test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Operation: Riposte Featured TFO

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Am I the only one who is happy that we're finally getting a chance as f2p players, to get a T6 ship without having to refine hundreds of thousands of dilithium?
    At least 3 free T6 ships have been given as event rewards every year since T6 ships were introduced.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They did say without having to refine tons of dilithium, which is the only F2P way of obtaining a STORE ship.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is happy that we're finally getting a chance as f2p players, to get a T6 ship without having to refine hundreds of thousands of dilithium?

No, lots of people are happy they can get a free T6 ship. This is one of many free T6 ships a F2P player can get over the year when you include Summer event, Winter event and Anniversary. What they dont like is the percieved grind to get said ship as it would have been nicer to have a choice of episodes to play to earn tokens instead of the same one over and over.

Like 60 new episodes to play? Have they ever released 60 new episodes in one go before (aside from the when the game launched)? And I assume you'd want quality episodes that will both challenge and entertain you as well? Or 30, with you having to replay them all? or 15 with multiple replays to get the rewards you want? Or simply add them to existing missions? Would you cap how many token you could get a day? Because unless you do, peeps like me will easily have our free ship after a few days.

It's easy to say the Devs should have done XYZ, but it needs more thought then that.

TFOs are repetitive. But they should be. They are the "Dungeons" of STO - we have both Space and Ground ones, with three levels of difficulty. Sometimes, when you are aiming for a reward - it's nice to have had prior experience so you know what pit falls to avoid, lol.

Tying the Ship Voucher to the Event? I can see the wisdom in that. You want to make sure people have a chance each day to play it. Just adding it to TFOs in general wouldn't work, unless you can access the "play random TFO" button. That could nerf it for low level players doing this. It has to be a specific (or perhaps a specific set) of TFOs that all players, lvl 10 and up can access.

Also, events are a tried and tested way of rewarding players with something extra ordinary, such as the T6 scalable Vulcan ship, or the levelling Mirror Universe Armor. We're getting an Event Reward with this TFO, extra Marks, Dil and points towards a free ship. Four rewards. The next TFO will offer a new Event Reward, as well Marks, Dil and points to the free ship, and yes there will a third Event to complete this. That's a lot of stuff to take home, so to speak.

Getting the free T6 ship voucher shouldn't be as easy as getting an Event ship. It has to have more commitment to getting it. And us F2P players are going to be motivated to do this.

Plus, this is a test. This is not the final system the Devs are to put in place (if this becomes a regular thing). Tweaking is going to happen
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    warpangel wrote: »
    At least 3 free T6 ships have been given as event rewards every year since T6 ships were introduced.

But this time, you get to choose which one you want.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Reading through a lot of the comments on here, it's clear that a lot of peeps are not bother to read the post about how all this works.

For those that don't enjoy these events; don't play them.

I've enjoyed the TFO - it's not been buggy any of the times I've played it. I like the idea of working to earn that free ship - I have 300/3000 as of today. By Monday that will sit at 500/3000. Unless there is another bonus weekend, the most we are going to be able to earn towards that free ship is 1,300 (5 Days @ 100, 16 days @ 50). That's over 40% of what we need (if you hit all the days).

I like the fact that each TFO is ALSO going to offer a specific reward. No, we are not getting the big reward quickly - they are making us work for it. Which is good. Scalable T6 ships - account unlocked - shouldn't just be given away. We should work for them (or pay for them). Price of playing a F2P MMO :-)

I look forward to what the next TFO will be after this one, and I look forward to enjoying the new ship I'm going to get (already know which one it's going to be).

i've read and understood it, and i've not interest in a token that is under half the value of the summer or winter t6 ships in token value. by all means if you want to jump through extra hoops and grind tfo's forever, that is your choice, just like i'm not going for this lack of value token for a free t6 is mine.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    i've read and understood it, and i've not interest in a token that is under half the value of the summer or winter t6 ships in token value. by all means if you want to jump through extra hoops and grind tfo's forever, that is your choice, just like i'm not going for this lack of value token for a free t6 is mine.

Of course you are welcome to your choice.

Fortunately, for those that participate it won't take forever. By the end of this run, like many others, I'll be almost halfway there.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    This is pretty badly bugged for my runs. The Klingon transports instantly die in seconds so we cannot save any of them. Within 2 seconds of a tractor lock its dead. Plus after everything dies super fast a few times nothing else spawns so we sit watching a pointless timer count down for close to 2 mins with no ships spawning. Which kind of saps the fun out of this along with it being super easy to the point of removing all feeling of accomplishment. The bugs need fixing and it needs making harder/more challenging.
    ltminns wrote: »
    They blew themselves up to die honorably. ;)

This. I even got a message when I lost one that it was blown up.

Still, we've managed between 6 and 8 transports per run.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Reading through a lot of the comments on here, it's clear that a lot of peeps are not bother to read the post about how all this works.

