on topic please. You don't want the Mods deleting your posts.

A: It was a one off, spinoff short talk about the name of a set bonus or something related to the Discovery rep that has already played out.
    B: Mods don't just delete posts unless it is blatantly offensive. They publically suggest people stay on topic. And as that branch has already played out... don't really see a reason to issue any kind of warning or suggestion.
    C: You're not a mod. Please don't say things like "you don't want x to happen" as if you are.

If you had just asked to get back on topic, it would have been fine, but you took it too far by trying to backseat mod by suggesting the mods will delete posts, as it can come across as a veiled threat from one forum user against another using a Mod as a weapon.

Anyways... back on topic...

Wonder if this is how we're getting some more Discovery era ground weapons... I know my KDF would like to get her hands on the 2250s disruptors.

Yes 2250s disruptors would nice to have, my AoD toon has the pistol and rifle for phasers already but a klink disruptor or melee weapon would nice for my klingon toon.

While obviously those wouldn't be 1 shot weapons like in the series I could see the disruptors having higher then normal chance of vaporization (like the TOS phasers that vaporize with pretty much any kill shot).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Though this guy tried many times, he never ended up being a 'disruptor' of Hogan's plans. :)

https://youtu.be/c4r5Mnbujpc
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Sad to see that we get more and more Phaser type weapons. I will mostly take a look at the traits and the default and vanity shields.
    nephitis wrote: »
    Sad to see that we get more and more Phaser type weapons. I will mostly take a look at the traits and the default and vanity shields.

There's disruptors as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    I may make that dual beam Light Raider I've been considering now. Maybe using the Shran Raider.

The one problem I have with this reputation is the names of the items and abilities. For two reasons:

1. At the end of Season 2, records of the Discovery crew were sealed - so shouldn't we not know anything about them?
    2. They read like massive amounts of fan-wankery. I don't mind subtle references to characters, but this is just too blatant for my liking.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    So close to a mind-invading psionic weapon, yet so far. Oh well. At least a few of the toys here seem interesting.

And a couple seem overpowered cough cough instant revive cough cough

Could have went the 2nd Season route and delve into the mould network to earn a revival ;)
    I may make that dual beam Light Raider I've been considering now. Maybe using the Shran Raider.

The one problem I have with this reputation is the names of the items and abilities. For two reasons:

1. At the end of Season 2, records of the Discovery crew were sealed - so shouldn't we not know anything about them?
    2. They read like massive amounts of fan-wankery. I don't mind subtle references to characters, but this is just too blatant for my liking.

Records can be unsealed, in fact if you read the dev blogs that's exactly what happened after the Hur'q war.

That said I doubt starfleet actually unpersoned the crew or the ship just removed the stuff about sporedrive or section 31 involvement, since too many people have seen or heard of USS Discovery or Micheal Burnham for it to be possible to simply delete them from records without raising massive red flags.

It's likely that starfleet records mention that a Crossfield-class USS Discovery did indeed exist and had crew we saw in the series but it was more or less "normal" starfleet science ship and a test bed for new engine technologies along with rest of the Crossfield class ships. However with the loss of the USS Glenn during the Klingon war and loss of the USS DIscovery herself soon after while investigating a series of spacial anomalies (with the crew of USS Enterprise witnessing that the Discovery was lost with all hands on board), the Crossfield-class was deemed a failure and no further ships of that class were made.

Note that only mention to the sporedrive was "new engine technologies" which starfleet could easily spin as "improved warpdrive", thus achiving the thing Spock wanted (no one is gonna investigate the fate the Discovery and discover the sporedrive or the timecrystals, since the "official" fate of the Discovery isn't that atypical for a starfleet vessel), while not leaving a massive gap in Starfleet records that practically screams to be investigated.
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Once again, more TRIBBLE TRIBBLE
    Armour visuals are nice though
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Though this guy tried many times, he never ended up being a 'disruptor' of Hogan's plans. :)

