test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Operation: Riposte Featured TFO

1234568»

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @warpangel said:
    > That happens when some clueless player is dragging a live transport around without delivering it.

Or when the Transport grounds itself on an asteroid and refuses to come loose, having the Tractor Beam stretch over a quarter of the map.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Been playing the map for a couple days now. It’s a good map.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Since there is a lack of an official feedback thread as of now (or I am too blind), here's my 2 cents worth on the featured TFO:

I actually kinda like this one. It has some diversity in tasks, you can speed up the first and last part by good play (or major DPS), arguably also the third, and while the second one is time gated it doesn't feel as bad as those gates where nothing is changing at all. Getting rid of the one-hit-kill missiles requires a bit of thought. For those who like it, the last part also doubles as a giant slaughterfest, although poor Aa is quickly running out of support. Definitely one of the better queues for me.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I liked this queue. It had a good variety of tasks.

I would eliminate the timer between phases. Once you complete one phase the next should start immediately. Also, it would be nice if there were some optionals, like not letting any missiles hit their transport targets.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I agree, it's a fun queue with an interesting mix of tasks.

I would eliminate the timer between phases. Once you complete one phase the next should start immediately. Also, it would be nice if there were some optionals, like not letting any missiles hit their transport targets.

Dunno about completely eliminating it, but the 43 seconds between stages 1 and 2 seem a bit excessive indeed.

A missile hitting target is already kind of an optional, since it destroys the transport and reduces marks. Which is more than can be said about optionals in missions :)
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I actually kinda like this one. It has some diversity in tasks, you can speed up the first and last part by good play (or major DPS), arguably also the third, and while the second one is time gated it doesn't feel as bad as those gates where nothing is changing at all.
    Indeed. Which makes me wonder what excuse there is for not going back and revising older TFOs to do this. Advice for dev team: go incognito in zone chats when something like Mirror Invasion is running and just listen; you'll readily find two things:

• people complaining about others deliberately being dead weight (AFKing) in public queues; and
    • other folks forming or seeking private groups for the express purpose of AFKing

Simply put: any TFO where it doesn't seem to matter how well folks perform encourages this behavior. Mirror Invasion is a huge offender in this regard; I've shared a possible solution here. Elachi Red Alert should be the opposite (players can actually help the science ships shut down the gate, and there is a reward multiplier affected by elapsed time, but said multiplier seems to not be being applied). Now, some have said that these hard timegates are in the service of 'metrics' (specifically, engagement)... but annoying your player base and encouraging deadheading do not seem to me acceptable collateral effects.
    Getting rid of the one-hit-kill missiles requires a bit of thought.
    Usually, it's best for 1 or 2 ships to head down and play goalkeeper while the others deal with the attack groups.
    For those who like it, the last part also doubles as a giant slaughterfest, although poor Aa is quickly running out of support.
    One possible way to address this could be to track how long players take to get to this point of the TFO. This could be similar to how the Elachi RA is supposed to work, but beating certain time thresholds means additional ships pop in during that fight, increasing the mark payout as well as providing additional XP.

There is also an opportunity for a companion TFO where the players are heading the team which boards the dreadnought to take the captain into custody (much like how Assault on Terok Nor complements Counterpoint).
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Everything in the mission is optional.
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    This TFO is definately overtuned for smaller chars. Skaling cant compensate the lack of epic weapons and the TFO isnt designed for mk xii either.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Everything in the mission is optional.
    When players can just sit back and twiddle thumbs then the mission was badly designed.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Could really do with a bit more randomness with where things spawn in.

The stations are obviously fixed points but does whatsisface son of whocares really have to appear exactly in the same spot every single time?

The invasion transport phase also is very much a go to point A and you'll be spawn killing the klinks affair. With the exception of the missiles at least.

It also seems like the AFKer's have now worked out that if they pewpew to the 2nd station they can stop without risking the penalty.
    It also seems like the AFKer's have now worked out that if they pewpew to the 2nd station they can stop without risking the penalty.
    Making an invisible minimum damage requirement to receive rewards is obviously not a priority. Making sure everything has to be a grind is more important.
    Usually, it's best for 1 or 2 ships to head down and play goalkeeper while the others deal with the attack groups.