I've enjoyed the TFO - it's not been buggy any of the times I've played it. I like the idea of working to earn that free ship - I have 300/3000 as of today. By Monday that will sit at 500/3000. Unless there is another bonus weekend, the most we are going to be able to earn towards that free ship is 1,300 (5 Days @ 100, 16 days @ 50). That's over 40% of what we need (if you hit all the days).

I like the fact that each TFO is ALSO going to offer a specific reward. No, we are not getting the big reward quickly - they are making us work for it. Which is good. Scalable T6 ships - account unlocked - shouldn't just be given away. We should work for them (or pay for them). Price of playing a F2P MMO :-)

I look forward to what the next TFO will be after this one, and I look forward to enjoying the new ship I'm going to get (already know which one it's going to be).

I usually play the FTFOs anyway since they are usually a better rep payout than the regular TFOs, and it is just one run a day so I do not see any problems. It might be different if all my characters were up to six on all of their reps, but that is not likely to happen for a while. As it is, it is just a big eventual bonus for doing what I would be doing anyway.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    This is pretty badly bugged for my runs. The Klingon transports instantly die in seconds so we cannot save any of them. Within 2 seconds of a tractor lock its dead. Plus after everything dies super fast a few times nothing else spawns so we sit watching a pointless timer count down for close to 2 mins with no ships spawning. Which kind of saps the fun out of this along with it being super easy to the point of removing all feeling of accomplishment. The bugs need fixing and it needs making harder/more challenging.
    ltminns wrote: »
    They blew themselves up to die honorably. ;)

This. I even got a message when I lost one that it was blown up.

Still, we've managed between 6 and 8 transports per run.
    I am still having no luck. Getting around 1 per run for the entire team if we are lucky. Even turned my weapons off auto fire but that didn't help.
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > echatty wrote: »
    >
    > pottsey5g wrote: »
    >
    > This is pretty badly bugged for my runs. The Klingon transports instantly die in seconds so we cannot save any of them. Within 2 seconds of a tractor lock its dead. Plus after everything dies super fast a few times nothing else spawns so we sit watching a pointless timer count down for close to 2 mins with no ships spawning. Which kind of saps the fun out of this along with it being super easy to the point of removing all feeling of accomplishment. The bugs need fixing and it needs making harder/more challenging.
    >
    >
    >
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > They blew themselves up to die honorably. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This. I even got a message when I lost one that it was blown up.
    >
    > Still, we've managed between 6 and 8 transports per run.
    >
    >
    >
    > I am still having no luck. Getting around 1 per run for the entire team if we are lucky. Even turned my weapons off auto fire but that didn't help.

Every team I've been on, we've managed 6-8 per run. Had one blow up on me today, but that was because I tractord the ship, and the Klingons fired on it and blew it up.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > echatty wrote: »
    >
    > pottsey5g wrote: »
    >
    > This is pretty badly bugged for my runs. The Klingon transports instantly die in seconds so we cannot save any of them. Within 2 seconds of a tractor lock its dead. Plus after everything dies super fast a few times nothing else spawns so we sit watching a pointless timer count down for close to 2 mins with no ships spawning. Which kind of saps the fun out of this along with it being super easy to the point of removing all feeling of accomplishment. The bugs need fixing and it needs making harder/more challenging.
    >
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > They blew themselves up to die honorably. ;)
    >
    > This. I even got a message when I lost one that it was blown up.
    >
    > Still, we've managed between 6 and 8 transports per run.
    >
    > I am still having no luck. Getting around 1 per run for the entire team if we are lucky. Even turned my weapons off auto fire but that didn't help.

Every team I've been on, we've managed 6-8 per run. Had one blow up on me today, but that was because I tractord the ship, and the Klingons fired on it and blew it up.
    my experience is that they seem magnetically attracted to warp core breaches. If you can avoid that it's usually fine.

The final boss wave usually eats a chain breach. There is almost always at least one player using grav well and that group of ships sticks close to the dread, and often dies on it. Good thing we don't need to worry about accidentally destroying it...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

I usually play the FTFOs anyway since they are usually a better rep payout than the regular TFOs, and it is just one run a day so I do not see any problems. It might be different if all my characters were up to six on all of their reps, but that is not likely to happen for a while. As it is, it is just a big eventual bonus for doing what I would be doing anyway.

i'm not fussed, i can wait a few months and come back later in the year when the stipend has reached 3k and buy another t6 ship, in between that i can get the t6 risian corvette and whatever the winter t6 is in 50 days combined. if this years anniversary was worth anything i would of gone for that however i gained enough stipend zen earlier on for the gagarin, so potentially 4/6 isn't a bad haul and i'll take that over the type of event this is.

My attention is already on preparing for the summer event.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    my experience is that they seem magnetically attracted to warp core breaches. If you can avoid that it's usually fine.