His right-hand man may have helped ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9n9or4DYWM
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Is it just me, or are the new reps pointless?
    Why would I spend 100+ days grinding this rep for gear that's no longer top of the line (as it was when Mk XII was still the highest).
    Now we're at XV, XII is nothing.
    Yes, I have the XIII UR upgrade, but still, that's not XV.
    Sure, XII is enough for most content... but that says a lot about the value of the content then (or the gear, or both).
    If I've already decked out XVs on my ship, why would I downgrade?
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are the new reps pointless?
    Why would I spend 100+ days grinding this rep for gear that's no longer top of the line (as it was when Mk XII was still the highest).
    Now we're at XV, XII is nothing.
    Yes, I have the XIII UR upgrade, but still, that's not XV.
    Sure, XII is enough for most content... but that says a lot about the value of the content then (or the gear, or both).
    If I've already decked out XVs on my ship, why would I downgrade?

you're meant to upgrade many many sets to gold 15. for me - i just do 1 per character with 9 characters. so that's some variety. but it's true that I wouldn't do multiples for each character.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

spiritborn wrote: »
    Records can be unsealed, in fact if you read the dev blogs that's exactly what happened after the Hur'q war.

That said I doubt starfleet actually unpersoned the crew or the ship just removed the stuff about sporedrive or section 31 involvement, since too many people have seen or heard of USS Discovery or Micheal Burnham for it to be possible to simply delete them from records without raising massive red flags.

It's likely that starfleet records mention that a Crossfield-class USS Discovery did indeed exist and had crew we saw in the series but it was more or less "normal" starfleet science ship and a test bed for new engine technologies along with rest of the Crossfield class ships. However with the loss of the USS Glenn during the Klingon war and loss of the USS DIscovery herself soon after while investigating a series of spacial anomalies (with the crew of USS Enterprise witnessing that the Discovery was lost with all hands on board), the Crossfield-class was deemed a failure and no further ships of that class were made.

Note that only mention to the sporedrive was "new engine technologies" which starfleet could easily spin as "improved warpdrive", thus achiving the thing Spock wanted (no one is gonna investigate the fate the Discovery and discover the sporedrive or the timecrystals, since the "official" fate of the Discovery isn't that atypical for a starfleet vessel), while not leaving a massive gap in Starfleet records that practically screams to be investigated.

Or just that Discovery's existance was classified top secret, and there is an extra layer of Security on what exactly she did. I mean Spock did basically suggest that just speaking about Discovery should be right up there with Talos IV for all intents and purposes. However after the arrival of J'ula... the records were unsealed. Also with the recovery of ships from Yard 39, a whole lot of lostech was recovered.
  • darthvicious666darthvicious666 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Just curious whether the Mind Meld Device is actually an equippable Device or if it takes a weapon slot.

I'd be disappointed if it took a weapon slot, and I'd be forever agitated if it only swapped out Palm Strike for Engage when its your active weapon.

Other than that little detail, overall it looks nice.
    STO Academy

U.S.S. Ultima, NCC-100101-X, Fleet Recon Science Vessel
    U.S.S. Demi, NCC-100101-Z, Peregrine Fighter
    U.S.S. Spaceball 1, NCC-123456, Tuffli Class Freighter

Glorious Melee Combat
    Just curious whether the Mind Meld Device is actually an equippable Device or if it takes a weapon slot.

I'd be disappointed if it took a weapon slot, and I'd be forever agitated if it only swapped out Palm Strike for Engage when its your active weapon.

Well... we already have those melee gloves...
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tsunkatse_Gloves

Well... we already have those melee gloves...
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tsunkatse_Gloves

Those gloves are the reason I'm asking. I use them as my main weapon.

Assuming the MMD is a device, I'm ecstatic about this ground set. A gap closer on a short cd with built in CC is huge for my build.

On the other hand, if it's a weapon and requires it to be active to use Engage... I'd be eternally disappointed.
    STO Academy

Glorious Melee Combat
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @captaincelestial said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > Though this guy tried many times, he never ended up being a 'disruptor' of Hogan's plans. :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > His right-hand man may have helped ;)

Shultz knew what was going on, but turned a blind eye to it as all he cared about was surviving the war. Klink’s Secretary Helga, otoh, was quite happily working with Hogan & Co.