Yes, but it requires a bit of coordination from players (although not so much teamwork):

1) You need to know whether you can goalkeep, i. e. whether you can reliably destroy missiles during flight.
    2) "Up at the transports" you need to have an overview over who's where and doing what. While probably one player per spawn point with aggro collection should be enough to keep everything in check, there will be players randomly moving around the map so you need to compensate.
    zarasz wrote: »
    When players can just sit back and twiddle thumbs then the mission was badly designed.

Only way to avoid that would be a fail condition even on normal. In the end, everything is optional, even playing the game is.
    This TFO is definately overtuned for smaller chars. Skaling cant compensate the lack of epic weapons and the TFO isnt designed for mk xii either.

Can't really say I got this feeling. Dunno how quickly you can burn down the shields on the stations but apart from that nothing screams "needs epic XV" to me. It will take longer on purple XII ofc. but should be doable just fine without having problems grabbing the extra marks.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »

Yes, but it requires a bit of coordination from players (although not so much teamwork):

1) You need to know whether you can goalkeep, i. e. whether you can reliably destroy missiles during flight.
    2) "Up at the transports" you need to have an overview over who's where and doing what. While probably one player per spawn point with aggro collection should be enough to keep everything in check, there will be players randomly moving around the map so you need to compensate.
    Someone competent needs to guard the gamma lane at all times. The spawns are in firing range and will kill the transport very fast. The rest can be left to the players randomly moving around.

Only way to avoid that would be a fail condition even on normal. In the end, everything is optional, even playing the game is.
    Fail conditions. Oh, how I miss them.

Can't really say I got this feeling. Dunno how quickly you can burn down the shields on the stations but apart from that nothing screams "needs epic XV" to me. It will take longer on purple XII ofc. but should be doable just fine without having problems grabbing the extra marks.
    It's effin easy like everything in STO and purple mk12 is hilarious overkill...if you know how to use it.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Nothing outside elite needs any upgraded gear to complete! Does it take some of the sting out of damage taken, yes. Does it make the enemies vanish faster, yes. Is it needed, no. It's only real purpose is to remove dilithium from the game and the average player who never goes into elites doesn't need to other than because peer pressure tells them they must.

Gamma lane usually gets ignored so I tend to wander over that way and depending on the group spread either lazily camp there or drift between gamma and beta. Very easy to do with a vanguard carrier where the pets actually obey the attack target without pausing for a bio before they move, even easier with wingmen strafing into a gravwell dropped on the groups that spawn far too clustered.

Wingmen can also be useful vs missiles that slip through the person acting as sweeper.
    I just read the patch notes for the patch tomorrow. The instant dying transports to any rift wont get adressed. Its been a week of not being able to save transports from instant death when overzealous players cant restrain themself. Or is that actually working as intended? I cant fathom why.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Anyone else wish they'd put those super-missiles in as the event reward instead of the whatever it was?
    why? they can be shoot down and are pretty slow... perfect if you need to do destructible torps endeavor. they can 1 shot a transport, but the transport has low hp and no shields I dont think.
    They are far faster and more durable than destructible torpedoes. And have a range of >30 km.
    Have you tried using Bio-neural warheads? I imagine it'd work out in practice much the same. Bios are technically a weapon, but behave more like a combat pet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    @postagepaid
    I recently witnessed an incident where the opinion was stated that players who don't have mark14/15 gear should only play normal content because the player expressing that opinion believed the other players' DPS was too low for them to participate in advanced level queues.
    This was in Undine Assault, which also uses the lane game mechanic.

That seemed arrogant to me, since nobody had ever mentioned that concern before in team chat.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • thorgal4thorgal4 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    "This event will also debut a brand new system for Star Trek Online. Earn progress toward a Free Ship by participating each day in the Featured TFO Events that will be running from now until Fall of 2019. By playing these three Events, you can earn Coupon Progress Tokens each day, allowing you to eventually claim a '100% Discount Coupon: Tier 6 Ship' that will allow you claim a free Tier 6 Starship of your choice from the Zen Store."

