test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rise of Discovery: The Impossibility of Reason

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The second episode of #RiseofDiscovery, The Impossibility of Reason, will show players the path that lead Ellen Landry to being the woman we met in Season One of Discovery.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11151983

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Continuing to spoil unreleased missions to introduce follow-up ones?

Imagine if Marvel did this:

Blog for Infinity War that releases in 10 days: "And after Civil War, enjoy Infinity War where Thanos enters the party! Will our hero defeat him? Enjoy the work of Josh Brolin who will accompany you through the whole expansion."

Blog for Endgame, 2 days later, that will get unlocked after IW: "Following the victory of Thanos that resulted in half of the universe dead, the survivors must find a way to make things right. Learn why there won't be more *hero named censored* films after this one!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Impossibilty of reason? Reminds me of Landry's death scene.
    Continuing to spoil unreleased missions to introduce follow-up ones?
    What exactly is spoiled here? That Klingons escaped from the skirmishes on Prior's world, which would include Operation Riposte, and already released bit of content?
    Blog for the first mission: "On Tuesday, May 14th, journey to the Priors System in the Beta Quadrant and assist the crew of the U.S.S. Buran in mop-up operations following the liberation of Priors World from the Klingon Empire."

Blog for the second mission: "After Klingon captives from the Priors World skirmishes escape from custody, it’s a race to get back in time to aid the Buran against further Klingon attacks. With Commander Landry and her security team along for the battle, it’s up to you to rescue Buran, save Priors World from invasion, and stop the attacks by the Klingon Captain Aakar!"

Jeez, I wonder what's gonna happen in the first mission, how it's gonna end and how the second mission will start.

Exactly like how the Mirror of Discovery blogs spoiled the "twist" that Killy was actually lying to us, took over Pahvo with her troops and threatened the quadrant with it.
    #TASforSTO
  • fedayeen6fedayeen6 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    It's hard to get excited for this, no one cares about Ellen Landry.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @fedayeen6 said:
    > It's hard to get excited for this, no one cares about Ellen Landry.

I think it’s Lorca that people are getting excited about
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    So that's what that prepatch is all about.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    362.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    This was a pretty ambitious mission - a bit different. I, however, have a complaint. The jacket you get as a reward is NOT the same as the jacket you wear during the mission. Had I known this I would have selected the bat'leth.

please make the mission jacket available in some fashion. It is very nice.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Who wrote this plot ? I was physically grinding my teeth in the cave fight due to the stupid decisions that had been made, sadly I was enjoying the survival aspect up until the worst ambush and combat tactics since the Little Big Horn
  • arkle#8984 arkle Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I'd have much rather seen Landry's backstory on the show itself TBH, but I still liked this for the most part, one odd bug where I respawned way ahead of where I should've and had to backtrack to continue the mission. And the ending, yeah, I saw it coming but I won't front; I cried. I am such a f***ing softy.
    Characters: Rida Vodad (Trill), Niana (Orion), Karak'Son (Jem'Hadar), Jhanel Aphram (Andorian), Tevana (Romulan), Anahera Ngata (Human), Choadesh (Alien), Manek (Reman), C'Reta (Ferrasan), Kamak'Zun (Jem'Hedar), Joyal Krin (Cardassian), and Lur'Ast (Klingon).
    Tumblr: thehumanarkle.tumblr.com
    Twitter: @G33kOfAllTrades
    YouTube: youtube.com/user/arklestudios
    AO3 Pseudonym: ZeusParker
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    After you run the mission and either choose the batl'eth or the jacket, The jacket disappears from the rerun? Is this an accident or intentional?
    tomilak wrote: »
    After you run the mission and either choose the batl'eth or the jacket, The jacket disappears from the rerun? Is this an accident or intentional?

also, the batl'eth becomes blue.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The jacket is a costume unlock, so if you claim that it kinda makes sense. But I heard that not claiming it and going for the Bat'leth first makes it drop off and I think that is a bug. As for the Bat'leth turning blue... Don't know if that's intentional or a bug.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    If it is not a bug, *i am thinking it is* it wont matter much anyway, the one toon that picked bat'leth is a klingon, so he wont use the federation jacket anyway LOL.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    It's a bug. Getting fixed tomorrow.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I don't have time to run those Episodes anyway as I am running around trying to do the Endeavors, Discovery Marks runs, Doffing, and Admiralty in a limited time window. I'll get to them over the weekend.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Great Mission I love it thank you :)
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Different, fun and awesome to play - thank you Devs!
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    Honestly, I was disappointed.