If you're quick on the tractor beam and position yourself to avoid explosions its usually pretty easy to pull them out, I haven't lost one (that I was after) since I made a point of that. ;)

One thing to note (which I noticed with an ally using the harpeng torpedo) is that lingering DoT effects may still effect the transports once they swap from enemy to ally, so if folks are having a lot of trouble keeping any of them alive check your build to see if there's any lingering abilities that might be nuking the transports after the change over.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I had a captured Transport get stuck on an asteroid. My Tractor Beam was literally across nearly a quarter of the map. He was still tractored to me when the Dreadnought showed up
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    FYI: You can heal the Klingon transports once they're disabled.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

Yeah I dunno if shield heals work but I threw hazzard emitters on a transport I was tractoring and it healed to full by the time I got to the fleet even with damage from klingons trying to kill it.
    Healing is possible if they're away from the stramash.

Big radius aoe heal like the lukari console makes it a 50/50 chance that they won't die there.

If they decide to go poof then there's no stopping them.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019

Big radius aoe heal like the lukari console makes it a 50/50 chance that they won't die there.

If they decide to go poof then there's no stopping them.

I haven't seen them go spontaneously poof (which is just a point for contrast to say there might be some variables to the poofing.) When towing check their status effects, they can be affected by at least some lingering DOT effects and if someone's specializing in science magic they could be using some abilities with a delayed exotic damage hit (ex. maybe one of the secondary deflectors.)

My TAC Romulan doesn't have any of that, 100% success rate so far once I get the probe away from warp core explosions (though I have seen them take damage from what other people have cast, just not enough for poofing.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I am not really a F2P player, but I doubt you're alone.

Who knows -maybe at the end of this 3 TFOs you won't just have a Tier 6 ship of your choice, but also the Dilithium to upgrade its equipment to Mark XV!

And at the end of Summer, you might also have a Risan Corvette on top of that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

The Summer and Winter events do not reward you with the TFO marks, just with the reward to get the respective ship.
    The Tier 6 Triple-TFO awards you the same rewards as any 3 TFOs would give you, plus the tokens to get a single Tier 6 ship.
    So , for example the Summer Event gets you one exclusive Tier 6 ship predetermined by Cryptic.
    The 3 TFOs get you a Tier 6 C-Store ship of your choice, 150,000 Dilithium, 1,500 Fleet Marks and 750 Marks of your choice, 3 TFO Reward Boxes (choice of 1 Specialization Point or 1 Universal Tech Upgrade each) and some special item (like a new universal console).
    If it's the problem I encountered, the ships explode to quickly to heal them, they are basically dead on turning to blue. I figured it must have been warp core breaches that destroyed them, but I am not certain.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    anti-ship missiles... they should change the voice over... you dont need 3 people flying down to shoot down missiles. 1 person is good, 2 is over kill. mobs can also spawn right in shooting range of the transports in the gamma zone... unless your parked right on top of the transport and can AE the mobs right after they spawn... transport goes bye bye. (not sure if this also happens in Alpha & Beta)
    Anyone else wish they'd put those super-missiles in as the event reward instead of the whatever it was?
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Anyone else wish they'd put those super-missiles in as the event reward instead of the whatever it was?

why? they can be shoot down and are pretty slow... perfect if you need to do destructible torps endeavor. they can 1 shot a transport, but the transport has low hp and no shields I dont think.
  • astral#0893 astral Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    So, came looking for the forum talk about tier 6 ships, can't find it, but did notice in other comments that it is odd someone noticed the typo with the word Now / Not, but the same person doesn't know they used the wrong word in say ''Sinking Suspension'' Instead of ''Sinking Suspicion''
    crash490r wrote: »
    Since I've seen it asked a bunch this morning: This is a brand new TFO, now an updated Gateway to Gre'thor. In the future, if we ever do a reimagined TFO again, I'll let you guys know when we first announce it.

Oof. At least Gateway is slightly more fun to play than Gauntlet. I had the sinking suspension this was going to be another remaster when I read the blog.

Something that helps save the transports more reliably than simply trying to heal their corpse is to be heading away from the bunch when you tractor it which should drag it out to a safer distance.
    tigeraries wrote: »

why? they can be shoot down and are pretty slow... perfect if you need to do destructible torps endeavor. they can 1 shot a transport, but the transport has low hp and no shields I dont think.
    They are far faster and more durable than destructible torpedoes. And have a range of >30 km.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    I noticed something today. When the transports are blue but no tractor beam is on them they take zero friendly fire DoT damage. Its only when you engage the tractor beam that friendly DoT damage all of a sudden kills them in 2 seconds or less.

We are still running into nothing spawns and wait for the timer to count down for ages. I think its because the transport die in seconds we get though 10 very fast and so spend more then half the time waiting for a timer.
    We are still running into nothing spawns and wait for the timer to count down for ages. I think its because the transport die in seconds we get though 10 very fast and so spend more then half the time waiting for a timer.
    That happens when some clueless player is dragging a live transport around without delivering it.
    The anti ship missiles seem to have a better "dodge" rate than standard destructibles going by the number of times I've seen others shooting them and beams going all over the shop.