For me this blog talks about two separate new things, in is somewhat confusing as to how they interact. Does it mean that there will be three events, back to back with one event only available and 21 days of each for a total of 63 days? If so there is no way that 63 days takes into the "Fall of 2019". 63 days is obviously at most July 2019.

So I have to assume, since it says we will have a chance to run this daily (or does it mean 'daily only when an TFO is running') that there will be days when there is no prize granting traditional 21 day TFO, and we will be given a choice of Three Coupon granting TFO, also called Featured in the blog but perhaps more correctly termed Daily Featured?

Or does it mean that they will run only three traditional 21 day events between April 18th and ending on or after September 23rd, the official start of Fall this year?

Or does it mean that there will be a choice of Three featured TFO each day, two or three Daily Featured also granting one chance for coupons, and which would of course include any current 21 day event? So you would have a daily Choice after you finished the current event if any? If you don't have a choice you would build up a huge supply of extra featured TFO tokens, allowing you to finish future 21 day events with one or two runs. I doubt they intend that to happen.

BUT, that would seem over-generous as it would be possible to perhaps score two or three T6 ships as I count 168 days from April 18 to Sept 23 inclusive.

It also seems to me that, assuming only traditional 21 day featured TFO will count, that 168-63 equals 105 days with no Featured TFO which would also seem be highly unlikely. Or will only certain TFO be designated as granting Ship coupons?

Excluding desigantion and exclusion of some TFO from the free ship coupons, in all probability there will be more than just three events to achieve 60 days worth, exclusive of double days. If so we might have 84 or even 105 total days and two ships again becomes a possibility.

Unless there is a hard cap of One Ship.

Sorry for wall of text. Ambassador Kael could we have some Clarification please for us easily confused types?

Okay so the way I understand how it is the following.

- Starting from Thursday, we'll be able to start earning the 50 TFO coupons. You can earn 50 once every 20 hours. For most, they will likely end up with 1050 tokens after this first one is over. However, there are going to be some that may be able to time it right and do the bonus days which will grant 100 coupons instead of 50. So it'll lessen the time.

- Since they know not everyone can play 7 days a week, they have the plan going to allow players part take in many TFO events they plan on running, allowing even more casual players to finish them by fall.

Keep in mind, this will be the third overall TFO that they have ran now (we've had Pahvo Dissension, a week break, Peril over Pahvo, another week break and then Operation Riposte, which likely after we'll get a week break from.

• astral#0893 astral Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    thorgal4 wrote: »
    "This event will also debut a brand new system for Star Trek Online. Earn progress toward a Free Ship by participating each day in the Featured TFO Events that will be running from now until Fall of 2019. By playing these three Events, you can earn Coupon Progress Tokens each day, allowing you to eventually claim a '100% Discount Coupon: Tier 6 Ship' that will allow you claim a free Tier 6 Starship of your choice from the Zen Store."

For me this blog talks about two separate new things, in is somewhat confusing as to how they interact. Does it mean that there will be three events, back to back with one event only available and 21 days of each for a total of 63 days? If so there is no way that 63 days takes into the "Fall of 2019". 63 days is obviously at most July 2019.

So I have to assume, since it says we will have a chance to run this daily (or does it mean 'daily only when an TFO is running') that there will be days when there is no prize granting traditional 21 day TFO, and we will be given a choice of Three Coupon granting TFO, also called Featured in the blog but perhaps more correctly termed Daily Featured?

Or does it mean that they will run only three traditional 21 day events between April 18th and ending on or after September 23rd, the official start of Fall this year?

Or does it mean that there will be a choice of Three featured TFO each day, two or three Daily Featured also granting one chance for coupons, and which would of course include any current 21 day event? So you would have a daily Choice after you finished the current event if any? If you don't have a choice you would build up a huge supply of extra featured TFO tokens, allowing you to finish future 21 day events with one or two runs. I doubt they intend that to happen.

BUT, that would seem over-generous as it would be possible to perhaps score two or three T6 ships as I count 168 days from April 18 to Sept 23 inclusive.