On topic.....I am really not thrilled with yet another reputation, for once the fact it’s based on ST;D has nothing to do with it. They should just add the swag to the Temporal rep or K-13 for the people who want it and stop jacking us around with more grindy busywork. The idea of getting this to level 6 makes me nauseous, especially as we all know it will take them months to add the marks to mark boxes just like they did to us with Gamma marks. And If they do a damn Fleet Holding for this, I’m done.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    They need to make a serious effort to streamline these reputations, there's far too many and its extremely tedious and annoying to progress through them, I understand its designed to keep people logging in with the whole daily projects thing and that's fine, but at the very least they need to compact the marks into a single currency, or a few sets of currencies.

Once upon a time Dilithium was created as an alternative currency because the devs (who were there at the time) felt there were too many mark currencies so they compacted them into a single one, and yet nowadays we have more than double the amount of marks that existed at that time.

My suggestion is to compound all normal rep marks into a single universal rep mark that works for all reps (or atleast all the older reps) but keep the elite marks like the isomorphic injectors seperate so it still encourages you to play different content if you want gear, but makes things much easier to keep track of.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Martial arts, in usual ground TFO, are useless. Yes, you can go around chopping borgs and beating them up but in most of the ground mission you need an AOE attack. Look at the plasma wide rifle for instance. The secondary of that weapon can hit up to 6 enemies in a shot. It's a inexpensive weapon that most of the good "grounder" use if they have no lobi or resources. In most of my ground mission I don't see high dpser use any martial art/sword.

A mandatory question. WHERE ARE THE WINGS ON THE EV SUIT??
    edited May 2019
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    Martial arts, in usual ground TFO, are useless. Yes, you can go around chopping borgs and beating them up but in most of the ground mission you need an AOE attack. Look at the plasma wide rifle for instance. The secondary of that weapon can hit up to 6 enemies in a shot. It's a inexpensive weapon that most of the good "grounder" use if they have no lobi or resources. In most of my ground mission I don't see high dpser use any martial art/sword.

Then you haven't seen any good melees yet. Meanwhile, I haven't seen anyone do as much damage as I do with those gloves. I'm running around killing things with a three hit combo in seconds while you're cowering far away, pew-pewing with your cute wittle pwasma wifle. You hit 6 things at once for maybe a few hundred damage each, while I punch and kick on the order of thousands.

In short: "I know kung fu."

On another note... THERE'S AN EV SUIT WITH WINGS??? ... *furiously googles Discovery pictures*
    Post edited by darthvicious666 on
    STO Academy

Glorious Melee Combat
  • mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    You mean stuff like SB1, the two Pahvo missions, and Prior's world? SB1 is still popular in RTFO.

And one of the reasons why I find it "enjoyable" has to do with the fact that it offers any of the reputation marks as reward. This is especially helpful when dealing with the alternatives of doing Lukari TFOs which feel like sadism at its worst.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

His right-hand man may have helped ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9n9or4DYWM

Would love to see a homage to those 2 in game.

Neverwinter did Standler and Waldorf homages in their table top game even
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Just no. I would consider doing another rep if and only if this was account unlock. The grind for T6 reputation is the reason I have not played in months.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Or just that Discovery's existance was classified top secret, and there is an extra layer of Security on what exactly she did. I mean Spock did basically suggest that just speaking about Discovery should be right up there with Talos IV for all intents and purposes. However after the arrival of J'ula... the records were unsealed. Also with the recovery of ships from Yard 39, a whole lot of lostech was recovered.
    the problem is that Discovery and her crew were too well known, to most alpha/beta quadrant citizens Talos system is just one system among many, so "don't go here due classified reasons" wouldn't really raise an eye brow.

On the other hand it was implied that Burnham was known to general population thanks to her involvement with start of the klingon war. Also Discovery was vital in ending the Klingon war, so that name would be known to the general population of the federation.

Just making Discovery and anything to do with her would leave a huge and obvious gap in federation records that would attract the attention of Tal Shiar or similar factions.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Watching a video of the rep gear and the CQC stuff is looking to be another flail in the air job for the "weapon"
This discussion has been closed.