It was basically Coliseum v1.5, except with thankfully more likable characters, good VA (while I doubt it, considering the ending, I hope to hear more of Rekha Sharma) and better animations.
    The rest was dull, full of idiot ball carriers, an idiot plot and Landry's development into a jerk in the show was rushed. I didn't like it.

Also, while adding tears for more emotional facial expression is welcome, please improve the textures and lighting, because these tears look more like someone dropped vaseline under Landry's eyes.
    My issues with the episode:
    -Why would the captain and their crew join Lorca's team in a tiny, unprotected shuttle, especially after a Klingon ambush?

-Lorca is supposedly in such a critical condition a starship medbay wouldn't be enough to keep him alive for long, but he does manage to survive days in a much worse environment than a supposedly inadequate starship medbay. Convenient...

-our ship doesn't even keep an eye on us as we travel to a space station

-Why don't we go to warp? Why must we use the old non-FTL way when we have a supposedly critically-injured valuable officer and survivors of an ambush?

-one-time transport to a cave barely a kilometer away from the crash site, WHAT?! I get that Lorca is once again supposedly critically injured, but seriously, that was the only way for him to reach that cave? Starfleet forgot that stretchers, even made of scrap, existed?

-"the tracks will vanish in a few hours before of the weather" Oh, that's a nice little twist to counter the usual "they'll track us down to our hiding place". Few minutes later: Oh hey, that was actually pointless and didn't help the slightest!

-"There is no way out of this cave outside the entrance" Errrr, excuse me? That icy wall behind looks very transparent and showing a lot of light... and we have phasers that can heat rocks for a while, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it'll be a way out very soon, and a very easy one at that.

-Why is the distress beacon in the cave? Wouldn't you want enough openness to increase your chance of people getting its transmissions?

-Andorian redshirt: "I have a happy family in addition to be a soldier" Congratz, the likeliness of your death before the end of the episode has reached 80 per... "and we're expecting another baby" nevermind, you're 100% dead.

-Engineer redshirt: "Yay, we won!" As Patel said, just stay under cover, you dumbass, we already know there will be more.

-Andorian redshirt: "I'll stall them." Err, you know we still have some cover before the cave and it's not like there is a currently visible escape way (actually there is, but the plot says we haven't noticed yet)... no? K, die well and senselessly. And you didn't even pull a Worf and tried to stab Akaar in the gut while he was about to bash your skull, you were so not useful, anyway.

-Landry: "the engi had the detonator" WHAT?! The whole point of it was to be the last trick in your sleeve to protect the cave! Why doesn't Lorca have it in the first place, he's the one who is the main target and in the cave!

-Also, why are the explosives so close to the place with supposedly no escape in the first place?

-As a reminder, the Buran was destroyed. Apparently, the pilot of the shuttle didn't get the memo, because he talks to Lorca like he's a member of his crew and that everything is fine, they were waiting for their captain to come back on the ship.
    #TASforSTO
    I chose the jacket in the first play before the patch. Now the batl'eth is still blue after the patch if I choose replay. Will this be fixed?

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    arkle#8984 wrote: »
    I'd have much rather seen Landry's backstory on the show itself TBH, but I still liked this for the most part, one odd bug where I respawned way ahead of where I should've and had to backtrack to continue the mission. And the ending, yeah, I saw it coming but I won't front; I cried. I am such a f***ing softy.

Congratulations, it means you are not made of stone.

That's a good thing, you know. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Can we please have the undershirt of the jacket from this mission as a standalone costume piece? The roll-neck knit jumper Lorca wore when he was incapacitated? It resembles what Jeffrey Hunter, Leonard Nimoy, et al wore in the original pilot way back when, is all.

Yes, OK, I'm a TOS purist, but that's just who I am. And the costume piece is just sitting right there, ready to use.

It could even be an off-duty piece, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it still accommodates the badge.
    Post edited by daderganonumbers on