It also seems to me that, assuming only traditional 21 day featured TFO will count, that 168-63 equals 105 days with no Featured TFO which would also seem be highly unlikely. Or will only certain TFO be designated as granting Ship coupons?

Excluding desigantion and exclusion of some TFO from the free ship coupons, in all probability there will be more than just three events to achieve 60 days worth, exclusive of double days. If so we might have 84 or even 105 total days and two ships again becomes a possibility.

Sorry for wall of text. Ambassador Kael could we have some Clarification please for us easily confused types?

- Starting from Thursday, we'll be able to start earning the 50 TFO coupons. You can earn 50 once every 20 hours. For most, they will likely end up with 1050 tokens after this first one is over. However, there are going to be some that may be able to time it right and do the bonus days which will grant 100 coupons instead of 50. So it'll lessen the time.

- Since they know not everyone can play 7 days a week, they have the plan going to allow players part take in many TFO events they plan on running, allowing even more casual players to finish them by fall.

Keep in mind, this will be the third overall TFO that they have ran now (we've had Pahvo Dissension, a week break, Peril over Pahvo, another week break and then Operation Riposte, which likely after we'll get a week break from.

So those of us that only hold to Gene's Vision & know 2009 Et All & Discovery are ridiculous shams, have nothing to do until normal programming resumes. If everybody had & upheld the principles we are all born with, then there would be no BS in the world & trust would be trustworthy.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Big radius aoe heal like the lukari console makes it a 50/50 chance that they won't die there.

If they decide to go poof then there's no stopping them.

I haven't seen them go spontaneously poof (which is just a point for contrast to say there might be some variables to the poofing.) When towing check their status effects, they can be affected by at least some lingering DOT effects and if someone's specializing in science magic they could be using some abilities with a delayed exotic damage hit (ex. maybe one of the secondary deflectors.)

My TAC Romulan doesn't have any of that, 100% success rate so far once I get the probe away from warp core explosions (though I have seen them take damage from what other people have cast, just not enough for poofing.)

I think it is mainly the Klingons shooting at them rather than DOTs. My science captain has a lot of those but normally does not loose transports unless a Klingon ship is in firing range (it could be the invisible torpedo bug or similar). One that I was towing had the harg'peng radiation on it almost the entire way, and when it exploded the transport survived (even though it never had much in the way of hit points) and it did not seem to damage it. That DOT issue does seem to be rather erratic though and sometimes it may go the other way.

One thing that helps is to hit evasive maneuvers to get out of range of the Klingons faster and for science captains Scattering Pulse (perhaps burning an aux battery to boost it too) to protect it somewhat.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Anyone else wish they'd put those super-missiles in as the event reward instead of the whatever it was?

why? they can be shoot down and are pretty slow... perfect if you need to do destructible torps endeavor. they can 1 shot a transport, but the transport has low hp and no shields I dont think.
    They are far faster and more durable than destructible torpedoes. And have a range of >30 km.

Those surface-to-space missiles are also much too big to put on a ship realistically. One of them bumped into my escort (well, Vulcan scout anyway) and it was close to the same size, like an ICBM is at launch.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    fediii wrote: »
    thorgal4 wrote: »

So those of us that only hold to Gene's Vision & know 2009 Et All & Discovery are ridiculous shams, have nothing to do until normal programming resumes. If everybody had & upheld the principles we are all born with, then there would be no BS in the world & trust would be trustworthy.

First of all, what does your rant have to do with doing Operation Riposte and please do not act like the gatekeeper since those who disagree with you may also hold the Great Bird of the Galaxy's vision for Star Trek. Secondly, who knows what Roddenberry would think of Star Trek 2009 and the rest of those movies as well as Star Trek: Discovery, since the man is not alive anymore. Thirdly, you have things to do in game whether you like Star Trek: Discovery or not. Finally, It would be nice if everybody had and upheld the principles that they were taught and not just born with but we live in an imperfect world, so there will always be junk in the world and sadly people who you cannot trust. But there are also people you can trust, they exist even if they are a few in number. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.